"Been through Hell? Whaddya bring back for me?" -- A. Brilliant

computers / alt.windows7.general / Win7 Pro Taskbar

SubjectAuthor
* Win7 Pro TaskbarJordee
`* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarVanguardLH
 `* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarJordee
  `* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarPaul
   `* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarJordee
    +* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarStan Brown
    |`* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarVanguardLH
    | `* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarStan Brown
    |  `* Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarVanguardLH
    |   +- Re: Win7 Pro Taskbargfretwell
    |   `- Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarStan Brown
    `- Re: Win7 Pro TaskbarPaul

1
Win7 Pro Taskbar

<sh890m$3og$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2337&group=alt.windows7.general#2337

From: Jordee@Noplace.com (Jordee)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Win7 Pro Taskbar
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 10:54:29 -0700
 by: Jordee - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 17:54 UTC

Is there a fix so that the taskbar will pop up when the mouse is moved
to that area ?
Currently it Explorer or some other app is oveer that area the taskbar
pops up behind the application.
It always been set for Auto Hide.
It is Not Locked.

But now it will not even hide.

What good is that ? ! ? !

Yes, there are apps pinned to the taskbar.

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<luderb3pt94q.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2341&group=alt.windows7.general#2341

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:03:39 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 20:03 UTC

Jordee <Jordee@Noplace.com> wrote:

> Is there a fix so that the taskbar will pop up when the mouse is moved
> to that area ? Currently it Explorer or some other app is oveer that
> area the taskbar pops up behind the application. It always been set
> for Auto Hide. It is Not Locked.
>
> But now it will not even hide.
>
> What good is that ? ! ? !
>
> Yes, there are apps pinned to the taskbar.

Okay, I'm confused. First you say the taskbar will not popup when
hovering the mouse over the placeholder. For the taskbar to popup means
it was hiding before. Then you say the taskbar "will not even hide".
Which is it? It's hidden, and won't popup? Or it's showing, and won't
hide?

It may always before been set to auto-hide. Is it still set that way?

Which applications are open (have a window) when the taskbar won't
behave however you expect? Some programs will account for the size of
the taskbar, and reduce their window size, even when fullscreened. Some
do not, like many games, so they obliterate the taskbar (along with the
rest of the screen).

Are you using 2 monitors?

If an application is configured for always-on-top, it stays on top of
other windows. Never tried that with Windows Explorer, though.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31779/fixing-when-the-windows-taskbar-refuses-to-auto-hide-correctly/

That mentions when an app is flashing its taskbar button. It is an
alert. The flashing should stop after a short time, or you could click
on the flashing button to acknowledge the alert, stop the button from
flashing, and the taskbar should auto-hide again. With auto-hide, and
without the ability of apps to unhide the taskbar, you would never see
their alerts, like when you have new e-mail. Could be an app's fault in
that it is generating an alert that won't shut up which keeps unhidden
the Taskbar. This isn't just for the app's Taskbar button issuing an
alert, but also if the app keeps changing status of its tray icon.

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<sh8qp7$1l9k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2345&group=alt.windows7.general#2345

From: Jordee@Jordee.com (Jordee)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:57:49 -0700
 by: Jordee - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:57 UTC

I don't know. The taskbar does what it wants to when it wants to.
So sometimes it i stuck up and sometime is is struck down. Too
confusing for me.

One monitor. Never had two.

Did not see any flashing when the task bar was up.

Yes some apps walk on top of the taksbar.

Seems to me that a system thing, taskbar, would override ANY application
an show itself no matter what ! But what do I know. Only a simple
frustrated user.

Why doesn't MS debug all this before they put it out. A topic of
another discussion. Too bad the MS programmers are not actual users
otherwise all this crap would be fixed.
MS management say OK good enough then let the user's contend with our
crappy release. Maybe an update later if we get around to it.
Direct quote from some MS guy no doubt.

Is apple any better ? Not that I am going to change jackasses in mid
stream. Tried Linux and found I cannot pronounce Linux correctly. Who
cares !! Linux is to nerdy for me.

Wish there was a good PC mechanic in Orange Co. CA.

