The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

SubjectAuthor
* VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuAl Stuill
+- Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuBit Twister
+- Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuAndrei Z.
+* Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuMarco Moock
|`* Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuAl Stuill
| `- Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuMarco Moock
`- Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in UbuntuPaul

1
VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<tdh9uv$6cg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2445&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2445

From: no_spam@please.net (Al Stuill)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 19:41:18 -0400
 by: Al Stuill - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 23:41 UTC

After a recent update, my VLC media player appimage no longer works on
Ubuntu and I get the following message: Failed to register Appimage in
AppImageLauncherFS: could not open map file. I believe this occurred
after a general Ubuntu update and not VLC specific. I am on Ubuntu
18.04 and the VLC appimage is 3.0.11.1. I've also tried installing a
non-appimage of VLC. Videos play, but many are choppy (like I've lost
all the codecs) and I have no control over audio, video or any other
effects built into VLC. Any ideas how to get back my good playing
appimage version welcome and thanks in advance.

Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<slrntfoglc.266e.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2446&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2446

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 20:21:48 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 01:21 UTC

On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 19:41:18 -0400, Al Stuill wrote:
> After a recent update, my VLC media player appimage no longer works on
> Ubuntu and I get the following message: Failed to register Appimage in
> AppImageLauncherFS: could not open map file. I believe this occurred
> after a general Ubuntu update and not VLC specific. I am on Ubuntu
> 18.04 and the VLC appimage is 3.0.11.1. I've also tried installing a
> non-appimage of VLC. Videos play, but many are choppy (like I've lost
> all the codecs) and I have no control over audio, video or any other
> effects built into VLC. Any ideas how to get back my good playing
> appimage version welcome and thanks in advance.

I run Mageia Linux so I do not have the problem. But I would verify you
do not have a file ownership problem. I have seen people run app as
as root and user app files become owned by root causing problems. Click up
a user terminal and paste the next two lines

find $HOME \( -not -user $USER -or -not -group $LOGNAME \) \
-exec ls -ald '{}' \;
and check owner/group on any lines that show up.

I had VLC not run after a screen crash which left a vlc running in the
background and could not connect back to my camera. Did a reboot
and everything went back to normal.

Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<tdhu4a$uto$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2447&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2447

From: no-email@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 08:25:30 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 05:25 UTC

Al Stuill wrote:
> After a recent update, my VLC media player appimage no longer works on
> Ubuntu and I get the following message: Failed to register Appimage in
> AppImageLauncherFS: could not open map file.  I believe this occurred
> after a general Ubuntu update and not VLC specific.  I am on Ubuntu
> 18.04 and the VLC appimage is 3.0.11.1.  I've also tried installing a
> non-appimage of VLC.  Videos play, but many are choppy (like I've lost
> all the codecs) and I have no control over audio, video or any other
> effects built into VLC.  Any ideas how to get back my good playing
> appimage version welcome and thanks in advance.

VLC 3 - media player (Xenial & newer) : Rob Savoury

https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/vlc3

Read the PPA description!

Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<20220817080934.1fdc664b.mo01@posteo.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2448&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2448

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 08:09:34 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:09 UTC

Am Dienstag, 16. August 2022, um 19:41:18 Uhr schrieb Al Stuill:

> After a recent update, my VLC media player appimage no longer works
> on Ubuntu and I get the following message: Failed to register
> Appimage in AppImageLauncherFS: could not open map file. I believe
> this occurred after a general Ubuntu update and not VLC specific. I
> am on Ubuntu 18.04 and the VLC appimage is 3.0.11.1. I've also tried
> installing a non-appimage of VLC. Videos play, but many are choppy
> (like I've lost all the codecs) and I have no control over audio,
> video or any other effects built into VLC. Any ideas how to get back
> my good playing appimage version welcome and thanks in advance.

Try the apt version.

sudo apt install vlc

Additionally, your OS is very old. You should install 22.04.

Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<tdijf6$ebkd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2449&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2449

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 07:29:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:29 UTC

On 8/16/2022 7:41 PM, Al Stuill wrote:
> After a recent update, my VLC media player appimage no longer works on Ubuntu and I get the following message: Failed to register Appimage in AppImageLauncherFS: could not open map file.  I believe this occurred after a general Ubuntu update and not VLC specific.  I am on Ubuntu 18.04 and the VLC appimage is 3.0.11.1.  I've also tried installing a non-appimage of VLC.  Videos play, but many are choppy (like I've lost all the codecs) and I have no control over audio, video or any other effects built into VLC.  Any ideas how to get back my good playing appimage version welcome and thanks in advance.

