From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
Subject: Warpinator Questions
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 19:15:11 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:15 UTC

Installed it on my : POP os, Ubuntu Mate (ARM ) and Raspberry pi OS (ARM) and mt Mint Cinnamon
20.3.

That's 3 computers and 4 OS.

Can anyone give a clue on when I did the Raspberry Pi And the Mint 20.3 that they can see each
other but could not connect ?

All the systems have 99.9 % same software, all have the same FW and VPN but these two
computers could not connect even after reboots, router reboots etc.

As soon as I installed on my POP OS did they start working. was there something different with
POP ?

Fantastic program by the way .

Re: Warpinator Questions

<jnnnuqF4f72U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2581&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2581

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Warpinator Questions
Date: 6 Sep 2022 02:00:59 GMT
 by: Gordon - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 02:00 UTC

On 2022-09-05, GrailKing <grailking@invalid.net> wrote:
> Installed it on my : POP os, Ubuntu Mate (ARM ) and Raspberry pi OS (ARM) and mt Mint Cinnamon
> 20.3.
>
> That's 3 computers and 4 OS.
>
> Can anyone give a clue on when I did the Raspberry Pi And the Mint 20.3 that they can see each
> other but could not connect ?

You have followed the suggestions on the warpinator window?

Re: Warpinator Questions

<tJzRK.389289$iiS8.19629@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2582&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2582

From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 04:08:57 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 04:08 UTC

On 6 Sep 2022 02:00:59 GMT, Gordon wrote:

> On 2022-09-05, GrailKing <grailking@invalid.net> wrote:
>> Installed it on my : POP os, Ubuntu Mate (ARM ) and Raspberry pi OS
>> (ARM) and mt Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
>>
>> That's 3 computers and 4 OS.
>>
>> Can anyone give a clue on when I did the Raspberry Pi And the Mint 20.3
>> that they can see each other but could not connect ?
>
> You have followed the suggestions on the warpinator preferences window?

Those all are proper, if you mean the GitHub page, yes, as I said it finally worked and still works.
just didn't know why they connected once the POP OS came on board.

All that leaves me with now is getting and indicator showing when I minimize or close it and it's in
the background on the raspberry pi, using either Ubuntu mate or Raspberry OS.

Re: Warpinator Questions

<tf6opo$3rekv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2585&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2585

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 02:19:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 06:19 UTC

On 9/6/2022 12:08 AM, GrailKing wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2022 02:00:59 GMT, Gordon wrote:
>
>> On 2022-09-05, GrailKing <grailking@invalid.net> wrote:
>>> Installed it on my : POP os, Ubuntu Mate (ARM ) and Raspberry pi OS
>>> (ARM) and mt Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
>>>
>>> That's 3 computers and 4 OS.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give a clue on when I did the Raspberry Pi And the Mint 20.3
>>> that they can see each other but could not connect ?
>>
>> You have followed the suggestions on the warpinator preferences window?
>
> Those all are proper, if you mean the GitHub page, yes, as I said it finally worked and still works.
> just didn't know why they connected once the POP OS came on board.
>
> All that leaves me with now is getting and indicator showing when I minimize or close it and it's in
> the background on the raspberry pi, using either Ubuntu mate or Raspberry OS.

It uses Zeroconf for nameserving, and the machines should be on
the same subnet. You can change the subnet mask, if you want to
span a larger range.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Warpinator

There has to be a mechanism, where they can "advertise" they're
running a server, to one another. The clients then look for server
instances, presumably using Zeroconf to find them. Maybe there's something
like Avahi underneath. (Perhaps the POP OS had Avahi ?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking

I couldn't figure out too much by just looking at the Warpinator source, and
nobody makes a nice block diagram with layers, to show the
control plane and the data plane. The port 42000 and 42001 is
probably not the whole networking story (those ports could be
for the data plane)

*******

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=319513

One of the dependencies listed for this thingy is python3-zeroconf.
Zeroconf is mDNS. mDNS means avahi.

Is avahi running on both machines?

sudo service avahi-daemon status

Paul

Re: Warpinator Questions

<ymIRK.18657$0qy7.1525@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2586&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2586

From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 13:58:54 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 13:58 UTC

On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 02:19:35 -0400, Paul wrote:

> On 9/6/2022 12:08 AM, GrailKing wrote:

>>> You have followed the suggestions on the warpinator preferences
>>> window?
>>
>> Those all are proper, if you mean the GitHub page, yes, as I said it
>> finally worked and still works.
>> just didn't know why they connected once the POP OS came on board.
>>
>> All that leaves me with now is getting and indicator showing when I
>> minimize or close it and it's in the background on the raspberry pi,
>> using either Ubuntu mate or Raspberry OS.
>>

> It uses Zeroconf for nameserving, and the machines should be on the same
> subnet. You can change the subnet mask, if you want to span a larger
> range.
>
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Warpinator
>
> There has to be a mechanism, where they can "advertise" they're running
> a server, to one another. The clients then look for server instances,
> presumably using Zeroconf to find them. Maybe there's something like
> Avahi underneath. (Perhaps the POP OS had Avahi ?)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking
>
> I couldn't figure out too much by just looking at the Warpinator source,
> and nobody makes a nice block diagram with layers, to show the control
> plane and the data plane. The port 42000 and 42001 is probably not the
> whole networking story (those ports could be for the data plane)
>
> *******
>
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=319513
>
> One of the dependencies listed for this thingy is python3-zeroconf.
> Zeroconf is mDNS. mDNS means avahi.
>
> Is avahi running on both machines?
>
> sudo service avahi-daemon status
>
> Paul

Yes running on all three, as I said they all work now, don't know why the pi and the acer didn't talk
to each other at first but they are now and I', happy.