"Nuclear war would really set back cable." -- Ted Turner

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova"

SubjectAuthor
* *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova"John C.
`* *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDJohn C.
 `* *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDStan Brown
  `* *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDJohn C.
   +- *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDJohn C.
   +- *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDStan Brown
   `* *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDFrank Miller
    +- *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDStan Brown
    `* *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDJohn C.
     `- *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARDPaul

1
*GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova"

<ulutn0$ja56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2375&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2375

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova"
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 06:28:44 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:28 UTC

Before I downgraded (and that is indeed how I'm starting to look at this
clusterfuck) to Supernova, I was able to see the sizes of the folders in
the folder pane. Now that ability has been deprecated. Does anybody know
how to restore this capability? It's so vital to me, that if I'm unable
to restore this feature, I will give up on 115 and go back to a
pre-Supernova version of TB.

TIA.
--
John C.

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<ulutsl$jb0n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2376&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2376

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 06:31:45 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:31 UTC

John C. wrote:
> Before I downgraded (and that is indeed how I'm starting to look at this
> clusterfuck) to Supernova, I was able to see the sizes of the folders in
> the folder pane. Now that ability has been deprecated. Does anybody know
> how to restore this capability? It's so vital to me, that if I'm unable
> to restore this feature, I will give up on 115 and go back to a
> pre-Supernova version of TB.
>
> TIA.

Nevermind, I found out how to do this:

1. Click on the three dots in the folder pane toolbar
2. Show folder size

Not sure how I could have missed that one. Actually it was very easy to
find once the caffeine kicked in.

--
John C.

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<MPG.3fed17ae1d9e9949990251@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2392&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2392

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:25:06 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:25 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 06:31:45 -0800, John C. wrote:
> John C. wrote:
> > Before I downgraded (and that is indeed how I'm starting to look at this
> > clusterfuck) to Supernova, I was able to see the sizes of the folders in
> > the folder pane. Now that ability has been deprecated. Does anybody know
> > how to restore this capability?

> Nevermind, I found out how to do this:
>
> 1. Click on the three dots in the folder pane toolbar
> 2. Show folder size

Thanks for posting! I never heard of this before, but I tried it and
it works just as you said. I need to purge outdated messages before I
approach my storage quota, and this will help me to concentrate on
the low-hanging fruit, i.e. the larger folders.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<um01h5$p0d0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2394&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2394

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:40:01 -0800
 by: John C. - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:40 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>> Before I downgraded (and that is indeed how I'm starting to look at this
>>> clusterfuck) to Supernova, I was able to see the sizes of the folders in
>>> the folder pane. Now that ability has been deprecated. Does anybody know
>>> how to restore this capability?
>
>> Nevermind, I found out how to do this:
>>
>> 1. Click on the three dots in the folder pane toolbar
>> 2. Show folder size
>
> Thanks for posting! I never heard of this before, but I tried it and
> it works just as you said. I need to purge outdated messages before I
> approach my storage quota, and this will help me to concentrate on
> the low-hanging fruit, i.e. the larger folders.

YW. And your reason for liking folder sizes showing is the same one I
have. However, instead of purging older messages, I use the
ImportExportTools NG extension:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/

to export them all to .eml files. I even manually arrange them into the
same archive subfolder structure I use in TB. Then I compress the entire
thing into a date-range-named .zip file and store that elsewhere on
another hard drive.

You'd be surprised how often having old emails comes in handy.

--
John C.

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<um07aa$ps1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2397&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2397

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:18:46 -0800
 by: John C. - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 02:18 UTC

John C. wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> Nevermind, I found out how to do this:
>>>
>>> 1. Click on the three dots in the folder pane toolbar
>>> 2. Show folder size
>>
>> Thanks for posting! I never heard of this before, but I tried it and
>> it works just as you said. I need to purge outdated messages before I
>> approach my storage quota, and this will help me to concentrate on
>> the low-hanging fruit, i.e. the larger folders.
>
> YW. And your reason for liking folder sizes showing is the same one I
> have. However, instead of purging older messages, I use the
> ImportExportTools NG extension:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/
>
> to export them all to .eml files. I even manually arrange them into the
> same archive subfolder structure I use in TB. Then I compress the entire
> thing into a date-range-named .zip file and store that elsewhere on
> another hard drive.
>
> You'd be surprised how often having old emails comes in handy.

Unfortunately though, I just noticed that when I collapse the Archives
folder, there isn't any total size provided for it as there was in the
earlier version of TB I was using. I can manually add the subfolder
sizes, but what an unnecessary PITA.

