From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Editor’s Server Mode
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 03:30:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 03:30 UTC

It can be helpful for GUI-based editors, like Emacs, to offer a “server
mode”. What this means is, instead of starting it up for every file you
want to edit, you leave it running, and use another command to tell it via
IPC to open selected files for editing. Such a command can be added as a
custom right-click menu item in common file managers, so you can just do
“Open In Editor” on any file while browsing directories.

In Emacs, this is done with the “emacsclient” command. This can be invoked
in blocking mode (wait until Emacs signals the edit is done before
proceeding), or non-blocking mode as “emacsclient -n”, where it just tells
Emacs to open the file and then immediately exits.

The latter is the natural one to use for such GUI invocation, though the
former one has its uses.

Re: Editor’s Server Mode

<ut9c4j$2lc69$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=235&group=comp.editors#235

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Re: Editor’s Server Mode
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:30:11 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:30 UTC

In article <ut8cgb$3vskv$1@dont-email.me>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>In Emacs, this is done with the emacsclient command. This can be invoked
>in blocking mode (wait until Emacs signals the edit is done before
>proceeding), or non-blocking mode as emacsclient -n, where it just tells
>Emacs to open the file and then immediately exits.
>
>The latter is the natural one to use for such GUI invocation, though the
>former one has its uses.

I'm sorry. Your editor-related question was?

--
Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a God superior to themselves.
Most Gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

Re: Editor’s Server Mode

<874jd2h5ph.fsf@tudado.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=241&group=comp.editors#241

From: jfairchild@tudado.org (Johanne Fairchild)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 07:32:58 -0300
sha1:cnJGUbVuvcNVQ+R7IQEQh6Y19Cs=
 by: Johanne Fairchild - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 10:32 UTC

gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:

> In article <ut8cgb$3vskv$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>>In Emacs, this is done with the emacsclient command. This can be invoked
>>in blocking mode (wait until Emacs signals the edit is done before
>>proceeding), or non-blocking mode as emacsclient -n, where it just tells
>>Emacs to open the file and then immediately exits.
>>
>>The latter is the natural one to use for such GUI invocation, though the
>>former one has its uses.
>
> I'm sorry. Your editor-related question was?

This is the USENET, not a question-and-answer website. I don't know
what the OP's purpose was, but he can post his thoughts on whatever he
wants. He seems to be sharing his preference for the emacsclient -n,
perhaps hoping someone would engage in conversation.

But, like you, I also have nothing to say. :)

computers / comp.editors / Editor’s Server Mode