I *____knew* I had some reason for not logging you off... If I could just remember what it was.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Junk submissions

SubjectAuthor
* Junk submissionsDave
`* Re: Junk submissionsHarriet Bazley
 `* Re: Junk submissionsDave
  `* Re: Junk submissionsHarriet Bazley
   `* Re: Junk submissionsDave
    `* Re: Junk submissionsMark
     `* Re: Junk submissionsHarriet Bazley
      `* Junk submissionsDave
       `* Re: Junk submissionsHarriet Bazley
        +* Re: Junk submissionsMartin
        |`* Re: Junk submissionsHarriet Bazley
        | `* Re: Junk submissionsMartin
        |  `- Re: Junk submissionsHarriet Bazley
        `- Re: Junk submissionsBob Latham

1
Junk submissions

<5af8c76a6adave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2472&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2472

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Junk submissions
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:45:51 +0100
 by: Dave - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:45 UTC

I had another 140 this morning.

I'd appreciate it if some enlightenment could be filtered my way.

Not that I know much about this stuff... :-/

I created a filter in Pluto...

Source: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subj contains: # .* With Regex On.

Two problems:
1) I put Source: 'comp.sys.acorn.misc'
Pluto keeps changing it to Source: 'news.core.com' Why?

2) My limited knowledge of Regex IIRC. Character space dot star (# .*)
should catch anything that starts with # followed by anything else
regardless?

It doesn't. :-(

Why?

Thanks
Dave

As for the Newshound's Global Rule file... What! is that all about?

I've just looked at it in StrongED and its' just a mess of stuff all over
the place. :-(

However, putting it into a spreadsheet it displays okay in the correct
order.

I've also looked at the Help... I know what a Tab is but then what? :-)

What can you filter on, and where do you put it?
D.

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Junk submissions

<f86e03f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2478&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2478

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Junk submissions
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:41:24 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:41 UTC

On 25 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
Dave wrote:

[snip]

> As for the Newshound's Global Rule file... What! is that all about?
>
> I've just looked at it in StrongED and its' just a mess of stuff all over
> the place. :-(

You probably need to make the StrongED window wider.

You should see tab-separated columns (use TrueTab, not 'Nearest' or
'Tabstops' display) headed

# group subject from bytes lines msg-id ref's x-posts amount

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

In the end, winning is the only safety.

Re: Junk submissions

<5af90be5abdave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2479&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2479

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:13:51 +0100
 by: Dave - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:13 UTC

In article <f86e03f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
> Dave wrote:

> [snip]

> > As for the Newshound's Global Rule file... What! is that all about?
> >
> > I've just looked at it in StrongED and its' just a mess of stuff all
> > over the place. :-(
> >
> You probably need to make the StrongED window wider.

The SE window is quite wide.

> You should see tab-separated columns (use TrueTab, not 'Nearest' or
> 'Tabstops' display) headed

Doesn't improve anything here.

The only way I can make sense of it, is put the Global rule file in a
spreadsheet (Eureka).

> # group subject from bytes lines msg-id ref's x-posts amount

Mnnnn!

Yes, but in view of what's in the spam postings what do you put it in the
Global rule file, and where?

Thanks for the info, appreciated.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Junk submissions

<24b71bf95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2480&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2480

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:06:37 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:06 UTC

On 25 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
Dave wrote:

> In article <f86e03f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 25 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
> > Dave wrote:
>
> > [snip]
>

> > > As for the Newshound's Global Rule file... What! is that all about?
> > >
> > > I've just looked at it in StrongED and its' just a mess of stuff all
> > > over the place. :-(
> > >
> > You probably need to make the StrongED window wider.
>
> The SE window is quite wide.
>
> > You should see tab-separated columns (use TrueTab, not 'Nearest' or
> > 'Tabstops' display) headed
>
> Doesn't improve anything here.

The relevant section looks like this here (tabs changed to spaces)

# group subject from bytes lines msg-id ref's x-posts amount
$ kills:
# Kills any articles with MONEY (in uppercase) in title
* *MONEY* * * * * * * none
* *....* * * * * * * none
* *nude* * * * * * * none
* *naked* * * * * * * none
rec.arts.movies.past-films * * * * * * >3 none
* *SEXY* * * * * * * none
* >>>* * * * * * * none

That gives you neat columns in every line except the one applying to
rec.arts.movies.past-films, and that's because r.a.m.pf is obviously far
too long to fit into the first column for display purposes and displaces
everything in that line a long way to the right (so you need a wide
window to keep it from wrapping round and confusing everything).

