Space tells matter how to move and matter tells space how to curve. -- Wheeler

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

SubjectAuthor
* A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Graham J
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| +* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Chris
| |`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Char Jackson
| | `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| `* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.AJL
|  +- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Joerg Walther
|  `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Bob Henson
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Jack
|+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Big Al
||`- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
|+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.nospam
||`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Big Al
|| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.nospam
|+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
||`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Graham J
|| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| `* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Paul
|  `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying....winston
|`- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ammammata
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| +- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ammammata
| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Paul
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Wade Garrett
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Wade Garrett
`- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.MikeS

Pages:12
A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<vesfbitivu498fpte39kedqu6o4o5tjnel@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2477&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2477

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 07:56:09 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 14:56 UTC

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1

I usually travel with just a smart phone (which I use for e-mail,
browser, and Kindle books), but since this is small, light and
inexpensive, ($275.99 USD), I'm considering buying one for my upcoming
vacation trip to Rome this November. It's not necessary, but it would
be a convenience if it's not too big and heavy to lug around.

But several questions, for anyone who knows more about this:

1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?

2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?

3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
interested in it.

4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?

4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
be staying at. Is that correct?

5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
and Firefox. Any opinions on that?

6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
similar price. Perhaps the one at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM394Y8/ref=pe_27562780_736464450_em_2p_2_lm?th=1
or one of those shown at "Compare with similar items" about halfway
down the page. Or some other brand.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u98vb8$27121$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2478&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2478

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:26:21 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 15:26 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1

[snip]

I think it will be hopelessly underpowered, given my previous experience
of small-format Windows machines, by Asus in particular..

If you've never used a Windows machine before, this is not the way to start.

If you're familiar with the Apple ecosystem why not get an iPad? It
might be double the price of the Asus, but then so would any
self-respecting Windows laptop.

What do you anticipate doing with it that you can't do with your phone?
Or is it a backup in case you lose the phone (or it breaks)?

--
Graham J

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u99321$35c2o$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2479&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2479

From: invalid@invalid.net (Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:26:02 +0100
 by: Jack - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:26 UTC

On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:

> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?

Correct

> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?

Not necessarily. You can hook up an external mouse via the spare USB port.

> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
> interested in it.
Yes you can use an external mouse via a USB port.

> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?

It has only 4GB RAM so you will need to add additional RAM to make it
run properly on Windows 11 Home or Professional. So filter additional
costs in to your decision.

> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
> be staying at. Is that correct?

Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
you the code. Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
control who connects to their network.

> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?

Agreed. 4GB these days is not worth it. You need at least 8GB but I
recommend 16GB. Firefox is quite memory hungry these days, so is
Microsoft Edge.

> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
> similar price.
I would buy something from DELL.
<https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u993t1$27rj0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2480&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2480

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:44:16 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:44 UTC

On 7/19/23 12:26, this is what Jack wrote:
> On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>
> Correct
>

>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>
> Not necessarily. You can hook up an external mouse via the spare USB port.
>

>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>> interested in it.
> Yes you can use an external mouse via a USB port.
>

>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>
> It has only 4GB RAM so you will need to add additional RAM to make it
> run properly on Windows 11 Home or Professional. So filter additional
> costs in to your decision.
>

>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>
> Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
> you the code. Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
> control who connects to their network.
>

>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>
> Agreed. 4GB these days is not worth it. You need at least 8GB but I
> recommend 16GB. Firefox is quite memory hungry these days, so is
> Microsoft Edge.
>>
>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>> similar price.
> I would buy something from DELL.
> <https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>

Reading the questions section, someone responded that it's 4GB of memory and cannot be upgraded. Probably soldered in
and no sockets.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<190720231255448933%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2481&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2481

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:55:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:55 UTC

In article <u99321$35c2o$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Jack
<invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

> > 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
> > be staying at. Is that correct?
>
> Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
> you the code.

what code? they tell you the password if any (sometimes there isn't
one), or you login by room number or name.

> Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
> control who connects to their network.

actually, no.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u997m8$28glm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2482&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2482

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 13:48:56 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:48 UTC

On 7/19/23 12:55, this is what nospam wrote:
> In article <u99321$35c2o$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Jack
> <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:
>

>>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>>
>> Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
>> you the code.
>
> what code? they tell you the password if any (sometimes there isn't
> one), or you login by room number or name.
>
>> Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
>> control who connects to their network.
>
> actually, no.
Usually one gets the directions at the front desk at check-in. What good does it do to call and get it today?
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<29bgbipc9pt1bq8u4q1jirt7l92bql9d6f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2483&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2483

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:42:20 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 18:42 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:26:21 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>
>[snip]
>
>I think it will be hopelessly underpowered, given my previous experience
>of small-format Windows machines, by Asus in particular..
>
>If you've never used a Windows machine before, this is not the way to start.

I've used Windows for about 33 years. Except for those with NT names,
I've run every version of Windows since 2.0. I'm running 11
Professional now.

>If you're familiar with the Apple ecosystem why not get an iPad? It
>might be double the price of the Asus, but then so would any
>self-respecting Windows laptop.

I have no interest in anything from Apple.

The only reason I even considered buying a laptop was the low
advertised price. If I could get some convenience for little money,
I'd be interested. If I can't, I'll stick with the phone.

>What do you anticipate doing with it that you can't do with your phone?

Mostly just easier to use email. I hate to type on the tiny screen
keyboard. and make all the errors I do..

>Or is it a backup in case you lose the phone (or it breaks)?

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<h0cgbi9unbm3le8g695p16lonfn6enldms@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2484&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2484

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:49:14 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 18:49 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:44:16 -0400, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 7/19/23 12:26, this is what Jack wrote:
>> On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>>
>> Correct
>>

>>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>>
>> Not necessarily. You can hook up an external mouse via the spare USB port.
>>

>>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>>> interested in it.
>> Yes you can use an external mouse via a USB port.
>>

>>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>>
>> It has only 4GB RAM so you will need to add additional RAM to make it
>> run properly on Windows 11 Home or Professional. So filter additional
>> costs in to your decision.
>>

>>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>>
>> Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
>> you the code. Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
>> control who connects to their network.
>>

>>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>>
>> Agreed. 4GB these days is not worth it. You need at least 8GB but I
>> recommend 16GB. Firefox is quite memory hungry these days, so is
>> Microsoft Edge.
>>>
>>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>>> similar price.
>> I would buy something from DELL.
>> <https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>
>>

>Reading the questions section, someone responded that it's 4GB of memory and cannot be upgraded. Probably soldered in
>and no sockets.

Yes, that's what I thought.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<190720231458421649%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2485&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2485

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 14:58:42 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 18:58 UTC

In article <u997m8$28glm$1@dont-email.me>, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>
wrote:

> >> Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
> >> you the code.
> >
> > what code? they tell you the password if any (sometimes there isn't
> > one), or you login by room number or name.
> >
> >> Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
> >> control who connects to their network.
> >
> > actually, no.
> Usually one gets the directions at the front desk at check-in.

yep, or there's a card in the room with the info.

> What good does it do to call and get it today?

it's not for today.

some places want a phone number to text a code to log in, but i've
never seen that at a hotel.

some hotels have two tiers of service- a free tier which is throttled
(ok for email) and a paid tier which has much higher bandwidth, which
is either billed to the room (might be included with elite status) or
paid via a credit card.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<g8cgbipmrvubsmkimivj8eio6nu9otb5e2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2486&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2486

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:03:23 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:03 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:26:02 +0100, Jack <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>
>Correct
>

>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>
>Not necessarily. You can hook up an external mouse via the spare USB port.
>

>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>> interested in it.
>Yes you can use an external mouse via a USB port.
>

>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>
>It has only 4GB RAM so you will need to add additional RAM to make it
>run properly on Windows 11 Home or Professional. So filter additional
>costs in to your decision.
>

>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>
>Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
>you the code. Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure and they
>control who connects to their network.
>

>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>
>Agreed. 4GB these days is not worth it.

I'm not so sure. For my modest plans to use it, I'm not concerned with
speed, and I suspect that 4GB would be enough.

>You need at least 8GB but I

Maybe, but I doubt it.

