Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

computers / news.software.nntp / Junk messages

SubjectAuthor
* Junk messagesNigel Reed
+* Re: Junk messagesOlivier Miakinen
|+- Re: Junk messagesOlivier Miakinen
|+* Re: Junk messagesAdam H. Kerman
||`- Re: Junk messagesOlivier Miakinen
|`* Re: Junk messagesIvo Gandolfo
| `- Re: Junk messagesOlivier Miakinen
+- Re: Junk messagesD
+- Re: Junk messagesMarco Moock
+* Re: Junk messagesEtian
|`* Re: Junk messagesNigel Reed
| `- Re: Junk messagesOlivier Miakinen
`- Re: Junk messagesllp

1
Junk messages

<20231106125731.7a2335a5@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2399&group=news.software.nntp#2399

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Junk messages
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:57:31 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:57 UTC

Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a similar
issue.

Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
option.

Thanks,

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Junk messages

<uibeps$1ndc$1@cabale.usenet-fr.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2400&group=news.software.nntp#2400

From: om+news@miakinen.net (Olivier Miakinen)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Junk messages
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:29:00 +0100
 by: Olivier Miakinen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:29 UTC

Le 06/11/2023 19:57, Nigel Reed a écrit :
> Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
> comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a similar
> issue.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
> cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
> option.

Hello Nigel,

Do you accept Cancel articles sent by miakibot ? The path ends with :
paganini.bofh.team!miakibot!byfrom!mmfcancel!cyberspam!not-for-mail

Normally I only cancel spams on the french speaking hierarchy fr.*,
but if I can have access for reading on a server where these spams are
still present on comp.sys.arcorn.misc, and if Ivo Gandolfo accepts that
I cancel these 1500 messages via paganini server, then I should be able
to do it with an appropriate regexp.

Alternatively, if you (or Ivo) don't want me to cancel them directly,
I can just apply the regexp in order to produce the list of all MIDs.

Best Regards,
--
Olivier Miakinen

Re: Junk messages

<5538d91b213280121b4a5065db7e33cc@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2401&group=news.software.nntp#2401

From: J@M (D)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:36:14 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
 by: D - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:36 UTC

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:57:31 -0600, Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:
>Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
>comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a similar
>issue.
>Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
>cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
>option.

e.g. . .
>From: Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
>Subject: Re: Junk submissions
>Date: 18 Oct 2023 13:00:14 +0100 (BST)
>
>Adrian Crafer <acrafer@spam/orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> From the 12th onwards I seem to have received a large number of junk/scam
>> emails to this group. Is there a moderator of any type who could block
>> these?
>
>It's coming from Google Groups and is affecting large numbers of newsgroups.
>Google don't care, in fact they don't even know what newsgroups are. This
>group is not moderated and so there is no way to filter it at source. Your
>news provider could decide to do so, that is up to them (ie probably they
>won't).
>I have a filter set for
>which zaps all of it, although it does zap the legit posters from Google
>Groups too. I unblock specific From: addresses which helps get a few of
>them back, but that's a manual job (and I only find out about them when
>somebody quotes them enough to include their email address, otherwise they
>are completely hidden)
>Theo

just checked "comp.sys.acorn.misc", and there are over one thousand
six hundred (1637) googlespams since 12 October 2023 . . . not much
compared to the 100s of 1000s googlespams plaguing other newsgroups;
google admins should do the right thing and shut their servers down

Re: Junk messages

<uibgm9$jn38$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2402&group=news.software.nntp#2402

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:01:13 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:01 UTC

Am 06.11.2023 um 12:57:31 Uhr schrieb Nigel Reed:

> Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
> cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
> option.

Filter for Injection-Info header and let it delete all that includes
google.

