I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Marvin Minsky

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

SubjectAuthor
* KDE Plasma back to Gnome?wAYNE
+* Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?Rob H
|`* Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?red floyd
| +- Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?Harold Stevens
| `* Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?wAYNE
|  `* Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?Harold Stevens
|   `* Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?wAYNE
|    `- Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?Bobbie Sellers
`- Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?Marco Moock

1
KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tfffio$126o9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2653&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2653

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 09:37:26 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 13:37 UTC

No, don't want to switch back, but I'm wondering how to select either
one? I don't see anything in Plasma that would do a switch on the fly.
Do I have to do the switch at boot or log in only? Right now, my system
is set at auto login so would have to change that if so.

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tffll6$12pi6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2654&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2654

From: rob@despammer.com (Rob H)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 16:21:10 +0100
 by: Rob H - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:21 UTC

On 09/09/2022 14:37, wAYNE wrote:
> No, don't want to switch back, but I'm wondering how to select either
> one?  I don't see anything in Plasma that would do a switch on the fly.
> Do I have to do the switch at boot or log in only?  Right now, my system
> is set at auto login so would have to change that if so.

I tried KDE Plasma,and I couldn't find anywhere in the bootup or logon
screen where I could change back to gnome. I also checked the display
manager settings etc but again could find how to change back.

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tffrrj$13cc1$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2655&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2655

From: no.spam.here@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 10:06:59 -0700
 by: red floyd - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 17:06 UTC

On 9/9/2022 8:21 AM, Rob H wrote:
> On 09/09/2022 14:37, wAYNE wrote:
>> No, don't want to switch back, but I'm wondering how to select either
>> one?  I don't see anything in Plasma that would do a switch on the
>> fly. Do I have to do the switch at boot or log in only?  Right now, my
>> system is set at auto login so would have to change that if so.
>
> I tried KDE Plasma,and I couldn't find anywhere in the bootup or logon
> screen where I could change back to gnome. I also checked the display
> manager settings etc but again could find how to change back.

It's usually availabe on the DM login screen. I know SDDM has it.

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<slrnthmuck.3ng.wookie@fossa.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2656&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2656

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: wookie@fossa.localdomain (Harold Stevens)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 12:35:52 -0500
 by: Harold Stevens - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 17:35 UTC

In <tffrrj$13cc1$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me> red floyd:

[Snip...]

> It's usually availabe on the DM login screen. I know SDDM has it.

Yes, it's the "Session" drop-down menu at the lower left of this
SUSE login screen (apologies if following line wraps badly):

https://www.microlinux.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/installation-opensuse-leap-15-10.png

Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tffu75$13fkb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2657&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2657

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 19:47:17 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 17:47 UTC

Am Freitag, 09. September 2022, um 09:37:26 Uhr schrieb wAYNE:

> No, don't want to switch back, but I'm wondering how to select either
> one? I don't see anything in Plasma that would do a switch on the
> fly. Do I have to do the switch at boot or log in only? Right now,
> my system is set at auto login so would have to change that if so.

It depends on the display manager you use. I use xdm, the file
..xsession in my home is relevant. Other managers like lightdm offer a
graphical option when you try to log on (toolbar at the top). gdm
offers an option right next to the password filed when logging on.

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tfg0gs$13pu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2658&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2658

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:26:36 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 18:26 UTC

On 9/9/22 13:06, red floyd wrote:
> On 9/9/2022 8:21 AM, Rob H wrote:
>> On 09/09/2022 14:37, wAYNE wrote:
>>> No, don't want to switch back, but I'm wondering how to select either
>>> one?  I don't see anything in Plasma that would do a switch on the
>>> fly. Do I have to do the switch at boot or log in only?  Right now,
>>> my system is set at auto login so would have to change that if so.
>>
>> I tried KDE Plasma,and I couldn't find anywhere in the bootup or logon
>> screen where I could change back to gnome. I also checked the display
>> manager settings etc but again could find how to change back.
>
> It's usually availabe on the DM login screen.  I know SDDM has it.

Ok, I got it. I had to disable auto login, then I can select a vaiety
of sessions. What I'm a bit puzzled by is why I am first presented with
a large on screen keyboard.

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<slrnthn62n.3ng.wookie@fossa.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2660&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2660

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: wookie@fossa.localdomain (Harold Stevens)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:47:35 -0500
 by: Harold Stevens - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 19:47 UTC

In <tfg0gs$13pu8$1@dont-email.me> wAYNE:

> What I'm a bit puzzled by is why I am first presented with
> a large on screen keyboard.

Yep. Saw that when I did a routine jammy update, just a few days
ago (Message-ID: <slrnthj8vj.5bs.wookie@limbo.localdomain>.

It suggested I didn't sddm anymore and could remove it.

