I am NOMAD!

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

SubjectAuthor
* USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)Jeff Barnett
|`- Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)Rene Lamontagne
|`* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `- Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)Rene Lamontagne
`* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)gfretwell
 `* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)Rene Lamontagne
  `* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)J. P. Gilliver (John)
   `* Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)Rene Lamontagne
    `- Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)Rene Lamontagne

1
USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<k+qp0gi263OhFw4R@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2368&group=alt.windows7.general#2368

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:50:14 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 15:50 UTC

I recently bought an illuminated keyboard (light _through_ keys, not
just around them).

Sometimes it works fine; sometimes, however, it sits there, with the
laptop emitting the "USB device unplugged" sound, at a regular interval
(somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds, I'd say). If I watch carefully, its
lights flash briefly at around that point (you can turn its lights off
[despite what the "manual" says that it's Fn - yes, it has a Fn key -
plus Scroll Lock, I think they're just in parallel with its scroll lock
light], but the default at powerup is that they're on, which is fair
enough).

Would I be correct in guessing that it draws (presumably only slightly,
given it works sometimes) more than 0.5A, and the circuitry in the
laptop retries at the interval mentioned? I've tried at least two of the
laptop's USB sockets, and had the same result in each - works sometimes,
other times just gives the regular gedunk and brief flash. Doesn't work
at all via an unpowered hub.

Illuminated keyboards in general: don't buy, at least at the cheap end
of the market as I did. Reasons:

Especially if you're not in the USA, may not be the keyboard layout you
want. I could live with that if it was just the key markings (though
it'd be annoying, since I bought it to see them!), but UK/US have
different key _shapes_/positions (for example, there's no key between Z
and left-shift, Enter is only one line high, and I still haven't found
what key produces the \ character. (Anyone know which key on a USA
keyboard produces \ when the computer thinks it is using a UK layout?)
Seller claimed it _was_ UK layout. (Pound sign on shift 3, but also @,
", \, ~, # etc. in different places - especially @ and " which I have
muscle memory for.)

Seller claimed UK made; it was actually, of course, made in China, and
clearly says so on the box. (I'd not actually be bothered about that,
other than it gave me extra ammo to demand a partial refund. Which I
must chase.)

The through-key lighting is (a) poor [not very bright] and (b) uneven
[some keys, especially Esc, not lit at all]. It _isn't_ a light behind
each key - but about four (I think) LEDs lighting a diffusing sheet
under the keys. That probably would work reasonably well, if I didn't
get the feeling some sort of top sheet was missing: the three lock
lights, and another panel with the maker's name on between the sixpack
and the arrow keys, are raised well above the level of the baseplate,
implying there should be a sheet of something at that level under all
the keys. Without it, the back diffuser light shines through the gaps
_between_ the keys, making any light coming _through_ the letter etc.
symbols harder to see. (It's very _pretty_, as they've used all three
colours of LED. [No, they don't change colour and there's no change
facility.])

It's a pity, as - because I think it's aimed at the gaming market (it
was sold with a mouse, which I've not tested), with the backlighting
really as a gimmick - it seems _mechanically_ to be extremely well made;
if it wasn't for the fact that it sometimes stops working, I'd still be
using it, as it's a pleasure to use.

Partly my own fault for picking the cheapest one that actually said it
had a UK layout (It was only 8.88 pounds, new and post free, for the
keyboard, mouse, and mat) - though as with many things on ebay, others
costing much more looked to be the same model. (To be fair, I found when
trying to take pics [to show the seller] that it looks a lot better
[brighter] in photos than in reality, so the pics in their listing
_might_ not have been _intentionally_ misleading.)

Intelligence isn't complete without the full picture and the full picture is
all about doubt. Otherwise, you go the way of George Bush. - baroness Eliza
Manningham-Buller (former head of MI5), Radio Times 3-9 September 2011.

