From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: INN makehistory oddities
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 01:46:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 01:46 UTC

I performed manual manipulation of a spool by deleting lots of articles from
tradspool directories and deleted a CNFS buffer containing binaries and junk).
I removed the history files and overview directory contents, and have been
running makehistory since 10/12/2023 and it is *still* running...

The previous overview directory was 67GB and the new one is at 107GB, which
seems odd because I did not add articles, and I know of no previous corruption
or overview issues.

While watching lsof output against the makehistory PID, I am finding that it
is scanning the same tradspool folders more than once, but I am not sure if
that is expected?

I took a look at makehistory.c but do not understand the code enough to
understand if this is normal or not. I would expect that once it has opened a
tradspool directory that contains a group that it would scan all of the
articles/files in that directory and move on, but it seems that is not the
case?

I also have a couple of "Bad article handle" messages that don't make sense:

makehistory: tradspool: can't determine class of
@0500000087B5000000000001390000000000@: Bad article handle

It seems okay though?

$ sm -c '@0500000087B5000000000001390000000000@'
@0500000087B5000000000001390000000000@ method=tradspool class=0 ngnum=34741
artnum=0 file=/usr/local/news/spool/articles/misc/health/alternative/80128

Re: INN makehistory oddities

<uhjsb9$156ko$2@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=news.software.nntp#2374

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: INN makehistory oddities
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:52:57 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 20:52 UTC

Hi Jesse,

> I performed manual manipulation of a spool by deleting lots of articles from
> tradspool directories and deleted a CNFS buffer containing binaries and junk).
> I removed the history files and overview directory contents, and have been
> running makehistory since 10/12/2023 and it is *still* running...

It takes a bloody long time... I unfortunately do not have any advice
to make it run faster except for using the "-s" flag. I'll respond on
another message you sent about makehistory and dbz operations.

> The previous overview directory was 67GB and the new one is at 107GB, which
> seems odd because I did not add articles

Maybe the first run of expireover (news.daily) will shrink it a bit, and
expire articles which should no longer be in the overview data
(cancelled or removed by a NoCeM notice).

> While watching lsof output against the makehistory PID, I am finding that it
> is scanning the same tradspool folders more than once, but I am not sure if
> that is expected?

When dealing with tradspool, it should indeed treat directories in order
(tradspool_next() method). Maybe the behaviour you see comes from
crossposted articles? makehistory opens the (hard-linked) file present
in each directory an article has been crossposted to, and looks at its
Xref header field to seek the first newsgroup mentioned (considered to
be the master, and only treats the article when dealing with that first
newsgroup).

> I also have a couple of "Bad article handle" messages that don't make sense:
>
> makehistory: tradspool: can't determine class of
> @0500000087B5000000000001390000000000@: Bad article handle

I don't think the "Bad article handle" error is related to this article.
This error is set when SMgetsub() in storage/interface.c is called with
an article length of 0, whereas the "can't determine class of" error
occurs only with articles whose length is > 0 in
storage/tradspool/tradspool.c.

So I bet the "Bad article handle" error corresponds to a previous error,
and not the one for this article. Which implies that SMgetsub() did not
return NULL and therefore that the type of the token does not correspond
to tradspool.
I am very unsure why it would happen during a rebuild of the history
file. Looking at a comment, a modification of the storage.conf file is
mentioned. Would it happen that the article stored in tradspool
according to the rules of your initial storage.conf file has now a
different rule?

[storage/tradspool/tradspool.c]

if ((sub = SMgetsub(*art)) == NULL || sub->type != TOKEN_TRADSPOOL) {
/* maybe storage.conf is modified, after receiving article */
token = MakeToken(priv.ngtp->ngname, artnum, 0);

if (art->len > 0)
warn("tradspool: can't determine class of %s: %s",
TokenToText(token), SMerrorstr);
}

FWIW, I think the code could be improved this way so that it does not
display an unappropriated error.

- if (art->len > 0)
+ if (art->len > 0 && sub == NULL)
warn("tradspool: can't determine class of %s: %s",
TokenToText(token), SMerrorstr);

> It seems okay though?
>
> $ sm -c '@0500000087B5000000000001390000000000@'
> @0500000087B5000000000001390000000000@ method=tradspool class=0 ngnum=34741
> artnum=0 file=/usr/local/news/spool/articles/misc/health/alternative/80128

When the discussed error occurs, the token is computed on the fly with a
forced class of 0, and belonging to tradspool. Decoding it with "sm -c"
will naturally work (and give you the tradspool method, class 0).

The good news is that the token is properly computed, and integrated
into your history file.
The error of "can't determine class of" should not be displayed in your
case (if I am right in my understanding of what happened). It should be
displayed only when there's a real error, that is to say when SMgetsub()
returns NULL. Otherwise, I don't think it matters much.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Dans toute statistique, l'inexactitude du nombre est compensée par la
précision des décimales. » (Alfred Sauvy)

Re: INN makehistory oddities

<uhrikb$15vej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2389&group=news.software.nntp#2389

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:56:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:56 UTC

On Oct 28, 2023 at 3:52:57 PM CDT, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> When dealing with tradspool, it should indeed treat directories in order
> (tradspool_next() method). Maybe the behaviour you see comes from
> crossposted articles? makehistory opens the (hard-linked) file present
> in each directory an article has been crossposted to, and looks at its
> Xref header field to seek the first newsgroup mentioned (considered to
> be the master, and only treats the article when dealing with that first
> newsgroup).

With lsof it is hard to catch individual open files/links, but what I am
noticing is that it will open a directory, say
/usr/local/news/spool/articles/uk/d-i-y, and appears to iterate through that
directory building history and overview. Now that I'm several days into the
process, I see that this morning it currently has
/usr/local/news/spool/articles/uk/d-i-y open again and seems to be doing the
same thing I noticed days ago. I assume it can't be duplicating
history/overview records. There are some groups that have over a million
articles, so those I notice it spending a lot of time keeping open and
remember them. I didn't expect to see those same groups being opened later in
the same run for long periods of time.

