From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: easy V22 question (hopefully)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 18:23:44 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:23 UTC

Compared to what I had been asking, I hope this one is simple. In V18,
I was used to having my email icon at the top right hand side of the
screen next to the audio, network connection, etc, but in V22, it
doesn't show up there but at the menu at the left side of the screen.
How can I get the top right option back?

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<tf8kcs$13fu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2593&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2593

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 16:16:44 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 23:16 UTC

On 9/6/22 15:23, wAYNE wrote:
> Compared to what I had been asking, I hope this one is simple.  In V18,
> I was used to having my email icon at the top right hand side of the
> screen next to the audio, network connection, etc, but in V22, it
> doesn't show up there but at the menu at the left side of the screen.
> How can I get the top right option back?

Switch from Gnome to KDE Plasma. Then you will have far better control
of your desktop layout.

bliss(who has been using KDE since it was 3.5.x and hates Gnome
since 2.4)

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<tfac8q$8o2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2607&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2607

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:10:17 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:10 UTC

On 9/6/22 19:16, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 9/6/22 15:23, wAYNE wrote:
>> Compared to what I had been asking, I hope this one is simple.  In
>> V18, I was used to having my email icon at the top right hand side of
>> the screen next to the audio, network connection, etc, but in V22, it
>> doesn't show up there but at the menu at the left side of the screen.
>> How can I get the top right option back?
>
>     Switch from Gnome to KDE Plasma.  Then you will have far better
> control of your desktop layout.
>
>     bliss(who has been using KDE since it was 3.5.x and hates Gnome
> since 2.4)

Trying it out now the KDE Plasma. Makes the initial layout look a lot
more like Windows, but nice to see that I could immediately add widgets
to the bottom. I suppose I could move those to the top if I wanted to.
Also, being able to take a quick peak inside any desktop folders and
seeing icons on the fly is nice to get an idea of what's in the folder
before opening it. Only thing I changed was having auto login at start
up.
I'll continue trying it out for a while before deciding on it
permanently, but I think it's a keeper.

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<20220907174449.07f7311d@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2609&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2609

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:44:49 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:44 UTC

On 07.09.2022 at 11:10, wAYNE scribbled:

> On 9/6/22 19:16, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>
> >     Switch from Gnome to KDE Plasma.  Then you will have far
> > better control of your desktop layout.
> >
> >     bliss(who has been using KDE since it was 3.5.x [...

I've been using KDE ever since it was at version 1.1. :)

> > ...] and hates Gnome since 2.4)

We hates it! We hates it! Raaaghhh! :p

GNOME (and GTK in general) is too restrictive. Some people prefer
that, but I do not. ;)

> Trying it out now the KDE Plasma. Makes the initial layout look a
> lot more like Windows, but nice to see that I could immediately add
> widgets to the bottom.

You can add widgets anywhere you like. Many widgets also behave
differently depending on whether you put them on a panel or whether you
put them on the desktop.

> I suppose I could move those to the top if I wanted to.

KDE — now called Plasma, with the term KDE now being used for referring
to the organization that develops the software — has always been the
most configurable and most flexible of all desktop environments.

My desktop doesn't even look anything like MS-Windows. It looks a lot
more (albeit not 100% identical to) macOS, which agrees much more with
my personal sense of aesthetics and ergonomics than MS-Windows, plus
that macOS and GNU/Linux are both UNIX systems, whereas Windows is more
of an MS-DOS on steroids.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<jns4uaFq1iuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2610&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2610

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:07:02 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:07 UTC

Aragorn wrote:
> KDE — now called Plasma, with the term KDE now being used for referring
> to the organization that develops the software — has always been the
> most configurable and most flexible of all desktop environments.

AND, it does so MUCH more efficiently than Gnome and its troublesome
gtk3 which is only going to get worse going to gtk4.

I think it is also great that the old Qt 3 is being actively maintained
as TQt to support the old KDE as Trinity DE as an even MORE efficient
KDE while it is also great that modern Qt and KDE Plasma roll on.