>recommend 16GB.

Definitely not. It would be way overkill. Not for my planned usage.

>Firefox is quite memory hungry these days, so is
>Microsoft Edge.

I don't care at all what Edge wants. As far as I'm concerned, it's the
worst browser ever, and I never us it.

Firefox is running on this desktop running Windows 11 now, as I'm
typing. It's using under 1.3MB. Thunderbird is using 7MB so together
they use around 2MB . Since I would run little else, and not
necessarily even both at the same time, I suspect that 4GB would be
fine.

>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>> similar price.

>I would buy something from DELL.
><https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>

Generally bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Again, I don't *need* a
laptop. I would consider one only as a convenience if it were small,
light, and cheap. It seems that it's unlikely that I will buy one.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u99c54$29b80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2487&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2487

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:05:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vIFbfQDSE5n/ayAXL+JzCN40O9Y=
 by: Chris - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:05 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:26:21 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I think it will be hopelessly underpowered, given my previous experience
>> of small-format Windows machines, by Asus in particular..
>>
>> If you've never used a Windows machine before, this is not the way to start.
>

> I've used Windows for about 33 years. Except for those with NT names,
> I've run every version of Windows since 2.0. I'm running 11
> Professional now.
>

>> If you're familiar with the Apple ecosystem why not get an iPad? It
>> might be double the price of the Asus, but then so would any
>> self-respecting Windows laptop.
>
> I have no interest in anything from Apple.
>
> The only reason I even considered buying a laptop was the low
> advertised price. If I could get some convenience for little money,
> I'd be interested. If I can't, I'll stick with the phone.

You get what you pay for and laptop that cheap is going to be annoying to
use: low quality screen, unresponsive keyboard and short battery life.

>> What do you anticipate doing with it that you can't do with your phone?
>

> Mostly just easier to use email. I hate to type on the tiny screen
> keyboard. and make all the errors I do..

Have you tried the swype keyboard? You "draw" the words over the keyboard.
I find it much more reliable than typing.

>> Or is it a backup in case you lose the phone (or it breaks)?

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<iobgbit190dcvuro7mko4d8pl0khh1nqtd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2488&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2488

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:07:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:07 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:26:02 +0100, Jack <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>
>Correct
>

>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>
>Not necessarily. You can hook up an external mouse via the spare USB port.

Yes, if there's a USB port. It wasn't clear on the website whether
there was one. and that's why I asked.

>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>> interested in it.

>Yes you can use an external mouse via a USB port.
>

>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>
>It has only 4GB RAM so you will need to add additional RAM to make it
>run properly on Windows 11 Home or Professional. So filter additional
>costs in to your decision.

I don't think it's possible to add RAM, and even if it were, I'm not
interested in raising the price. I'm interested only if it's very
cheap.

>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>
>Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
>you the code.

???? Send me the code? I don't need a code sent to me. I'll get what I
need when I arrive.

>Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure

Exactly the opposite, in my opinion.

>and they
>control who connects to their network.
>

>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>
>Agreed. 4GB these days is not worth it. You need at least 8GB but I
>recommend 16GB. Firefox is quite memory hungry these days, so is
>Microsoft Edge.
>>
>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>> similar price.
>I would buy something from DELL.
><https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u99ejc$29pa3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2489&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2489

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 20:46:42 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:46 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

[snip]

>> I would buy something from DELL.
>> <https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>
>

> Generally bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Again, I don't *need* a
> laptop. I would consider one only as a convenience if it were small,
> light, and cheap. It seems that it's unlikely that I will buy one.

Something, small, light & cheap will be a real pain to use.

Forget the cheap, and specify something you will actually enjoy using.
So, decent screen, good battery life, 16GB RAM, 512GB or bigger SSD, i7
CPU or faster, several USB sockets and video outputs for your favourite
monitor when used at home. RJ45 connector so you can use it for testing
stuff that doesn't have WiFi (network switches, NAS boxes, etc.).

Small and light with good performance will be expensive - probably 4
times the example you suggested.

Consider it as essential for your everday working life, and regard its
use on holiday as a bonus.

