The speed of anything depends on the flow of everything.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

SubjectAuthor
* fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!wAYNE
+* Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!Gordon
|`- Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!wAYNE
+* Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!Paul
|`* Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!wAYNE
| `- Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!Paul
`* Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!Marco Moock
 `- Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!wAYNE

1
fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf0d3f$2vmg9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2530&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2530

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:23:10 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:23 UTC

Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go from
18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install. I haven't done this for
probably a decade so out of practice and would appreciate some advice.
The way my system is set up is shown here:

https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg

The NTFS is Win 10. I don't want to touch this at all! How can I do
the following:

*Install v22 without hurting Win
*Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is a
GRUB menu)
*get a list of programs I already have so it would make reinstallation
easier

Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations?
Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is
completed. Can I replace the new home with mine?

I pretty much already know how to back up all Firefox bookmarks and its
configuration along with my Thunderbird email config and messages.

Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<jnindkFanvqU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2535&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2535

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!
Date: 4 Sep 2022 04:21:09 GMT
 by: Gordon - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 04:21 UTC

On 2022-09-03, wAYNE <wayne34@no_verizon.net> wrote:
> Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go from
> 18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install. I haven't done this for
> probably a decade so out of practice and would appreciate some advice.
> The way my system is set up is shown here:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg
>
> The NTFS is Win 10. I don't want to touch this at all! How can I do
> the following:
>
> *Install v22 without hurting Win
> *Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is a
> GRUB menu)
> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make reinstallation
> easier

There is a command for this.

apt list --installed

from

https://itsfoss.com/list-installed-packages-ubuntu/

> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations?

Probably/possibility not.

There are sometimes files you need to back up which are in the var and etc
directories. Back thes up with the whole of the home directory.

I have found it best to just back up home and then install the new version
and see what files are missing, which ones are needed to get things back as
they were.

Just installing a backup of home as not been 100% okay in my experience.

> Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is
> completed. Can I replace the new home with mine?

See above.

> I pretty much already know how to back up all Firefox bookmarks and its
> configuration along with my Thunderbird email config and messages.

Yes, just replace the .thunderbird directory with the fresh install non
existant one and you are good to go.

> Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!!

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf1bnc$35j3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2536&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2536

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 01:05:48 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 05:05 UTC

On 9/3/2022 4:23 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go from 18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install.  I haven't done this for probably a decade so out of practice and would appreciate some advice. The way my system is set up is shown here:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg
>
> The NTFS is Win 10.  I don't want to touch this at all!  How can I do the following:
>
> *Install v22 without hurting Win
> *Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is a GRUB menu)
> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make reinstallation easier
>
> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations? Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is completed.  Can I replace the new home with mine?
>
> I pretty much already know how to back up all Firefox bookmarks and its configuration along with my Thunderbird email config and messages.
>
> Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!!

I think you should remove the Google Earth and the Google Repository
related stuff, and try again on your upgrade install. After the
upgrade is finished, you can use...

*******

Google has a .deb here (Version 7.3.4.8738-r0 )

https://earth.google.com/download

Name: google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
Size: 56,896,040 bytes (54 MiB)
SHA256: 86A4F43C493A872224C76DEA7CF107E0B22A1DA109B4D1A43E5C82E05437790B

sudo gdebi google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb

Tested here, on 2204, seems to work.

Google Earth Pro was the followup to Google Earth.
Originally, the plan was that Pro would be some paid
thing, but they decided to just give it away.

*******

The amount of minutiae involved in clean install and
getting everything working again, that's going to be
a killer in terms of time. Removing the blocker-cruft
from the 2004 will be easier.

