"How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars." -- Steve Martin

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: easy V22 question

SubjectAuthor
* more woes trying to do fresh install...wAYNE
+* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...Paul
|`* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...wAYNE
| `* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...Paul
|  `* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...Paul
|   `* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...wAYNE
|    `* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...Paul
|     `* Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...Bobbie Sellers
|      `- Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...wAYNE
`* easy V22 questionwAYNE
 `- Re: easy V22 questionHenry Crun

1
more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf5kuv$3lqoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2578&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2578

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: more woes trying to do fresh install...
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 16:07:57 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 20:07 UTC

After the horrendous time I was having trying to do the upgrade, I am
now in the process of attempting a fresh install from a USB flash drive.
Ubuntu worked fine with the laptop in "try" mode, but now trying to
actually install it and it's stuck at "detecting file systems....."
Been that way for nearly an hour. Any ideas welcome. I swear I'm not
going to get this done in time for work tomorrow. I should have been
long past this point by now. Sheesh.

..;

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf663o$3na9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2579&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2579

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:00:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 01:00 UTC

On 9/5/2022 4:07 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> After the horrendous time I was having trying to do the upgrade, I am now in the process of attempting a fresh install from a USB flash drive.  Ubuntu worked fine with the laptop in "try" mode, but now trying to actually install it and it's stuck at "detecting file systems....." Been that way for nearly an hour.  Any ideas welcome.  I swear I'm not going to get this done in time for work tomorrow.  I should have been long past this point by now.  Sheesh.
>
> .;

My suspicion is, your situation is similar to this post, in that
there's either a mount which is pissing off the installer, or there
is no room for the automation to make a new slash. The determination by
the experts here, is the partition in question cannot be dismounted using
the resources available to the installer. So "something" needs to be done,
before the install can be attempted a second time.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/588036/installation-stuck-at-detecting-file-system

When you select "Something else" as an install option, you do all the
work and the automation will play deaf and dumb.

If, on the other hand, you rely on the automation ("install XXX beside YYY"),
then it could easily make a mistake doing its setup. You have to look at
your setup and determine whether it is booby-trapped and is just inviting
the automation to trash the hard drive on you.

For example, if you DVD boot in UEFI mode, think you're doing GPT, select
"Something else", it's not sufficient to specify just a 35GB slash partition.
You're also responsible for making a 100MB EFI System Partition (FAT32). The ESP
goes left-most, so if doing it by hand, you do that one first. Legacy setup disks,
you can be a bit more lazy, not even feed it a swap, and it'll create a
swapfile on slash for you, as /swapfile.

Your disk at the moment is mature and has other OSes. It is a legacy
partitioning with an Extended/Logical for partitions further along
on the disk. You will need to make room somehow (either before starting
the install, or using the Something Else partitioner). The partitioner
might be sufficient, if there is <Unallocated> space available. But if
you need to shrink something, you'll need to do that before starting
the installer.

Sometimes, with installers, they jump the gun and make changes to a disk,
when you wanted to bail and try again. That would not normally be an issue
with Ubuntu, but there are always windows of opportunity for failure to creep in.

A couple handy rules:

1) Remove excess storage devices not associated with the install.
If you have a Music HDD and a Movie HDD, unplug them while shut off.
2) On a multiboot disk (and especially when the damn thing is fighting
you like it is right now), you should have a backup image of the
disk stored on another drive. I've lost a couple disks along the way,
one of them having three other Linux partitions, and that's how you
"learn the necessity of doing backups".

I use Macrium for backups, it knows what an NTFS is, and also what an
EXT4 is, and as long as I stick with types like that, I can image
a HDD in no time at all. Most of my multiboot drives are just 10-20GB
OS partitions, and have little data on them. And this is partially
a plan to accelerate that "necessary" backup when doing one.

Paul

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf69g4$3qbad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2580&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2580

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:58:27 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 01:58 UTC

On 9/5/22 21:00, Paul wrote:
> On 9/5/2022 4:07 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>> After the horrendous time I was having trying to do the upgrade, I am
>> now in the process of attempting a fresh install from a USB flash
>> drive.  Ubuntu worked fine with the laptop in "try" mode, but now
>> trying to actually install it and it's stuck at "detecting file
>> systems....." Been that way for nearly an hour.  Any ideas welcome.  I
>> swear I'm not going to get this done in time for work tomorrow.  I
>> should have been long past this point by now.  Sheesh.
>>
>> .;
>
> My suspicion is, your situation is similar to this post, in that
> there's either a mount which is pissing off the installer, or there
> is no room for the automation to make a new slash. The determination by
> the experts here, is the partition in question cannot be dismounted using
> the resources available to the installer. So "something" needs to be done,
> before the install can be attempted a second time.
>

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/588036/installation-stuck-at-detecting-file-system
>

> When you select "Something else" as an install option, you do all the
> work and the automation will play deaf and dumb.