I did (apt autoremove), and it crashed my X session pronto.

Got X logins back by reinstalling (apt install sddm), but it now
starts with the virtual keyboard hogging the entire screen.

I get the regular sddm login screen back by clicking on the icon
for the keyboard in the lower right corner.

As I said in my earlier post ... never a dull moment ...

Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tfgh9r$15cik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2661&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2661

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 19:12:58 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 23:12 UTC

On 9/9/22 15:47, Harold Stevens wrote:
> In <tfg0gs$13pu8$1@dont-email.me> wAYNE:
>
>> What I'm a bit puzzled by is why I am first presented with
>> a large on screen keyboard.
>
> Yep. Saw that when I did a routine jammy update, just a few days
> ago (Message-ID: <slrnthj8vj.5bs.wookie@limbo.localdomain>.
>
> It suggested I didn't sddm anymore and could remove it.
>
> I did (apt autoremove), and it crashed my X session pronto.
>
> Got X logins back by reinstalling (apt install sddm), but it now
> starts with the virtual keyboard hogging the entire screen.
>
> I get the regular sddm login screen back by clicking on the icon
> for the keyboard in the lower right corner.
>
> As I said in my earlier post ... never a dull moment ...

I tried earlier sessions, but the one I wanted wasn't showing. I
couldn't tell you which one it was but whatever the one I was using with
Ubuntu 18.04. I wanted to see if that one was still available as it was
the one I was the most used to. My desktop still has it since I only
upgraded and didn't do a fresh install. I'll have to check the name of
that one.

This KDE Plasma seems ok, but I would still like to have most of my
access icons to the left side and my email and browser icons at the top
right too, the way it used to be but so far haven't figured out how. I
have widgets going across the top of the screen. If I move them to the
left side, the clock gets too small. Now if I could figure out how to
keep the clock and date at the top right, I'd be in business.

Re: KDE Plasma back to Gnome?

<tfgkd0$15g25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2662&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2662

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 17:05:52 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 00:05 UTC

On 9/9/22 16:12, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/9/22 15:47, Harold Stevens wrote:
>> In <tfg0gs$13pu8$1@dont-email.me> wAYNE:
>>
>>> What I'm a bit puzzled by is why I am first presented with
>>> a large on screen keyboard.
>>
>> Yep. Saw that when I did a routine jammy update, just a few days
>> ago (Message-ID: <slrnthj8vj.5bs.wookie@limbo.localdomain>.
>>
>> It suggested I didn't sddm anymore and could remove it.
>>
>> I did (apt autoremove), and it crashed my X session pronto.
>>
>> Got X logins back by reinstalling (apt install sddm), but it now
>> starts with the virtual keyboard hogging the entire screen.
>>
>> I get the regular sddm login screen back by clicking on the icon
>> for the keyboard in the lower right corner.
>>
>> As I said in my earlier post ... never a dull moment ...
>>

> I tried earlier sessions, but the one I wanted wasn't showing.  I
> couldn't tell you which one it was but whatever the one I was using with
> Ubuntu 18.04.  I wanted to see if that one was still available as it was
> the one I was the most used to.  My desktop still has it since I only
> upgraded and didn't do a fresh install.  I'll have to check the name of
> that one.
>
> This KDE Plasma seems ok, but I would still like to have most of my
> access icons to the left side and my email and browser icons at the top
> right too, the way it used to be but so far haven't figured out how.  I
> have widgets going across the top of the screen.  If I move them to the
> left side, the clock gets too small.  Now if I could figure out how to
> keep the clock and date at the top right, I'd be in business.

Sd if you have a KDE Plasma 5 full install you should be able to create
new task panels to the left or right side of the display & at the top
and the bottom. I use a process of addition and subtraction.
I add a panel at the top of the screen for the most used programs, main
menu, the icons only task manager, the System tray and Digital clock.
Then I add an empty panel to the right side of the display and it has my
phases of the moon display, my battery charge indicator, my calculator
handy for simple operations, my icon for the Console, 4 accessible
virtual desktops with number only, two games and the icons for lock,
shut down, reboot, and logout. Once the new default panel is on top
and the Empty panel to my right I can remove the bottom panel.
I am working on notebooks and laptops so I appreciate the flexibility
of KDE's Plasma 5. As it was from 3.9.x forward.

I have it this way to resemble my Amiga OS Workbench, which I got used
to using long before Amiga(actually Commodore Business Machines) went
bankrupt so that the financier who stole it from Jack Tramiel could get
all his money back ASAP. If you come to the forum (see below) I can
show you pictures of it.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.
Free Registration at very finest sort of forum.
<https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php>
Linux 5.19.8 KDE's Plasma 5 5.25.5

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com