The goal of science is to build better mousetraps. The goal of nature is to build better mice.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

SubjectAuthor
* tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemwAYNE
+* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemMike Easter
|+- Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemMike Easter
|`* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemwAYNE
| `- Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemMike Easter
+* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemBobbie Sellers
|`* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemwAYNE
| `- Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemBobbie Sellers
+- Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemMike Easter
+* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemstepore
|`* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemwAYNE
| `- Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemstepore
`* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break myMarco Moock
 `* Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my systemmechanic
  `- Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break myMarco Moock

1
tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfj4ht$1m249$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2681&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2681

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:53:48 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 22:53 UTC

Well, since KDE Plasma somehow causes Firefox to freeze when trying to
upload videos and images to Facebook and other websites, I went back to
Wayland for the time being, but also tried to install Unity (which is
what I'm most used to) using these instructions:

https://www.makeuseof.com/install-unity-desktop-ubuntu-22-04/

However, this seemed to break my system! Maybe not totally, but at the
log in screen, even after selecting Unity and inputting password, it
would come back to the log in screen. Never did gain Unity access.
Booting into Wayland, I was getting the system problem detected message
and shutting down lagged for at least a min. So, not knowing what's
going on here, I don't think I'll try installing Unity again. Luckily,
I had a back up made early this AM of just KDE and Wayland.

Since Wayland allows the image/ video uploads without Firefox freezing,
I guess I'll have to go with Wayland for the time being.

Any thoughts on why Unity wouldn't install/ run properly welcome. My
guess is that it was interfering with the other sessions somehow, but
why would Wayland / KDE interfere?

I don't have much use for KDE if I can't upload with Firefox without
freezing. If a solution can't be found and I have to keep using only
Wayland, how would I uninstall KDE?

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<jo4le1F63rhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2682&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2682

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:37:36 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 23:37 UTC

wAYNE wrote:
> tried to install Unity

I prefer to try distro/s as live boots rather than installs.

There is an Ub Unity 22.04 spin; also a 20.04.5 one.

Why don't you try that and see if it will do what you want.
https://ubuntuunity.org/download/

--
Mike Easter

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfj7jj$1lrrs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2683&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2683

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:45:54 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 23:45 UTC

On 9/10/22 15:53, wAYNE wrote:
> Well, since KDE Plasma somehow causes Firefox to freeze when trying to
> upload videos and images to Facebook and other websites, I went back to
> Wayland for the time being, but also tried to install Unity (which is
> what I'm most used to) using these instructions:
>
>  https://www.makeuseof.com/install-unity-desktop-ubuntu-22-04/
>
> However, this seemed to break my system!  Maybe not totally, but at the
> log in screen, even after selecting Unity and inputting password, it
> would come back to the log in screen.  Never did gain Unity access.
> Booting into Wayland, I was getting the system problem detected message
> and shutting down lagged for at least a min.  So, not knowing what's
> going on here, I don't think I'll try installing Unity again.  Luckily,
> I had a back up made early this AM of just KDE and Wayland.
>
> Since Wayland allows the image/ video uploads without Firefox freezing,
> I guess I'll have to go with Wayland for the time being.
>
> Any thoughts on why Unity wouldn't install/ run properly welcome.  My
> guess is that it was interfering with the other sessions somehow, but
> why would Wayland / KDE interfere?
>
> I don't have much use for KDE if I can't upload with Firefox without
> freezing.  If a solution can't be found and I have to keep using only
> Wayland, how would I uninstall KDE?

I don't know but do you have your system set to resume previous session?

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfjanl$1mtg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2684&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2684

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 20:39:16 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 00:39 UTC

On 9/10/22 19:45, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 9/10/22 15:53, wAYNE wrote:
>> Well, since KDE Plasma somehow causes Firefox to freeze when trying to
>> upload videos and images to Facebook and other websites, I went back
>> to Wayland for the time being, but also tried to install Unity (which
>> is what I'm most used to) using these instructions:
>>
>>   https://www.makeuseof.com/install-unity-desktop-ubuntu-22-04/
>>
>> However, this seemed to break my system!  Maybe not totally, but at
>> the log in screen, even after selecting Unity and inputting password,
>> it would come back to the log in screen.  Never did gain Unity access.
>> Booting into Wayland, I was getting the system problem detected
>> message and shutting down lagged for at least a min.  So, not knowing
>> what's going on here, I don't think I'll try installing Unity again.
>> Luckily, I had a back up made early this AM of just KDE and Wayland.
>>
>> Since Wayland allows the image/ video uploads without Firefox
>> freezing, I guess I'll have to go with Wayland for the time being.
>>
>> Any thoughts on why Unity wouldn't install/ run properly welcome.  My
>> guess is that it was interfering with the other sessions somehow, but
>> why would Wayland / KDE interfere?
>>
>> I don't have much use for KDE if I can't upload with Firefox without
>> freezing.  If a solution can't be found and I have to keep using only
>> Wayland, how would I uninstall KDE?
>
>     I don't know but do you have your system set to resume previous
> session?
>
>     bliss

I used this to hopefully completely uninstall Plasma KDE after I
reinstalled my backup (before the Unity tryout and failure):
https://trendoceans.com/how-to-remove-the-kde-plasma-environment-in-ubuntu/
However, this created a problem just like described in the comments
(after enabling and starting gdm3, it wouldn't remain after boot up).
The solution was found elsewhere and that was to reconfigure gdm3.
So, I'm back to Wayland and to stay I guess. I sort of liked Plasma
KDE, but I preferred the simpler Unity and since I can't install that
without system breakage: Wayland.

