Life is NP-hard, and then you die. -- Dave Cock

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Adam
+* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
|`* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Adam
| `* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
|  `* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Jonathan N. Little
|   +- Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
|   `- Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Adam
+* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
|+* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
||`* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
|| `* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Mike Easter
||  +- Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Adam
||  `- Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Adam
|`- Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Adam
`* Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Abandoned_Trolley
 `- Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)Jeff Layman

1
[OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbrqqr$13fk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2372&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2372

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:58:03 -0700
 by: Adam - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:58 UTC

I have an HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer that may be running low on
toner. Printouts have smear marks. But, when I take out the toner
cartridge and gently shake to spread the toner powder around,
some toner powder falls out.

Toner cartridge...
HP 61X Black High-Yield Toner Cartridge C8061X

Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?

Any recommendations on black toner powder for 61X?

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkda97Fqg4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2373&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2373

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:17:26 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:17 UTC

Adam wrote:
> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?

I have no experience doing what you want to do.

In past years, I did a LOT of avoiding paying for new toner cartridges
for a copier which got a lot of use; and I was able to take my
cartridges to a local place which refilled them for a reasonable price.
So there wasn't any shipping.

My home printer, which isn't used as much, is an inkjet which wants
black cartridges and black ink. I buy ink in refill kits which works
great. After a cartridge has been refilled about a dozen or so times, I
buy another 'generic' after-market cartridge and start all over.

I don't mind filling ink cartridges w/ a kit designed for that; I don't
think I would like to refill a toner cartridge, as I can't imagine a kit
for it.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbrtg3$btj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2374

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:43:30 -0700
 by: Adam - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:43 UTC

On 07/27/2022 10:17 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?
>
> I have no experience doing what you want to do.
>
> In past years, I did a LOT of avoiding paying for new toner cartridges
> for a copier which got a lot of use; and I was able to take my
> cartridges to a local place which refilled them for a reasonable price.
> So there wasn't any shipping.
>
> My home printer, which isn't used as much, is an inkjet which wants
> black cartridges and black ink. I buy ink in refill kits which works
> great. After a cartridge has been refilled about a dozen or so times, I
> buy another 'generic' after-market cartridge and start all over.

There are refill kits for my LaserJet. Not sure about the quality
though. I still need instructions. Maybe a YT video for 61X?

> I don't mind filling ink cartridges w/ a kit designed for that; I don't
> think I would like to refill a toner cartridge, as I can't imagine a kit
> for it.

Are inkjet printers easier to refill than laserjet printers?
Never had an inkjet printer. IDK

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkdd8qF199sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2375&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2375

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:08:25 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:08 UTC

Adam wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Adam wrote:
>>> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?
>>
> There are refill kits for my LaserJet.  Not sure about the quality
> though.  I still need instructions.  Maybe a YT video for 61X?

I found a place that sells refill toner kits and generic cartridges and
OEM cartridges. That place only sells generic & OEM cartriges for your
model, no toner refill kit.

I'm going to have to see how a refill toner kit works; naturally that
would depend on the specific cartridge.

For inkjets, the OEM doesn't make the cartridges to be 'refillable', so
the kit includes a tool to drill a hole in the cartridge plastic. It is
one thing to deliver liquid ink thru' a tiny hole you drill and quite
another to deliver toner if something isn't designed to accommodate that.

That's my problem w/ imagining your target goal so far.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkddvsF1dkdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2376&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2376

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:20:42 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:20 UTC

Adam wrote:
> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?

I haven't found a vid or pix. One place that sells the toner for it
says the kit has a glove, a cloth, and a funnel; and that it takes 10
min; so maybe it is easier than inkjet.

I think of toner as wanting to be dust instead of 'flour' or sugar or
gunpowder. That is, pouring it would want to go everywhere into the air
instead of properly down a funnel.

Maybe I'm just being my usual negative thinking, risk-management self
again :-)

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkdi5kF226pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2377&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2377

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:32:03 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:32 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> pouring it would want to go everywhere into the air instead of properly
> down a funnel.

Aha. I see a kit that has a ketchup/mustard type squeeze-bottle & tip
-- that looks like a better idea; the toner can't escape as dust as easily.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbs47b$2jtj0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2378&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2378

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:38:17 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:38 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>>
>> There are refill kits for my LaserJet.  Not sure about the quality
>> though.  I still need instructions.  Maybe a YT video for 61X?
>>
> I found a place that sells refill toner kits and generic cartridges and
> OEM cartridges.  That place only sells generic & OEM cartriges for your
> model, no toner refill kit.
>
> I'm going to have to see how a refill toner kit works; naturally that
> would depend on the specific cartridge.
>
> For inkjets, the OEM doesn't make the cartridges to be 'refillable', so
> the kit includes a tool to drill a hole in the cartridge plastic.  It is
> one thing to deliver liquid ink thru' a tiny hole you drill and quite
> another to deliver toner if something isn't designed to accommodate that.
>
> That's my problem w/ imagining your target goal so far.