VanguardLH wrote:
> Jordee <Jordee@Noplace.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a fix so that the taskbar will pop up when the mouse is moved
>> to that area ? Currently it Explorer or some other app is oveer that
>> area the taskbar pops up behind the application. It always been set
>> for Auto Hide. It is Not Locked.
>>
>> But now it will not even hide.
>>
>> What good is that ? ! ? !
>>
>> Yes, there are apps pinned to the taskbar.
>
> Okay, I'm confused. First you say the taskbar will not popup when
> hovering the mouse over the placeholder. For the taskbar to popup means
> it was hiding before. Then you say the taskbar "will not even hide".
> Which is it? It's hidden, and won't popup? Or it's showing, and won't
> hide?
>
> It may always before been set to auto-hide. Is it still set that way?
>
> Which applications are open (have a window) when the taskbar won't
> behave however you expect? Some programs will account for the size of
> the taskbar, and reduce their window size, even when fullscreened. Some
> do not, like many games, so they obliterate the taskbar (along with the
> rest of the screen).
>
> Are you using 2 monitors?
>
> If an application is configured for always-on-top, it stays on top of
> other windows. Never tried that with Windows Explorer, though.
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31779/fixing-when-the-windows-taskbar-refuses-to-auto-hide-correctly/
>
> That mentions when an app is flashing its taskbar button. It is an
> alert. The flashing should stop after a short time, or you could click
> on the flashing button to acknowledge the alert, stop the button from
> flashing, and the taskbar should auto-hide again. With auto-hide, and
> without the ability of apps to unhide the taskbar, you would never see
> their alerts, like when you have new e-mail. Could be an app's fault in
> that it is generating an alert that won't shut up which keeps unhidden
> the Taskbar. This isn't just for the app's Taskbar button issuing an
> alert, but also if the app keeps changing status of its tray icon.

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<sh9c9m$ec4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2346&group=alt.windows7.general#2346

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 23:56:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 03:56 UTC

Jordee wrote:

> I don't know. The taskbar does what it wants to when it wants to.
> So sometimes it i stuck up and sometime is is struck down. Too
> confusing for me.
>
> One monitor. Never had two.
>
> Did not see any flashing when the task bar was up.
>
> Yes some apps walk on top of the taksbar.
>
> Seems to me that a system thing, taskbar, would override ANY application
> an show itself no matter what ! But what do I know. Only a simple
> frustrated user.
>
> Why doesn't MS debug all this before they put it out. A topic of
> another discussion. Too bad the MS programmers are not actual users
> otherwise all this crap would be fixed.
> MS management say OK good enough then let the user's contend with our
> crappy release. Maybe an update later if we get around to it.
> Direct quote from some MS guy no doubt.
>
> Is apple any better ? Not that I am going to change jackasses in mid
> stream. Tried Linux and found I cannot pronounce Linux correctly. Who
> cares !! Linux is to nerdy for me.
>
> Wish there was a good PC mechanic in Orange Co. CA.

Is the Taskbar locked right now, or unlocked ?

If you were in some Properties dialog, ticking the
"autohide" tick box, there might be a "lock the Taskbar"
box nearby. When you Apply the settings, then the
Autohide should be locked, and locked in the Auto
position so it predictably does its thing. There is
a picture here of the dialog having both Autohide and Lock.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-7/how-to-customize-the-windows-7-taskbar/

When you hold your mouse over the icon of a running
program, the "things" that pop up, are thumbnail views
of the (iconified) windows. The thumbnails are there,
to help you select 1 of N windows under that icon
(like four copies of Notepad would present four thumbnails).
The programs aren't "crawling" up there, it's just
a thumbnail view for your convenience. Even the old
MSEdge had those thumbnails added to the browser tabs
(it looked ridiculous).

If you set the mouse dwell time to a large integer number, then
the thumbnails will never present themselves (until the timer
period is hit).

The Taskbar behaves best, when located along the bottom. Some
of the other positions for the Taskbar, might have small bugs
or limitations. The Taskbar can be a single row high, or it
can be multiple rows high. Once locked, it won't resize on
you, without you manually doing it.

And the Autohide, should be just as reliable as the Apple
Autohide. But unlike the Apple, it has the notion of "Locked",
and it really is best if you lock it. There might be fewer
surprises that way. The reason Microsoft invented locking,
is applications were fooling around with the Taskbar a
little too much. Which is why you keep it locked, to
capitalize on the feature Microsoft added for you.

Paul

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<shd52g$5rp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2349&group=alt.windows7.general#2349

From: Jordee@Jordee.com (Jordee)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:17:59 -0700
 by: Jordee - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:17 UTC

I went to my Win XP Pro laptop and along with those other settings
mentioned here is a setting for keeping the taskbar on top.

Is that available in Win 7 and hidden somewhere ?

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<MPG.3ba3c0a2f10efa5a98fe0c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2351&group=alt.windows7.general#2351

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:57:13 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:57 UTC

On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:17:59 -0700, Jordee wrote:
> I went to my Win XP Pro laptop and along with those other settings
> mentioned here is a setting for keeping the taskbar on top.
>
> Is that available in Win 7 and hidden somewhere ?

Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and clock Properties. Un-
check "auto-hide the taskbar". Already-open windows won't be
affected, but any windows opened after that change will consider
"full screen" to be all the screen area except the taskbar. So the
taskbar won't be on top of anything (which would cover up a strip of
that window), but it will always be visible.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<shd84t$oma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2352&group=alt.windows7.general#2352

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 11:10:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:10 UTC

Jordee wrote:

> I went to my Win XP Pro laptop and along with those other settings
> mentioned here is a setting for keeping the taskbar on top.
>
> Is that available in Win 7 and hidden somewhere ?

Here is a picture.

https://i.postimg.cc/C16BDVD9/taskbar-settings.gif

The location of the taskbar, is set in the same Properties
dialog as the Autohide.

Paul

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<16cuxi5ktu6a.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2353&group=alt.windows7.general#2353

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 12:36:54 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:36 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:17:59 -0700, Jordee wrote:
>> I went to my Win XP Pro laptop and along with those other settings
>> mentioned here is a setting for keeping the taskbar on top.
>>
>> Is that available in Win 7 and hidden somewhere ?
>
> Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and clock Properties. Un-
> check "auto-hide the taskbar". Already-open windows won't be
> affected, but any windows opened after that change will consider
> "full screen" to be all the screen area except the taskbar. So the
> taskbar won't be on top of anything (which would cover up a strip of
> that window), but it will always be visible.

Yet in the OP's very first sentence he asks "Is there a fix so that the
taskbar will pop up when the mouse is moved to that area?" That means
he wants to auto-hide the Taskbar. But then he mentions later "But now
it will not even hide." That's why I asked what behavior he wants.

If he disables auto-hide, the Taskbar will always be present. As best I
can tell from his posts, he thought he had auto-hide enabled, and still
wants the Taskbar to auto-hide (which it does not have focus).

The problem seems to be "some apps" stay on top when he unhides the
Taskbar, so an app's window obliterates part of the Taskbar. He does
mention which apps will not automatically resize themselves when the
Taskbar is unhidden. The app window is already open, he unhides the
Taskbar, and the app window does not resize to shorten its height, so it
covers the Taskbar.

Likely whatever are the unmentioned apps are not reactive to the state
of the Taskbar. I've seen it the other way, too, where part of an app's
window gets obliterated when the Taskbar is unhidden. Can't fix that
with Taskbar settings. The behavior (lack of checking Taskbar state) is
the fault of the app.

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<MPG.3ba585e6afc86b3798fe0d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2379&group=alt.windows7.general#2379

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:11:03 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:11 UTC

On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 12:36:54 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> I've seen it the other way, too, where part of an app's
> window gets obliterated when the Taskbar is unhidden. Can't fix that
> with Taskbar settings. The behavior (lack of checking Taskbar state) is
> the fault of the app.

I don't have any programs that adjust their window size when the
taskbar unhides, so the possibility is news to me. Out of curiosity,
can you mention a couple of the applications that do that?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<198uzcrzk4c4w.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2381&group=alt.windows7.general#2381

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:07:52 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:07 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> I've seen it the other way, too, where part of an app's
>> window gets obliterated when the Taskbar is unhidden. Can't fix that
>> with Taskbar settings. The behavior (lack of checking Taskbar state) is
>> the fault of the app.
>
> I don't have any programs that adjust their window size when the
> taskbar unhides, so the possibility is news to me. Out of curiosity,
> can you mention a couple of the applications that do that?

I phrased that wrong. When the Taskbar is unhidden /by disabling the
auto-hide option/ some apps don't resize themself. For example, even in
my ancient Dialog NNTP client (dev stopped back in 2002), it's window
can get partially oblitered at its bottom when the Taskbar is unhidden;
however, if I disable the auto-hide option (the Taskbar is unhidden and
remains unhidden), Dialog's bottom edge adjusts upward to make sure it
isn't obliterated by the now-fixed size Taskbar.

Taskbar set to auto-hide.
Dialog's window bottom side below where Taskbar will pop up.
Move the mouse to the bottom of the screen.
Dialog's window bottom gets obliterated by the Taskbar.
Taskbar set to NOT auto-hide.
Taskbar occupies fixed size on screen bottom.
Dialog's window alters its size by moving up the bottom of its window.
Dialog's window not obliterated underneath the Taskbar.

When set to auto-hide, and the mouse at the bottom of the screen
triggers the Taskbar to expand, the bottom of an app's window, if low
enough, will get obliterated. The app's window bottom will be
underneath the popped up Taskbar. When auto-hide is disabled which has
the Taskbar always displayed, the app should adjust the bottom of its
window upward to prevent being underneath the Taskbar.