I guess a question floating around in my head is: Is it KDE dev that
makes Qt a more efficient way to build a desktop; or is it Qt that makes
KDE/Plasma a more efficient way to build a desktop?

--
Mike Easter

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<20220907203128.6940f1c1@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2611&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2611

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 20:31:28 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:31 UTC

On 07.09.2022 at 11:07, Mike Easter scribbled:

> Aragorn wrote:
>
> > KDE — now called Plasma, with the term KDE now being used for
> > referring to the organization that develops the software — has
> > always been the most configurable and most flexible of all desktop
> > environments.
>
> AND, it does so MUCH more efficiently than Gnome and its troublesome
> gtk3 which is only going to get worse going to gtk4.
>
> I think it is also great that the old Qt 3 is being actively
> maintained as TQt to support the old KDE as Trinity DE as an even
> MORE efficient KDE while it is also great that modern Qt and KDE
> Plasma roll on.
>
> I guess a question floating around in my head is: Is it KDE dev that
> makes Qt a more efficient way to build a desktop; or is it Qt that
> makes KDE/Plasma a more efficient way to build a desktop?

Well, let's put it this way: the KDE developers chose Qt for a reason,
and Plasma isn't the only desktop environment to use Qt. Even parts of
Microsoft Windows and certain third-party Windows applications use Qt,
because Qt can seamlessly integrate with whatever the underlying GUI
style is — of course, in Plasma, Qt is itself the underlying style.

Qt is incredibly flexible and versatile. The KDE developers recognized
this from the start and have always fully exploited this flexibility and
versatility. In terms of user interface design, they are completely
in sync with the philosophy behind Qt.

I guess it's a synergy thing. ;)

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<tfap4p$9tqk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2613&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2613

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:50:01 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:50 UTC

On 9/7/22 11:31, Aragorn wrote:
> On 07.09.2022 at 11:07, Mike Easter scribbled:
>
>> Aragorn wrote:
>>
>>> KDE — now called Plasma, with the term KDE now being used for
>>> referring to the organization that develops the software — has
>>> always been the most configurable and most flexible of all desktop
>>> environments.
>>
>> AND, it does so MUCH more efficiently than Gnome and its troublesome
>> gtk3 which is only going to get worse going to gtk4.
>>
>> I think it is also great that the old Qt 3 is being actively
>> maintained as TQt to support the old KDE as Trinity DE as an even
>> MORE efficient KDE while it is also great that modern Qt and KDE
>> Plasma roll on.
>>
>> I guess a question floating around in my head is: Is it KDE dev that
>> makes Qt a more efficient way to build a desktop; or is it Qt that
>> makes KDE/Plasma a more efficient way to build a desktop?
>
> Well, let's put it this way: the KDE developers chose Qt for a reason,
> and Plasma isn't the only desktop environment to use Qt. Even parts of
> Microsoft Windows and certain third-party Windows applications use Qt,
> because Qt can seamlessly integrate with whatever the underlying GUI
> style is — of course, in Plasma, Qt is itself the underlying style.
>
> Qt is incredibly flexible and versatile. The KDE developers recognized
> this from the start and have always fully exploited this flexibility and
> versatility. In terms of user interface design, they are completely
> in sync with the philosophy behind Qt.
>
> I guess it's a synergy thing. ;)

Plus KDE's Plasma 5 has been subject to intensive development devoted
to reducing its impact on the rest of the OS. It could be
better but I miss the plugin to do file insertion.
The only problems is constant security updates and we do want those do
we note.

