From: jsevans@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: Posting binaries anonymously
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 08:00:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Thu, 13 May 2021 08:00 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 19:38:14 -0500, :-) wrote:

> Any ideas on how to post binaries using Tor or something like that?

In order to post on Usenet, you need access. There are 3 ways to do this:

* Use a free service
* Use a paid service
* Run your own server

If you use a free service and they don't require authentication of who
you are and they don't have a problem with Tor, you can just wrap your
newsreader in torsocks on Linux or use the Tor socks proxy with your
newsreader if it is supported. However, I'm not aware of any free
services that allow binaries uploads. Maybe there is one, but that's
pretty.

If you use a paid service, they may or may not allow Tor. Also, unless
you're paying with something like Monero, the Usenet provider will know
who you are and will have access to your name and address.

If you run your own server, you don't have any of that, but you're still
not in the clear. Every message you post will point back to you. If
you're the sole user of that server, it's not hard to see where it came
from and that can't be easily anonymized.

For example, this is from your previous article:

I can see that it was sent from "vipernews.com". I run news.theuse.net
and any message that comes from there is obviously from me because I
don't have any other users. However it's not hard to see who owns a
domain or who leases the IP that it is associated with.

Any anonymity that you have on Usenet is only so deep. Right now, I don't
know who you are but if I were a law enforcement agency, I could contact
vipernews with that message-id and they could tell me who you are. Maybe
they would require a warrant. Maybe they would just cave in and hand over
the info. Maybe they would ignore it because they are in a different
country. Who knows?

Anonymity only begins with Tor. It is an all-encompassing idea where you
have a take a lot of things into consideration.

Re: Posting binaries anonymously

<b8TqI.102348$2a1.80818@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24&group=alt.fan.usenet#24

Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
From: alien@invalid.address (alien)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 21:29:10 +0200
 by: alien - Mon, 24 May 2021 19:29 UTC

On 13/05/21 10.00, Jason Evans wrote:
> Any anonymity that you have on Usenet is only so deep. Right now, I don't
> know who you are but if I were a law enforcement agency, I could contact
> vipernews with that message-id and they could tell me who you are. Maybe
> they would require a warrant. Maybe they would just cave in and hand over
> the info. Maybe they would ignore it because they are in a different
> country. Who knows?

Agree, from what I am learn from https://torrentfreak.com/?s=usenet over
the years, usually the usenet provider is the weakest link, but in my
opinion
you cannot blame them since what they do is business.
Otherwise they will get the blame.

But there is the other way though, using block account, usually posting
is not counted to the block account allowance.
You can even buy block account with crypto currency in some usenet
provider so there should no "banking" record.

So if something bad happen and the block account been blocked or
blacklisted, it should harder to find who is using that account.

Even though they could still find from others means like the IP from
posting log, etc.
--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Posting binaries anonymously