computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Need a theme which will do certain things

SubjectAuthor
* Need a theme which will do certain thingsJohn C.
+- Need a theme which will do certain thingsJohn C.
`* Need a theme which will do certain thingsknuttle
 `* Need a theme which will do certain thingsJohn C.
  `* Need a theme which will do certain thingsBig Al
   +* Need a theme which will do certain thingsDave Royal
   |`- Need a theme which will do certain thingsBig Al
   `* Need a theme which will do certain thingsJohn C.
    +- Need a theme which will do certain thingsNobody
    `- Need a theme which will do certain thingsBig Al

1
Need a theme which will do certain things

<uluqri$iqgq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2371&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2371

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Need a theme which will do certain things
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 05:39:58 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:39 UTC

I suffer from overly sensitive eyes and whenever a window contains an
area of pure white, it's very painful to me. I'm currently using the
"Nu-grey" theme:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-uS/thunderbird/addon/nu-grey-theme/

which is very close to what I'm looking for, but the text in the folder
pane is too faint and the message list pane is a blinding white.

I'm hoping somebody here can point out another TB theme which can do the
following:
1. no images superimposed (cats, eyes, flowers etc. EUGGHHHH!)
2. darkens *all* panes in the program window, even white font on black
or dark gray backgrounds would be acceptable
3. darkens the composition window, but *doesn't* result in it being
white text on black or dark gray background. IOW, black (*not* gray)
text on a medium gray background.

Does anybody know of such a theme?

TIA

--
John C.

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<ulurgu$iqgq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2372&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2372

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Need a theme which will do certain things
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 05:51:23 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:51 UTC

John C. wrote:
> I suffer from overly sensitive eyes and whenever a window contains an
> area of pure white, it's very painful to me. I'm currently using the
> "Nu-grey" theme:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-uS/thunderbird/addon/nu-grey-theme/
>
> which is very close to what I'm looking for, but the text in the folder
> pane is too faint and the message list pane is a blinding white.
>
> I'm hoping somebody here can point out another TB theme which can do the
> following:
> 1. no images superimposed (cats, eyes, flowers etc. EUGGHHHH!)
> 2. darkens *all* panes in the program window, even white font on black
> or dark gray backgrounds would be acceptable
> 3. darkens the composition window, but *doesn't* result in it being
> white text on black or dark gray background. IOW, black (*not* gray)
> text on a medium gray background.
>
> Does anybody know of such a theme?
>
> TIA

PS What I'm asking for is what it looked like before I updated to
Supernova. Supernova has been a real frustration for me, didn't actually
improve anything for me and really, it made things much worse.

--
John C.

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<ulusc0$j1fj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2373&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2373

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:05:53 -0500
 by: knuttle - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:05 UTC

On 12/20/2023 8:39 AM, John C. wrote:
> I suffer from overly sensitive eyes and whenever a window contains an
> area of pure white, it's very painful to me. I'm currently using the
> "Nu-grey" theme:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-uS/thunderbird/addon/nu-grey-theme/
>
> which is very close to what I'm looking for, but the text in the folder
> pane is too faint and the message list pane is a blinding white.
>
> I'm hoping somebody here can point out another TB theme which can do the
> following:
> 1. no images superimposed (cats, eyes, flowers etc. EUGGHHHH!)
> 2. darkens *all* panes in the program window, even white font on black
> or dark gray backgrounds would be acceptable
> 3. darkens the composition window, but *doesn't* result in it being
> white text on black or dark gray background. IOW, black (*not* gray)
> text on a medium gray background.
>
> Does anybody know of such a theme?
>
> TIA

This is not what you asked for but I think it will do what you want.

I have found that it is much easier on the eyes, to adjust the screen
brightness. If Settings, System, Display: You can adjust the screen
brightness using the slider at the top of the window. I have my set at
about 30, and find it much easier on the eyes that the default setting.