Paul

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf2gb2$38r34$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2548&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2548

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:30:41 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:30 UTC

On 9/4/22 01:05, Paul wrote:
> On 9/3/2022 4:23 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>> Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go
>> from 18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install.  I haven't done
>> this for probably a decade so out of practice and would appreciate
>> some advice. The way my system is set up is shown here:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg
>>
>> The NTFS is Win 10.  I don't want to touch this at all!  How can I do
>> the following:
>>
>> *Install v22 without hurting Win
>> *Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is
>> a GRUB menu)
>> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make reinstallation
>> easier
>>
>> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations?
>> Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is
>> completed.  Can I replace the new home with mine?
>>
>> I pretty much already know how to back up all Firefox bookmarks and
>> its configuration along with my Thunderbird email config and messages.
>>
>> Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!!
>
> I think you should remove the Google Earth and the Google Repository
> related stuff, and try again on your upgrade install. After the
> upgrade is finished, you can use...
>
> *******
YES! What commands would I need to completely uninstall? I haven't
even used it for years, nor do I need it. I've been suspecting that it
has been causing problems. I never had it installed on the desktop and
of course the upgrade went smoothly aside from expanding hard drive space.
Anything else, any other commands, would be welcome as well and then
I'll try again one last time.

> The amount of minutiae involved in clean install and
> getting everything working again, that's going to be
> a killer in terms of time. Removing the blocker-cruft
> from the 2004 will be easier.
Something I have? If so, commands to uninstall welcome!
Thanks again!

>    Paul

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf2gi8$38rkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2549&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2549

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:34:31 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:34 UTC

On 9/4/22 00:21, Gordon wrote:

>> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make reinstallation
>> easier
>
> There is a command for this.
>
> apt list --installed
>
> from
>
> https://itsfoss.com/list-installed-packages-ubuntu/

Ok, that will be helpful. Thanks!

>> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations?
>
> Probably/possibility not.
>
> There are sometimes files you need to back up which are in the var and etc
> directories. Back thes up with the whole of the home directory.
>
> I have found it best to just back up home and then install the new version
> and see what files are missing, which ones are needed to get things back as
> they were.

Sounds good!

> Just installing a backup of home as not been 100% okay in my experience.
>
>> Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is
>> completed. Can I replace the new home with mine?
>
> See above.
>

>> I pretty much already know how to back up all Firefox bookmarks and its
>> configuration along with my Thunderbird email config and messages.
>
> Yes, just replace the .thunderbird directory with the fresh install non
> existant one and you are good to go.
>>
>> Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!!

Still, the question remains as to how to do the fresh install without
affecting the Win partitions and having the grub menu at boot up?
Should I install from a recent DVD or ? I don't want to touch the Win
partitions.

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf2tkn$3a4g9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2559&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2559

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:17:42 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 19:17 UTC

On 9/4/2022 11:30 AM, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/4/22 01:05, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/3/2022 4:23 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>>> Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go from 18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install.  I haven't done this for probably a decade so out of practice and would appreciate some advice. The way my system is set up is shown here:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg
>>>
>>> The NTFS is Win 10.  I don't want to touch this at all!  How can I do the following:
>>>
>>> *Install v22 without hurting Win
>>> *Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is a GRUB menu)
>>> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make reinstallation easier
>>>
>>> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations? Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is completed.  Can I replace the new home with mine?
>>>
>>> I pretty much already know how to back up all Firefox bookmarks and its configuration along with my Thunderbird email config and messages.
>>>
>>> Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!!
>>
>> I think you should remove the Google Earth and the Google Repository
>> related stuff, and try again on your upgrade install. After the
>> upgrade is finished, you can use...
>>
>> *******
>
> YES!  What commands would I need to completely uninstall?  I haven't even used it for years, nor do I need it.  I've been suspecting that it has been causing problems.  I never had it installed on the desktop and of course the upgrade went smoothly aside from expanding hard drive space.
>
> Anything else, any other commands, would be welcome as well and then I'll try again one last time.
>

>> The amount of minutiae involved in clean install and
>> getting everything working again, that's going to be
>> a killer in terms of time. Removing the blocker-cruft
>> from the 2004 will be easier.
>
> Something I have?  If so, commands to uninstall welcome!
>
> Thanks again!

https://askubuntu.com/questions/309902/how-do-i-uninstall-google-earth

sudo apt purge google-earth-stable # you can do "sudo synaptic" and search on google for evidence
# Synaptic is just as easy to use for this.

# Is there such a thing as a google maps package ???

"Open the synaptic package manager and search for the google maps package."

The Google Repository has multiple things in it. dl.google.com seems to be gone,
so it's a good question as to whether they have an intention to manage things
that way now or not.

