From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: TB elections
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:10:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:10 UTC

Back when the old mozilla newsgroups were being shut down, I must have
decided to look at their new web forums, before deciding I'd prefer to
keep to usenet.

<https://discuss.thunderbird.net>

Anyway, I don't remember signing-up to what seems to be an 'invisible'
TB council elections group, but it's been emailing me the nominations
and stuff over the past few days, anyone else?

Re:TB elections

<uoe5l6$36r4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2639&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2639

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re:TB elections
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:48:55 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:48 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> Wrote in message:
> Back when the old mozilla newsgroups were being shut down, I must have
> decided to look at their new web forums, before deciding I'd prefer to
> keep to usenet.
>
> <https://discuss.thunderbird.net>
>
> Anyway, I don't remember signing-up to what seems to be an 'invisible'
> TB council elections group, but it's been emailing me the nominations
> and stuff over the past few days, anyone else?

That's presumably the Thunderbird Planning group, which is also
an email list.
<https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/planning>

I don't get emails, probably because I didn't ask for them.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Re:TB elections

<l0vl69F1fioU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2640&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2640

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Re:TB elections
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:09:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:09 UTC

Dave Royal wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I don't remember signing-up to what seems to be an 'invisible'
>> TB council elections group, but it's been emailing me the nominations
>> and stuff over the past few days, anyone else?
>
> That's presumably the Thunderbird Planning group, which is also
> an email list.

No, each message says it's the election list

<https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/thunderbird-election>

But when I go there it says it either doesn't exist, or I don't have
permission.

> I don't get emails, probably because I didn't ask for them.

I don't think I did either, just wondered if they'd bulk signed everyone
up to it? I'm hardly going to complain about it as spam, also
Thunderbird has a Managing Director, who knew?

Re: Re:TB elections

<MPG.401461987b21b6e3990285@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2641&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2641

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:38:54 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:38 UTC

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:09:45 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> No, each message says it's the election list

But that doesn't necessarily say it _is_. Have you checked the
headers to see where the mail is actually coming from?

> <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/thunderbird-election>

Notice that that is not a Thunderbird or Mozilla domain.

> But when I go there it says it either doesn't exist, or I don't have
> permission.
>
> just wondered if they'd bulk signed everyone
> up to it? I'm hardly going to complain about it as spam, also
> Thunderbird has a Managing Director, who knew?

The mails may be legitimate, or they may be some sort of
sophisticated scam. If you didn't request to be on the list, I
suggest the easiest thing is to set a filter that just deleted them
automatically.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Re:TB elections

<uoei6i$393cp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2643&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2643

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 19:22:06 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 19:22 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:09:45 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
>> No, each message says it's the election list
>
> But that doesn't necessarily say it _is_. Have you checked the
> headers to see where the mail is actually coming from?
>
>> <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/thunderbird-election>
>
> Notice that that is not a Thunderbird or Mozilla domain.
>
>> But when I go there it says it either doesn't exist, or I don't have
>> permission.
>>
>> just wondered if they'd bulk signed everyone
>> up to it? I'm hardly going to complain about it as spam, also
>> Thunderbird has a Managing Director, who knew?
>
> The mails may be legitimate, or they may be some sort of
> sophisticated scam. If you didn't request to be on the list, I
> suggest the easiest thing is to set a filter that just deleted them
> automatically.

Just deleting them will leave a massive unexplained hole everywhere.
Andy Burns strikes me as a man with a mind, and a hole like that will
just prey on it.
He has to investigate; and he needs our help how to do it.

I start by referring him here;
https://tinyurl.com/yv9y4eac
I'd email the contact and simply ask why I get the emails.

Ed

Re: Re:TB elections

<l10fctF7n0qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2644&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2644

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:37:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:37 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
> >> No, each message says it's the election list
>
> But that doesn't necessarily say it _is_. Have you checked the
> headers to see where the mail is actually coming from?
>
>> <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/thunderbird-election>
>
> Notice that that is not a Thunderbird or Mozilla domain.

Unfortunately not, but it it *is* where MZLA does their thunderbird
comms, the earlier <https://discuss.thunderbird.net> link I gave
actually redirects to topicbox, the joys of outsourcing and the
weakening of identity.