--
John C.

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<MPG.3fee475458cc3cf990253@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2415&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2415

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:00:43 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:00 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:40:01 -0800, John C. wrote:
> YW. And your reason for liking folder sizes showing is the same one I
> have. However, instead of purging older messages, I use the
> ImportExportTools NG extension:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/
>
> to export them all to .eml files.

I don't purge an old message just because it's old. I evaluate
whether I need to keep each one, and if I do I save it to a file
before deleting. This requires looking at each message and making a
decision, and that's why I keep putting of the job.

When I displayed folder size, I found that two folders totaled more
storage than all the rest combined, so those two are where I'll
start.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<6584CBDC.9000000@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2418&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2418

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:35:56 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:35 UTC

John C. wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
[..snip..]
>> Thanks for posting! I never heard of this before, but I tried it and
>> it works just as you said. I need to purge outdated messages before I
>> approach my storage quota, and this will help me to concentrate on
>> the low-hanging fruit, i.e. the larger folders.
>
> YW. And your reason for liking folder sizes showing is the same one I
> have. However, instead of purging older messages, I use the
> ImportExportTools NG extension:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/
>
> to export them all to .eml files.

Why don't you just move them to the Local Folders in Thunderbird?
So you have them at hand everytime you want.

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<MPG.3fef652c9f53ad7f99025a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2420&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2420

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:20:14 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:20 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:35:56 +0100, Frank Miller wrote:
> Why don't you just move them to the Local Folders in Thunderbird?
> So you have them at hand everytime you want.

Because I regularly do mail from laptop and desktop. If I copied
them, then when I delete a local from one computer I'd have to
remember to delete it from the other one also.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<um717f$24eub$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2427&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2427

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:17:45 -0800
 by: John C. - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:17 UTC

Frank Miller wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> Stan Brown wrote:
>>> John C. wrote:
> [..snip..]
>>> Thanks for posting! I never heard of this before, but I tried it and
>>> it works just as you said. I need to purge outdated messages before I
>>> approach my storage quota, and this will help me to concentrate on
>>> the low-hanging fruit, i.e. the larger folders.
>>
>> YW. And your reason for liking folder sizes showing is the same one I
>> have. However, instead of purging older messages, I use the
>> ImportExportTools NG extension:
>>
>> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/
>>
>> to export them all to .eml files.
>
> Why don't you just move them to the Local Folders in Thunderbird?

I don't like, use, and hide, local folders.

> So you have them at hand everytime you want.

IME, allowing email to build up eventually leads to program instability
after a certain point. That's why I periodically export it from my
profile and archive it as .eml files compressed into a .zip file.

--
John C.

Re: *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova" PLEASE DISREGARD

<um8dlq$2evoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2428&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2428

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 23:56:26 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 04:56 UTC

On 12/23/2023 11:17 AM, John C. wrote:
> Frank Miller wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>> [..snip..]
>>>
>>> YW. And your reason for liking folder sizes showing is the same one I
>>> have. However, instead of purging older messages, I use the
>>> ImportExportTools NG extension:
>>>
>>> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/
>>>
>>> to export them all to .eml files.
>>
>> Why don't you just move them to the Local Folders in Thunderbird?
>
> I don't like, use, and hide, local folders.
>
>> So you have them at hand everytime you want.
>
> IME, allowing email to build up eventually leads to program instability
> after a certain point. That's why I periodically export it from my
> profile and archive it as .eml files compressed into a .zip file.

There's an article for limits.

https://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird

With a 64-bit version of Thunderbird, you can make
better usage of the RAM on the computer. That allows you
to work with bigger collections.

Many times, practical limits come from the operating system.
Wikipedia would tell you, that NTFS can handle 4 billion files.
Well, actually, it can't. It would be too slow to finish for
one thing.

Writing those limit articles, isn't exactly easy, because
you have to be prepared to make a retraction and set a lower
limit, after people in the audience present cases where
it can't actually do what you said it could do. Apple released
a couple Tech Notes in the past, about file system limits, where
three months later, they re-released the note with somewhat lower
limits. This is just the nature of the beast. "Writing a limit article",
is just asking for trouble.

I suspect there are some 32-bit numbers involved in the Mork format,
and that may present some limitations eventually.

Normally, this is not an issue, when an email engine can only process
two of your messages per second. Building an extremely large folder
as a test case, that takes forever to do. Whereas people who have 50GB
email collections, they've done that over a period of 30 years, and
that's not something you can test in an hour or two on a PC.

Paul

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / *GROAN* Yet ANOTHER problem with "Supernova"