--
Graham J

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u99eoc$29q1l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2490&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2490

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 15:49:30 -0400
 by: ...winston - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:49 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>
> I usually travel with just a smart phone (which I use for e-mail,
> browser, and Kindle books), but since this is small, light and
> inexpensive, ($275.99 USD), I'm considering buying one for my upcoming
> vacation trip to Rome this November. It's not necessary, but it would
> be a convenience if it's not too big and heavy to lug around.
>
> But several questions, for anyone who knows more about this:
>
> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>
> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>
> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
> interested in it.
>
> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>
> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
> be staying at. Is that correct?
>
> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>
> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
> similar price. Perhaps the one at
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM394Y8/ref=pe_27562780_736464450_em_2p_2_lm?th=1
> or one of those shown at "Compare with similar items" about halfway
> down the page. Or some other brand.

IMO, at your age spend the dollars for something better that can be put
to use at home.
Also note, that device comes with M365(Personal) - which MSFT retails
for $70/yr(Asus price is about half or slightly more than half) - i.e. a
way to increase their profit margin.

Minimum for Win11(Home or Pro) - 8GB RAM
Minimum HD - 256 is more than adequate. With 128 GB, if more needed
supplement with 64 or 128 GB SDXC card if slot is available for data
storage. If done(data elsewhere), once you get rid of all the OEM
garbage, the converted S to Home 128 GB drive should be less than half full.
- your first link indicates 256 GB SSD with 64GB(Flash memory)
- the 64GB on board memory is the device that holds the 4 required
Windows partitions(System, MSR, Windows, Recovery).

Having said the above...
Will that device be slow - yes
Will TBird and FF run - yes
It has 2 USB ports(one type C and one standard, the other USB(internal,
on mobo) is dedicated for use(and only use)with the media card slot(SDXC).
- either port can be used for a mouse(though an adapter would normally
be required for the USB type C port(C to standard USB) for a mouse
USB/receiver connection

Good choice/Bad choice
- it leans toward bad with the processor, 4GB RAM and the 64 GB eMMC
flash disk(the GPT disk for 4 required GPT partitions.
- it leans toward good(or acceptable to fair) for the rest.
- if you don't need Office, and even if not used, your still paying
for it in the price.

Procedure for switching from 11S
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307#WindowsVersion=Windows_11>
- the process once enabled is quick, it will add more files by
uncompressing necessary already presen on the device.
- Note: Ensure the device, in advance of switch is logged on and
activated with a Microsoft Account.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<pqkgbi19kttl1fr3l8nee1ig29nlitk5k9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2491&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2491

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:20:27 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 21:20 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:05:08 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:26:21 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>
>>> What do you anticipate doing with it that you can't do with your phone?
>>

>> Mostly just easier to use email. I hate to type on the tiny screen
>> keyboard. and make all the errors I do..
>
>Have you tried the swype keyboard? You "draw" the words over the keyboard.
>I find it much more reliable than typing.

+1 for Swype. It's a game changer. I've been using it for many years.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9a5d9$2h4r8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2492&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2492

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 22:16:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 02:16 UTC

On 7/19/2023 3:07 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:26:02 +0100, Jack <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>>
>> Correct
>>

>>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>>
>> Not necessarily. You can hook up an external mouse via the spare USB port.
>
> Yes, if there's a USB port. It wasn't clear on the website whether
> there was one. and that's why I asked.
>

>>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>>> interested in it.
>
>> Yes you can use an external mouse via a USB port.
>>

>>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>>
>> It has only 4GB RAM so you will need to add additional RAM to make it
>> run properly on Windows 11 Home or Professional. So filter additional
>> costs in to your decision.
>

> I don't think it's possible to add RAM, and even if it were, I'm not
> interested in raising the price. I'm interested only if it's very
> cheap.
>>

>>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>>
>> Yes. But you need to provide a telephone number for the hotel to send
>> you the code.
>

> ???? Send me the code? I don't need a code sent to me. I'll get what I
> need when I arrive.
>

