Asynchronous inputs are at the root of our race problems. -- D. Winker and F. Prosser

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Where are they now?

SubjectAuthor
* Where are they now?Folderol
+* Re: Where are they now?Nigel Reed
|`- Re: Where are they now?Folderol
`* Re: Where are they now?Dave
 +- Re: Where are they now?Folderol
 `* Re: Where are they now?Stuart
  `* Re: Where are they now?Chris Hughes
   +* Re: Where are they now?Stuart
   |`* Re: Where are they now?Sniffer
   | +- Re: Where are they now?Folderol
   | `- Re: Where are they now?Richard Ashbery
   `* Re: Where are they now?Martin Wuerthner
    +- Re: Where are they now?Folderol
    `* Re: Where are they now?Brian Howlett
     `* Re: Where are they now?Dave
      `- Re: Where are they now?Richard Ashbery

1
Where are they now?

<20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2517&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2517

From: general@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Where are they now?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:41:38 +0000
 by: Folderol - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:41 UTC

I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what happened
to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the BBC B days?
I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but then
rather seemed to drop out of sight.

--
Basic

Re: Where are they now?

<20240111205311.2f73045c@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2518&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2518

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Where are they now?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:53:11 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 02:53 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:41:38 +0000
Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:

> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in
> the BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the
> attic! I remember they went on to produce Impression for the
> Archimedes, but then rather seemed to drop out of sight.

Why don't you drop them an email?

http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/docs/mail.htm

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Where are they now?

<5b217aa73adave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2519&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2519

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:31:42 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:31 UTC

In article <20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>,
Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:
> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the
> BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
> I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but
> then rather seemed to drop out of sight.

Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement, they
produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called Xara.

Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara.
Corel, who as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got
Xara back and did some more development work on it.

They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
appreciated in Pro design circles.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Where are they now?

<20240112100753.6480a631@devuan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2520&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2520

From: general@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:07:53 +0000
 by: Folderol - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:07 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:53:11 -0600
Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:41:38 +0000
>Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
>> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in
>> the BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the
>> attic! I remember they went on to produce Impression for the
>> Archimedes, but then rather seemed to drop out of sight.
>>

>Why don't you drop them an email?
>
>http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/docs/mail.htm

Hmmm. The most recent site update is 2001 - still at least they *do* give a
date, not many sites do that.

--
Basic

Re: Where are they now?

<20240112101400.7f63ff3c@devuan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2521&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2521

From: general@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:14:00 +0000
 by: Folderol - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:14 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:31:42 +0000 (GMT)
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>,
> Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:
>> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
>> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the
>> BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
>> I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but
>> then rather seemed to drop out of sight.
>
>Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement, they
>produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called Xara.
>
>Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara.
>Corel, who as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got
>Xara back and did some more development work on it.
>
>They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
>appreciated in Pro design circles.
>
>Dave

I did have a vague memory of Xara. It seems it's become the tail that wagged
the dog :o

Interesting that they're still at Gaddesden place - that can't be a cheap
option!

--
Basic

Re: Where are they now?

<5b2192a6aeSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2522&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2522

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 24 13:00:29 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: Spambin@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
 by: Stuart - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:00 UTC

In article <5b217aa73adave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>,
> Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:
> > I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
> > happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the
> > BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
> > I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but
> > then rather seemed to drop out of sight.

> Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement, they
> produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called Xara.

> Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara.
> Corel, who as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got
> Xara back and did some more development work on it.

> They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
> appreciated in Pro design circles.

Didn't Martin Würthner work for them?

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Where are they now?

<410796215b.chris@mytardis>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2523&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2523

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:30:43 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:30 UTC

In message <5b2192a6aeSpambin@argonet.co.uk>
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <5b217aa73adave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <20240111214138.3e8cd141@devuan>,
>> Folderol <general@musically.me.uk> wrote:
>>> I don't know what made me think about this, but does anyone know what
>>> happened to all the people working at Computer Concepts way back in the
>>> BBC B days? I had Wordwise and and probably still have up in the attic!
>>> I remember they went on to produce Impression for the Archimedes, but
>>> then rather seemed to drop out of sight.

>> Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement, they
>> produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called Xara.

>> Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara.
>> Corel, who as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got
>> Xara back and did some more development work on it.

>> They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
>> appreciated in Pro design circles.

> Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?

Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
Artworks. But left after awhile.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Where are they now?

<5b21a92170Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2524&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2524

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: Spambin@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 24 17:08:06 UTC
 by: Stuart - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:08 UTC

In article <410796215b.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?

> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
> Artworks. But left after awhile.

Anyone know what he is up to now, I know he became a father, but nothing
on his web page since 2021

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Where are they now?

<unrtpu$3frht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2525&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2525

From: sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk (Sniffer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:44:30 +0000
 by: Sniffer - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:44 UTC

On 12/01/2024 17:08, Stuart wrote:
> In article <410796215b.chris@mytardis>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?
>
>> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
>> Artworks. But left after awhile.
>
> Anyone know what he is up to now, I know he became a father, but nothing
> on his web page since 2021

He's still maintaininig Artworks as far as I know.

Re: Where are they now?

