Love sometimes expresses itself in sacrifice. -- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3220.3

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

SubjectAuthor
* Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?bad sector
+- Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?Henry Crun
+* Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?Marco Moock
|`* Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?Henry Crun
| `- Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?Marco Moock
`* Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?Paul
 `* Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?bad sector
  `* Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?Andrei Z.
   `- Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?bad sector

1
Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<YladnVLk7LkTmIH-nZ2dnZfqnPth4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2663&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2663

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 23:33:19 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?
 by: bad sector - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 03:33 UTC

The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt

(I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)

--
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish), Kernel=5.15.0-43-lowlatency
on x86_64, DM=sddm, DE=KDE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<jo2k54Fqmh8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2665&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2665

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:03:31 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 05:03 UTC

On 10/09/2022 6:33, bad sector wrote:

> The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt
>
> (I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)

https://www.google.com/search?q=seamonkey+for+ubuntustudio&nfpr=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjS5ZD1tIn6AhVD-qQKHSzjAYcQvgUoAXoECAEQNw&biw=1093&bih=793&dpr=1

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<tfha9r$19qdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2666&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2666

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:19:39 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 06:19 UTC

Am Freitag, 09. September 2022, um 23:33:19 Uhr schrieb bad sector:

> The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt
>
> (I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)

It is not in the official repositories, but you can use a repo to
install it:

wget -O - 'http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xc77205f7194a3e1abe2df9a4b7b9c16f2667ca5c' |gpg --dearmor |sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntuzilla.gpg >/dev/null

Then create the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntuzilla.list with root
privileges and put the following content inside:

deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/ubuntuzilla.gpg] http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main

Then sudo apt update && sudo apt install seamonkey-mozilla-build

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<jo2qhcFrkltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2667&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2667

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 09:52:26 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 06:52 UTC

On 10/09/2022 9:19, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Freitag, 09. September 2022, um 23:33:19 Uhr schrieb bad sector:
>
>> The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt
>>
>> (I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)
>
> It is not in the official repositories, but you can use a repo to
> install it:
>
> wget -O - 'http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xc77205f7194a3e1abe2df9a4b7b9c16f2667ca5c' |gpg --dearmor |sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntuzilla.gpg >/dev/null
>
> Then create the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntuzilla.list with root
> privileges and put the following content inside:
>
> deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/ubuntuzilla.gpg] http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main
>
> Then sudo apt update && sudo apt install seamonkey-mozilla-build

OR:
1) https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
2) https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/install-and-uninstall#install_linux

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<tfhhni$1bd3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2669&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2669

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:26:25 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:26 UTC

Am Samstag, 10. September 2022, um 09:52:26 Uhr schrieb Henry Crun:

> 1) https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
> 2)
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/install-and-uninstall#install_linux

That is manual without apt, no automatic updates via apt and only for
one user. I don't like that way.

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<tfhj8c$1bjr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2670&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2670

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 04:52:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:52 UTC

On 9/9/2022 11:33 PM, bad sector wrote:

> The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt
>
> (I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.53.13

That's a tarball with executables in it, making it "portable".
It doesn't sit in /usr/bin. It sits in ~/Downloads/Seamonkey.

it has a file "updater" in it, and presumably this does
updates in the portable folder, as new versions become
available.

Which makes the thing "outside package management",
but still receiving updates.

With Seamonkey, sometimes the side-effects of the update
are too much for the "silent approach", and the user is
instead forced to download another tarball. And with any
luck, that tarball when "portably unpacked", will pick
up the profile via profiles.ini.

The only thing missing then, is a .desktop file. Since
it's a suite, I don't know how you go about doing
integration for one of those.

Paul

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<ha-dnQZxaaAnwoH-nZ2dnZfqnPVj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2671&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2671

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 05:58:05 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 09:58 UTC

On 9/10/22 04:52, Paul wrote:
> On 9/9/2022 11:33 PM, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt
>>
>> (I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)
>>

> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.53.13
>
> That's a tarball with executables in it, making it "portable".
> It doesn't sit in /usr/bin. It sits in ~/Downloads/Seamonkey.
>
> it has a file "updater" in it, and presumably this does
> updates in the portable folder, as new versions become
> available.
>
> Which makes the thing "outside package management",
> but still receiving updates.
>
> With Seamonkey, sometimes the side-effects of the update
> are too much for the "silent approach", and the user is
> instead forced to download another tarball. And with any
> luck, that tarball when "portably unpacked", will pick
> up the profile via profiles.ini.
>
> The only thing missing then, is a .desktop file. Since
> it's a suite, I don't know how you go about doing
> integration for one of those.
>
>    Paul

You read my mind as I was just about to ask "what's wrong with the Linux
way which was and remains compiling from source tarballs"? I like the
better package managment apps (Suse, Debian and maybe thuis 'buntu(?)
Muon) but find that the original developers' ideas about injecting the
product into the system are deserving of respect and should at least in
some nominal proportion rule. Seamonkey composer has been and will
remain my word processor so I have a dog in the fight but am having
issues with mozila profiles and cross-version/cross-distro
incompatibilites partly of my own doing.