>> just wondered if they'd bulk signed everyone
>> up to it?
>
> The mails may be legitimate, or they may be some sort of
> sophisticated scam. If you didn't request to be on the list, I
> suggest the easiest thing is to set a filter that just deleted them
> automatically.

No, I'm certain they're legit, I probably shouldn't relay any of the
contents here, as it seems the council members are under a NDA, which in
itself is a bit against the grain to me for an open-source organisation.

Anyway discussions are being had, elections held, our little thunderbird
corner of usenet is mainly invisible, I know one or two people poke
their head round the door once in a while.

Re: TB elections

<ir4mqi5q82usakl0hjcvjvm5ifj8n4k6mv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2645&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2645

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:34:45 -0800
 by: Nobody - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 00:34 UTC

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:37:01 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

<unkindest cut>

>> Notice that that is not a Thunderbird or Mozilla domain.
>
>Unfortunately not, but it it *is* where MZLA does their thunderbird
>comms, the earlier <https://discuss.thunderbird.net> link I gave
>actually redirects to topicbox, the joys of outsourcing and the
>weakening of identity.

<ouch>
>> The mails may be legitimate, or they may be some sort of
>> sophisticated scam. If you didn't request to be on the list, I
>> suggest the easiest thing is to set a filter that just deleted them
>> automatically.
>
>No, I'm certain they're legit, I probably shouldn't relay any of the
>contents here, as it seems the council members are under a NDA, which in
>itself is a bit against the grain to me for an open-source organisation.
>
>Anyway discussions are being had, elections held, our little thunderbird
>corner of usenet is mainly invisible, I know one or two people poke
>their head round the door once in a while.

As you alluded to recently on a.c.s.ffox when an interloper was
exclaiming of MZLA monitoring in the thread *Browser passwords are not
secure*.

Re: TB elections

<65AB1E59.4080109@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2646&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2646

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 02:14:01 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 01:14 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
[..snip..]
>>> just wondered if they'd bulk signed everyone
>>> up to it?
>>
>> The mails may be legitimate, or they may be some sort of
>> sophisticated scam. If you didn't request to be on the list, I
>> suggest the easiest thing is to set a filter that just deleted them
>> automatically.
>
> No, I'm certain they're legit, I probably shouldn't relay any of the
> contents here, as it seems the council members are under a NDA, which in
> itself is a bit against the grain to me for an open-source organisation.

So you're receiving unwanted mails targeted to council members which are
under a NDA. But you can't relay their content because of..?

If MZLA should send those mails to people who are not addressed to read them,
then they fucked up their mail system.
Similar to Thunderbird Nova, but this Topic is already discussed anywhere else.

Re: TB elections

<qq8s7k-ks54.ln1@spock.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2647&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2647

From: dillinger@invalid.not (dillinger)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:20:26 +0100
 by: dillinger - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 07:20 UTC

Op 19-01-2024 om 16:10 schreef Andy Burns:
> Back when the old mozilla newsgroups were being shut down, I must have
> decided to look at their new web forums, before deciding I'd prefer to
> keep to usenet.
>
> <https://discuss.thunderbird.net>
>
> Anyway, I don't remember signing-up to what seems to be an 'invisible'
> TB council elections group, but it's been emailing me the nominations
> and stuff over the past few days, anyone else?

Just log in with the email you've used before and remove yourself if
you're not interested.

Re: TB elections

<uogsnj$3oafe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2648&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2648

From: vseerror@fastmail.com (Wayne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:34:56 -0500
 by: Wayne - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:34 UTC

On 1/19/24 10:10 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Back when the old mozilla newsgroups were being shut down, I must have
> decided to look at their new web forums, before deciding I'd prefer to
> keep to usenet.
>
> <https://discuss.thunderbird.net>
>
> Anyway, I don't remember signing-up to what seems to be an 'invisible'
> TB council elections group, but it's been emailing me the nominations
> and stuff over the past few days, anyone else?

People get added to the election group on Jan 14 because of the
assistance you provide to users or to the project.

In Andy's case it was after the introductory email was sent (which was
Jan 11), so should have then gotten a copy of that introductory email
from a council member.

It is not a public group. But there is nothing nefarious. I will send
Andy the details.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / TB elections