From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: old taskbar and new taskbar: Win 11
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:36:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retrograde - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:36 UTC

From the «back where we started» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: Microsoft leak hints show labels on taskbar and more features coming to
Windows 11
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:01:25 -0400
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/136079/microsoft-leak-hints-show-labels-on-taskbar-and-more-features-coming-to-windows-11/

Speaking of Windows, here’s something I’m pretty sure many of you will be very
happy about:

In March, we exclusively confirmed the tech giant’s plan to restore classic
taskbar features[1] in the fall as part of the Windows 11 version 23H2 update.
One of the features set to return is “never combine” for the taskbar. As the
name suggests, this new toggle would let you ungroup icons/apps on the
taskbar.

Microsoft has finally added the early bits of the functionality to the taskbar
with Windows 11 Build 23440[2], which is available in the Dev Channel. In the
update, Microsoft has reintroduced the taskbar show labels feature and the
ability to ungroup app icons on the taskbar in Windows 11, addressing user
demands for these popular legacy features.

I prefer the more dock-style approach to managing and opening applications, but
I know a considerable number of you prefer the more traditional taskbar-based
approach.

Links:
[1]: https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/03/16/windows-11s-never-combine-taskbar-icons-feature-is-coming-in-the-fall/ (link)
[2]: https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/04/20/microsoft-leak-hints-show-labels-on-taskbar-and-more-features-coming-to-windows-11/ (link)

--
First rule of Usenet: you do not talk about Usenet

Re: old taskbar and new taskbar: Win 11

<u2fbcl$29f3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2323&group=comp.misc#2323

From: arnold@nospam.invalid (Arnold Knight)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: old taskbar and new taskbar: Win 11
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 02:35:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Arnold Knight - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 02:35 UTC

Great.

What would be awesome though, would be for them to remove advertising,
and put the 'Microsoft Account' feature as opt-in, nested in the
settings, rather than as an installation requirement.

I know that would make a lot of Windows users very happy.

Re: old taskbar and new taskbar: Win 11

<u2fh90$2a6ku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2324&group=comp.misc#2324

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:15:28 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 04:15 UTC

On 4/27/23 7:35 PM, Arnold Knight wrote:
> Great.
>
> What would be awesome though, would be for them to remove advertising,
> and put the 'Microsoft Account' feature as opt-in, nested in the
> settings, rather than as an installation requirement.
>
> I know that would make a lot of Windows users very happy.

And make it look and work like Windows 95. But faster.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I used to be convinced that MicroSquish shipped crap because they