"Elvis is my copilot." -- Cal Keegan

computers / alt.windows7.general / Windows Right Click Menu Selection

SubjectAuthor
* Windows Right Click Menu SelectionBarton
+* Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionJava Jive
|`- Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionJava Jive
+- Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionJJ
+* Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionDavid E. Ross
|`- Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionJava Jive
+* Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionMayayana
|`- Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionZaidy036
`* Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionSailfish
 `* Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  `- Re: Windows Right Click Menu SelectionSailfish

1
Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sics8k$1l1s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2463&group=alt.windows7.general#2463

From: Barton@Barton.com (Barton)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Windows Right Click Menu Selection
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 08:03:50 -0700
 by: Barton - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:03 UTC

I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.

So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
select the browser of my choice.

How do I do that ?

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sid1c4$coa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2468&group=alt.windows7.general#2468

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:31:00 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 16:31 UTC

On 21/09/2021 16:03, Barton wrote:
> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>
> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
> select the browser of my choice.
>
> How do I do that ?

I used to do this on my W2k build. The only way I know of doing it is
by creating a suitable registry file, for which you have to have a
reasonable level of technical knowledge - it's definitely not for the
unknowledgeable, so I take no responsibility if as a result of this post
you try something and fuck up. Also, it may not work in every
situation, but should in most, especially if you get the 'http' and
'https' sections right. The following is incomplete as it stands but
should get you most of the way there. To complete the exercise note
carefully the following:

1) Backslashes and quotes in the browser command lines are escaped with
preceding backslashes.

2) You will need to repeat the first '.htm' settings group for '.html',
'.shtml', and possibly other filetypes as well.

3) I'm unclear about the protocols, such as ...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\http
and ditto for 'https'. Although in my registry the 'MyHTML' settings
group is repeated for each, I have a feeling from vague memory that
maybe you can treat them like the file types, like this ...
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\http]
@="MyHTML"
.... suck it and see. If the above doesn't work, then you'd have to
repeat your 'MyHTML' section replacing 'MyHTML' with 'http', and again
with 'https'.

Template for a registry file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm]
@="MyHTML"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML]
@="HTML Document"
"FriendlyTypeName"="HTML Document"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Programs\\Pale Moon\\palemoon.exe,1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell]
@="Open with Pale Moon"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\Open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\Open\command]
@="\"C:\\Programs\\Pale Moon\\palemoon.exe\" -osint -url \"%1\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\Open\ddeexec]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE]
@="Open With IE"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" -nohome"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\ddeexec]
@="\"%1\",,-1,0,,,,"
"NoActivateHandler"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\ddeexec\Application]
@="IExplore"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\ddeexec\Topic]
@="WWW_OpenURL"

.... etc, repeating 'OpenWith' sections as required.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sid5pg$pg3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2469&group=alt.windows7.general#2469

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:46:22 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:46 UTC

On 21/09/2021 17:31, Java Jive wrote:

> On 21/09/2021 16:03, Barton wrote:
>>
>> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>>
>> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click
>> and select the browser of my choice.
>>
>> How do I do that ?
>
> I used to do this on my W2k build.  The only way I know of doing it is
> by creating a suitable registry file, for which you have to have a
> reasonable level of technical knowledge  -  it's definitely not for the
> unknowledgeable, so I take no responsibility if as a result of this post
> you try something and fuck up.  Also, it may not work in every
> situation, but should in most, especially if you get the 'http' and
> 'https' sections right.  The following is incomplete as it stands but
> should get you most of the way there.  To complete the exercise note
> carefully the following:
>
> 1)    Backslashes and quotes in the browser command lines are escaped
> with preceding backslashes.
>
> 2)    You will need to repeat the first '.htm' settings group for
> '.html', '.shtml', and possibly other filetypes as well.
>
> 3)    I'm unclear about the protocols, such as ...
>     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\http
> and ditto for 'https'.  Although in my registry the 'MyHTML' settings
> group is repeated for each, I have a feeling from vague memory that
> maybe you can treat them like the file types, like this ...
>     [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\http]
>     @="MyHTML"
> .... suck it and see.  If the above doesn't work, then you'd have to
> repeat your 'MyHTML' section replacing 'MyHTML' with 'http', and again
> with 'https'.
>
> Template for a registry file:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm]
> @="MyHTML"
>

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML]
> @="HTML Document"
> "FriendlyTypeName"="HTML Document"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\DefaultIcon]
> @="C:\\Programs\\Pale Moon\\palemoon.exe,1"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell]

Line moved from here (wrong) ...

