From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:59:07 -0700
 by: Adam - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 17:59 UTC

What's going on with Comcast/Cable TV ?

Location is near...
https://www.yelp.com/biz/oakland-library-asian-branch-oakland

Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio

<slrnsm30ha.2ibi.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=258&group=alt.online-service.comcast#258

From: trepidation@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no
audio
Date: 9 Oct 2021 11:51:12 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 11:51 UTC

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:59:07 -0700, Adam wrote:

> What's going on with Comcast/Cable TV ?
>
> Location is near...
> https://www.yelp.com/biz/oakland-library-asian-branch-oakland

Well, it is that time of the year again when the sun swings directly
behind the geosynchronous satellites. From some locations on the planet
that can disrupt downlinks to Comcast from mid-morning to mid-afternoo.

Jonesy

Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio

<24acd323-309e-4f17-ad05-75cabff7259fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=263&group=alt.online-service.comcast#263

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:18:05 -0800 (PST)
From: zvkmpw@comcast.net (zvkmpw)
 by: zvkmpw - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:18 UTC

With my X1 system, the screen is frozen with an xfinity alert suggesting a need to un-pair the remote and re-pair it with a new TV box.

However, the TV is the unit we’ve used for years. What’s more, the xfinity remote’s buttons that control the TV all work properly: All Power; TV; Volume; Mute. (The TV itself tracks the last two on the screen.) This indicates proper pairing. All the other buttons do nothing.

I tried rebooting the X1 box and replacing the remote’s batteries, with no luck. After reboot, the system starts with “Select your language,” but it ignores all the do-nothing buttons and times out to the frozen screen. The problem has persisted almost a full day so far.

What else can I try? Could it be that either the X1 box or the xfinity remote is broken?

Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio

<so0lnd$jvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=264&group=alt.online-service.comcast#264

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
audio
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:36:12 -0500
 by: Big Al - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:36 UTC

On 11/28/21 2:18 PM, this is what zvkmpw wrote:
> With my X1 system, the screen is frozen with an xfinity alert suggesting a need to un-pair the remote and re-pair it with a new TV box.
>
> However, the TV is the unit we’ve used for years. What’s more, the xfinity remote’s buttons that control the TV all work properly: All Power; TV; Volume; Mute. (The TV itself tracks the last two on the screen.) This indicates proper pairing. All the other buttons do nothing.
>
> I tried rebooting the X1 box and replacing the remote’s batteries, with no luck. After reboot, the system starts with “Select your language,” but it ignores all the do-nothing buttons and times out to the frozen screen. The problem has persisted almost a full day so far.
>
> What else can I try? Could it be that either the X1 box or the xfinity remote is broken?

If you are being told to re-pair the remote control, that has nothing to do with the TV. Not sure why you are spending time with the TV?
It's only a display for the set-top box.

We put our remote on the couch between my wife and I and hit buttons accidentally now and then with the TV off, and the set-top box is just
plugging along doing what we ask it to do. We turn on the TV and find odd presentations on the screen. Comcast could care less if you
have a TV connected or not when you press buttons on the remote.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio

<so0lum$gt2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=265&group=alt.online-service.comcast#265

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
audio
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:40:05 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:40 UTC

On 11/28/2021 2:36 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 11/28/21 2:18 PM, this is what zvkmpw wrote:
>> With my X1 system, the screen is frozen with an xfinity alert
>> suggesting a need to un-pair the remote and re-pair it with a new TV box.
>>
>> However, the TV is the unit we’ve used for years. What’s more, the
>> xfinity remote’s buttons that control the TV all work properly: All
>> Power; TV; Volume; Mute. (The TV itself tracks the last two on the
>> screen.) This indicates proper pairing. All the other buttons do nothing.
>>
>> I tried rebooting the X1 box and replacing the remote’s batteries,
>> with no luck. After reboot, the system starts with “Select your
>> language,” but it ignores all the do-nothing  buttons and times out to
>> the frozen screen. The problem has persisted almost a full day so far.
>>
>> What else can I try? Could it be that either the X1 box or the xfinity
>> remote is broken?
>>
> If you are being told to re-pair the remote control, that has nothing to
> do with the TV.  Not sure why you are spending time with the TV? It's
> only a display for the set-top box.
>
> We put our remote on the couch between my wife and I and hit buttons
> accidentally now and then with the TV off, and the set-top box is just
> plugging along doing what we ask it to do.  We turn on the TV and find
> odd presentations on the screen.   Comcast could care less if you have
> a  TV connected or not when you press buttons on the remote.

Suggest you try calling the Comcast customer service number that should
be listed on your bill. Explain to them what you've experienced and
what you've tried and see what they have to say.

Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio

<hun7qgpbv9v14mf3b5sldtqvemapcegk7r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=266&group=alt.online-service.comcast#266

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:00:29 -0700
 by: KenW - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:00 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:40:05 -0500, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 11/28/2021 2:36 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 11/28/21 2:18 PM, this is what zvkmpw wrote:
>>> With my X1 system, the screen is frozen with an xfinity alert
>>> suggesting a need to un-pair the remote and re-pair it with a new TV box.
>>>
>>> However, the TV is the unit we’ve used for years. What’s more, the
>>> xfinity remote’s buttons that control the TV all work properly: All
>>> Power; TV; Volume; Mute. (The TV itself tracks the last two on the
>>> screen.) This indicates proper pairing. All the other buttons do nothing.
>>>
>>> I tried rebooting the X1 box and replacing the remote’s batteries,
>>> with no luck. After reboot, the system starts with “Select your
>>> language,” but it ignores all the do-nothing  buttons and times out to
>>> the frozen screen. The problem has persisted almost a full day so far.
>>>
>>> What else can I try? Could it be that either the X1 box or the xfinity
>>> remote is broken?
>>>
>> If you are being told to re-pair the remote control, that has nothing to
>> do with the TV.  Not sure why you are spending time with the TV? It's
>> only a display for the set-top box.
>>
>> We put our remote on the couch between my wife and I and hit buttons
>> accidentally now and then with the TV off, and the set-top box is just
>> plugging along doing what we ask it to do.  We turn on the TV and find
>> odd presentations on the screen.   Comcast could care less if you have
>> a  TV connected or not when you press buttons on the remote.
>>

>Suggest you try calling the Comcast customer service number that should
>be listed on your bill. Explain to them what you've experienced and
>what you've tried and see what they have to say.
+1

KenW

Re: Comcast - Cable TV issue (again) - TV picture freeze frame, no audio

<781ba5c7-9a89-420e-a398-e69af7f9632cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=267&group=alt.online-service.comcast#267

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:19:24 -0800 (PST)
From: zvkmpw@comcast.net (zvkmpw)
 by: zvkmpw - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:19 UTC

> >Suggest you try calling the Comcast customer service number that should
> >be listed on your bill. Explain to them what you've experienced and
> >what you've tried and see what they have to say.

Customer service was very helpful.

As suspected, the problem was a broken X1 remote. Stopped by the nearest Comcast store, picked up a replacement, paired it with my setup, and it’s working.

Thanks for your time and effort.