> I am very unsure why it would happen during a rebuild of the history
> file. Looking at a comment, a modification of the storage.conf file is
> mentioned. Would it happen that the article stored in tradspool
> according to the rules of your initial storage.conf file has now a
> different rule?

Thanks for the explanations. It is possible for a small number of groups the
storage class changed in the past.

I now see a few of these errors:

makehistory: cannot write overview data
"@050000005106000000000000001B00000000@"
makehistory: cannot write overview data
"@050000005106000000000000001C00000000@"
makehistory: cannot write overview data
"@050000005106000000000000001D00000000@"
makehistory: cannot write overview data
"@050000005106000000000000002200000000@"
makehistory: cannot write overview data
"@050000005106000000000000002300000000@"

I'm not really sure "why" it can't write the overview information as I don't
see anything wrong with the articles and they are relatively recent.

$ sm -c "@050000005106000000000000002300000000@"
@050000005106000000000000002300000000@ method=tradspool class=0 ngnum=20742
artnum=0 file=/usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/35
$ sm -c "@050000005106000000000000002200000000@"
@050000005106000000000000002200000000@ method=tradspool class=0 ngnum=20742
artnum=0 file=/usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/34
$ sm -c "@050000005106000000000000001B00000000@"
@050000005106000000000000001B00000000@ method=tradspool class=0 ngnum=20742
artnum=0 file=/usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/27

They seem like normal articles to me and nothing stands out at first glance:

$ cat /usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/35
From: Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de>
Newsgroups: de.alt.dateien.misc
Subject: Re: Wanze
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 19:03:18 +0200

Re: INN makehistory oddities

<uht140$1di8h$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2391&group=news.software.nntp#2391

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 09:09:36 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:09 UTC

Hi Jesse,

> With lsof it is hard to catch individual open files/links, but what I am
> noticing is that it will open a directory, say
> /usr/local/news/spool/articles/uk/d-i-y, and appears to iterate through that
> directory building history and overview. Now that I'm several days into the
> process, I see that this morning it currently has
> /usr/local/news/spool/articles/uk/d-i-y open again and seems to be doing the
> same thing I noticed days ago.

Strange. I don't understand why makehistory would re-process the same
newsgroup twice.
Is it also listed several times in /usr/local/news/spool/tradspool.map?

> makehistory: cannot write overview data
>
> They seem like normal articles to me and nothing stands out at first glance:
>
> $ cat /usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/35

The headers look normal. I also do not know what's happening :(

Looking at the possible reasons for this error, I assume you're not
using ovgrouppat (inn.conf) as it may cause that on some cases.
Otherwise, I don't see why the write could not be done. Is this error
only appearing now, after almost 20 days of makehistory run? (seems an
eternity)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Non omnia possumus omnes. » (Virgile)

Re: INN makehistory oddities

<uhtgcp$1k3lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2392&group=news.software.nntp#2392

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:30:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:30 UTC

On Nov 1, 2023 at 3:09:36 AM CDT, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Jesse,
>
>> With lsof it is hard to catch individual open files/links, but what I am
>> noticing is that it will open a directory, say
>> /usr/local/news/spool/articles/uk/d-i-y, and appears to iterate through that
>> directory building history and overview. Now that I'm several days into the
>> process, I see that this morning it currently has
>> /usr/local/news/spool/articles/uk/d-i-y open again and seems to be doing the
>> same thing I noticed days ago.
>
> Strange. I don't understand why makehistory would re-process the same
> newsgroup twice.
> Is it also listed several times in /usr/local/news/spool/tradspool.map?

They are only listed once.

>> makehistory: cannot write overview data
>>
>> They seem like normal articles to me and nothing stands out at first glance:
>>
>> $ cat /usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/35
>
> The headers look normal. I also do not know what's happening :(
>
> Looking at the possible reasons for this error, I assume you're not
> using ovgrouppat (inn.conf) as it may cause that on some cases.
> Otherwise, I don't see why the write could not be done. Is this error
> only appearing now, after almost 20 days of makehistory run? (seems an
> eternity)

That option is commented out in my config. I've had to run makehistory twice
due to storage issues the first time. This second run has been going for a
little over 7 days and I think is getting close to completing.

I have about 20 of these errors now. They are all from the same group,
de.alt.dateien.misc, and a few are of the same thread but otherwise I see
nothing out of place.

Re: INN makehistory oddities

<ui11it$1g15e$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2396&group=news.software.nntp#2396

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:42:05 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 20:42 UTC

Hi Jesse,

>>> makehistory: cannot write overview data
>>>
>>> They seem like normal articles to me and nothing stands out at first glance:
>>>
>>> $ cat /usr/local/news/spool/articles/de/alt/dateien/misc/35
>
> I have about 20 of these errors now. They are all from the same group,
> de.alt.dateien.misc, and a few are of the same thread but otherwise I see
> nothing out of place.

In order to investigate more, in case you could do the test, you may
install a separate instance of INN, with paths in inn.conf naturally
pointing to different locations than your production system, and
patharticles pointing to a repository where you put only the spool of
de.alt.dateien.misc, and you run "makehistory -O -x" to see whether you
still see the "cannot write overview data" error. It would mean the
error is reproducible.
Then try "makehistory -S -O -x" (-S instructs makehistory to write to
stdout the overview data). We'll maybe understand what's wrong in the
overview data generated by makehistory.

If you have a bit of time to do that, no obligation, and in the hope the
issue is reproducible (it may not...).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Aliud est celare, aliud tacere. »