Things in the Repository might include google-earth-stable and google-chrome-stable.
Google-chrome-stable would be Chromium with Google datamining. You could also
install Chromium to get a Chrome browser. These are examples of things that
might be in a Repository. In this example, there's a remove command at the bottom,
as a demonstration of doing it from command line.

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2020/04/google-chrome-ubuntu-20-04-official-repository/

Fortunately, I have a reference to the Google Repository in my 2004 install.
I would remove the package(s) hosted by the Repository. It's up to you whether
you remove the Repository link as shown in the second link, since doing that
will remove the branded Google items in the top picture. It's not that those
Google items in the top would work -- we don't know that as the key is
screwed up and the dl.google.com does not seem to exist.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/nVsqMXd4/google-earth-stable.gif

In 2004, Canonical made a "roll-your-own" entry for a Google item,
and in 2204, even that is gone.

But the other download spot, has:

google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb

and you can always

sudo gdebi google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb

But only if you wanted a Google Earth, and you say you're not interested.

After google-earth-stable is removed, go back to the steps you were
following for the Upgrade.

Paul

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf45nj$3gild$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2565&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2565

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 08:41:55 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 06:41 UTC

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:23:10 -0400
wAYNE <wayne34@no_verizon.net> wrote:

> Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go
> from 18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install.

Good idea.

> https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg

18 Gb for / is too small, I recommend at least 40 GB. Is there a reason
you separate / and /home?
/boot should also be 2 GB.

> The NTFS is Win 10. I don't want to touch this at all! How can I do
> the following:

Don't touch the partitions of it.

> *Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is
> a GRUB menu)

Is it an UEFI system or classic BIOS?
This is really important because it controls the boot process.

> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make
> reinstallation easier

I don't recommend that. Create this list continuously with only the
packages you need.

> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations?
> Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is
> completed. Can I replace the new home with mine?

/home contains the home directories of a user. This includes data the
user saves, configuration that only applies to that user (e.g. mail
storage, Firefox profile, etc.). It does not contain system-wide
configuration.

Re: fresh install of Ubuntu 22 help needed!

<tf4ubm$3jcpv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2569&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2569

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:42:12 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:42 UTC

On 9/5/22 02:41, Marco Moock wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:23:10 -0400
> wAYNE <wayne34@no_verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Ok, so after all of the issues I'm encountering while trying to go
>> from 18 to 22, I am now considering a fresh install.
>
> Good idea.

I agree, I think it's the only way on the laptop. The desktop
transition from 18-22 went smoothly, but the laptop did not. I was
finally able to get 22 installed but there was often an error at boot
and I would be met with an error screen and booting would not continue.
When I've been using "try" Ubuntu 22 from a USB drive, it works fine
on the laptop.

>> https://i.imgur.com/9YDBekI.jpg
>
> 18 Gb for / is too small, I recommend at least 40 GB.

Ok, will make the partition larger. Thanks.

Is there a reason
> you separate / and /home?

Not sure. Probably the way it was recommended when I came across the
instructions a decade ago. Any reason they shouldn't be separated?

> /boot should also be 2 GB.

Will do.

>> The NTFS is Win 10. I don't want to touch this at all! How can I do
>> the following:
>
> Don't touch the partitions of it.
>
>> *Keep the dual boot selection menu intact at startup (I think this is
>> a GRUB menu)
>
> Is it an UEFI system or classic BIOS?
> This is really important because it controls the boot process.

I'd have to reboot to be sure, but it's the same sort of screen that
appears when I boot from the Ubuntu USB drive where I can select several
options. So whatever Ubuntu uses.

>> *get a list of programs I already have so it would make
>> reinstallation easier
>
> I don't recommend that. Create this list continuously with only the
> packages you need.
>
>> Does /home contain my desktop and all current program configurations?
>> Seems like I should just copy that somewhere else until install is
>> completed. Can I replace the new home with mine?
>
> /home contains the home directories of a user. This includes data the
> user saves, configuration that only applies to that user (e.g. mail
> storage, Firefox profile, etc.). It does not contain system-wide
> configuration.

My most recent v18 backup will have whatever I need for Firefox and
Thunderbird. The only thing I'm not sure about is how to get my current
laptop screen resolution transferred over to v22? I also have a custom
color profile made as well that I would like to transfer.