The OP said that when the Taskbar pops up, the app's window is not
underneath the Taskbar, but atop the Taskbar and obliterates a portion
of the Taskbar. The only thing I can think of is an always-on-top app
forcing the z-axis of its window higher than the Taskbar. The only
always-on-top app that I have (that I can think of) is Task Manager. It
has an always-on-top option (Options -> Always on top). When Task
Manager is open, and with its always-on-top enabled, you can drag its
window down atop the Taskbar. When the Taskbar is visible, the
always-on-top window for Task Manager will be atop and obliterate a
portion of the Taskbar.

The OP mentioned his Windows Explorer being atop the unhidden Taskbar.
I don't know of an option in WE to have it always on top. Perhaps the
OP is using some tool that alters the z-axis of windows, so the tool
could make WE an always-on-top window. For example, AutoHotkey lets you
keep windows always on top. DeskPins and TurboTop let you pin a window
to have it always be on top. We don't know what's on the OP's computer.

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<tvfojg1ccei2h4ttgo16i2r7iin0v9c1tf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2382&group=alt.windows7.general#2382

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 01:37:34 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:37 UTC

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:07:52 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen it the other way, too, where part of an app's
>>> window gets obliterated when the Taskbar is unhidden. Can't fix that
>>> with Taskbar settings. The behavior (lack of checking Taskbar state) is
>>> the fault of the app.
>>
>> I don't have any programs that adjust their window size when the
>> taskbar unhides, so the possibility is news to me. Out of curiosity,
>> can you mention a couple of the applications that do that?
>
>I phrased that wrong. When the Taskbar is unhidden /by disabling the
>auto-hide option/ some apps don't resize themself. For example, even in
>my ancient Dialog NNTP client (dev stopped back in 2002), it's window
>can get partially oblitered at its bottom when the Taskbar is unhidden;
>however, if I disable the auto-hide option (the Taskbar is unhidden and
>remains unhidden), Dialog's bottom edge adjusts upward to make sure it
>isn't obliterated by the now-fixed size Taskbar.
>
>Taskbar set to auto-hide.
>Dialog's window bottom side below where Taskbar will pop up.
>Move the mouse to the bottom of the screen.
>Dialog's window bottom gets obliterated by the Taskbar.
>Taskbar set to NOT auto-hide.
>Taskbar occupies fixed size on screen bottom.
>Dialog's window alters its size by moving up the bottom of its window.
>Dialog's window not obliterated underneath the Taskbar.
>
>When set to auto-hide, and the mouse at the bottom of the screen
>triggers the Taskbar to expand, the bottom of an app's window, if low
>enough, will get obliterated. The app's window bottom will be
>underneath the popped up Taskbar. When auto-hide is disabled which has
>the Taskbar always displayed, the app should adjust the bottom of its
>window upward to prevent being underneath the Taskbar.
>
>The OP said that when the Taskbar pops up, the app's window is not
>underneath the Taskbar, but atop the Taskbar and obliterates a portion
>of the Taskbar. The only thing I can think of is an always-on-top app
>forcing the z-axis of its window higher than the Taskbar. The only
>always-on-top app that I have (that I can think of) is Task Manager. It
>has an always-on-top option (Options -> Always on top). When Task
>Manager is open, and with its always-on-top enabled, you can drag its
>window down atop the Taskbar. When the Taskbar is visible, the
>always-on-top window for Task Manager will be atop and obliterate a
>portion of the Taskbar.
>
>The OP mentioned his Windows Explorer being atop the unhidden Taskbar.
>I don't know of an option in WE to have it always on top. Perhaps the
>OP is using some tool that alters the z-axis of windows, so the tool
>could make WE an always-on-top window. For example, AutoHotkey lets you
>keep windows always on top. DeskPins and TurboTop let you pin a window
>to have it always be on top. We don't know what's on the OP's computer.

My hidden task bar seems to step on everything I tried except the
slide show in IRFANVIEW when I mouse over and call it up..
Nothing seems to step on IRFANVIEW in full screen slide show.

Re: Win7 Pro Taskbar

<MPG.3ba6fbeafe80b88598fe0e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2387&group=alt.windows7.general#2387

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 18:46:51 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 01:46 UTC

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:07:52 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > [quoted text muted]
> >
> > I don't have any programs that adjust their window size when the
> > taskbar unhides, so the possibility is news to me. Out of curiosity,
> > can you mention a couple of the applications that do that?
>
> I phrased that wrong. When the Taskbar is unhidden /by disabling the
> auto-hide option/ some apps don't resize themself.

(Detailed explanation, snipped.)

Thanks for that; it was interesting.