That particular rule has ">3" in the x-posts column (the penultimate
entry on each line), which means that it will download "none" of any
article received for r.a.m.pf that has been cross-posted to more than
three groups, since anyone who is doing that is generally trolling by
cross-posting to multiple alt.* political groups to stir up trouble.

The final column defines how much of an article is to be downloaded, and
the potential values are "none" (filter it out altogether), "art",
(downloade the whole article - the default action), "head" (fetch just
the header, allowing you to choose whether to fetch the body manually
later on) or "xover", which creates a 'pseudo' header from the
information NewsHound has received as a result of the XOVER command,
thus avoiding the need for any further downloading (but potentially
missing out on some information not contained in this subset of headers,
e.g. the User-Agent header, which you might want to use in Messenger to
highlight postings from people using RISC OS computers, for instance).

> The only way I can make sense of it, is put the Global rule file in a
> spreadsheet (Eureka).
>
> > # group subject from bytes lines msg-id ref's x-posts amount
>
> Mnnnn!
>
> Yes, but in view of what's in the spam postings what do you put it in the
> Global rule file, and where?

If you want to adopt the rule killing *any* postings using the UTF-8
character set (which is likely to include any postings using accented
characters - probably against strict Usenet etiquette, but it happens,
particularly if you are discussing classic films), then, as stated, you
can add

* *UFA* * * * * * * none
* *=?UTF-8?* * * * * * * none

(only with the spaces between the columns replaced once more by tabs,
single or multiple).

You need to do this at the bottom of NewsHound's Global Rule file,
because the top section (as with the top of a Boot file) is maintained
automatically by Messenger, which writes lines into this file when you
set up a newsgroup to be fetched headers-only. So if you add lines
yourself they will disappear the next time you alter anything in
Messenger, and it rewrites this entire section of the file to match its
stored settings. :-(

The section you want is at the bottom - probably preceded by a fresh set
of column headers - and should strongly resemble the one I quoted above,
with the exception of my own customisations. It starts after the line
reading "$ kills:", which should be self-explanatory. You can add
extra lines after the *MONEY* reference, for example.

What the suggested lines do is match the second ('Subject') column
against the wildcarded strings "*UFA*" and "*=?UTF-8?*", which will have
the effect of not downloading any new article which contains either of
those sequences of characters *anywhere* in the subject line for any
reason.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling goes away.

Re: Junk submissions

<5af9432b26dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2481&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2481

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:17:33 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 06:17 UTC

In article <24b71bf95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
[Snippy]

> The relevant section looks like this here (tabs changed to spaces)

[Snippy]

Harriet,
Thank you for taking the time to explain in so much detail... Much
appreciated. :-)

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Junk submissions

<877348f95a.Mark@mark.poppyland.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2482&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2482

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: mark@poppyland.plus.com (Mark)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:15:15 +0100
 by: Mark - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:15 UTC

In message <5af9432b26dave@triffid.co.uk>
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <24b71bf95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> [Snippy]

>> The relevant section looks like this here (tabs changed to spaces)

> [Snippy]

> Harriet,
> Thank you for taking the time to explain in so much detail... Much
> appreciated. :-)

> Dave

I second that...

--
Mark J
Using RISCOS 5.28 on RaspberryPi3B+ and Linux on RaspberryPi4B+8GB

Re: Junk submissions

<ff4f52f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2484&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2484

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:02:58 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:02 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
Mark wrote:

> In message <5af9432b26dave@triffid.co.uk>
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <24b71bf95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> > Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > [Snippy]
>
> >> The relevant section looks like this here (tabs changed to spaces)
>
> > [Snippy]
>
> > Harriet,
> > Thank you for taking the time to explain in so much detail... Much
> > appreciated. :-)
>
> > Dave
>
> I second that...

But did it work?

(Deleting stuff is always risky...)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

But I don't like Spam!!!!

Junk submissions

<5af98e4436dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2485&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2485

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:57:49 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:57 UTC

In article <ff4f52f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> But did it work?

> (Deleting stuff is always risky...)

Well... :-)

After setting the GlobalRule file today (Thanks again Harriet), I've
watches the NewsHound Fetch window and seen it show comp.sys.acorn.misc,
and legit posts have been downloaded.

Recently, it has shown comp.sys.acorn.misc but nothing was downloaded, so
I'm guessing it's working okay as I've not seen any spam rubbish today
after setting up the GlobalRule file..

