From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Filter log isn't working
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:44:48 -0800
 by: John C. - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:44 UTC

I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
listed in that log and there should have been.

Are any of you also experiencing that issue?

TIA.
--
John C.

Re: Filter log isn't working

<kuindqFb0boU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2404&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2404

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Filter log isn't working
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:55:37 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:55 UTC

John C. wrote:

> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
> listed in that log and there should have been.
>
> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?

For a while, I thought my filter log wasn't working, so turned it off,
cleared it and turned it back on.

I can now see entries in the log from mid-november until today.

I presume you have noticed that you need to manually enlarge the filter
dialog to actually see the log entries?

Re: Filter log isn't working

<um1ai9$12lve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2405&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2405

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:20:23 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:20 UTC

On 12/21/2023 6:44 AM, John C. wrote:
> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
> listed in that log and there should have been.
>
> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?
>
> TIA.

Just out of curiosity, what class are the filtered items ?

Is it

MID contains GoogleGroups Delete

or is it a harder to filter one

User-Agent contains G2 Delete

Some of the header lines, come in when you check for new articles.
Other filter terms can only be evaluated, when the fields are
actually delivered to the client. Like, MID might be an XOVER field
and come in early.

You can open

alt.comp.software.thunderbird.dat

in a text editor, to see what the filters fitted to
alt.comp.software.thunderbird are. There may be a .dat
file for the whole server, when you fit a filter to all
the newsgroups on a server.

When you change Thunderbird versions, the files are migrated
if possible. If any structures are not compatible, they may
get lost (like passwords or something). This is why you'd
review the filters and see if they are all still there.
You can use the GUI for that, it's pretty convenient.

Another possibility is logging got turned off.

Paul

Re: Filter log isn't working

<QhYgN.517462$Svbf.477759@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2408&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2408

From: geoffb@nospam.invalid (Geoff Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:51:26 -0800
 by: Geoff Bears - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:51 UTC

John C. wrote:

> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
> listed in that log and there should have been.
>
> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?

If one deletes the filter log file, the filter log will stop working.
(Perhaps the log file was full of stuff one no longer needed to look at,
or perhaps one wanted to clean old stuff out of the 115 profile.)

If one wants to delete the filter log file, turn filter logging off
first and turn filter logging back on afterwards. Do not expect filter
logging to automatically create a new log file when one deletes the old
log file while filter logging is turned on.

Re: Filter log isn't working

<um1rre$154uf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2409&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2409

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:15:26 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:15 UTC

On 21.12.23 12:44, John C. wrote:
> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
> listed in that log and there should have been.
>
> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?

No. Activate the logging and when you open the log-window you have to
draw it open. A bug in 115 since it exists. BB doe not have this bug
anymore.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Filter log isn't working

<um70hj$24eub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2421&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2421

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:06:05 -0800
 by: John C. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:06 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
>> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
>> listed in that log and there should have been.
>>
>> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?
>
> For a while, I thought my filter log wasn't working, so turned it off,
> cleared it and turned it back on.
>
> I can now see entries in the log from mid-november until today.
>
> I presume you have noticed that you need to manually enlarge the filter
> dialog to actually see the log entries?

Thanks for pointing out the manual enlarge stuff. Just cleared the log
and then reopened it, then manually enlarged the window. Of course, the
log was empty because I've routinely emptied it, but it's probably
working now. Will be keeping an eye on the log to make sure it's
functioning though.

--
John C.

Re: Filter log isn't working

<um70ja$24eub$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2422&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2422

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:07:01 -0800
 by: John C. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:07 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 12/21/2023 6:44 AM, John C. wrote:
>> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
>> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
>> listed in that log and there should have been.
>>
>> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?
>>
>> TIA.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, what class are the filtered items ?
>
> Is it
>
> MID contains GoogleGroups Delete
>
> or is it a harder to filter one
>
> User-Agent contains G2 Delete
>
> Some of the header lines, come in when you check for new articles.
> Other filter terms can only be evaluated, when the fields are
> actually delivered to the client. Like, MID might be an XOVER field
> and come in early.
>
> You can open
>
> alt.comp.software.thunderbird.dat
>
> in a text editor, to see what the filters fitted to
> alt.comp.software.thunderbird are. There may be a .dat
> file for the whole server, when you fit a filter to all
> the newsgroups on a server.
>
> When you change Thunderbird versions, the files are migrated
> if possible. If any structures are not compatible, they may
> get lost (like passwords or something). This is why you'd
> review the filters and see if they are all still there.
> You can use the GUI for that, it's pretty convenient.
>
> Another possibility is logging got turned off.
>
> Paul

Thanks for replying, Paul. Please see my reply to Andy Burns.

--
John C.

Re: Filter log isn't working

<um70o9$24eub$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2423&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2423

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:09:39 -0800
 by: John C. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:09 UTC

Geoff Bears wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
>> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
>> listed in that log and there should have been.
>>
>> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?
>

> If one deletes the filter log file, the filter log will stop working.
> (Perhaps the log file was full of stuff one no longer needed to look at,
> or perhaps one wanted to clean old stuff out of the 115 profile.)
>
> If one wants to delete the filter log file, turn filter logging off
> first and turn filter logging back on afterwards. Do not expect filter
> logging to automatically create a new log file when one deletes the old
> log file while filter logging is turned on.

Thanks for pointing this out, Geoff. Don't remember deleting that file
though. Just checked and still have this file in my profil:

"C:\Users\(redacted)\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\(redacted).default\News\news.eternal-september.org\filterlog.html"

--
John C.

Re: Filter log isn't working

<um70pt$24eub$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2424&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2424

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:10:31 -0800
 by: John C. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:10 UTC

Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 21.12.23 12:44, John C. wrote:
>> I filter out a lot of spew being sent to alt.comp.freeware and have been
>> using the Filter Log. Since updating to 115 though, I've seen nothing
>> listed in that log and there should have been.
>>
>> Are any of you also experiencing that issue?
>
> No. Activate the logging and when you open the log-window you have to
> draw it open. A bug in 115 since it exists. BB doe not have this bug
> anymore.

Thanks for replying, Jörg. Please see my reply to Andy Burns.

--
John C.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Filter log isn't working