From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Stack Overflow volunteer moderators strike over AI-generated post policy
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 7 Jul 2023 09:50:29 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 23:50 UTC

I'm a month late to find out about this, but maybe still worth
posting here for those like me who only visit these sites when web
searches happen to point them there. The Stack Overflow family of
websites have banned moderators from deleting AI-generated posts,
and in response many mods have gone on strike.

https://meta.stackexchange.com/q/389811

Actually it's also partly about the pausing of "data dumps" of
contributed content on the websites (since resumed), apparantly
prompted by AI providers harvesting it to improve their chat bots,
which is also said to be what prompted Reddit to start charging for
API access, causing a similar reaction over there.

Interestingly, the graphs on this page show that Stack Overflow
has been in decline for some years now. Clearly those users haven't
been switching back to Usenet though.

https://jlericson.com/2023/06/26/problem_ai.html

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Stack Overflow volunteer moderators strike over AI-generated post policy

<u88m1p$1983d$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2679&group=comp.misc#2679

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Stack Overflow volunteer moderators strike over AI-generated
post policy
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:31:36 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:31 UTC

Am 07.07.2023 schrieb not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev):

> The Stack Overflow family of
> websites have banned moderators from deleting AI-generated posts,
> and in response many mods have gone on strike.

Very often KI bot posts contain much bullshit because they harvest wrong
information or interpret it a wrong way.

Not deleting that will make an entire platform a shithole.

Denying moderator to delete that is a very, very bad decision.

Re: Stack Overflow volunteer moderators strike over AI-generated post policy

<G9j*gEFkz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2680&group=comp.misc#2680

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 07 Jul 2023 10:42:48 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:42 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> I'm a month late to find out about this, but maybe still worth
> posting here for those like me who only visit these sites when web
> searches happen to point them there. The Stack Overflow family of
> websites have banned moderators from deleting AI-generated posts,
> and in response many mods have gone on strike.
>
> https://meta.stackexchange.com/q/389811
>
> Actually it's also partly about the pausing of "data dumps" of
> contributed content on the websites (since resumed), apparantly
> prompted by AI providers harvesting it to improve their chat bots,
> which is also said to be what prompted Reddit to start charging for
> API access, causing a similar reaction over there.

It's also that SE mods say they can spot and ban ChatGPT posts, while
management say there aren't that many according to their metrics. The mods
say they are better at spotting them than the tools are catching, while
management say that the SE mods are being overly keen at banning.
And then the usual complaints about poor communications of policy and
decision making processes.

(I have no idea really, but have experienced SE mods being trigger happy
about closing questions as 'off topic' just because the mod wasn't familiar
with the subject)

Theo