It's currently a problem of access to gigabits through punybaud. -- J. C. R. Licklider

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22

SubjectAuthor
* cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
+* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Bobbie Sellers
|`- Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
+* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|`* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Marco Moock
| +- Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Paul
| `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|  `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Marco Moock
|   +* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   |`* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Marco Moock
|   | `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   |  +- Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   |  `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Marco Moock
|   |   `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   |    `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Marco Moock
|   |     `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   |      `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Bobbie Sellers
|   |       `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   |        `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Bobbie Sellers
|   |         `- Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
|   `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Paul
|    `- Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
`* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Albert Arkwright
 `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
  `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Albert Arkwright
   `* Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22wAYNE
    `- Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22Marco Moock

Pages:12
Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22

<tf3rga$3fgge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2564&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2564

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 20:47:22 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 03:47 UTC

On 9/4/22 19:27, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/4/22 19:25, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

>>> Tried all of this.  I deleted everything else in the file and left
>>> those four lines.  Here's what happens:
>>>
>>> Can't install ubuntu desktop.  It was impossible to install a
>>> required package.  Please report this as a bug....
>>>
>>> Clicking "close", I get once again that it could not calculate the
>>> upgrade due to an unresolvable problem... most likely a transient
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> What gives?  I'm about to ditch the whole thing.  I'm been working
>>> all weekend trying to get this cursed upgrade installed onto the
>>> laptop without success.  As I said before, I have limited Ubuntu
>>> command knowledge.  I just want things to work with minimal
>>> intervention, but this is becoming ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Any more suggestions would be welcome, but I'm about to do a fresh
>>> install assuming it doesn't take me days to figure out how to keep
>>> the grub menu intact and allow my Win system to be accessible because
>>> this laptop is dual boot.  Didn't want to go that route, but it won't
>>> update despite all suggestions tried.
>>
>>      My only suggestion is to download the latest Ubuntu 22.04.1 media
>> or the 20.04.5 media, write it boot-ably to a flash drive
>> and plug it into your computer.  I would not use Ubuntu myself.
>> But if the Media works on your hardware then copy off the contents of
>> your /home directory to another media and then Install the working
>> Flash Drive via the script to the Drive.
>
> Maybe I will do this, but I'd feel better with some more exact
> instructions as I haven't done a fresh install for over a decade plus
> there is the Win 10 partition I don't want to touch.  It is a dual boot
> system either Ubuntu or Win 10 selected at start up.

Ok well after you copy off your date then you start up GPartEd and look
at your drive. You will be able to see your Windows Partiton and will
have no need to touch that part of your system. Make some
notes for yourself as to what the number of the partition(s) on which
your Windows install is located. Then note what other poattions you
have at hand. You should be able to see EFI marked bootable, /(root),
SWAP of at least 4 GB and /home. If you have 40 or 50 GB for root that
is plenty so now you can go ahead and install your new system over
the old Linux system. The Ubuntu should offer you an Icon on the
install media when booted up to go ahead and do that. If it tries
to use the Windows partition tell it not to do so with the keyboard
and mouse. / and /home are best on separate partition and unless
you deal with unusually large files format the partions to ext4.
Swap has its own special system and it is automatically formatted
to the needs of the system.

>>      How old is the drive?
>>      Have you ever used GSmartControl to evaluate the soundness of
>> the drive?
>
> Three years old SSD drive.  No, never evaluated it.  Is it relevant to
> what I'm about to do?

It is a tool which looks at your hard drive and reports on its health.
If you do a fresh install that is relevant.

My first Install was with Mandriva now sadly departed and a
friend in Norway shipped the 6 CD sized Iso files to me on a DVD.
I used whatever tool XP had to burn each CD to a separate dish then
loaded them via the hard Drive into a working install on a dual boot
Windwos XP and Mandriva 2006 system. that was on a 30 GB hard drive
Before that I had used a desktop Amiga and on it I learned about
partitions and formats. I started with a 100 Megabyte SCSI hard disk
and ended with a 3.4 GB hard Disk with 9 partitions on it. I only
got a new x86 laptop because a frind in Denver or Phoenix bought
one at Fry's on a special sale...
XP was not the horror show that current Windows is
but something gave it a virus which I learned about using
Knoppix 3.74 which I got in a book entitled "Knoppix for
Dummies". Still have it and Knoppix is up to 9.1.
Good luck and pay close attention to whatever
you decide to do with your system.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: cannot upgrade laptop from 20 to 22

<tf4te4$3j9e9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2568&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2568

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:26:25 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:26 UTC

On 9/4/22 23:47, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 9/4/22 19:27, wAYNE wrote:
>> On 9/4/22 19:25, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>

>     Ok well after you copy off your date then you start up GPartEd and
> look at your drive.  You will be able to see your Windows Partiton and
> will have no need to touch that part of your system.
> ------------------cut----------------------------------------------
Yes, I found the website that helped me to a fresh install the last
time. It took a while but I had it bookmarked from ten years ago and it
was still active and updated for the current OS. It basically says the
same thing as you did here, but thanks anyway.
>>>      Have you ever used GSmartControl to evaluate the soundness of
>>> the drive?
>>
>> Three years old SSD drive.  No, never evaluated it.  Is it relevant to
>> what I'm about to do?
>>

>     It is a tool which looks at your hard drive and reports on its
> health. If you do a fresh install that is relevant.
>
>     My first Install was with Mandriva now sadly departed and a
> friend in Norway shipped the 6 CD sized Iso files to me on a DVD.
--------------------cut----------------------------------------------
Thanks for the additional info. I'll take a more in depth look at the
tool.
Aside from the list of programs I'm going to make and have available
before I start the fresh install, the most important other items I need
to back up are my Firefox bookmarks and config, Thunderbird emails and
config, and my laptop screen resolution and config. I know how to go
about the Firefox and Thunderbird backups already, but not sure about my
screen. I also have a custom screen profile I made of it a while back.
What files would need saved and replaced after the fresh install to
get my screen back to where it is now?
Thanks in advance.