>> Wi-Fi's in hotels are generally quite secure
>

> Exactly the opposite, in my opinion.
>

>> and they
>> control who connects to their network.
>>

>>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>>
>> Agreed. 4GB these days is not worth it. You need at least 8GB but I
>> recommend 16GB. Firefox is quite memory hungry these days, so is
>> Microsoft Edge.
>>>
>>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>>> similar price.
>> I would buy something from DELL.
>> <https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>

Asus machines (or for that matter just about anything else), comes
with a manufacturer part number. The product description should NOT
be "2023 thinnest and lightest Vivobook", because Asus may have fifty
different models, and you'll never know what you're getting. The
machine should have a part number like this. That's my first problem
with the advert, is the attempt to deceive. Once you have the real part
number, you can go find it on the Asus site. Or, comparison shop if you
want to. The processor is from the year 2019, so still acceptable from
an age point of view. The machine is unlikely to have been "released"
in 2023, and this is older moribund stock. If the warranty is based on
the month of manufacture, the warranty could already be gone on it.

F415EA-AS31 <=== An example of an Asus Model number, for hunting down details

A cheap machine has the advantage that if it is stolen,
"nothing of value has been lost" :-/

CPU Specifications

Total Cores 2
Total Threads 2
Burst Frequency 2.60 GHz
Processor Base Frequency 1.10 GHz
Cache 4 MB
Scenario Design Power (SDP) 4.8 W
TDP 6 W

At idle then, it is two cores running at 1.1GHz.
The time for which it can "burst", heating up the
back of the unit, is limited by thermal concerns.

If Windows Defender starts running, that will be a
fair amount of load for 1 core of the 2 cores.

The 4GB of RAM is no problem. The Core of the OS,
has several requirements. If all W11 features are turned
off, the core needs only 350MB of RAM. That's a comfortable
amount of RAM for the kernel (a recent posting ran Windows
with much less than that, but that's not a usable config).

The next level is a requirement for 2.6GB of RAM. Presumably,
a sand box image of the OS is stationed in 2.3GB of RAM, the
rest goes to the kernel.

This means, that under a lot of circumstances, you have 1.4GB
of RAM, which is enough to open the main Yahoo News web page.

The graphics is 12 EU, which should be much better than the
graphics Intel tried to put in the first "Vista products" :-)

Processor Graphics

Processor Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 600
Graphics Output eDP/DP/HDMI/MIPI-DSI
Execution Units 12

Basically it's a W11 machine which barely meets the requirements.

The storage is likely eMMC (the boot drive), which means the read/write rate
won't be very fast. eMMC drives have ranged from 10MB/sec to 400MB/sec
and you know this one won't be a champ. If it can boot off the secondary
drive, that might be better. But then, the storage configuration it
ships with, would be different if that was some sort of preferred configuration.

You NEED the model number of this machine, to do more research. One user
complained it was a miserable piece of work, but I suspect he needed to
remove some of the AV cruft they put on it. There are too many AVs
running on it by default (Asus would get paid a buck to put those on).

Looking at the BestBuy site, items in that price range are either
Open Box or Sold Out. There are also Refurbished (off-lease) machines,
but those aren't likely to be as thin. BestBuy is a bazaar site, so
the actual seller is not BestBuy, and you're getting similar merch to
the source you're looking at.

Random sample: F415EA-AS31 Vivobook Laptop [does not add up! Laptop is cheaper than tray price of the CPU]

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-i3-1115G4-Processor-Fingerprint-F415EA-AS31/dp/B09SVQG3ZZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://www.9to5gadgets.com/2022/07/asus-vivobook-14-f415ea-as31-review.html

Paul

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9aidt$2j3g6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2493&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2493

From: noemail@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 05:58:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 05:58 UTC

On 7/19/23 11:42 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>The only reason I even considered buying a laptop was the low
>advertised price. If I could get some convenience for little money,
>I'd be interested.

>If I can't, I'll stick with the phone.

If your phone is Android and you're used to the OS you might consider a
Chromebook. They run most Android apps from the Play Store (no side-loading
without security busting mods) and have a keyboard. It is a simpler OS than
Windows so it can be faster with simpler (read cheaper) hardware.

>Mostly just easier to use email. I hate to type on the tiny screen
>keyboard. and make all the errors I do..