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<ulusrj$j66a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2374

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 06:14:07 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:14 UTC

knuttle wrote:
> On 12/20/2023 8:39 AM, John C. wrote:
>> I suffer from overly sensitive eyes and whenever a window contains an
>> area of pure white, it's very painful to me. I'm currently using the
>> "Nu-grey" theme:
>>
>> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-uS/thunderbird/addon/nu-grey-theme/
>>
>> which is very close to what I'm looking for, but the text in the folder
>> pane is too faint and the message list pane is a blinding white.
>>
>> I'm hoping somebody here can point out another TB theme which can do the
>> following:
>> 1. no images superimposed (cats, eyes, flowers etc. EUGGHHHH!)
>> 2. darkens *all* panes in the program window, even white font on black
>> or dark gray backgrounds would be acceptable
>> 3. darkens the composition window, but *doesn't* result in it being
>> white text on black or dark gray background. IOW, black (*not* gray)
>> text on a medium gray background.
>>
>> Does anybody know of such a theme?
>>
>> TIA
>>
> This is  not what you asked for but I think it will do what you want.
>
> I have found that it is much easier on the eyes, to adjust the screen
> brightness.   If Settings, System, Display:  You can adjust the screen
> brightness using the slider at the top of the window.   I have my set at
> about 30, and find it much easier on the eyes that the default setting.

Thanks for replying, but I've already done that and the problem still
remains.

--
John C.

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<ulv4il$keu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2377&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2377

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:25:57 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:25 UTC

On 12/20/23 09:14 AM, John C. wrote:
> knuttle wrote:
>> On 12/20/2023 8:39 AM, John C. wrote:
>>> I suffer from overly sensitive eyes and whenever a window contains an
>>> area of pure white, it's very painful to me. I'm currently using the
>>> "Nu-grey" theme:
>>>
>>> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-uS/thunderbird/addon/nu-grey-theme/
>>>
>>> which is very close to what I'm looking for, but the text in the folder
>>> pane is too faint and the message list pane is a blinding white.
>>>
>>> I'm hoping somebody here can point out another TB theme which can do the
>>> following:
>>> 1. no images superimposed (cats, eyes, flowers etc. EUGGHHHH!)
>>> 2. darkens *all* panes in the program window, even white font on black
>>> or dark gray backgrounds would be acceptable
>>> 3. darkens the composition window, but *doesn't* result in it being
>>> white text on black or dark gray background. IOW, black (*not* gray)
>>> text on a medium gray background.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know of such a theme?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>> This is  not what you asked for but I think it will do what you want.
>>
>> I have found that it is much easier on the eyes, to adjust the screen
>> brightness.   If Settings, System, Display:  You can adjust the screen
>> brightness using the slider at the top of the window.   I have my set at
>> about 30, and find it much easier on the eyes that the default setting.
>
> Thanks for replying, but I've already done that and the problem still
> remains.

You can go into settings -> composition -> HTML style and change the colors there.
However it only works on html composed messages. If you are writing (like now) to newsgroups, it won't kick in.

The other option, since this is close, is to make the few adjustments in a userChrome.css file.

/* darken the thread pane */
#threadPane > tree-view {
background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
} [is="tree-view-table-body"] {
background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
}

These two line alone, with the settings change, should darken some of the writing and viewing emails.
Other things like Cardbook, Addressbook, Settings would also have to be adjusted. But in the long run, it's possible yes.

PS. The #AAAAAA is the color of the background and is a bit of a dark gray. #BBBBBB would be lighter and #999999 would
be darker even still. You could adjust it, there are a ton of color picker and color code generators around if you
don't know what to use. I don't know you expertise.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<ulvalf$lfgs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2380&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2380

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:09:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Royal - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:09 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:25:57 -0500, Big Al wrote:

> On 12/20/23 09:14 AM, John C. wrote:
>> knuttle wrote:

>>> This is  not what you asked for but I think it will do what you want.
>>>
>>> I have found that it is much easier on the eyes, to adjust the screen
>>> brightness.   If Settings, System, Display:  You can adjust the screen
>>> brightness using the slider at the top of the window.   I have my set
>>> at about 30, and find it much easier on the eyes that the default
>>> setting.
>>
>> Thanks for replying, but I've already done that and the problem still
>> remains.
>>
> You can go into settings -> composition -> HTML style and change the
> colors there.
> However it only works on html composed messages. If you are writing
> (like now) to newsgroups, it won't kick in.
>
> The other option, since this is close, is to make the few adjustments in
> a userChrome.css file.
>
> /* darken the thread pane */
> #threadPane > tree-view {
> background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
> }
> [is="tree-view-table-body"] {
> background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
> }
>
> These two line alone, with the settings change, should darken some of
> the writing and viewing emails.
> Other things like Cardbook, Addressbook, Settings would also have to be
> adjusted. But in the long run, it's possible yes.
>
> PS. The #AAAAAA is the color of the background and is a bit of a dark
> gray. #BBBBBB would be lighter and #999999 would be darker even still.
> You could adjust it, there are a ton of color picker and color code
> generators around if you don't know what to use. I don't know you
> expertise.

I had a quick poke about in the developer toolbox and came up with this:

* {background-color: #DDD ! important;
color: black ! important;}

Set settings, general, fonts & colours, colours, background to grey too

Doesn't do the address book and probably other panels.

(I didn't try your code, Al.)
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<ulvf7u$m8sr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2386&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2386

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:27:58 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 19:27 UTC

On 12/20/23 01:09 PM, Dave Royal wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:25:57 -0500, Big Al wrote:

>>> Thanks for replying, but I've already done that and the problem still
>>> remains.
>>>
>> You can go into settings -> composition -> HTML style and change the
>> colors there.
>> However it only works on html composed messages. If you are writing
>> (like now) to newsgroups, it won't kick in.
>>
>> The other option, since this is close, is to make the few adjustments in
>> a userChrome.css file.
>>
>> /* darken the thread pane */
>> #threadPane > tree-view {
>> background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
>> }
>> [is="tree-view-table-body"] {
>> background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
>> }
>>
>> These two line alone, with the settings change, should darken some of
>> the writing and viewing emails.
>> Other things like Cardbook, Addressbook, Settings would also have to be
>> adjusted. But in the long run, it's possible yes.
>>
>> PS. The #AAAAAA is the color of the background and is a bit of a dark
>> gray. #BBBBBB would be lighter and #999999 would be darker even still.
>> You could adjust it, there are a ton of color picker and color code
>> generators around if you don't know what to use. I don't know you
>> expertise.
>
> I had a quick poke about in the developer toolbox and came up with this:
>
> * {background-color: #DDD ! important;
> color: black ! important;}
>
> Set settings, general, fonts & colours, colours, background to grey too
>
> Doesn't do the address book and probably other panels.
>
> (I didn't try your code, Al.)
Probably the same thing. Your change being global might cover a bit more items.
If I wanted gray, I like that gray theme the OP posted. I'd fall asleep though.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<um0162$p0d0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2393&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2393

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:34:07 -0800
 by: John C. - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 00:34 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> knuttle wrote:

>> (snip)
>>
> You can go into settings -> composition -> HTML style and change the
> colors there.
> However it only works on html composed messages. If you are writing
> (like now) to newsgroups, it won't kick in.
>
> The other option, since this is close, is to make the few adjustments in
> a userChrome.css file.
>
> /* darken the thread pane */
> #threadPane > tree-view {
>     background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
> }
> [is="tree-view-table-body"] {
>     background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
> }
>
> These two line alone, with the settings change, should darken some of
> the writing and viewing emails.
> Other things like Cardbook, Addressbook, Settings would also have to be
> adjusted.  But in the long run, it's possible yes.
>
> PS. The #AAAAAA is the color of the background and is a bit of a dark
> gray. #BBBBBB would be lighter and #999999 would be darker even still.
> You could adjust it, there are a ton of color picker and color code
> generators around if you don't know what to use. I don't know you
> expertise.