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<jo4qguF6qecU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2685&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2685

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:04:29 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 01:04 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> There is an Ub Unity 22.04 spin;

I booted a live Ub Unity 22.04; I looked into enabling Wayland as the
default was x11. The dm is lightdm; the instructions I find for enabling
wayland are for gdm, so I didn't know how to do that.

I'm not familiar w/ Unity; I haven't seen it for some time.

--
Mike Easter

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfjd3s$1n1j8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2686&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2686

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:19:55 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 01:19 UTC

On 9/10/22 17:39, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/10/22 19:45, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>> On 9/10/22 15:53, wAYNE wrote:
>>> Well, since KDE Plasma somehow causes Firefox to freeze when trying
>>> to upload videos and images to Facebook and other websites, I went
>>> back to Wayland for the time being, but also tried to install Unity
>>> (which is what I'm most used to) using these instructions:
>>>
>>>   https://www.makeuseof.com/install-unity-desktop-ubuntu-22-04/
>>>
>>> However, this seemed to break my system!  Maybe not totally, but at
>>> the log in screen, even after selecting Unity and inputting password,
>>> it would come back to the log in screen.  Never did gain Unity
>>> access. Booting into Wayland, I was getting the system problem
>>> detected message and shutting down lagged for at least a min.  So,
>>> not knowing what's going on here, I don't think I'll try installing
>>> Unity again. Luckily, I had a back up made early this AM of just KDE
>>> and Wayland.
>>>
>>> Since Wayland allows the image/ video uploads without Firefox
>>> freezing, I guess I'll have to go with Wayland for the time being.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on why Unity wouldn't install/ run properly welcome.  My
>>> guess is that it was interfering with the other sessions somehow, but
>>> why would Wayland / KDE interfere?
>>>
>>> I don't have much use for KDE if I can't upload with Firefox without
>>> freezing.  If a solution can't be found and I have to keep using only
>>> Wayland, how would I uninstall KDE?
>>
>>      I don't know but do you have your system set to resume previous
>> session?
>>
>>      bliss
>>

> I used this to hopefully completely uninstall Plasma KDE after I
> reinstalled my backup (before the Unity tryout and failure):
>
> https://trendoceans.com/how-to-remove-the-kde-plasma-environment-in-ubuntu/
>
> However, this created a problem just like described in the comments
> (after enabling and starting gdm3, it wouldn't remain after boot up).
> The solution was found elsewhere and that was to reconfigure gdm3.
>
> So, I'm back to Wayland and to stay I guess.  I sort of liked Plasma
> KDE, but I preferred the simpler Unity and since I can't install that
> without system breakage: Wayland.

Well lack-a-day... Have you tried booting up from a Live Unity medium,
preferable a Flash Drive? Then you get a chance to see if your hardware
is recognized and perhaps capable of being installed. I hope
that you saw the previous suggestion to try that from Mike Easter.

bliss - who started with KDE 3.9.x and ain't about to put on the
straitjacket of Unity at my advanced age.
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<jo59sgFagqqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2687&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2687

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 22:26:39 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 05:26 UTC

wAYNE wrote:
> Any thoughts on why Unity wouldn't install/ run properly welcome.  My
> guess is that it was interfering with the other sessions somehow, but
> why would Wayland / KDE interfere?

As well as I can tell, Unity (such as 7.6) is not compatible w/ Wayland.

Unity wants lightdm & x11. Wayland wants gdm. Also, I booted a KDE
Neon whose plasma is 5.25.4 and its dm is SDDM which I don't think is
ready for Wayland either.

Oh, I see. I forgot that the Neon is on Ub 20.04, it has fresh kde but
older Ub. Maybe I could get wayland on a Kub 22.04.

--
Mike Easter

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfjsjv$1r470$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2688&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2688

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 22:44:25 -0700
 by: stepore - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 05:44 UTC

On 9/10/22 15:53, wAYNE wrote:
> Well, since KDE Plasma somehow causes Firefox to freeze when trying to
> upload videos and images to Facebook and other websites, I went back to
> Wayland for the time being,

You don't really understand the terms or the technology you're using.

Wayland / X11 (Xorg) are Display Servers.

KDE Plasma / Gnome / Unity / XFCE / LXQT / MATE / Cinnamon /
Enlightenment etc., are Desktop Environments. You can install and use
any one of them or all of them on your Display Server.

