It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.

computers / comp.editors / Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

SubjectAuthor
* Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPEli the Bearded
+- Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPKenny McCormack
`* Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPMarco Moock
 `* Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPAndreas Kohlbach
  `* Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPKenny McCormack
   `* Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPAndreas Kohlbach
    `* Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPKenny McCormack
     `- Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIPAndreas Kohlbach

1
Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<eli$2308052137@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16&group=comp.editors#16

From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 01:38:23 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 01:38 UTC

News of this is widespread, so I am surprised Usenet does not have it
yet. On the vim-announce mailing list today it was announced that Vim
author Bram Moolenaar has passed away.

Quoting the message (as seen at:
https://groups.google.com/g/vim_announce/c/tWahca9zkt4
)

Dear all,

It is with a heavy heart that we have to inform you that Bram
Moolenaar passed away on 3 August 2023. Bram was suffering from a
medical condition that progressed quickly over the last few weeks.

Bram dedicated a large part of his life to VIM and he was very proud
of the VIM community that you are all part of.

We as family are now arranging the funeral service of Bram which
will take place in The Netherlands and will be held in the Dutch
lanuage. The extact date, time and place are still to be determined.
Should you wish to attend his funeral then please send a message to
funer...@gmail.com. This email address can also be used to get in
contact with the family regarding other matters, bearing in the mind
the situation we are in right now as family.

With kind regards, The family of Bram Moolenaar

The email address that Google Groups hides is: funeralbram@gmail.com

Elijah
------
first Sven Guckes, now Bram, the vim world seems smaller

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<uan014$36nfj$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17&group=comp.editors#17

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 02:20:20 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 02:20 UTC

In article <eli$2308052137@qaz.wtf>,
Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>News of this is widespread, so I am surprised Usenet does not have it
>yet. On the vim-announce mailing list today it was announced that Vim
>author Bram Moolenaar has passed away.

I first read about it in alt.obituaries.

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/LadyChatterley

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<uao6vr$2975c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18&group=comp.editors#18

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:25:15 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:25 UTC

Am 06.08.2023 um 01:38:23 Uhr schrieb Eli the Bearded:

> News of this is widespread, so I am surprised Usenet does not have it
> yet.

It was discussed in the German de.comp.editoren group.

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<877cq7dhvg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19&group=comp.editors#19

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 16:40:35 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:40 UTC

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:25:15 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 06.08.2023 um 01:38:23 Uhr schrieb Eli the Bearded:
>
>> News of this is widespread, so I am surprised Usenet does not have it
>> yet.
>
> It was discussed in the German de.comp.editoren group.

Yeah, remember that one time, when the German branch of the usenet was
actually faster than the alt.* part? ;-)

Also Kevin Mitnick passed away just last month. I did not see that
covered anywhere on the usenet. But I might just read the "wrong" groups.

RIP!
--
Andreas

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<uap7ta$37r7i$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20&group=comp.editors#20

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 22:47:06 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 22:47 UTC

In article <877cq7dhvg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:25:15 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>>
>> Am 06.08.2023 um 01:38:23 Uhr schrieb Eli the Bearded:
>>
>>> News of this is widespread, so I am surprised Usenet does not have it
>>> yet.
>>
>> It was discussed in the German de.comp.editoren group.
>
>Yeah, remember that one time, when the German branch of the usenet was
>actually faster than the alt.* part? ;-)
>
>Also Kevin Mitnick passed away just last month. I did not see that
>covered anywhere on the usenet. But I might just read the "wrong" groups.

That was also mentioned in alt.obituaries

Really, if you want to keep up, you need to be reading a.o!

--
One should not believe everything posted to USENET.

- Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com -
- 4/15/19 -

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<87leenbdwn.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21&group=comp.editors#21

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 01:49:12 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 05:49 UTC

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 22:47:06 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

> In article <877cq7dhvg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
> Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>>
>>Also Kevin Mitnick passed away just last month. I did not see that
>>covered anywhere on the usenet. But I might just read the "wrong" groups.
>
> That was also mentioned in alt.obituaries
>
> Really, if you want to keep up, you need to be reading a.o!

I don't.

Sad these people passed away way too young. Better "miss" some.
--
Andreas

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<uaqodh$38j8v$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22&group=comp.editors#22

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 12:34:57 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 12:34 UTC

In article <87leenbdwn.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 22:47:06 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>
>> In article <877cq7dhvg.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
>> Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>Also Kevin Mitnick passed away just last month. I did not see that
>>>covered anywhere on the usenet. But I might just read the "wrong" groups.
>>
>> That was also mentioned in alt.obituaries
>>
>> Really, if you want to keep up, you need to be reading a.o!
>
>I don't.
>
>Sad these people passed away way too young. Better "miss" some.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm going to assume that you mean
that you're not interested in reading run-of-the mill obits of old people,
but are interested in stories abut young (unexpected) deaths, and,
particularly if they are about computer people.

I agree with this - and tend to be mostly interested in the younger
deaths (unless, of course, they are "rap" stars, in which case their deaths
are not at all unexpected).

Anyway, back to topic, 62 is definitely too young. Note, BTW, that the
definition of "young" is younger than (rhetorical) you, and the definition
of "old" is at least 10 years older than you...

--
Modern Conservative: Someone who can take time out from flashing her
wedding ring around and bragging about her honeymoon to complain that a

Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP

<874jlabqo1.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23&group=comp.editors#23

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 15:25:50 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 19:25 UTC

On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 12:34:57 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

> In article <87leenbdwn.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
> Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>>On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 22:47:06 -0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:

>>> That was also mentioned in alt.obituaries
>>>
>>> Really, if you want to keep up, you need to be reading a.o!
>>
>>I don't.
>>
>>Sad these people passed away way too young. Better "miss" some.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm going to assume that you mean
> that you're not interested in reading run-of-the mill obits of old people,
> but are interested in stories abut young (unexpected) deaths, and,
> particularly if they are about computer people.

No, I am especially *not* interested hearing about people passing away
untimely. I want those I honor to have a long and fulfilled life instead.

But when reading news (also "web page" news) they pop up. Nothing I can
do about it to hide those articles.
--
Andreas

computers / comp.editors / Re: Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim, RIP