Always draw your curves, then plot your reading.

devel / comp.compression / Re: perpetual-compression

SubjectAuthor
* Re: perpetual-compressionEvert Pot
`- Re: perpetual-compressionKeith Thompson

1
Re: perpetual-compression

<c46c6beb-dc62-44e7-8a3a-336738060df8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=254&group=comp.compression#254

Newsgroups: comp.compression
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 11:55:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: perpetual-compression
From: evert@badgateway.net (Evert Pot)
 by: Evert Pot - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 19:55 UTC

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 2:19:56 PM UTC-4, danceswi...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > (While one can XOR the input of say, a text file, and that will enable
> > the material to be compressed, it is much better to first compress
> > such a file with a good quality compressor, say an ARJ compressor or
> > other high quality CONVENTIONAL compressor.) After all, XOR'ing does
> > not reduce filesize. Compression, even conventional compression,
> > does!
> >
> > 2) Only buffer's of substantial size can be compressed. The amount
> > of computer time required to compress smaller files, say 64k, is so
> > high so as to make the effort impractical.
> >
> > 3) As the program exists today, it accepts one or more buffers of 8MB
> > of previously compressed data and produces smaller buffers as output.
> > It does not seem terribly difficult to me for the method to be
> > extended to handle ordinary files. In fact, I do this now (not well,
> > though).
> >

> > For various reasons, I am interested in restricting the use of my
> > products (now only one program) to the United States. Further, I am
> > not enamored of the patenting process -- it is really a mechanism for
> > managing information disclosure, and very little protection is
> > provided from really bad people -- people I would not do business with
> > in any case. So I am offering to license my program by means of trade
> > secret ONLY.
> >
> > My program is suited for use with data that is written once and read
> > many times, such as movies or other entertainment data, etc. It is
> > probably not suitable for data that is written once and read only
> > several times unless space is a critical problem constraint.
> >
> > Our demonstrating process involves two machines, not connected by wire
> > or other means. Compression occurs on one machine, the results are
> > transferred by floppy and the result is de-compressed on another
> > machine. These machines can be inspected by a technician, they are
> > ordinary PC's running FreeBSD.
> >
> > If you represent commercial interests, please contact me to learn
> > more.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Jules Gilbert
> Using the randbetween function in excel produced the target of 1 million "random" integers between 0 - 9, I then ran the stream through a transform, copied the results and pasted them into word to remove spaces and carriage returns and any punctuation's. I then copied it into word pad, saved the file and compressed it using .rar The file compressed down to 246,040 KB. Thinking there was an error I un zipped and restored it without errors, reversed the transform to its original state.
>
> I am not a programmer but worked on this project with a co-worker Kelly D.. Crawford Ph.D for eight years day and night. He passed away weeks before it could be finished. I finished, and this was the result. I would like to give him and his family any posthumous credit but I am left thinking this could be an error considering the various steps.

I case you're still curious. If you store a list of numbers in a text file there's a TON of repetition. It's not raw binary data, it's ASCII data for which almost every byte is going be in the range 48-57. Highly compressible even though the numbers themselves might be properly random.

Re: perpetual-compression

<87zgarv4i7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=255&group=comp.compression#255

From: Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.compression
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 12:26:24 -0800
sha1:+KXGkB0MNvGPIun1eFM0FlqzJiw=
 by: Keith Thompson - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 20:26 UTC

Evert Pot <evert@badgateway.net> writes:
> On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 2:19:56 PM UTC-4, danceswi...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
>> Using the randbetween function in excel produced the target of 1
>> million "random" integers between 0 - 9, I then ran the stream
>> through a transform, copied the results and pasted them into word to
>> remove spaces and carriage returns and any punctuation's. I then
>> copied it into word pad, saved the file and compressed it using .rar
>> The file compressed down to 246,040 KB. Thinking there was an error
>> I un zipped and restored it without errors, reversed the transform
>> to its original state.

Some of those numbers must be incorrect. 1 million decimal digits
represented in ASCII would be about 977 kilobytes (assuming a "kilobyte"
is 1024 bytes, not 1000 bytes). If the decimal digits are random, I'd
expect it to compress to about 294 kilobytes *at best*. The reported
size of "246,040 KB" either indicates an error of a factor of at least
1000, or uses "," as a decimal separator. Even if it's 246 KB, that's
much better compression than I'd expect.

>> I am not a programmer but worked on this project with a co-worker
>> Kelly D. Crawford Ph.D for eight years day and night. He passed away
>> weeks before it could be finished. I finished, and this was the
>> result. I would like to give him and his family any posthumous
>> credit but I am left thinking this could be an error considering the
>> various steps.
>
> I case you're still curious. If you store a list of numbers in a text
> file there's a TON of repetition. It's not raw binary data, it's ASCII
> data for which almost every byte is going be in the range
> 48-57. Highly compressible even though the numbers themselves might be
> properly random.

To be precise, a byte (using the most common meaning of the term)
is 8 bits and can can hold any of 256 values. There are only 10
decimal digit values, so in a sequence of decimal digits represented
in ASCII, 246 of the 256 possible byte values are never used.
A very simple compression method, binary-coded decimal, stores each
decimal digit in 4 bits, leaving 6 unused values for each 4-bit unit.
A slightly more sophisticated compression method could use 10 bits
for each b3 decimal digits, using 1000 of 1024 possible values.
Both of these work only for decimal digits.

An ideal compression algorithm could store each decimal digit in
log2(10) bits, or about 3.32 bits per digit, yielding an output about
30.1% the size of the input (plus metadata). A general-purpose
compression algorithm might come reasonably close to that, though
the best I've managed is about 44% with `xz -9`. (I don't have a
rar compressor.) (I used /dev/urandom, not Excel's randbetween,
to generate the input.)

Working, but not speaking, for XCOM Labs