A bit of advice to OP, best to buy GENERIC NEW cartridges and not
REBUILT/REFURNISHED cartridges (or using refill kits) to save $$. You
want the new parts, because it will give to the best consistent quality
results. Been my direct experience.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkdk1sF2avpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2379&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2379

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:04:11 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:04 UTC

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> A bit of advice to OP, best to buy GENERIC NEW cartridges and not
> REBUILT/REFURNISHED cartridges (or using refill kits) to save $$. You
> want the new parts, because it will give to the best consistent quality
> results. Been my direct experience.

Maybe surprisingly, I've had better luck w/ generic inkjet cartridges
and refill ink than w/ OEM cartridges in terms of jets clogging. That
is, my OEMs have clogged; my generics & refills have not.

I didn't have problems w/ my copier toner refills.

I have no experience w/ laser printers.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbs7bn$2kb5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2380&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2380

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:31:50 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:31 UTC

On 27/07/2022 17:58, Adam wrote:

> I have an HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer that may be running low on
> toner.  Printouts have smear marks.  But, when I take out the toner
> cartridge and gently shake to spread the toner powder around,
> some toner powder falls out.
>
> Toner cartridge...
> HP 61X Black High-Yield Toner Cartridge C8061X
>
> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?
>
> Any recommendations on black toner powder for 61X?

yeah - my recommendation is for you to find out where the waste toner
goes, and how to get rid of it...

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkdpv2F3881U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2381&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2381

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:45:05 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:45 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Aha.  I see a kit that has a ketchup/mustard type squeeze-bottle & tip
> -- that looks like a better idea; the toner can't escape as dust as easily.

I watched a vid. He didn't like/prefer the squeeze-bottle tip/funnel;
he fashioned his own out of paper, which worked out nicely after filling
because he could just crumple the paper and avoid the messy toner residue.

Also, he just 'tore into' the cartridge to make a hole, altho' it looked
like he had an unused electric tool which one of the toner sources sells
for $14 as their recommended method of accessing. That struck me as a
surprise; why not use the tool if he had one right there?

> Although you can use a utility knife, it is much easier to use one of our hole-making tools. It is the cleanest, easiest way to complete the refill process. To purchase a hole-making tool, click HERE.

I watched another vid. I'm getting 'smarter and smarter' (ie less
completely ignorant :-)

Neither of these vids is about the OP specific cartridge. Some cart/s
have a refill port w/ a cap; some cart's refill kit can buy or include a
heat-based hole maker which is better than drilling or 'tearing into'
the cartridge because it also includes a cap/plug the right size for the
heat-created hole.

Some vid commentary discussion mentions the 'problem' about dealing w/
the cart's waste toner, which neither vid has addressed. The 2nd vid
also says that some cartridge refill kits also need (or include) a chip
to replace the existing chip (to monitor residual toner) or the
cartridge won't function.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<jkds1aF3i3vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2382&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2382

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:20:25 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:20 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Some vid commentary discussion mentions the 'problem' about dealing w/
> the cart's waste toner, which neither vid has addressed.  The 2nd vid
> also says that some cartridge refill kits also need (or include) a chip
> to replace the existing chip (to monitor residual toner) or the
> cartridge won't function.

I see replacement chips for this printer cartridge for sale for $5, but
I don't see any vid about replacing that specific chip. However, I do
see some other HP model chip replacement vid/s that i didn't like :-(

I also see some HP cartridge vids that show a LOT of cartridge
disassembly, almost like a 'rebuild'.

