Though I'll admit readability suffers slightly... -- Larry Wall in <2969@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

SubjectAuthor
* Way to combine commands in Firefox?John C.
+* Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?R.Wieser
|`- Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?John C.
+* Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?Andy Burns
|`- Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?John C.
`* Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?VanguardLH
 `* Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?John C.
  `* Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?VanguardLH
   `- Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?VanguardLH

1
Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<up07l0$2qiip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2336&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2336

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Way to combine commands in Firefox?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 04:13:18 -0800
 by: John C. - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:13 UTC

I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox. It would be
nice if there was some way to run them all with one click or a shortcut
keystroke.

I've checked out the old standby freeware program, Batchrun, but their
website's server is unreachable. Besides, AFAICT the program ceased
development after Aug 31, 2017. I have a backup setup file, but Batchrun
can only be set up to launch multiple applications or Windows commands.

This old page:

https://www.howtogeek.com/113789/how-to-automate-repetitive-web-browser-tasks-with-imacros/

says that:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imacros-for-chrome/

is supposed to work, but there's no info on the page about it *and*
almost all of the reviews have no text so they might be bogus.

Then I tried the advice at this page:

https://superuser.com/questions/1772053/does-mozilla-firefox-have-a-command-palette

but it didn't work. Instead of opening Quick Actions, DuckDuckGo did a
search for ">", which was of no use to me.

Does anybody know of a way to do what I'm asking (see the second
sentence at the top of this message)?

TIA.

--
John C.

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<up09g5$2quk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2337&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2337

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:44:31 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:44 UTC

John,

>I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox.

Like what / how ?

Maybe you should be looking for a kind of
mouseclick-and-keystroke-recording-and-replaying program (like perhaps
AutoIt).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<l1hpe5Fiap7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2338&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2338

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:12:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:12 UTC

John C. wrote:

> I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox. It would be
> nice if there was some way to run them all with one click or a shortcut
> keystroke.
Use something general like AutoIt to do the automation, rather than
using something specific to Firefox?

<https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit>

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<1kvnyvmf371p6$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2340&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2340

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:39:18 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:39 UTC

"John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox. It would be
> nice if there was some way to run them all with one click or a shortcut
> keystroke.

AutoIt
AutoHotkey

If those series of repetitive "commands" are to open multiple bookmarks,
you can store many bookmark shortcut within a bookmark folder, then
double-click the bookmark folder to open all bookmarks therein. This
works only at a first level: bookmarks in the folder all get opened when
you double-click on the folder. Any subfolders are not traversed to
open bookmarks under there.

I group my bookmarks by category, so they go into folders. I can
double-click on any of those folders to open all bookmarks therein.
This works in the bookmarks list. In the bookmarks pane, you cannot
double-click on a folder, but you can right-click and select "Open all
bookmarks" from the context menu.

What are these "commands" you want to automate? Objects you click on
inside of Firefox's window, or elements or hyperlinks inside of web docs
rendered inside of Firefox? AutoIt or AutoHotkey can do in Firefox
whatever you can do.

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<up1atg$31rs0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2345&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2345

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:07 -0800
 by: John C. - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:15 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:
> John,
>>
>> I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox.
>
> Like what / how ?

Egs.:

Home page button
History/Clear Recent History/Clear Now

and some stuff with an extension named "Cookie Quick Manager".

> Maybe you should be looking for a kind of
> mouseclick-and-keystroke-recording-and-replaying program (like perhaps
> AutoIt).

Thanks, Rudy. I'll check it out.

--
John C.

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<up1aum$31rs0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2346&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2346

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:15:47 -0800

Andy Burns wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>>
>> I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox. It would be
>> nice if there was some way to run them all with one click or a shortcut
>> keystroke.
>
> Use something general like AutoIt to do the automation, rather than
> using something specific to Firefox?
>
> <https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit>

Thanks, Andy. I'll check it out.

--
John C.