I leave desktop files to system janitors that may follow me around as I
make a mess in every corner. To put an icon on a panel that starts
composer for me I just create one for 'whaaaaaaatever' else and then
maybe give it my icon the important chore being to edit the command to
become something like

seamonkey -edit ~/my-notes.html

BTW, what exactly did you mean by "portably unpacked"? Is that the way
whereby one unpacks into let's say ~/myprogs and links to the executable
there without any further ado, footwork or involvement?

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<tfhtlu$151o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2672&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2672

From: no-email@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 14:50:22 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 11:50 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> On 9/10/22 04:52, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/9/2022 11:33 PM, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> The package manager Muon doesn't list it, nor did I get far using apt
>>>
>>> (I'm not exactly familiar with Ubuntus)
>>>

>> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.53.13
>>
>> That's a tarball with executables in it, making it "portable".
>> It doesn't sit in /usr/bin. It sits in ~/Downloads/Seamonkey.
>>
>> it has a file "updater" in it, and presumably this does
>> updates in the portable folder, as new versions become
>> available.
>>
>> Which makes the thing "outside package management",
>> but still receiving updates.
>>
>> With Seamonkey, sometimes the side-effects of the update
>> are too much for the "silent approach", and the user is
>> instead forced to download another tarball. And with any
>> luck, that tarball when "portably unpacked", will pick
>> up the profile via profiles.ini.
>>
>> The only thing missing then, is a .desktop file. Since
>> it's a suite, I don't know how you go about doing
>> integration for one of those.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> You read my mind as I was just about to ask "what's wrong with the Linux
> way which was and remains compiling from source tarballs"? I like the
> better package managment apps (Suse, Debian and maybe thuis 'buntu(?)
> Muon) but find that the original developers' ideas about injecting the
> product into the system are deserving of respect and should at least in
> some nominal proportion rule. Seamonkey composer has been and will
> remain my word processor so I have a dog in the fight but am having
> issues with mozila profiles and cross-version/cross-distro
> incompatibilites partly of my own doing.
>
> I leave desktop files to system janitors that may follow me around as I
> make a mess in every corner. To put an icon on a panel that starts
> composer for me I just create one for 'whaaaaaaatever' else and then
> maybe give it my icon the important chore being to edit the command to
> become something like
>
> seamonkey -edit ~/my-notes.html
>

> BTW, what exactly did you mean by "portably unpacked"? Is that the way
> whereby one unpacks into let's say ~/myprogs and links to the executable
> there without any further ado, footwork or involvement?

For example, not tested!

Unpack seamonkey-2.53.13.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 to ~/opt/seamonkey/

$ ./seamonkey --help
Usage: ./seamonkey [ options ... ] [URL]
where options include:
-addressbook Open the address book at startup.
-compose [ <options> ] Compose a mail or news message. Options are specified

TextEditor ~/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=SeaMonkey Release
Comment=Internet Application Suite
GenericName=SeaMonkey
Exec=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey %u
Icon=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;
StartupNotify=true
[Desktop Action Compose]
Name=Compose New Message
Exec=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey -compose
[Desktop Action ...]
Name=...
Exec=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey -...

Re: Seamonkey for UbuntuStudio?

<RdGdnd3teKTfFYH-nZ2dnZfqnPVj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2673&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2673

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:51:13 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 12:51 UTC

On 9/10/22 07:50, Andrei Z. wrote:
> [...]
> -compose [ <options> ] Compose a mail or news message. Options are specified
> ..
>
> TextEditor ~/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=SeaMonkey Release
> Comment=Internet Application Suite
> GenericName=SeaMonkey
> Exec=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey %u
> Icon=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default.png
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;
> StartupNotify=true
> [Desktop Action Compose]
> Name=Compose New Message
> Exec=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey -compose
> [Desktop Action ...]
> Name=...
> Exec=/home/username/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey -...

Thanks, I'll look into it

So far I've been generally happy with precompiled binaries injected by the distro's package manager although precompiling is definitely not the right Linux way. I was expecting to find seamonkey in the Ubuntu repo but didn't, hence my posting. When this is the case, and Ubuntu is not alone, then I do a more or less conventional unpack/compile and then just copy the entire folder to /datadrive/homes/0link/seamonkey and link to the executable in there from every panel icon that "I" use in any distro. It's a hybrid kind of cross-distro flatpacking :-)