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\Open]
> @="Open with Pale Moon"
.... to above (correct). And note also that whatever browser is defined
for 'Open', as opposed to 'OpenWith...', will be the default action.

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\Open\command]
> @="\"C:\\Programs\\Pale Moon\\palemoon.exe\" -osint -url \"%1\""
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\Open\ddeexec]
> @=""
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE]
> @="Open With IE"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\command]
> @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" -nohome"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\ddeexec]
> @="\"%1\",,-1,0,,,,"
> "NoActivateHandler"=""
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\ddeexec\Application]
>
> @="IExplore"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MyHTML\shell\OpenWithIE\ddeexec\Topic]
> @="WWW_OpenURL"
>
> .... etc, repeating 'OpenWith' sections as required.

See correction above.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<3th48s7oboro.1ix6knuq65n3d$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2474&group=alt.windows7.general#2474

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 02:28:37 +0700
 by: JJ - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 19:28 UTC

On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 08:03:50 -0700, Barton wrote:
> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>
> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
> select the browser of my choice.
>
> How do I do that ?

Not possible with mouse right-click, because it's either already used by
whichever application that display the link, and/or the application that
display the link doesn't provide a way to do it via mouse right-click.

In my system, I set the default web browser application to a self made
program which is simply a menu for opening (from outside of a web browser
application) `http://` or `https://` URLs using the chosen web browsers.
It'd be like the "Open with" dialog when double-clicking a file whose type
does not yet have any associated application. The menu program can also be
made using HTML Application or *.hta script.

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sidc5n$1u6s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2475&group=alt.windows7.general#2475

From: not_me@not_there.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 12:35:17 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 19:35 UTC

On 9/21/2021 8:03 AM, Barton wrote:
> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>
> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
> select the browser of my choice.
>
> How do I do that ?

If you want to do this for a limited number of file-types, I suggest
File-Types Manager (FileTypesMan.exe) from Nirsoft at
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html>. The reason I
indicate "a limited number of file-types" is that this application
requires the user to modify separately the context menu for each
file-type.

However, some file-types are dependent on others and thus automatically
receive modifications to their base file-type. For example, I think
modifying the context menu for .html files automatically implements the
same modification for .htm and .xhtml file-types.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sidckj$3uc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2476&group=alt.windows7.general#2476

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 20:43:15 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 19:43 UTC

On 21/09/2021 20:35, David E. Ross wrote:

> For example, I think
> modifying the context menu for .html files automatically implements the
> same modification for .htm and .xhtml file-types.

Usually maybe, but it's certainly not a given.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sidujm$bi3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2508&group=alt.windows7.general#2508

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 20:48:38 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 00:48 UTC

"Barton" <Barton@Barton.com> wrote

|I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
| | So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
| select the browser of my choice.
| | How do I do that ?

Open regedit to HKCR
If there isn't a * subkey, create it.
Under HKCR\*\ you'll need a shell subkey:
HKCR\*\shell\

For each program you want on right click (I have 6 or 7)
add the following. This sample uses Notepad:

HKCR\*\shell\Open With Notepad
default value: "Open With Notepad"

(The subkey name here doesn't matter. If you want
Notepad first on the nemu you can name the key
something like "AANotepad".)

HKCR\*\shell\Open With Notepad\Command\

default value: "C:\Windows\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE" "%1"

What that does is to give you the submenu for all file
types (*) and sends the file path of the right'clicked file
as a command line to the program. Most programs can handle
that. (I have submenus for Notepad, my own code editor,
Paint Shop Pro., HxD, New Moon, and IrfanView.) But a few,
notably 7-Zip, are not written to process a command line
that way. The program must be coded for that possibility
for it to work. It's sort of like CTRL + C to copy selected
text to the Clipboard. Most programs will act as expected,
but they have to be coded to do so. The author has to think
that function is worthwhile.

