Ya'll hear about the geometer who went to the beach to catch some rays and became a tangent ?

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Re: Bleep

SubjectAuthor
* BleepRichard Porter
`* Re: BleepAlan P Dawes
 `* Re: BleepRichard Porter
  `* Re: BleepRichard Porter
   +* Re: BleepChris Hughes
   |`- Re: BleepRichard Porter
   `* Re: Bleepb.boase
    `* Re: BleepHarriet Bazley
     `* Re: Bleepb.boase
      `* Re: BleepHarriet Bazley
       `- Re: BleepJean-Michel

1
Bleep

<70aad13b5a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2316&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2316

Subject: Bleep
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: ricp@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:35:30 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 09:35 UTC

I have the audio output on my ARMX6 connected to an amp and speakers. When
I'm playing music or speech with !Amplayer the volume is fine. However the
warning bleep from an application or ASCII BEL code is a miserable,
scarcely audible little squeak. Can this be adjusted?

--
Richard Porter

Re: Bleep

<5a3bd2dbeaalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2317&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2317

From: alan.dawes@riscos.org (Alan P Dawes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Bleep
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:48:32 +0100
 by: Alan P Dawes - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 09:48 UTC

In article <70aad13b5a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>,
Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:
> I have the audio output on my ARMX6 connected to an amp and speakers.
> When I'm playing music or speech with !Amplayer the volume is fine.
> However the warning bleep from an application or ASCII BEL code is a
> miserable, scarcely audible little squeak. Can this be adjusted?

Have you tried changing from Quiet beep to Loud beep? Double click !Boot
to bring up Configuration and then on Sound to alter to loud beep.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org

Re: Bleep

<6ec209405a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2318&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2318

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: ricp@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:13:00 GMT
 by: Richard Porter - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:13 UTC

The date being 23 Oct 2022, Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@riscos.org> decided
to write:

> In article <70aad13b5a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>,
> Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:
>> I have the audio output on my ARMX6 connected to an amp and speakers.
>> When I'm playing music or speech with !Amplayer the volume is fine.
>> However the warning bleep from an application or ASCII BEL code is a
>> miserable, scarcely audible little squeak. Can this be adjusted?

> Have you tried changing from Quiet beep to Loud beep? Double click !Boot
> to bring up Configuration and then on Sound to alter to loud beep.

> Alan

Thanks. That's a lot better. I just have to remember to turn the amp on!

Richard

Re: Bleep

<0e790e405a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2319&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2319

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: ricp@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:04:29 GMT
 by: Richard Porter - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:04 UTC

The date being 31 Oct 2022, Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> decided
to write:

>> Have you tried changing from Quiet beep to Loud beep? Double click !Boot
>> to bring up Configuration and then on Sound to alter to loud beep.

>> Alan

> Thanks. That's a lot better. I just have to remember to turn the amp on!

Actually it doesn't solve the problem, which specifically is the bleep
from Messenger Pro. When I type "bleep" I get a nice loud bl**p from spell
checker but when something else happens - probably new mail arriving I get
a miserable little squeak. Loud bl**p is still set in Configure...

I can't see anything relevant in Messenger choices.

Richard

Re: Bleep

<52da16405a.chris@mytardis>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2320&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2320

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:36:01 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:36 UTC

In message <0e790e405a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>
Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> The date being 31 Oct 2022, Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> decided
> to write:

>>> Have you tried changing from Quiet beep to Loud beep? Double click !Boot
>>> to bring up Configuration and then on Sound to alter to loud beep.

>>> Alan

>> Thanks. That's a lot better. I just have to remember to turn the amp on!

> Actually it doesn't solve the problem, which specifically is the bleep
> from Messenger Pro. When I type "bleep" I get a nice loud bl**p from spell
> checker but when something else happens - probably new mail arriving I get
> a miserable little squeak. Loud bl**p is still set in Configure...

> I can't see anything relevant in Messenger choices.

> Richard
When you updated the quiet beep to loud beep, did you check the two bars
in the above section were fully across?

Have you also got !PlayIt in your !Boot.Resources since Messenger Pro
seems to use this for playing its sounds. There is a 'chime' file within
Messenger.Resources

I think you can create your own sound file IIRC to use instead.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Bleep

<d4e7a7405a.boase@bernard>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2321&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2321

From: b.boase@bcs.org
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 19:00:23 GMT
 by: b.boase@bcs.org - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 19:00 UTC

On 31 Oct 2022, ricp@minijem.plus.com wrote:

> Actually it doesn't solve the problem, which specifically is the bleep
> from Messenger Pro. When I type "bleep" I get a nice loud bl**p from spell
> checker but when something else happens - probably new mail arriving I get
> a miserable little squeak. Loud bl**p is still set in Configure...