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<up1b1g$31rs0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2347&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2347

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:17:17 -0800
 by: John C. - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:17 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox. It would be
>> nice if there was some way to run them all with one click or a shortcut
>> keystroke.
>
> AutoIt
> AutoHotkey
>
> If those series of repetitive "commands" are to open multiple bookmarks,
> you can store many bookmark shortcut within a bookmark folder, then
> double-click the bookmark folder to open all bookmarks therein. This
> works only at a first level: bookmarks in the folder all get opened when
> you double-click on the folder. Any subfolders are not traversed to
> open bookmarks under there.
>
> I group my bookmarks by category, so they go into folders. I can
> double-click on any of those folders to open all bookmarks therein.
> This works in the bookmarks list. In the bookmarks pane, you cannot
> double-click on a folder, but you can right-click and select "Open all
> bookmarks" from the context menu.
>
> What are these "commands" you want to automate? Objects you click on
> inside of Firefox's window, or elements or hyperlinks inside of web docs
> rendered inside of Firefox? AutoIt or AutoHotkey can do in Firefox
> whatever you can do.

Thanks, VanguardLH. I'll check them both out.

--
John C.

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<18h1xptzif5m$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2352&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2352

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:25:51 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:25 UTC

"John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> I do a repetitive series of commands frequently in Firefox. It would be
>>> nice if there was some way to run them all with one click or a shortcut
>>> keystroke.
>>
>> AutoIt
>> AutoHotkey
>>
>> If those series of repetitive "commands" are to open multiple bookmarks,
>> you can store many bookmark shortcut within a bookmark folder, then
>> double-click the bookmark folder to open all bookmarks therein. This
>> works only at a first level: bookmarks in the folder all get opened when
>> you double-click on the folder. Any subfolders are not traversed to
>> open bookmarks under there.
>>
>> I group my bookmarks by category, so they go into folders. I can
>> double-click on any of those folders to open all bookmarks therein.
>> This works in the bookmarks list. In the bookmarks pane, you cannot
>> double-click on a folder, but you can right-click and select "Open all
>> bookmarks" from the context menu.
>>
>> What are these "commands" you want to automate? Objects you click on
>> inside of Firefox's window, or elements or hyperlinks inside of web docs
>> rendered inside of Firefox? AutoIt or AutoHotkey can do in Firefox
>> whatever you can do.
>
> Thanks, VanguardLH. I'll check them both out.

Both have web forums to ask for help.

https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/

They can be daunting to figure out. While they have the record mode to
create macros of your keypresses and mouse clicks, they also let you
write scripts to do a hell of a lot more.

Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?

<1lsofh16jc5de.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2353&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2353

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:32:22 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:32 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> "John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> AutoIt
>>> AutoHotkey
>>>
>>> If those series of repetitive "commands" are to open multiple bookmarks,
>>> you can store many bookmark shortcut within a bookmark folder, then
>>> double-click the bookmark folder to open all bookmarks therein. This
>>> works only at a first level: bookmarks in the folder all get opened when
>>> you double-click on the folder. Any subfolders are not traversed to
>>> open bookmarks under there.
>>>
>>> I group my bookmarks by category, so they go into folders. I can
>>> double-click on any of those folders to open all bookmarks therein.
>>> This works in the bookmarks list. In the bookmarks pane, you cannot
>>> double-click on a folder, but you can right-click and select "Open all
>>> bookmarks" from the context menu.
>>>
>>> What are these "commands" you want to automate? Objects you click on
>>> inside of Firefox's window, or elements or hyperlinks inside of web docs
>>> rendered inside of Firefox? AutoIt or AutoHotkey can do in Firefox
>>> whatever you can do.
>>
>> Thanks, VanguardLH. I'll check them both out.
>
> Both have web forums to ask for help.
>
> https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/
> https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/
>
> They can be daunting to figure out. While they have the record mode to
> create macros of your keypresses and mouse clicks, they also let you
> write scripts to do a hell of a lot more.

You posted in a Firefox newsgroup, but Firefox is cross-platform.
AutoIt and AutoHotkey are Windows programs. You'll need to ask in a
Linux newsgroup what are equivalents if you're running Firefox on Linux.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Way to combine commands in Firefox?