Tomorrow we shall see. :-)

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Junk submissions

<8b0296f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2486&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2486

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:22:24 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:22 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
Dave wrote:

> I've watches the NewsHound Fetch window and seen it show
> comp.sys.acorn.misc, and legit posts have been downloaded.
>
> Recently, it has shown comp.sys.acorn.misc but nothing was downloaded, so
> I'm guessing it's working okay as I've not seen any spam rubbish today
> after setting up the GlobalRule file..

If you watch NewsHound very closely (and don't have too fast a
connection...) you can see 'Arts', 'Head' and 'Kills' displayed at the
bottom of the window for each group as it downloads.

(Mind you, I haven't seen any spam rubbish today either, and I didn't
bother setting up a kill rule for it...!)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

C++ - the language in which only friends can access your private members

Re: Junk submissions

<5af99bd396News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2487&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2487

From: News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 23:25:56 +0100
 by: Martin - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:25 UTC

In article <8b0296f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> If you watch NewsHound very closely (and don't have too fast a
> connection...) you can see 'Arts', 'Head' and 'Kills' displayed at
> the bottom of the window for each group as it downloads.

You can also see the Kills (& Articles & Headers) in Syslog output -
but I am not sure what SysLog level is required - may be 255.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Re: Junk submissions

<e0e79ef95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2488&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2488

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 23:59:34 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:59 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
Martin wrote:

> In article <8b0296f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > If you watch NewsHound very closely (and don't have too fast a
> > connection...) you can see 'Arts', 'Head' and 'Kills' displayed at
> > the bottom of the window for each group as it downloads.
>
> You can also see the Kills (& Articles & Headers) in Syslog output -
> but I am not sure what SysLog level is required - may be 255.

Yes, I'm not sure if I'm simply not getting any or if they're not being
logged.

25 Oct 19:59:51 050 Newsfetch complete. Received 4 articles, 10757 bytes (1792 cps) in 6 seconds.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glasses.

Re: Junk submissions

<5af9d79fcfbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2489&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2489

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:19:05 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:19 UTC

In article <8b0296f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> (Mind you, I haven't seen any spam rubbish today either, and I
> didn't bother setting up a kill rule for it...!)

I was getting the spam from news individual.net but not from whatsit
September. I wrote an email to news individual asking them to look at
the spam. I didn't get a reply but the spam has gone quiet.

Bob.

Re: Junk submissions

<5af9d984b4News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2490&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2490

From: News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:39:47 +0100
References: <5af8c76a6adave@triffid.co.uk> <f86e03f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> <5af90be5abdave@triffid.co.uk> <24b71bf95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> <5af9432b26dave@triffid.co.uk> <877348f95a.Mark@mark.poppyland.plus.com> <ff4f52f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> <5af98e4436dave@triffid.co.uk> <8b0296f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> <5af99bd396News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> <e0e79ef95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
 by: Martin - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:39 UTC

In article <e0e79ef95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
> Martin wrote:

> > In article <8b0296f95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> > Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > > If you watch NewsHound very closely (and don't have too fast a
> > > connection...) you can see 'Arts', 'Head' and 'Kills' displayed
> > > at the bottom of the window for each group as it downloads.
> >
> > You can also see the Kills (& Articles & Headers) in Syslog
> > output - but I am not sure what SysLog level is required - may be
> > 255.
> >

> Yes, I'm not sure if I'm simply not getting any or if they're not
> being logged.

> 25 Oct 19:59:51 050 Newsfetch complete. Received 4 articles, 10757
> bytes (1792 cps) in 6 seconds.

My worst day was:
25 Oct 08:59:59 125 stats - comp.sys.acorn.misc: bytes = 244373,
time = 2, xover = 0, headers = 0, articles = 2, kills = 364

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: Junk submissions

<c6cafcf95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2491&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2491

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:05:04 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:05 UTC

On 27 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
Martin wrote:

> In article <e0e79ef95a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
> Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 26 Oct 2023 as I do recall,
> > Martin wrote:

> > > You can also see the Kills (& Articles & Headers) in Syslog
> > > output - but I am not sure what SysLog level is required - may be
> > > 255.
>
> > Yes, I'm not sure if I'm simply not getting any or if they're not
> > being logged.
>
> > 25 Oct 19:59:51 050 Newsfetch complete. Received 4 articles, 10757
> > bytes (1792 cps) in 6 seconds.
>
> My worst day was:
> 25 Oct 08:59:59 125 stats - comp.sys.acorn.misc: bytes = 244373,
> time = 2, xover = 0, headers = 0, articles = 2, kills = 364

Ouch!

I'm guessing that's SysLog level 125 as versus 050, then.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

It is better to have loved and lost than just to have lost.