Chromebooks are great at email. Also Usenet. I'm posting with one...

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9ajsf$37vi$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2494&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2494

From: ammammata@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:23:09 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 06:23 UTC

Ken Blake expressed precisely :
> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1

trash it

poor cpu
poor ram
you have time to become a grandfather waiting for the programs to load

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9b69j$2mcha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2497&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2497

From: wade@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:37:23 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:37 UTC

On 7/19/23 10:56 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>
> I usually travel with just a smart phone (which I use for e-mail,
> browser, and Kindle books), but since this is small, light and
> inexpensive, ($275.99 USD), I'm considering buying one for my upcoming
> vacation trip to Rome this November. It's not necessary, but it would
> be a convenience if it's not too big and heavy to lug around.
>
> But several questions, for anyone who knows more about this:
>
> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>
> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>
> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
> interested in it.
>
> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>
> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
> be staying at. Is that correct?
>
> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>
> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
> similar price. Perhaps the one at
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM394Y8/ref=pe_27562780_736464450_em_2p_2_lm?th=1
> or one of those shown at "Compare with similar items" about halfway
> down the page. Or some other brand.

Long after the warm happiness of saving some dough has faded, you'll
resent this under-powered device.

Spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get yourself a decent laptop.
Since you can pay for an overseas vacation, you certainly can afford it ;-(

--
I know things and I fix stuff

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<jr7ibil50aop08c1rf1a3np29j3s5ggvic@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2498&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2498

From: joerg.walther@gmail.com (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:52:57 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:52 UTC

AJL wrote:

>Chromebooks are great at email. Also Usenet. I'm posting with one...

I second that. I am posting with one too, although my header says I'm
using Agent 6, but it's running under the WINE not-emulation. :-)
You don't need a fast CPU (i3 here, but cheaper ones also work great)
and not much storage, 128 GB are quite enough.

-jw-

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<0giibi9pidm4ohqngrcia5dnpgrrf2mft0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2499

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:52:15 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:52 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:20:27 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:05:08 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> Mostly just easier to use email. I hate to type on the tiny screen
>>> keyboard. and make all the errors I do..
>>
>>Have you tried the swype keyboard? You "draw" the words over the keyboard.
>>I find it much more reliable than typing.
>
>+1 for Swype. It's a game changer. I've been using it for many years.

Thanks to both of you. I'll look into it,

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<18c353k7e0pm.or7dsh3p9u9r$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2500&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2500

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:59:23 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:59 UTC

AJL wrote:

> On 7/19/23 11:42 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>The only reason I even considered buying a laptop was the low
>>advertised price. If I could get some convenience for little money,
>>I'd be interested.
>
>>If I can't, I'll stick with the phone.
>
> If your phone is Android and you're used to the OS you might consider a
> Chromebook. They run most Android apps from the Play Store (no side-loading
> without security busting mods) and have a keyboard. It is a simpler OS than
> Windows so it can be faster with simpler (read cheaper) hardware.
>
>>Mostly just easier to use email. I hate to type on the tiny screen
>>keyboard. and make all the errors I do..
>
> Chromebooks are great at email. Also Usenet. I'm posting with one...

For just the purposes stated, that's what I'd go for, so long as the screen
is big enough to read - some are very tiny.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Assumption - an error of which you are as yet unaware.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<3jiibip7kqqltpqkmhg879jsh3aocg8jl3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2501&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2501

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:05:26 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:05 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 20:46:42 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>[snip]
>

>>> I would buy something from DELL.
>>> <https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/inspiron-laptops?sortBy=price-ascending>
>>

>> Generally bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Again, I don't *need* a
>> laptop. I would consider one only as a convenience if it were small,
>> light, and cheap. It seems that it's unlikely that I will buy one.
>
>Something, small, light & cheap will be a real pain to use.
>
>Forget the cheap, and specify something you will actually enjoy using.

It has nothing to do with enjoyment. I wanted it only for convenience.
It would need to be usable, not enjoyable.

>So, decent screen,

Hardly matters for e-mail.

> good battery life,

Doesn't matter, since it would be used only when plugged in in my
hotel room.