I was using the something else option and creating the partitions
manually. I think it was Marco who asked why I was making a separate
boot partition, so on a whim I rebooted, went into something else again
and then created swap, home, /, and a three letter partition and darned
if I can recall the name now. I used these instructions:

https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-alongside-with-windows-dual-boot/
but got a message that I was missing that 3 letter partition so went
back and added it too.
Everything installed and its working but not yet where I want it. I
tried to use this procedure to get as much of my prior programs and
config restored:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/9135/how-to-backup-settings-and-list-of-installed-packages
I tried using the answer presented in 53 as it seemed the easiest to
follow, but I was met with errors. Copying the keys gave the first
warning. I think they copied, but wasn't sure. I was able to save the
home folder using the Deja-dup utility presented.
Trying to restore did not go smoothly at all and ended up with
depreciation messages and broken package errors I assume because that's
what was giving me all the problems before deciding on a fresh install.
And I guess Deja-dup isn't part of v22. Tried to install it and then
it said there were unmet dependencies. I gave up.
At this point, I have the saved packages log and it looks like I'll have
to install them all manually. I did simply save the home folder to a
different hard drive to use as a reference and of course the deja-dup
back up of home is also in another folder- a pity I won't be able to use
it.
I guess no matter how I look at it, my work is cut out for me trying to
get the fresh install updated and configured like it formerly was. Had
hoped the tools would help but to no avail and I don't know enough about
the command structure to know all the tricks. I'm sure probably someone
could do it, but not me.

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf6m2p$3r88m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2583&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2583

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 01:33:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 05:33 UTC

On 9/5/2022 9:58 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> [...]
>
> At this point, I have the saved packages log and it looks like I'll have to install them all manually.  I did simply save the home folder to a different hard drive to use as a reference and of course the deja-dup back up of home is also in another folder- a pity I won't be able to use it.
>
> I guess no matter how I look at it, my work is cut out for me trying to get the fresh install updated and configured like it formerly was.  Had hoped the tools would help but to no avail and I don't know enough about the command structure to know all the tricks.  I'm sure probably someone could do it, but not me.

I have a deja-dup installed in my 2204, but I don't know
at what point in time I installed it.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/8chSNhfT/deja-dup-package.gif

Paul

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf6mhq$3r8u0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2584&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2584

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 01:41:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 05:41 UTC

On 9/6/2022 1:33 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/5/2022 9:58 PM, wAYNE wrote:

>>> My suspicion is, your situation is similar to this post, in that
>>> there's either a mount which is pissing off the installer, or there
>>> is no room for the automation to make a new slash. The determination by
>>> the experts here, is the partition in question cannot be dismounted using
>>> the resources available to the installer. So "something" needs to be done,
>>> before the install can be attempted a second time.
>>>
>>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/588036/installation-stuck-at-detecting-file-system
>>>
>>> When you select "Something else" as an install option, you do all the
>>> work and the automation will play deaf and dumb.
>>>

>> I was using the something else option and creating the partitions manually.  I think it was Marco who asked why I was making a separate boot partition, so on a whim I rebooted, went into something else again and then created swap, home, /, and a three letter partition and darned if I can recall the name now.  I used these instructions:
>>

>> https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-alongside-with-windows-dual-boot/
>>
>> but got a message that I was missing that 3 letter partition so went back and added it too.
>>
>> Everything installed and its working but not yet where I want it.  I tried to use this procedure to get as much of my prior programs and config restored:
>>
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/9135/how-to-backup-settings-and-list-of-installed-packages
>>
>> I tried using the answer presented in 53 as it seemed the easiest to follow, but I was met with errors. Copying the keys gave the first warning.  I think they copied, but wasn't sure.  I was able to save the home folder using the Deja-dup utility presented.
>>
>> Trying to restore did not go smoothly at all and ended up with depreciation messages and broken package errors I assume because that's what was giving me all the problems before deciding on a fresh install.  And I guess Deja-dup isn't part of v22.  Tried to install it and then it said there were unmet dependencies.  I gave up.
>>
>> At this point, I have the saved packages log and it looks like I'll have to install them all manually.  I did simply save the home folder to a different hard drive to use as a reference and of course the deja-dup back up of home is also in another folder- a pity I won't be able to use it.
>>
>> I guess no matter how I look at it, my work is cut out for me trying to get the fresh install updated and configured like it formerly was.  Had hoped the tools would help but to no avail and I don't know enough about the command structure to know all the tricks.  I'm sure probably someone could do it, but not me.
>
> I have a deja-dup installed in my 2204, but I don't know
> at what point in time I installed it.
>
>    [Picture]
>
>    https://i.postimg.cc/8chSNhfT/deja-dup-package.gif

If you're using Live media, when using Synaptic, you have to select
Reload (on the left, below File) to get the latest package lineup. Then,
when you try and install deja-dup, the packages should line up.