Re: Junk messages

<db5b3$65494789$a6b0bb2b$32283@news.sonic-news.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2403&group=news.software.nntp#2403

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:07:37 -0800
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
From: etian@sonic-news.com (Etian)
 by: Etian - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:07 UTC

On 11/6/23 10:57, Nigel Reed wrote:
> Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
> comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a similar
> issue.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
> cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
> option.
>
> Thanks,

On 11/6/23 10:57, Nigel Reed wrote:
> Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
> comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a similar
> issue.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
> cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
> option.
>
> Thanks,

To clean up a trashed newsgroup, I use a newsreader that will make an
nzb of selected messages (e.g. pan or forte), then run this PERL script.
It's crude, and somebody can probably improve it, perhaps for inclusion
in the INN package.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

## this script will purge all message_id's found in the specified file
#follow with expireover -s -f /usr/local/news/tmp/group.txt

my ($nzbfile) = @ARGV or die "No file specified";

unless (index($nzbfile,'.nzb')>1) {die "file must have .nzb extension";}
open(NZB,$nzbfile) or die "file not found";
while (<NZB>) {
if (m/\>(.+)\</) {
my $command = "/usr/local/news/bin/ctlinnd cancel " . '"<' . $1 . '>"';

system ($command);
};
} exit;

Re: Junk messages

<uibjbv$1qr0$1@cabale.usenet-fr.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2404&group=news.software.nntp#2404

From: om+news@miakinen.net (Olivier Miakinen)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:46:54 +0100
 by: Olivier Miakinen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:46 UTC

Le 06/11/2023 20:29, I wrote :

> Do you accept Cancel articles sent by miakibot ? The path ends with :
> paganini.bofh.team!miakibot!byfrom!mmfcancel!cyberspam!not-for-mail

Oops ! There is a variable part (e.g. "byfrom" may be "bysubject" or "bymid").

The fixed part is "paganini.bofh.team!miakibot" and "cyberspam!not-for-mail"

--
Olivier Miakinen

Re: Junk messages

<aknikipt5fi5s62i92r5nl6bsplbkqk2n2@news.usenet.ovh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2405&group=news.software.nntp#2405

From: llp@usenet.ovh.invalid (llp)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 22:50:18 +0100
 by: llp - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:50 UTC

Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> composa la prose suivante:

>Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
>comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a similar
>issue.
>
>Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these? Obviously
>cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command is not an
>option.

Use Nocem from Eternal-September and news.usenet.ovh
I see no spam in comp.sys.arcorn.misc on my server.

You can read this article: <faqbot-fr.45231.7870109028@usenet.ovh>
Or the directlink:

- Eternal-september nocem: http://usenet.ovh/?article=nocem
- news.usenet.ovh nocem: http://usenet.ovh/?article=nocem

Sincerely

--
Liste de serveurs offrant un accès gratuit à la hiérarchie FR.*
http://usenet.ovh/?article=faq_serveur_gratuit

Recherche d'article Usenet
http://usenet.ovh/?article=ual

Re: Junk messages

<20231106155251.4cbd6e0a@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2406&group=news.software.nntp#2406

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 15:52:51 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:52 UTC

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:07:37 -0800
Etian <etian@sonic-news.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/23 10:57, Nigel Reed wrote:
> > Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
> > comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a
> > similar issue.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these?
> > Obviously cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel command
> > is not an option.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> On 11/6/23 10:57, Nigel Reed wrote:
> > Some clown has jumped over 1500 junk spam whatever messages into
> > comp.sys.arcorn.misc - I'm sure there's probably others with a
> > similar issue.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good way for me to delete all these?
> > Obviously cutting and posting the messageid into the cancel
> > command is not an option.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> To clean up a trashed newsgroup, I use a newsreader that will make an
> nzb of selected messages (e.g. pan or forte), then run this PERL
> script. It's crude, and somebody can probably improve it, perhaps for
> inclusion in the INN package.
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> ## this script will purge all message_id's found in the specified file
> #follow with expireover -s -f /usr/local/news/tmp/group.txt
>
> my ($nzbfile) = @ARGV or die "No file specified";
>
> unless (index($nzbfile,'.nzb')>1) {die "file must have .nzb
> extension";} open(NZB,$nzbfile) or die "file not found";
> while (<NZB>) {
> if (m/\>(.+)\</) {
> my $command = "/usr/local/news/bin/ctlinnd cancel " .
> '"<' . $1 . '>"';
>
> system ($command);
> };
> }
> exit;