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sifl27$3b9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2533&group=alt.windows7.general#2533

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 12:19:20 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 16:19 UTC

On 9/21/2021 8:48 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Barton" <Barton@Barton.com> wrote
>
> |I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
> |
> | So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
> | select the browser of my choice.
> |
> | How do I do that ?
>
> Open regedit to HKCR
> If there isn't a * subkey, create it.
> Under HKCR\*\ you'll need a shell subkey:
> HKCR\*\shell\
>
> For each program you want on right click (I have 6 or 7)
> add the following. This sample uses Notepad:
>
> HKCR\*\shell\Open With Notepad
> default value: "Open With Notepad"
>
> (The subkey name here doesn't matter. If you want
> Notepad first on the nemu you can name the key
> something like "AANotepad".)
>
> HKCR\*\shell\Open With Notepad\Command\
>
> default value: "C:\Windows\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE" "%1"
>
> What that does is to give you the submenu for all file
> types (*) and sends the file path of the right'clicked file
> as a command line to the program. Most programs can handle
> that. (I have submenus for Notepad, my own code editor,
> Paint Shop Pro., HxD, New Moon, and IrfanView.) But a few,
> notably 7-Zip, are not written to process a command line
> that way. The program must be coded for that possibility
> for it to work. It's sort of like CTRL + C to copy selected
> text to the Clipboard. Most programs will act as expected,
> but they have to be coded to do so. The author has to think
> that function is worthwhile.

Make a batch with options to open each browser you use. Before running
batch copy link you want <Cntrl>-c. Have batch run, you select browser
then batch use NirCMD clipboard with other commands to run browser
selected with the link.

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<sijofp$9m6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2555&group=alt.windows7.general#2555

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:42:18 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 05:42 UTC

Barton graced us with on 9/21/2021 8:03 AM:
> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>
> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click and
> select the browser of my choice.
>
> How do I do that ?
Partial solution I use but it requires that you use Firefox Fx) as
default browser. I installed the following two extensions to Fx:

http://mybrowseraddon.com/open-in-ie.html
https://mybrowseraddon.com/open-in-chrome.html

Once installed, you use the extension Options dialog to enter the full
pathname to your target browser. The pathname could be to any browser
installed on your system. So, in my case, since my default browser is
Fx52.9ESR and I have no use to run IE nor Edge, I configure the Open In
IE Option to be the pathname to the latest Fx browser for when I page
doesn't render correctly in Fx52.9. I then configure the Open In Chrome
to the chrome pathname since I do use Chrome at time for rendering PDFs.

For example:
Chrome pathname: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Cheers

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<d6xnFabsddThFwXD@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2558&group=alt.windows7.general#2558

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:49:32 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:49 UTC

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 at 22:42:18, Sailfish
<NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote (my responses usually
follow points raised):
>Barton graced us with on 9/21/2021 8:03 AM:
>> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click
>>and select the browser of my choice.
>> How do I do that ?
>Partial solution I use but it requires that you use Firefox Fx) as
>default browser. I installed the following two extensions to Fx:
>
>http://mybrowseraddon.com/open-in-ie.html
>https://mybrowseraddon.com/open-in-chrome.html
>
>Once installed, you use the extension Options dialog to enter the full
>pathname to your target browser. The pathname could be to any browser
[]
>For example:
>Chrome pathname: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
[]
So do you have to open the offending web page in F first, then use the
above to switch to the linked browser? Or, does it add "open in ..." to
the right-click menu - but only in F., so you have to open the _linking_
page in F.?

Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of - David Moser

Re: Windows Right Click Menu Selection

<simeqb$cqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2565&group=alt.windows7.general#2565

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 23:15:42 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 06:15 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us with on 9/24/2021 6:49 AM:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 at 22:42:18, Sailfish
> <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote (my responses usually
> follow points raised):
>> Barton graced us with on 9/21/2021 8:03 AM:
>>> I have several browsers that I use for different occasions.
>>> So when I mouse over something that has a link I want to right click
>>> and select the browser of my choice.
>>> How do I do that ?
>> Partial solution I use but it requires that you use Firefox Fx) as
>> default browser. I installed the following two extensions to Fx:
>>
>> http://mybrowseraddon.com/open-in-ie.html
>> https://mybrowseraddon.com/open-in-chrome.html
>>
>> Once installed, you use the extension Options dialog to enter the full
>> pathname to your target browser. The pathname could be to any browser
> []
>> For example:
>> Chrome pathname: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
> []
> So do you have to open the offending web page in F first, then use the
> above to switch to the linked browser? Or, does it add "open in ..." to
> the right-click menu - but only in F., so you have to open the _linking_
> page in F.?

Hmm, they are Fx add-ons so they only function within Fx (I'm not sure
if similar extensions exist in other browsers.) Once enabled then one
can right-click (context-click) any link and select either add-on to
direct Fx to launch the selected browser (note: Fx remains open on the
same tab).

Alternatively, you can right-click the content page current opened in Fx
and select the desired add-on browser and Fx will launch that browser
with the opening the existing page.