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<shg10j$jbo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2369&group=alt.windows7.general#2369

From: jbb@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 10:26:54 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:26 UTC

On 9/10/2021 9:50 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> [...]
> facility.])
>
> It's a pity, as - because I think it's aimed at the gaming market (it
> was sold with a mouse, which I've not tested), with the backlighting
> really as a gimmick - it seems _mechanically_ to be extremely well made;
> if it wasn't for the fact that it sometimes stops working, I'd still be
> using it, as it's a pleasure to use.
>
> Partly my own fault for picking the cheapest one that actually said it
> had a UK layout (It was only 8.88 pounds, new and post free, for the
> keyboard, mouse, and mat) - though as with many things on ebay, others
> costing much more looked to be the same model. (To be fair, I found when
> trying to take pics [to show the seller] that it looks a lot better
> [brighter] in photos than in reality, so the pics in their listing
> _might_ not have been _intentionally_ misleading.)

Just curious: Do you have lighting failure as described above when
laptop is plugged into the wall or just when on battery?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<iq1i3lF78hdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2370&group=alt.windows7.general#2370

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:14:29 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 17:14 UTC

On 2021-09-10 10:50 a.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> [...]
> facility.])
>
> It's a pity, as - because I think it's aimed at the gaming market (it
> was sold with a mouse, which I've not tested), with the backlighting
> really as a gimmick - it seems _mechanically_ to be extremely well made;
> if it wasn't for the fact that it sometimes stops working, I'd still be
> using it, as it's a pleasure to use.
>
> Partly my own fault for picking the cheapest one that actually said it
> had a UK layout (It was only 8.88 pounds, new and post free, for the
> keyboard, mouse, and mat) - though as with many things on ebay, others
> costing much more looked to be the same model. (To be fair, I found when
> trying to take pics [to show the seller] that it looks a lot better
> [brighter] in photos than in reality, so the pics in their listing
> _might_ not have been _intentionally_ misleading.)

You didn't tell us the brand or model, Also if you had one of these/or
similar you could determine USB current and voltage and eliminate one
factor, I use mine quite often to check USB device behavior.

https://www.amazon.ca/USB-Meter-Tester-Voltage-Current-Battery-Power-Multimeter-Tester-Resistance/dp/B07D36ZW7Q/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=usb+meter&qid=1631291459&sr=8-9

Rene

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<miMpTJovS5OhFwYX@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2371&group=alt.windows7.general#2371

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:23:59 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 17:23 UTC

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 10:26:54, Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote (my
>On 9/10/2021 9:50 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> I recently bought an illuminated keyboard (light _through_ keys, not
>>just around them).
>> Sometimes it works fine; sometimes, however, it sits there, with the
>>laptop emitting the "USB device unplugged" sound, at a regular
>>interval (somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds, I'd say). If I watch
>>carefully, its lights flash briefly at around that point (you can
>>turn its lights off [despite what the "manual" says that it's Fn -
>>yes, it has a Fn key - plus Scroll Lock, I think they're just in
>>parallel with its scroll lock light], but the default at powerup is
>>that they're on, which is fair enough).
>> Would I be correct in guessing that it draws (presumably only
>>slightly, given it works sometimes) more than 0.5A, and the circuitry
>>in the laptop retries at the interval mentioned? I've tried at least
>>two of the laptop's USB sockets, and had the same result in each -
>>works sometimes, other times just gives the regular gedunk and brief
>>flash. Doesn't work at all via an unpowered hub.
[]
>Just curious: Do you have lighting failure as described above when
>laptop is plugged into the wall or just when on battery?

When laptop is on external power. (Always is; battery is more or less
shot.) But, as I said, only sometimes; sometimes works, with all its
pretty lights on. Unfortunately, less than half the time, so I'm not
using it.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's drawing (slightly) too
much, and thus triggering the laptop's overload detection/protection
(sometimes).

If anyone's interested:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373447495326?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=95c2a5b9795c452e971ae6e0174d1698&bu=430004
14017&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20210804013111&segname=11051&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
I see they've not corrected either the "UK layout" nor "UK manufacture",
and have had the cheek to up the price! DON'T BUY if you want either of
those or have sensitive USB sockets!