Thanks for replying, Big Al. However, I'm not a programmer and this is
getting too close to needing to be one. Not only that, but you can never
trust Mozilla to respect anything done via userChrome.css when the next
Firefox or Thunderbird update comes around.

As time goes by unfortunately, feature deprecation continues on for some
inexplicable reason. Configurability increasingly is victim to this process.

--
John C.

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<3c67oi9chvm8jn3ru5jsrtl2q1u4h4slvt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2396&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2396

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:55:26 -0800
 by: Nobody - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 01:55 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:34:07 -0800, "John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Big Al wrote:
>> John C. wrote:

>>> (snip)
>>>
>> You can go into settings -> composition -> HTML style and change the
>> colors there.
>> However it only works on html composed messages. If you are writing
>> (like now) to newsgroups, it won't kick in.
>>
>> The other option, since this is close, is to make the few adjustments in
>> a userChrome.css file.
>>
>> /* darken the thread pane */
>> #threadPane > tree-view {
>>     background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
>> }
>> [is="tree-view-table-body"] {
>>     background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
>> }
>>
>> These two line alone, with the settings change, should darken some of
>> the writing and viewing emails.
>> Other things like Cardbook, Addressbook, Settings would also have to be
>> adjusted.  But in the long run, it's possible yes.
>>
>> PS. The #AAAAAA is the color of the background and is a bit of a dark
>> gray. #BBBBBB would be lighter and #999999 would be darker even still.
>> You could adjust it, there are a ton of color picker and color code
>> generators around if you don't know what to use. I don't know you
>> expertise.

>As time goes by unfortunately, feature deprecation continues on for some
>inexplicable reason. Configurability increasingly is victim to this process.

Yikes.

Mebbe ask developers for a download option: please construct a version
that performs to all the nits and grits of my bits and dits which fit
and sit as I do wit.

Presuming you've *saved* the profile which worked as wished with a
previous version, and revert?

Re: Need a theme which will do certain things

<um1dj5$131m0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2407&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2407

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 08:12:05 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:12 UTC

On 12/20/23 07:34 PM, John C. wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> John C. wrote:

>>> (snip)
>>>
>> You can go into settings -> composition -> HTML style and change the
>> colors there.
>> However it only works on html composed messages. If you are writing
>> (like now) to newsgroups, it won't kick in.
>>
>> The other option, since this is close, is to make the few adjustments in
>> a userChrome.css file.
>>
>> /* darken the thread pane */
>> #threadPane > tree-view {
>>     background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
>> }
>> [is="tree-view-table-body"] {
>>     background-color: #AAAAAA !important;
>> }
>>
>> These two line alone, with the settings change, should darken some of
>> the writing and viewing emails.
>> Other things like Cardbook, Addressbook, Settings would also have to be
>> adjusted.  But in the long run, it's possible yes.
>>
>> PS. The #AAAAAA is the color of the background and is a bit of a dark
>> gray. #BBBBBB would be lighter and #999999 would be darker even still.
>> You could adjust it, there are a ton of color picker and color code
>> generators around if you don't know what to use. I don't know you
>> expertise.
>
> Thanks for replying, Big Al. However, I'm not a programmer and this is
> getting too close to needing to be one. Not only that, but you can never
> trust Mozilla to respect anything done via userChrome.css when the next
> Firefox or Thunderbird update comes around.
>
> As time goes by unfortunately, feature deprecation continues on for some
> inexplicable reason. Configurability increasingly is victim to this process.

You are so right. I had a good setup on 102, and granted I could reuse 80% of it, I still had a job on my hands with
115. I was a programmer so this is fun in retirement, but I've also been looking at anything that I can drop to
simplify the css.

I'm on Linux and have recently just started playing with Evolution that has no add-ons, that I know of yet, and it look
and works so much like Thunderbird. I'm somewhat afraid to say it but might just use it one day, it probably won't
shift that much as Linux programmers I don't think are as wild as MS.

Still Glad the OP got some help and everyone else via osmosis.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Need a theme which will do certain things