My desktop is set up to somewhat resemble my AmigaOS Workbench
but thankfully unlike AmigaOS it does have memory protection. And I
have been working on it since KDE 3.5.x

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.
Free Registration at very finest sort of forum.
<https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php>
Linux 5.19.7 KDE Plasma 5.25.5

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<20220907210715.24f8a42b@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2614&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2614

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 21:07:15 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 19:07 UTC

On 07.09.2022 at 11:50, Bobbie Sellers scribbled:

> On 9/7/22 11:31, Aragorn wrote:
>
> > Well, let's put it this way: the KDE developers chose Qt for a
> > reason, and Plasma isn't the only desktop environment to use Qt.
> > Even parts of Microsoft Windows and certain third-party Windows
> > applications use Qt, because Qt can seamlessly integrate with
> > whatever the underlying GUI style is — of course, in Plasma, Qt is
> > itself the underlying style.
> >
> > Qt is incredibly flexible and versatile. The KDE developers
> > recognized this from the start and have always fully exploited this
> > flexibility and versatility. In terms of user interface design,
> > they are completely in sync with the philosophy behind Qt.
> >
> > I guess it's a synergy thing. ;)
>
> Plus KDE's Plasma 5 has been subject to intensive development
> devoted to reducing its impact on the rest of the OS. It could be
> better but I miss the plugin to do file insertion.

What do you mean by "file insertion"?

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<tfaqt9$9tqk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2615&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2615

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 12:20:09 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 19:20 UTC

On 9/7/22 12:07, Aragorn wrote:
> On 07.09.2022 at 11:50, Bobbie Sellers scribbled:
>
>> On 9/7/22 11:31, Aragorn wrote:
>>
>>> Well, let's put it this way: the KDE developers chose Qt for a
>>> reason, and Plasma isn't the only desktop environment to use Qt.
>>> Even parts of Microsoft Windows and certain third-party Windows
>>> applications use Qt, because Qt can seamlessly integrate with
>>> whatever the underlying GUI style is — of course, in Plasma, Qt is
>>> itself the underlying style.
>>>
>>> Qt is incredibly flexible and versatile. The KDE developers
>>> recognized this from the start and have always fully exploited this
>>> flexibility and versatility. In terms of user interface design,
>>> they are completely in sync with the philosophy behind Qt.
>>>
>>> I guess it's a synergy thing. ;)
>>
>> Plus KDE's Plasma 5 has been subject to intensive development
>> devoted to reducing its impact on the rest of the OS. It could be
>> better but I miss the plugin to do file insertion.
>
> What do you mean by "file insertion"?

I have a few files that contain some repetitive information for example
"Days of Week" with some other data included. I keep a daily
journal and every week I used to use the file insertion plug-in to
add a fresh week. Now I open the file, copy the contents to the
clipboard and then insert that file at the appropriate point in
my journal. Sometimes to avoid frequent repetition I add it in
4 or 5 times. I hope that is a clear enough explanation. Every day I
copy the Day of the week from the clock and use it to write over
the place holder which today was Wednesday and I copied over it with
Wednesday, 7 September 2022.

It was also handy to write a short document about something then
insert that document into a longer one concerning a more general matter
or add a document to another document.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.
Free Registration at very finest sort of forum.
<https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php>
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: easy V22 question (hopefully)

<20220907220533.3088aa0b@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2618&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2618

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:05:33 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 20:05 UTC

On 07.09.2022 at 12:20, Bobbie Sellers scribbled:

> On 9/7/22 12:07, Aragorn wrote:
>
> > On 07.09.2022 at 11:50, Bobbie Sellers scribbled:
> >
> >> It could be better but I miss the plugin to do file insertion.
> >
> > What do you mean by "file insertion"?
>
> I have a few files that contain some repetitive information
> for example "Days of Week" with some other data included. I keep a
> daily journal and every week I used to use the file insertion plug-in
> to add a fresh week. Now I open the file, copy the contents to the
> clipboard and then insert that file at the appropriate point in
> my journal. Sometimes to avoid frequent repetition I add it in
> 4 or 5 times. I hope that is a clear enough explanation. Every day I
> copy the Day of the week from the clock and use it to write over
> the place holder which today was Wednesday and I copied over it with
> Wednesday, 7 September 2022.
>
> It was also handy to write a short document about something
> then insert that document into a longer one concerning a more general
> matter or add a document to another document.

I'm not sure I get what you're talking about, but could that have been
the Blog widget?

I can't find it at store.kde.org, but perhaps one of these two could be
of help to you...:

° ToDoList : https://store.kde.org/p/1152230