.... a series about a grumpy old man who lives in a phone box is unlikely to
have been commissioned these days. 798 episodes later ...

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<q25njgp00p3c7haam7hnnuv5j3jqovafbn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2372&group=alt.windows7.general#2372

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:25:53 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 17:25 UTC

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:50:14 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>I recently bought an illuminated keyboard (light _through_ keys, not
>just around them).
>
>Sometimes it works fine; sometimes, however, it sits there, with the
>laptop emitting the "USB device unplugged" sound, at a regular interval
>(somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds, I'd say). If I watch carefully, its
>lights flash briefly at around that point (you can turn its lights off

I have 2 and they seem OK. Are you saying it also fails on a powered
hub? That should give you plenty of power. On my machines (IBM and an
Intel) I get a message if the USB port is overloaded and the whole
port adapter shuts down. I have had disk drives do it.
You may just have a bad keyboard. Mine are Logitech

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<iq1johF7jepU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2373&group=alt.windows7.general#2373

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:42:41 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 17:42 UTC

On 2021-09-10 12:25 p.m., gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:50:14 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> I recently bought an illuminated keyboard (light _through_ keys, not
>> just around them).
>>
>> Sometimes it works fine; sometimes, however, it sits there, with the
>> laptop emitting the "USB device unplugged" sound, at a regular interval
>> (somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds, I'd say). If I watch carefully, its
>> lights flash briefly at around that point (you can turn its lights off
>
> I have 2 and they seem OK. Are you saying it also fails on a powered
> hub? That should give you plenty of power. On my machines (IBM and an
> Intel) I get a message if the USB port is overloaded and the whole
> port adapter shuts down. I have had disk drives do it.
> You may just have a bad keyboard. Mine are Logitech

Logitech are quality products, What John bought is a very inexpensive no
brand no spec device on E-Bay, consequently don't expect high Quality
results.
I have 2 Redragon lighted keyboards which run and look beatiful, But I
also paid $90.00 each for them.

Rene

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<sSprPMq455OhFw7l@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=alt.windows7.general#2374

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 19:05:44 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:05 UTC

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:42:41, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On 2021-09-10 12:25 p.m., gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
[]
>> You may just have a bad keyboard. Mine are Logitech
>
>Logitech are quality products, What John bought is a very inexpensive
>no brand no spec device on E-Bay, consequently don't expect high
>Quality results.

Indeed; it was just an impulse buy. I was actually surprised at the
quality of the _mechanics_ for what I paid; I'd have expected those
alone to cost more than that. Unfortunately it has the problems already
described (wrong layout, and possibly current overload).

>I have 2 Redragon lighted keyboards which run and look beatiful, But I
>also paid $90.00 each for them.

Ouch!

>Rene

John

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<iq1ljoF7tndU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2375&group=alt.windows7.general#2375

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:14:16 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:14 UTC

On 2021-09-10 1:05 p.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:42:41, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> On 2021-09-10 12:25 p.m., gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> []
>>> You may just have a bad keyboard. Mine are Logitech
>>
>> Logitech are quality products, What John bought is a very inexpensive
>> no brand  no spec device on E-Bay, consequently don't expect high
>> Quality results.
>
> Indeed; it was just an impulse buy. I was actually surprised at the
> quality of the _mechanics_ for what I paid; I'd have expected those
> alone to cost more than that. Unfortunately it has the problems already
> described (wrong layout, and possibly current overload).
>
>> I have 2 Redragon  lighted keyboards which run and look beatiful, But
>> I also paid $90.00 each for them.
>
> Ouch!
>>
>> Rene
>>

> John

Yes, they are rather expensive ,yet still cheaper than many other brands
but these are gaming keyboards with the Cherry mechanical switches
which are replaceable in a moment, so I expect a long and useful life
from them.