Paul

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf81jc$3vbfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2587&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2587

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 13:55:56 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:55 UTC

On 9/6/22 01:41, Paul wrote:
> On 9/6/2022 1:33 AM, Paul wrote:
----------------snip------------------------------------------------

All done. I have almost everything I used reinstalled and all pretty
much working except sometimes I am getting the password screen in order
to get into the OS even though I have it to auto log so any ideas how to
remedy that welcome.

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf82u8$3vg1t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2588&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2588

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:18:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 18:18 UTC

On 9/6/2022 1:55 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/6/22 01:41, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/6/2022 1:33 AM, Paul wrote:
> ----------------snip------------------------------------------------
>
> All done.  I have almost everything I used reinstalled and all pretty much working except sometimes I am getting the password screen in order to get into the OS even though I have it to auto log so any ideas how to remedy that welcome.

Mine does that too. Sigh.

Paul

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf8490$3vivl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2589&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2589

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 11:41:35 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 18:41 UTC

On 9/6/22 11:18, Paul wrote:
> On 9/6/2022 1:55 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>> On 9/6/22 01:41, Paul wrote:
>>> On 9/6/2022 1:33 AM, Paul wrote:
>> ----------------snip------------------------------------------------
>>
>> All done.  I have almost everything I used reinstalled and all pretty
>> much working except sometimes I am getting the password screen in
>> order to get into the OS even though I have it to auto log so any
>> ideas how to remedy that welcome.
>>

> Mine does that too. Sigh.
>
>    Paul

That should be normal behavior.
Whenever I update i am asked for my root password
Whenever I want to do anything that is reserved for the root I have to
enter that password. It is a precaution against unauthorized
changes to the OS.
When I log on to my machine it asks for my user password.
This is normal security behavior on the part of most Linux OSes and
such things are why Linux is more secure than Window, MS-DOS, and even
Amiga OS where we were working in essentially the root account at
all times. Now it could be set to auto-login but that is only for
the User account. When I moved to Linux it was a pain but after a
few years I had no further problems with it.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.
Free Registration at very finest sort of forum.
<https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php>
Linux kernel 5.19.7
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: more woes trying to do fresh install...

<tf88q3$3oj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2590&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2590

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 15:58:58 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:58 UTC

On 9/6/22 14:41, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 9/6/22 11:18, Paul wrote:
>>> ----------------snip------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> All done.  I have almost everything I used reinstalled and all pretty
>>> much working except sometimes I am getting the password screen in
>>> order to get into the OS even though I have it to auto log so any
>>> ideas how to remedy that welcome.
>>>

>> Mine does that too. Sigh.
>>
>>     Paul
>>
>     That should be normal behavior.
>     Whenever I update i am asked for my root password
>     Whenever I want to do anything that is reserved for the root I have
> to enter that password.  It is a precaution against unauthorized
> changes to the OS.
>     When I log on to my machine it asks for my user password.
> This is normal security behavior on the part of most Linux OSes and
> such things are why Linux is more secure than Window, MS-DOS, and even
> Amiga OS where we were working in essentially the root account at
> all times.  Now it could be set to auto-login but that is only for
> the User account.  When I moved to Linux it was a pain but after a
> few years I had no further problems with it.
>

> bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
>        the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
>                and a minor case of hypergraphia.
>       Free Registration at very finest sort of forum.
>        <https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php>
>         Linux kernel 5.19.7
One thing I forgot about was that I was trying hibernate mode, something
I always add to the shut down menu manually. Could be that's why it was
requesting password when coming out of that. I'll now find out for sure
the next few times I boot up. Mine is set for auto login at boot; for
anything else, I have it set for password first.
Only other modification was removing Firefox from snap and having it the
way it used to be. In snap, my add ons weren't working well, if at all.

easy V22 question

<tf8h7b$u6k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2591&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2591

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: easy V22 question
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 18:22:35 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:22 UTC

Compared to what I had been asking, I hope this one is simple. In V18,
I was used to having my email icon at the top right hand side of the
screen next to the audio, network connection, etc, but in V22, it
doesn't show up there but at the menu at the left side of the screen.
How can I get the top right option back?

Re: easy V22 question

<jnqi7fFi889U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2596&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2596

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: easy V22 question
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 06:41:33 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 03:41 UTC

On 07/09/2022 1:22, wAYNE wrote:
> Compared to what I had been asking, I hope this one is simple.  In V18, I was used to having my email icon at the top
> right hand side of the screen next to the audio, network connection, etc, but in V22, it doesn't show up there but at
> the menu at the left side of the screen. How can I get the top right option back?

try
systemctl --user start indicator-messages.service

(might not work depending on versions and the phse of the moon)