I too nowadays get the merest tiny almost inaudible ping from the module
Chime supplied with Messenger Pro. I have !PlayIt in Boot:Resources. It
was not always thus, so I assume some setup can be altered to restore the
sound, but what?

Bernard.
--
b.boase@bcs.org

Re: Bleep

<7485b0405a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2322&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2322

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 20:34:29 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 20:34 UTC

On 1 Nov 2022 as I do recall,
b.boase@bcs.org wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2022, ricp@minijem.plus.com wrote:
>
> > Actually it doesn't solve the problem, which specifically is the bleep
> > from Messenger Pro. When I type "bleep" I get a nice loud bl**p from spell
> > checker but when something else happens - probably new mail arriving I get
> > a miserable little squeak. Loud bl**p is still set in Configure...
>
> I too nowadays get the merest tiny almost inaudible ping from the module
> Chime supplied with Messenger Pro. I have !PlayIt in Boot:Resources. It
> was not always thus, so I assume some setup can be altered to restore the
> sound, but what?

I got the impression the issue was hardware-related, as when I got a new
computer Messenger's sounds went variously haywire (too soft/too
fast and/or inaudible). I suspect you need a version of PlayIt
suitable to your current hardware; I seem to have my custom sounds and
my chime sorted out now, and have a PlayIt which claims to be 7.13,
although it might have been someone's patched version... I don't
remember how I fixed the issue. :-(

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Money is the root of all evil - and man needs roots

Re: Bleep

<9d46ba405a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2323&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2323

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: ricp@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 22:21:02 GMT
 by: Richard Porter - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 22:21 UTC

The date being 31 Oct 2022, Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> decided
to write:

> When you updated the quiet beep to loud beep, did you check the two bars
> in the above section were fully across?

I did. They were.

> Have you also got !PlayIt in your !Boot.Resources since Messenger Pro
> seems to use this for playing its sounds. There is a 'chime' file within
> Messenger.Resources

I have. There is. If I try to play Chime I just get a loud bleep.

> I think you can create your own sound file IIRC to use instead.

Re: Bleep

<39d5bd405a.boase@bernard>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2324&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2324

From: b.boase@bcs.org
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 22:59:53 GMT
 by: b.boase@bcs.org - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 22:59 UTC

On 1 Nov 2022, harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk wrote:

> I suspect you need a version of PlayIt suitable to your current hardware;
> I seem to have my custom sounds and my chime sorted out now, and have a
> PlayIt which claims to be 7.13, although it might have been someone's
> patched version... I don't remember how I fixed the issue. :-(

My PlayIt module is 1.73 (15-Apr-2012) which, assuming some finger trouble
somewhere, might be the same as yours?

I don't know what other elements in one's system affect its ability to
sound as expected.

Bernard
--
b.boase@bcs.org

Re: Bleep

<2250c9405a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2325&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2325

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 01:05:17 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 01:05 UTC

On 1 Nov 2022 as I do recall,
b.boase@bcs.org wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2022, harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I suspect you need a version of PlayIt suitable to your current hardware;
> > I seem to have my custom sounds and my chime sorted out now, and have a
> > PlayIt which claims to be 7.13, although it might have been someone's
> > patched version... I don't remember how I fixed the issue. :-(
>
> My PlayIt module is 1.73 (15-Apr-2012) which, assuming some finger trouble
> somewhere, might be the same as yours?

Ah yes, 1.73. :-D

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground... and missing.

Re: Bleep

<23cd84415a.jmb@jmc.bruck.orange.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2326&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2326

From: jmc.bruck@orange.fr (Jean-Michel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 12:13:09 +0100
 by: Jean-Michel - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 11:13 UTC

In message <2250c9405a.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2022 as I do recall,
> b.boase@bcs.org wrote:

>> On 1 Nov 2022, harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect you need a version of PlayIt suitable to your current hardware;
>>> I seem to have my custom sounds and my chime sorted out now, and have a
>>> PlayIt which claims to be 7.13, although it might have been someone's
>>> patched version... I don't remember how I fixed the issue. :-(
>>
>> My PlayIt module is 1.73 (15-Apr-2012) which, assuming some finger trouble
>> somewhere, might be the same as yours?
>>
> Ah yes, 1.73. :-D

!Verma report
PlayIt 1.73 (15 Feb 2018) © Rick Hudson, Christopher Martin
???

A small useful program !Mixvolume to test the level of Bleep, originally
created to adjust the audio level of Rhapsody4 and others like DigitalCd.
https://jeanmichelb.riscos.fr/Audio.html

--
Jean-Michel