Thanks, I looked a bit more into this after I posted and saw that I
didn't have cem configured in my newsfeeds so I added a bunch of ssh
keys and configured nocem.ctl and let it rip! It's currently doing a
clean up.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Junk messages

<uibpch$lcer$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2408&group=news.software.nntp#2408

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:29:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:29 UTC

Olivier Miakinen <om+news@miakinen.net> wrote:

>Do you accept Cancel articles sent by miakibot ? The path ends with :
>paganini.bofh.team!miakibot!byfrom!mmfcancel!cyberspam!not-for-mail

May I ask why you issue cancels in lieu of NoCeMs?

Re: Junk messages

<uibq25$1tr0$1@cabale.usenet-fr.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2409&group=news.software.nntp#2409

From: om+news@miakinen.net (Olivier Miakinen)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 23:41:09 +0100
 by: Olivier Miakinen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:41 UTC

Le 06/11/2023 22:52, Nigel Reed a écrit :

> [...] I looked a bit more into this after I posted and saw that I
> didn't have cem configured in my newsfeeds so I added a bunch of ssh
> keys and configured nocem.ctl and let it rip! It's currently doing a
> clean up.

Fine.

--
Olivier Miakinen

Re: Junk messages

<uibqgi$1u0f$1@cabale.usenet-fr.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2410&group=news.software.nntp#2410

From: om+news@miakinen.net (Olivier Miakinen)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 23:48:50 +0100
 by: Olivier Miakinen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:48 UTC

Hello Adam,

Le 06/11/2023 23:29, Adam H. Kerman a écrit :

>>Do you accept Cancel articles sent by miakibot ? The path ends with :
>>paganini.bofh.team!miakibot!byfrom!mmfcancel!cyberspam!not-for-mail
>
> May I ask why you issue cancels in lieu of NoCeMs?

Yes, you may ask and I will respond. :-)

There are three reasons :
1) At least the server that I use for reading (usenet-fr.net) and a server
which is of very large use by the french-speaking community (free.fr) are
old and they don't know how to handle NoCeMs.
2) Another server providing the same hierarchy (pasdenom.info) issues NoCeMs
for the servers which handle them.
3) By laziness about learning how to issue NoCeMs. :-)

Best Regards,
--
Olivier Miakinen

Re: Junk messages

<uicv15$1ba7g$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2411&group=news.software.nntp#2411

From: usenet@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:12:05 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:12 UTC

On 06/11/2023 20:29, Olivier Miakinen wrote:

> Alternatively, if you (or Ivo) don't want me to cancel them directly,
> I can just apply the regexp in order to produce the list of all MIDs.
>
> Best Regards,

For me it's be fine, and if you learn to do NoCEM it's better way ;)

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: Junk messages

<uid89k$2l1f$1@cabale.usenet-fr.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2412&group=news.software.nntp#2412

From: om+news@miakinen.net (Olivier Miakinen)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:50:12 +0100
 by: Olivier Miakinen - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:50 UTC

Le 07/11/2023 10:12, Ivo Gandolfo a écrit :

>> Alternatively, if you (or Ivo) don't want me to cancel them directly,
>> I can just apply the regexp in order to produce the list of all MIDs.
>
> For me it's be fine,

Thanks. However Nigel has solved his (her?) problem, so it is not necessary
after all.

> and if you learn to do NoCEM it's better way ;)

You are right, I am currently working on it.

Regards,
--
Olivier Miakinen