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfk54t$1rcf6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2689&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2689

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my
system
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 10:10:02 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 08:10 UTC

Am Samstag, 10. September 2022, um 18:53:48 Uhr schrieb wAYNE:

> Any thoughts on why Unity wouldn't install/ run properly welcome. My
> guess is that it was interfering with the other sessions somehow, but
> why would Wayland / KDE interfere?

Maybe try Unity with X11 instead of Wayland. I don't know if Unity
supports Wayland.

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfkjnp$1t9cf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2690&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2690

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 08:19:04 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:19 UTC

On 9/11/22 1:44 AM, stepore wrote:
> On 9/10/22 15:53, wAYNE wrote:
>> Well, since KDE Plasma somehow causes Firefox to freeze when trying to
>> upload videos and images to Facebook and other websites, I went back to
>> Wayland for the time being,
>
> You don't really understand the terms or the technology you're using.

I can agree with that.

> Wayland / X11 (Xorg) are Display Servers.
>
> KDE Plasma / Gnome / Unity / XFCE / LXQT / MATE / Cinnamon /
> Enlightenment etc., are Desktop Environments. You can install and use
> any one of them or all of them on your Display Server.

Since I only ever do actual fresh Ubuntu installs about once per decade
(preferring to upgrade from prior versions instead), I usually don't end
up with different display servers/ desktop environments. This time
though, since the upgrade didn't go very well, decided to do a fresh
install of 22.04 on my laptop, although the desktop upgraded fine. The
closer I could keep the original appearance to the new, the better
because it is what I was used to.

It sounds to me like you're saying that KDE, Gnome, etc are used under
one of the display servers (Wayland, etc)? If so, then the "desktop
environment" would have to be compatible with the "display server"? If
so, that's probably why I couldn't get Unity to run correctly with
Wayland.

In any case, all fixed now. I'm sticking with the basics, Wayland, and
whatever natively comes with it. I'll get used to the slight
differences between it and my other PC which still used the same desktop
environment since I only upgraded and didn't do a fresh install.

I just need Ubuntu to work for business purposes (and some pleasure but
not the primary purpose). The more I have to tinker around with it, the
more I lose out.

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfkl77$1tddk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2691&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2691

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 08:44:22 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:44 UTC

On 9/10/22 7:37 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> wAYNE wrote:
>> tried to install Unity
>
> I prefer to try distro/s as live boots rather than installs.
>
> There is an Ub Unity 22.04 spin; also a 20.04.5 one.
>
> Why don't you try that and see if it will do what you want.
> https://ubuntuunity.org/download/

I've tried live in the past, but horrendously slow on my sub par
systems. I've tried both DVD and USB thumb drives and neither are very
fast. I will use live if I have to, such as when I need gparted to
reconfigure partitions, etc but beyond that it's far too slow to be that
workable.

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<jo69bnFf90tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2692&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2692

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 07:23:50 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:23 UTC

wAYNE wrote:
> I've tried live in the past, but horrendously slow on my sub par
> systems.  I've tried both DVD and USB thumb drives and neither are very
> fast.  I will use live if I have to, such as when I need gparted to
> reconfigure partitions, etc but beyond that it's far too slow to be that
> workable.

I boot live from USB (2 not 3) and my desktops are not 'robust' but
typically have 8G of ram, so the live runs in ram, which is fast. Long
long ago I used to boot live from optical, slow.

My current USB strategy is Ventoy so that I can put a bunch of .iso/s on
one stick.

--
Mike Easter

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfm5ru$25suc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2693&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2693

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 19:34:33 -0700
 by: stepore - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 02:34 UTC

On 9/11/22 05:19, wAYNE wrote:

> It sounds to me like you're saying that KDE, Gnome, etc are used under
> one of the display servers (Wayland, etc)?

Correct. Wayland or X11.

> If so, then the "desktop
> environment" would have to be compatible with the "display server"?

Correct.

> If
> so, that's probably why I couldn't get Unity to run correctly with
> Wayland.

I have Unity and Gnome, and XFCE and Openbox and LXDE all working under
X11. Wayland's not ready for me yet (video card issues and missing
features I still use). I still with X11 for now.

> In any case, all fixed now. I'm sticking with the basics, Wayland, and
> whatever natively comes with it.

Default Ubuntu uses Wayland/Gnome.

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<kz2kizyuka4t$.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2694&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2694

From: mechanic@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:11:26 +0100
 by: mechanic - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:11 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 10:10:02 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> I don't know if Unity supports Wayland.

Wayland supports ubuntu-unity?

Re: tried to install Unity in 22.04 and it seemed to break my system

<tfnjlh$29if5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2695&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2695

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
system
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:36:17 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:36 UTC

Am Montag, 12. September 2022, um 16:11:26 Uhr schrieb mechanic:

> Wayland supports ubuntu-unity?

I don't know, so try out X11.