>16GB RAM,

*Way* overkill.

>512GB or bigger SSD,

*Way* overkill, for storing little more than Firefix and Thunderbird
and a few e-mail messages.

>i7 CPU or faster,

*Way* overkill.

> several USB sockets

One would be enough.

>and video outputs for your favourite
>monitor when used at home.

It would *never* be used at home.

>RJ45 connector so you can use it for testing
>stuff that doesn't have WiFi (network switches, NAS boxes, etc.).

Not interested.

>Small and light with good performance will be expensive - probably 4
>times the example you suggested.
>
>Consider it as essential for your everday working life, and regard its
>use on holiday as a bonus.

It is far from essential to my everyday working life. I use my
high-powered 32GB i9 Windows 11 Professional computer with 4TB of disk
space and a 34" monitor for my everyday use.

I greatly prefer using a desktop to a laptop. I was potentially
interested in a laptop only for traveling.

But I've given up. I'll stick with my phone.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<kcjibipkosa9o97u5b4239pprl90t1e9qo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2502&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2502

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:07:22 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

Thanks very much.

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<sdjibi9d8ja52j6caqg8q1s9ip5t8peseh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2503&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2503

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:13:06 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:13 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 15:49:30 -0400, "...winston"
<winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>>
>> I usually travel with just a smart phone (which I use for e-mail,
>> browser, and Kindle books), but since this is small, light and
>> inexpensive, ($275.99 USD), I'm considering buying one for my upcoming
>> vacation trip to Rome this November. It's not necessary, but it would
>> be a convenience if it's not too big and heavy to lug around.
>>
>> But several questions, for anyone who knows more about this:
>>
>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>>
>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>>
>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>> interested in it.
>>
>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>>
>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>>
>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>>
>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>> similar price. Perhaps the one at
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM394Y8/ref=pe_27562780_736464450_em_2p_2_lm?th=1
>> or one of those shown at "Compare with similar items" about halfway
>> down the page. Or some other brand.
>>

>IMO, at your age

<G>

> spend the dollars for something better that can be put
>to use at home.

I have no need for, and therefore no interest in, a laptop that can be
used at home. As I've said here many time, I greatly prefer a desktop.

>Also note, that device comes with M365(Personal) - which MSFT retails
>for $70/yr(Asus price is about half or slightly more than half) - i.e. a
>way to increase their profit margin.

I have no interest in M365. As I said, I was considering a laptop only
for Firefox and Thunderbird when traveling.

I don't even have any interest in M365 for use on my desktop when at
home.

>Minimum for Win11(Home or Pro) - 8GB RAM
>Minimum HD - 256 is more than adequate. With 128 GB, if more needed
>supplement with 64 or 128 GB SDXC card if slot is available for data
>storage. If done(data elsewhere), once you get rid of all the OEM
>garbage, the converted S to Home 128 GB drive should be less than half full.
>- your first link indicates 256 GB SSD with 64GB(Flash memory)
> - the 64GB on board memory is the device that holds the 4 required
>Windows partitions(System, MSR, Windows, Recovery).
>
>Having said the above...
>Will that device be slow - yes

I know, but probably fast enough for my minimal use.

>Will TBird and FF run - yes

That's almost all that's important.

>It has 2 USB ports(one type C and one standard, the other USB(internal,
>on mobo) is dedicated for use(and only use)with the media card slot(SDXC).
> - either port can be used for a mouse(though an adapter would normally
>be required for the USB type C port(C to standard USB) for a mouse
>USB/receiver connection
>
>Good choice/Bad choice
> - it leans toward bad with the processor, 4GB RAM and the 64 GB eMMC
>flash disk(the GPT disk for 4 required GPT partitions.
> - it leans toward good(or acceptable to fair) for the rest.
> - if you don't need Office, and even if not used, your still paying
>for it in the price.
>
>Procedure for switching from 11S
><https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307#WindowsVersion=Windows_11>
> - the process once enabled is quick, it will add more files by
>uncompressing necessary already presen on the device.
> - Note: Ensure the device, in advance of switch is logged on and
>activated with a Microsoft Account.

Thanks.