Videolan tends to work at the source level. And the
wealth of packaging you see (Flatpaks, AppImages, Snaps,
Debs...), is coming from outside contributors. This means,
if you were to contact Videolan, they would throw their
hands in the air and they would say "we only write
the source, and we care not about your packaging issue".

You can see here, that AppImage fails the most basic
requirements of a format. It's a kind of trap, a tar-pit
for unsuspecting mammals to fall into.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1231597/how-can-i-examine-the-files-inside-an-appimage

One of the principles to be followed when helping people,
is "not to be leading them outside the tree, unless
there is absolutely no other choice". This means the
..deb version (with the ability to pull in dependencies
automatically), is preferred over other mechanisms.
If you went with a Snap for example, a Snap is only
as good as the person preparing it, and could have
just as many issues as an AppImage. When someone presented
a Snap puzzle here a while back, I discovered there
wasn't a blasted thing I could do, to help them!
Completely handcuffed. I had become "little better than
an Apple user" :-)

*******

My summary for what follows, is I installed 18.04.6 and it
would only accept "Wayland on Nouveau" for the first start
cycle. On the second boot, the screen remained black, which is
"normal" for Nouveau on a GTX1080. I used Additional Drivers
to install NVidia 470. That failed. I installed NVidia 515,
and that worked and was accepted. No driver had the word
"Recommended" next to it.

I installed VLC using Synaptic, measured video card power with
nvidia-smi, and the movie I played, used 34W of additional GPU electricity
to decode the test MP4 I used. The CPU used 10% of one core or so.

GLXGears worked reasonably well. The GLXGears image was a bit wrong.
The framerate was slightly slow. But not to such an extent that
I would fret about it and start with this sort of thing.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Here's a picture of my adventure. Looks like my movie is not
all that skippy/jumpy so it's a pass at the moment.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/2SttqNHN/vlc-1804.gif

Your adventure will only be as good as your video card. Support
for old video cards isn't exactly wonderful. If there was a decoder
that worked in there, there is no guarantee any software will use it.

And really, the video card is the whole machine now. It determines
how pokey an old machine is, as a duff video card forces the CPU to
do all the rendering work, and on some occasions here, I've had
persistent 100% CPU on one core for that. If a person owned a
P4 with one core, that processor would then be "overwhelmed" and
incapable of playing a video by itself. Not all distros have
become that bad, but I have seen a case where the CPU usage was just
nuts, to run a basic screen (with no GLXGears either, just idle desktop
a few terminals, maybe a Firefox).

sudo apt install inxi

inxi -G # will give some hints of how crusty things are

inxi -F # more complete summary, edit before posting

Paul

Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<tdjg0h$h8b0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2450&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2450

From: no_spam@please.net (Al Stuill)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:36:48 -0400
 by: Al Stuill - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 19:36 UTC

On 8/17/22 02:09, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 16. August 2022, um 19:41:18 Uhr schrieb Al Stuill:
>
>> After a recent update, my VLC media player appimage no longer works
>> on Ubuntu and I get the following message: Failed to register
>> Appimage in AppImageLauncherFS: could not open map file. I believe
>> this occurred after a general Ubuntu update and not VLC specific. I
>> am on Ubuntu 18.04 and the VLC appimage is 3.0.11.1. I've also tried
>> installing a non-appimage of VLC. Videos play, but many are choppy
>> (like I've lost all the codecs) and I have no control over audio,
>> video or any other effects built into VLC. Any ideas how to get back
>> my good playing appimage version welcome and thanks in advance.
>
> Try the apt version.
>
> sudo apt install vlc
>
> Additionally, your OS is very old. You should install 22.04.

Ok, thanks. This seems to work and even the questionable videos now
play well. Now the question is how to uninstall the three other VLCs
while just leaving today's along with the codecs?

Re: VLC appimage no longer opens in Ubuntu

<tdki20$rjjn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2451&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2451

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 07:17:51 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 05:17 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 17. August 2022, um 15:36:48 Uhr schrieb Al Stuill:

> Ok, thanks. This seems to work and even the questionable videos now
> play well. Now the question is how to uninstall the three other VLCs
> while just leaving today's along with the codecs?

dpkg -l |grep vlc
Where are the .appimage files stored?
Just delete them.