This is getting too deep for me.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbspde$b3b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2383&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2383

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:39:58 -0700
 by: Adam - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 01:39 UTC

On 07/27/2022 12:38 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Adam wrote:
>>>>
>>> There are refill kits for my LaserJet. Not sure about the quality
>>> though. I still need instructions. Maybe a YT video for 61X?
>>>
>> I found a place that sells refill toner kits and generic cartridges and
>> OEM cartridges. That place only sells generic & OEM cartriges for your
>> model, no toner refill kit.
>>
>> I'm going to have to see how a refill toner kit works; naturally that
>> would depend on the specific cartridge.
>>
>> For inkjets, the OEM doesn't make the cartridges to be 'refillable', so
>> the kit includes a tool to drill a hole in the cartridge plastic. It is
>> one thing to deliver liquid ink thru' a tiny hole you drill and quite
>> another to deliver toner if something isn't designed to accommodate that.
>>
>> That's my problem w/ imagining your target goal so far.
>>

> A bit of advice to OP, best to buy GENERIC NEW cartridges and not
> REBUILT/REFURNISHED cartridges (or using refill kits) to save $$. You
> want the new parts, because it will give to the best consistent quality
> results. Been my direct experience.

Thanks, message taken. Buy quality new generic cartridges.

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbspku$g04$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2384&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2384

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:43:58 -0700
 by: Adam - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 01:43 UTC

On 07/27/2022 11:20 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?
>
> I haven't found a vid or pix. One place that sells the toner for it
> says the kit has a glove, a cloth, and a funnel; and that it takes 10
> min; so maybe it is easier than inkjet.
>
> I think of toner as wanting to be dust instead of 'flour' or sugar or
> gunpowder. That is, pouring it would want to go everywhere into the air
> instead of properly down a funnel.
>
> Maybe I'm just being my usual negative thinking, risk-management self
> again :-)

I've watched a YT video for a different model toner cartridge.
So, I understand Jonathan N. Little's concern. There's a rod that
needs to be replaced at some point.

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbsq46$kfb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2385&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2385

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:52:05 -0700
 by: Adam - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 01:52 UTC

On 07/27/2022 03:20 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Some vid commentary discussion mentions the 'problem' about dealing w/
>> the cart's waste toner, which neither vid has addressed. The 2nd vid
>> also says that some cartridge refill kits also need (or include) a
>> chip to replace the existing chip (to monitor residual toner) or the
>> cartridge won't function.
>
> I see replacement chips for this printer cartridge for sale for $5, but
> I don't see any vid about replacing that specific chip. However, I do
> see some other HP model chip replacement vid/s that i didn't like :-(
>
> I also see some HP cartridge vids that show a LOT of cartridge
> disassembly, almost like a 'rebuild'.
>
> This is getting too deep for me.

LOL

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbsqkg$okq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2386&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2386

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:00:48 -0700
 by: Adam - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 02:00 UTC

On 07/27/2022 03:20 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Some vid commentary discussion mentions the 'problem' about dealing w/
>> the cart's waste toner, which neither vid has addressed. The 2nd vid
>> also says that some cartridge refill kits also need (or include) a
>> chip to replace the existing chip (to monitor residual toner) or the
>> cartridge won't function.
>
> I see replacement chips for this printer cartridge for sale for $5, but
> I don't see any vid about replacing that specific chip. However, I do
> see some other HP model chip replacement vid/s that i didn't like :-(
>
> I also see some HP cartridge vids that show a LOT of cartridge
> disassembly, almost like a 'rebuild'.
>
> This is getting too deep for me.

The YT video that I watched was like a 'rebuild'. LOTS of pins and
small parts holding the toner cartridge together.

I bought 4 toner cartridges from a rebuilder years ago.
They were much cheaper back then. Price may have doubled now.

Re: [OT] DIY toner refill (for HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer)

<tbtcud$2tofp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2387&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2387

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:13:17 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 07:13 UTC

On 27/07/2022 21:31, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 27/07/2022 17:58, Adam wrote:
>>
>> I have an HP LaserJet 4100TN Laser Printer that may be running low on
>> toner.  Printouts have smear marks.  But, when I take out the toner
>> cartridge and gently shake to spread the toner powder around,
>> some toner powder falls out.
>>
>> Toner cartridge...
>> HP 61X Black High-Yield Toner Cartridge C8061X
>>
>> Are there instructions for DIY toner refill for the 61X toner cartridge?
>>
>> Any recommendations on black toner powder for 61X?
>

> yeah - my recommendation is for you to find out where the waste toner
> goes, and how to get rid of it...

LOL! Sounds like you've done this once or twice...

I put down old newspaper and wear disposable gloves and old clothes
(then, of course, no toner will spill. But if I didn't...). Don't try to
wipe up any spilled toner - use a vacuum cleaner on it first.

I had a couple of cartridges from a dead laser printer, and have slowly
been using up the toner from them in the replacement printer. I did,
though, have to do a little bit of soldering on the page-counter chip to
stop it preventing me using the old toner as a refill rather than having
to buy a new OEM cartridge.

--

Jeff