Rene

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<iq1mqoF86cbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2377&group=alt.windows7.general#2377

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:35:05 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:35 UTC

On 2021-09-10 1:14 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-09-10 1:05 p.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:42:41, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>> On 2021-09-10 12:25 p.m., gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> []
>>>
>>> Logitech are quality products, What John bought is a very inexpensive
>>> no brand  no spec device on E-Bay, consequently don't expect high
>>> Quality results.
>>
>> Indeed; it was just an impulse buy. I was actually surprised at the
>> quality of the _mechanics_ for what I paid; I'd have expected those
>> alone to cost more than that. Unfortunately it has the problems
>> already described (wrong layout, and possibly current overload).
>>
>>> I have 2 Redragon  lighted keyboards which run and look beatiful, But
>>> I also paid $90.00 each for them.
>>
>> Ouch!
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>> John
>
> Yes, they are rather expensive ,yet still cheaper than many other brands
>  but these are gaming keyboards with the Cherry mechanical switches
> which are replaceable in a moment, so I expect a long and useful life
> from them.
>
> Rene

Just for fun I just checked Amazon.ca for the current price of my
Redragon K555 illuminated keyboards, The price has dropped to $74.99, I
bought mine about 18 months ago.

Rene

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<$3f$mBvi59OhFw6I@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2378&group=alt.windows7.general#2378

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:38:26 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 22:38 UTC

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:14:29, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>You didn't tell us the brand or model, Also if you had one of these/or

The make appears to be KUIYN or KUIVN -logo is a skull. According to
the very tiny print on the back label:

Model Number: T6
Operating Current: 5V (!)
Company Name: Shenzhen Junxingcheng Electronic Co. Ltd.

so your guess is as good as mine! As I've already said, the individual
keyswitches appear to be of good quality.

>similar you could determine USB current and voltage and eliminate one
>factor, I use mine quite often to check USB device behavior.
>
>https://www.amazon.ca/USB-Meter-Tester-Voltage-Current-Battery-Power-
>Multimeter-Tester-Resistance/dp/B07D36ZW7Q/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords
>=usb+meter&qid=1631291459&sr=8-9
>
>Rene

Nice toy! But at $27.92 (plus $13.50 delivery), a bit of a lot! (Same
model 48.41 pounds [post free] here.) [But I can find something similar
for 3 to 6 pounds - or less from China.]

You make it from scratch?
Yep.
Do you make your own scratch?
--
"pyotr filipivich" in alt.windows7.general 2017-5-20

Re: USB overload? (And illuminated keyboards)

<iq29htFbk42U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2380&group=alt.windows7.general#2380

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:54:36 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:54 UTC

On 2021-09-10 5:38 p.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 12:14:29, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>> You didn't tell us the brand or model, Also if you had one of these/or
>
> The make appears to be KUIYN or KUIVN -logo is a skull. According to
> the very tiny print on the back label:
>
> Model Number: T6
> Operating Current: 5V (!)
> Company Name: Shenzhen Junxingcheng Electronic Co. Ltd.
>
> so your guess is as good as mine! As I've already said, the individual
> keyswitches appear to be of good quality.
>
>> similar you could determine USB current and voltage and eliminate one
>> factor, I use mine quite often to check USB device behavior.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.ca/USB-Meter-Tester-Voltage-Current-Battery-Power-
>> Multimeter-Tester-Resistance/dp/B07D36ZW7Q/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords
>> =usb+meter&qid=1631291459&sr=8-9
>>
>> Rene
>>
> Nice toy! But at $27.92 (plus $13.50 delivery), a bit of a lot! (Same
> model 48.41 pounds [post free] here.) [But I can find something similar
> for 3 to 6 pounds - or less from China.]

I see some as low as $10 on amazon so lots to pick from. I chose this
one for quality and functions. It also has Bluetooth and broadcasts to
my PC with an onscreen display, when it comes to electrical and
electronic measuring devices, I tend to go for the better quality models.

Rene