Wernher von Braun settled for a V-2 when he coulda had a V-8.

computers / comp.misc / Google Magic Compose will write your mail

SubjectAuthor
* Google Magic Compose will write your mailRetrograde
+* Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mailArnold Knight
|`- Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mailDan Espen
`* Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mailSylvia Else
 `* Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mailJohn
  `* Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mailBob Henson
   `- Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mailMike Spencer

1
Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<u4t4hd$hjkh$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2583&group=comp.misc#2583

From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Google Magic Compose will write your mail
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 14:36:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retrograde - Sat, 27 May 2023 14:36 UTC

From the «if you send it previous messages» department:
Feed: The Verge - All Posts
Title: Google’s Magic Compose beta is here — but it sends your messages to
Google
Author: Emma Roth
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 18:17:45 -0400
Link: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/26/23739224/google-messages-magic-compose-beta-ai

[image 1] Image: Google

Google has finally started to roll out the beta of Magic Compose, its new
Messages feature that uses AI[2] to help you write text messages. However, as
pointed out by Android Police[3], the feature comes with a pretty big caveat: it
will send up to “20 previous messages” to Google’s servers to generate
suggestions — even if you’re using RCS with end-to-end encryption (E2EE).

Google outlines these conditions on its Magic Compose support page[4], noting
that it will send these messages, along with any included emoji, reactions, and
URLs, to its servers to help its AI craft an appropriate response. The company
adds that it won’t send any messages with attachments, voice messages, and
images but notes “image captions and voice transcriptions may be...

Continue reading…[5]

Links:
[1]: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/h6Ws_IMjcrCW6r6uOEI6J1eav-g=/522x283:2374x1518/1310x873/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/72317072/google_magic_compose_1.0.png (image)
[2]: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/10/23718088/google-android-14-ai-wallpaper-messages-magic-compose-io (link)
[3]: https://www.androidpolice.com/magic-compose-google-messages-beta-supercharge-conversations/ (link)
[4]: https://support.google.com/messages/answer/13632636 (link)
[5]: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/26/23739224/google-messages-magic-compose-beta-ai (link)

--
Killfiles keep social media civil.

Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<u4ue15$njim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2584&group=comp.misc#2584

From: arnold@nospam.invalid (Arnold Knight)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 02:24:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Arnold Knight - Sun, 28 May 2023 02:24 UTC

> Google has finally started to roll out the beta of Magic Compose, its
> new Messages feature that uses AI[2] to help you write text messages.

These are RCS/SMS/MMS messages. Not meant to be lengthy. Just meant to
convey the essential information; punctuation and capitalization
optional.

If someone needs to invoke some back-end Rube Goldberg AI nonsense to
respond to my text message… I might actually take personal offense.

Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<u4vlo4$sst9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2585&group=comp.misc#2585

From: dan1espen@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 09:42:27 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Sun, 28 May 2023 13:42 UTC

Arnold Knight <arnold@nospam.invalid> writes:

>> Google has finally started to roll out the beta of Magic Compose, its
>> new Messages feature that uses AI[2] to help you write text messages.
>
> These are RCS/SMS/MMS messages. Not meant to be lengthy. Just meant to
> convey the essential information; punctuation and capitalization
> optional.
>
> If someone needs to invoke some back-end Rube Goldberg AI nonsense to
> respond to my text message… I might actually take personal offense.

Gmail has a similar feature. Often the suggested response is exactly
what I had in mind. I then have to figure out some other response.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<kg7am5Fpo7jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2641&group=comp.misc#2641

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:23:01 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 06:23 UTC

On 28-May-23 12:36 am, Retrograde wrote:
> From the «if you send it previous messages» department:
> Feed: The Verge - All Posts
> Title: Google’s Magic Compose beta is here — but it sends your messages to
> Google
> Author: Emma Roth
> Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 18:17:45 -0400
> Link: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/26/23739224/google-messages-magic-compose-beta-ai
>
> [image 1] Image: Google
>
> Google has finally started to roll out the beta of Magic Compose, its new
> Messages feature that uses AI[2] to help you write text messages. However, as
> pointed out by Android Police[3], the feature comes with a pretty big caveat: it
> will send up to “20 previous messages” to Google’s servers to generate
> suggestions — even if you’re using RCS with end-to-end encryption (E2EE).
>
> Google outlines these conditions on its Magic Compose support page[4], noting
> that it will send these messages, along with any included emoji, reactions, and
> URLs, to its servers to help its AI craft an appropriate response. The company
> adds that it won’t send any messages with attachments, voice messages, and
> images but notes “image captions and voice transcriptions may be...
>
> Continue reading…[5]
>
> Links:
> [1]: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/h6Ws_IMjcrCW6r6uOEI6J1eav-g=/522x283:2374x1518/1310x873/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/72317072/google_magic_compose_1.0.png (image)
> [2]: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/10/23718088/google-android-14-ai-wallpaper-messages-magic-compose-io (link)
> [3]: https://www.androidpolice.com/magic-compose-google-messages-beta-supercharge-conversations/ (link)
> [4]: https://support.google.com/messages/answer/13632636 (link)
> [5]: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/26/23739224/google-messages-magic-compose-beta-ai (link)

All we need now is another AI to read the mail, and we can cut humans
out of the loop completely.

Sylvia.

Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<86bkgxm1fl.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2642&group=comp.misc#2642

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:09:50 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:09 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> writes:
> All we need now is another AI to read the mail, and we can cut humans
> out of the loop completely.
>
> Sylvia.

I've seen semi-serious joking that emails will look like this in the
future:

1. Human sender writes very terse summary of what they want to say
2. LLM rewrites it into 5 paragraphs of press release nonsense & sends
3. Recipient feeds email into their own LLM and asks it to summarize
4. Recipient reads terse summary

john

Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<10k0zcq02w3a5$.27w65dpu088h.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2643&group=comp.misc#2643

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:34:15 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:34 UTC

John wrote:

> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> writes:
>> All we need now is another AI to read the mail, and we can cut humans
>> out of the loop completely.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> I've seen semi-serious joking that emails will look like this in the
> future:
>
> 1. Human sender writes very terse summary of what they want to say
> 2. LLM rewrites it into 5 paragraphs of press release nonsense & sends
> 3. Recipient feeds email into their own LLM and asks it to summarize
> 4. Recipient reads terse summary
>
> john

You can bet the Chinese Whispers game will apply.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Monday is a terrible way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Re: Google Magic Compose will write your mail

<87cz1ce332.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2644&group=comp.misc#2644

From: mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 01 Jul 2023 00:13:37 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 03:13 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> writes:

> John wrote:
>
>> 1. Human sender writes very terse summary of what they want to say
>> 2. LLM rewrites it into 5 paragraphs of press release nonsense & sends
>> 3. Recipient feeds email into their own LLM and asks it to summarize
>> 4. Recipient reads terse summary
>
> You can bet the Chinese Whispers game will apply.

Yes, #4. will be a very different "terse summary" from #1.

We already have this effect in which sender writes a carefully
constructed message, proof-reads it, spell checks, re-reads and edits
to tune the tone & emotional impact, use or eschew buzzwords & trigger
words.

The recipient reads the first 2 lines and acts/replies accordingly.

No AI needed.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada