From: rhughes@rhughes-XPS-9320.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Ray Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Should Microsoft Acquire Canonical Ubuntu?
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 21:57:42 +0100
 by: Ray Hughes - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 20:57 UTC

Sativa GNutella <Sativa@gnutella.com> writes:

> Will Mark Shuttleworth sell to Microsoft?
> Canonical?s Ubuntu Linux is not just the most popular Linux
> distribution in Microsoft Azure. It is the most popular Linux
> distribution across all clouds, and is the most popular Linux
> distribution in use today. This is some massive success and the
> growth of Ubuntu and Canonical puts the company at the forefront
> of being an interesting acquisition target by companies like
> Microsoft.
>
> My estimates of an acquisition price of between $770 million and
> $3.3 billion are based on the acquisitions of GitHub and
> LinkedIn. Microsoft acquired LinkedIn at $26 billion which is
> roughly 7.2x it?s annual revenue at the time. And, Microsoft
> acquired GitHub at $7.5 billion which is roughly 30x it?s annual
> revenue at the time. Without knowing more about the finances of
> Canonical, its seems to reason the acquisition price will be
> somewhere in the realm of these numbers.
>>> some snipping<<<<

I think Google would appose an MS takeover of Unbuntu.
It would then probably buy if for itself and then murder it.
Google OS could then be all over the world.

But MS buying Canonical would get to say a few top 500
Super computers were at last running an MS OS.

RayH. (Just thinking aloud.)

Re: Should Microsoft Acquire Canonical Ubuntu?

<tcoq01$ksts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2421&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2421

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 12:41:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 16:41 UTC

On 8/7/2022 10:22 AM, Sativa GNutella wrote:

> This scenario would be great, Microsoft buying Canonical Ubuntu,
> would be mind changing.

But they don't need to do any of this, as they have
staff with the skill set to do it all. Adding WSLg and
putting a Linux kernel under the hood, in the Windows 11
machine I'm typing this on, is proof of that.

What they're getting from Canonical at the moment, is
contract maintenance of an OS image. So that the
packages you can call in from the package manager,
will be known to be working properly.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/zvs2vXsS/WSLg-on-Win11.gif

*******

wsl --list --online

The following is a list of valid distributions that can be installed.
Install using 'wsl --install -d <Distro>'.

NAME FRIENDLY NAME
Ubuntu Ubuntu
Debian Debian GNU/Linux
kali-linux Kali Linux Rolling
openSUSE-42 openSUSE Leap 42
SLES-12 SUSE Linux Enterprise Server v12
Ubuntu-16.04 Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Ubuntu-18.04 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Ubuntu-20.04 Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

That's a list of distros I can run from Terminal. In Win11.