<20240112195354.7b9ff9e8@devuan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2526&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2526

From: general@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 19:53:54 +0000
 by: Folderol - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:44:30 +0000
Sniffer <sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:

>On 12/01/2024 17:08, Stuart wrote:
>>
>>> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
>>> Artworks. But left after awhile.
>>
>> Anyone know what he is up to now, I know he became a father, but nothing
>> on his web page since 2021
>>

>He's still maintaininig Artworks as far as I know.
The only name I remembered was Charles Moir. I see he's still the boss.
I seem to remember there were about half a dozen there at first, but can't
remember any names.
I didn't know Martin had worked there. Somehow I've always thought of him as
being an independent developer.

--
Basic

Re: Where are they now?

<5b223121babasura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2530&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2530

From: basura@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:44:51 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:44 UTC

In article <unrtpu$3frht$1@dont-email.me>, Sniffer
<sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/01/2024 17:08, Stuart wrote:
> >
> >> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially
> >> off Artworks. But left after awhile.
> >
> > Anyone know what he is up to now, I know he became a father, but
> > nothing on his web page since 2021
> >

> He's still maintaininig Artworks as far as I know.

Are you sure?

I always looked forward to the updates he produced but the last one
('Shape Pointer/Eraser' tool I think) was 2 years ago in November
2021. I wonder if he's still able to work on ArtWorks - sadly it won't
pay the bills incurred with a young family. It would be interesting to
know what he's doing.

I still enjoy using ArtWorks because of its simple tool sytem and
reliability. Does anyone remember Vantage - a fantastic bit of
software provided you weren't concerned about reliability. The
discovery of ArtWorks, after using Vantage was a revelation. I use
Xara Photo and Graphic Designer very infrequently but the learning
curve is long.

Richard

Re: Where are they now?

<mpro.sarhtx002e66s7oko.spamtrap@mw-software.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2608&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2608

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 24 18:30:04 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: spamtrap@mw-software.com (Martin Wuerthner)
 by: Martin Wuerthner - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 18:30 UTC

Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <5b2192a6aeSpambin@argonet.co.uk>
> Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <5b217aa73adave@triffid.co.uk>,
> > Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Long time ago now, but IIRC. At the end of their RISC OS engagement,
> > > they produced a graphics app for the Windows PC side of things, called
> > > Xara.
>
> > > Then they sold the rights to Corel so it became Corel Xara. Corel, who
> > > as usual didn't do much with it, and after a few years CC got Xara
> > > back and did some more development work on it.
>
> > > They are still at Gaddesden Place, and the Xara app I believe is
> > > appreciated in Pro design circles.
>
> > Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?
>
> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
> Artworks. But left after awhile.

"a while" being 18 years. ;-) I stopped working for Xara two months ago.

Sorry about jumping in so late, I found it increasingly hard to find a
reliable news server in recent years, so I gave up on news for quite a
while.

Martin
--
Martin Wuerthner MW Software http://www.mw-software.com/

------- RISC OS Software for Design, Printing and Publishing --------

Re: Where are they now?

<20240322200903.1069a14a@devuan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2609&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2609

From: general@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:09:03 +0000
 by: Folderol - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:09 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 24 18:30:04 UTC
Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

>Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <5b2192a6aeSpambin@argonet.co.uk>
>> Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Didn't Martin Wurthner work for them?
>>
>> Yes he worked on Xara for sometime since it was based initially off
>> Artworks. But left after awhile.
>
>"a while" being 18 years. ;-) I stopped working for Xara two months ago.
>
>Sorry about jumping in so late, I found it increasingly hard to find a
>reliable news server in recent years, so I gave up on news for quite a
>while.
>
>Martin

Good to hear from you. Would the reason you stopped be retirement by any chance?
(well into retirement myself)

--
Basic

Re: Where are they now?

<f13adf455b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2610&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2610

From: news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:33:34 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:33 UTC

http://news.individual.net - 10 Euros a year and has never let me down yet. They are based at Freie Universitat, Berlin, and offer a free two-week trial.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Windows has detected that the mouse has been moved.

Re: Where are they now?

<5b4609c5f3dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2611&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2611

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:18:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:18 UTC

In article <f13adf455b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>,
Brian Howlett <news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:
> On 22 Mar, Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> > I found it increasingly hard to find a reliable news server in recent
> > years, so I gave up on news for quite a while.

> http://news.individual.net - 10 Euros a year and has never let me down
> yet. They are based at Freie Universitat, Berlin, and offer a free
> two-week trial.

I agree, I've been using nin for many, many years and they are very
reliable.

My second fiddle in the news department is...

http://news.eternal-september.org

Which is free, but needs a registration, and on the whole resonably
reliable.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Where are they now?

<5b473ad79ebasura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2614&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2614

From: basura@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:50:25 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:50 UTC

In article <5b4609c5f3dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk>
wrote:
> In article <f13adf455b.BrianNews@brianhowlett.me.uk>, Brian Howlett
> <news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:
> > On 22 Mar, Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> > > I found it increasingly hard to find a reliable news server in
> > > recent years, so I gave up on news for quite a while.

> > http://news.individual.net - 10 Euros a year and has never let me
> > down yet. They are based at Freie Universitat, Berlin, and offer
> > a free two-week trial.

> I agree, I've been using nin for many, many years and they are very
> reliable.

Excellent service - never had any issues (hoping I'm not tempting
providence) - consistently reliable and at a price that hasn't changed
in years. If signing-up via RISC OS then a Javascript browser like
Iris will be necessary.

Richard