7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Unidentified Device on My Network

SubjectAuthor
* Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
`* Re: Unidentified Device on My Networkgfretwell
 +* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
 |+* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkDavid E. Ross
 ||`- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
 |+* Re: Unidentified Device on My Networkgfretwell
 ||`- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkDavid E. Ross
 |`* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
 | `- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkChar Jackson
 `* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBrian Gregory
  `* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
   +* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkDennis
   |+- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkSailfish
   |`- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkAnt
   +* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
   |+* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkPaul
   ||`- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris
   |`- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkChar Jackson
   `* Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkChar Jackson
    `- Re: Unidentified Device on My NetworkBoris

1
Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD969B3E2425nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2295&group=alt.windows7.general#2295

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Unidentified Device on My Network
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15 UTC

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6400v2, wifi router

The last time I checked on the "Attached Devices" tab of the router was
about two weeks ago. I did this because I couldn't print to my Brother
wifi connected printer. Sure enough, it was not listed as 'attached'. A
router reboot fixed the problem, and assigned a new IP to the printer.

Same thing happened today...couldn't print. When checking "Attached
Devices", the printer was missing again. I rebooted the router, and the
printer appeared. The IP had not changed this time.

However, today I noticed a device that I'd never seen before. On the
router, it's listed as Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, IP is shown, as is the MAC.
It shows connected via 5g. I recognize the 'DESKTOP-1J69CCJ' as the default
format presented by Windows for 'Computer name'. My other machines are
presented in the same format on the Attached Devices router screen.

Windows Explorer also shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ (without Lenovo) as a device
under Network.
It also shows up on File Explorer on the Win10 machines around the house,
but I can't log in, because there's no password set.

Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ is not at all familiar to me. Pings and tracerts
work fine. If I use the router to block Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, pings and
tracerts go no where. Unblocking Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ allows pings and
tracerts to find Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.

I do have Lenovo laptop on the network, running Ubuntu, but it's properly
identified by both the router and by Windows.

Could a neighbor be connected to my network? How can I find what this
DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is?

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<e0tqig5q1uv6akebedh9o3g08k5h6dvslk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2296&group=alt.windows7.general#2296

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Unidentified Device on My Network
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:15:34 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:15 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15:44 -0000 (UTC), Boris
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1
>
>Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6400v2, wifi router
>
>The last time I checked on the "Attached Devices" tab of the router was
>about two weeks ago. I did this because I couldn't print to my Brother
>wifi connected printer. Sure enough, it was not listed as 'attached'. A
>router reboot fixed the problem, and assigned a new IP to the printer.
>
>Same thing happened today...couldn't print. When checking "Attached
>Devices", the printer was missing again. I rebooted the router, and the
>printer appeared. The IP had not changed this time.
>
>However, today I noticed a device that I'd never seen before. On the
>router, it's listed as Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, IP is shown, as is the MAC.
>It shows connected via 5g. I recognize the 'DESKTOP-1J69CCJ' as the default
>format presented by Windows for 'Computer name'. My other machines are
>presented in the same format on the Attached Devices router screen.
>
>Windows Explorer also shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ (without Lenovo) as a device
>under Network.
>It also shows up on File Explorer on the Win10 machines around the house,
>but I can't log in, because there's no password set.
>
>Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ is not at all familiar to me. Pings and tracerts
>work fine. If I use the router to block Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, pings and
>tracerts go no where. Unblocking Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ allows pings and
>tracerts to find Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.
>
>I do have Lenovo laptop on the network, running Ubuntu, but it's properly
>identified by both the router and by Windows.
>
>Could a neighbor be connected to my network? How can I find what this
>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is?

Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
guess.

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD96BA0D07676nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2297&group=alt.windows7.general#2297

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:17:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:17 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote in

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15:44 -0000 (UTC), Boris
> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1
>>
>>Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6400v2, wifi router
>>
>>The last time I checked on the "Attached Devices" tab of the router
>>was about two weeks ago. I did this because I couldn't print to my
>>Brother wifi connected printer. Sure enough, it was not listed as
>>'attached'. A router reboot fixed the problem, and assigned a new IP
>>to the printer.
>>
>>Same thing happened today...couldn't print. When checking "Attached
>>Devices", the printer was missing again. I rebooted the router, and
>>the printer appeared. The IP had not changed this time.
>>
>>However, today I noticed a device that I'd never seen before. On the
>>router, it's listed as Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, IP is shown, as is the
>>MAC. It shows connected via 5g. I recognize the 'DESKTOP-1J69CCJ' as
>>the default format presented by Windows for 'Computer name'. My other
>>machines are presented in the same format on the Attached Devices
>>router screen.
>>
>>Windows Explorer also shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ (without Lenovo) as a
>>device under Network.
>>It also shows up on File Explorer on the Win10 machines around the
>>house, but I can't log in, because there's no password set.
>>
>>Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ is not at all familiar to me. Pings and
>>tracerts work fine. If I use the router to block Lenovo
>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, pings and tracerts go no where. Unblocking Lenovo
>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ allows pings and tracerts to find Lenovo
>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.
>>
>>I do have Lenovo laptop on the network, running Ubuntu, but it's
>>properly identified by both the router and by Windows.
>>
>>Could a neighbor be connected to my network? How can I find what this
>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is?
>
> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
> guess.

Hi, there,

Yeah, that was my next move. Just waiting for all the users in the house
to go watch TV so I can turn their devices off <g>. In the meantime,
I've got the mysterious device blocked, and will unblock when I turn all
other devices off.

Thanks.

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<sgk392$1mjb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2298&group=alt.windows7.general#2298

From: not_me@not_there.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:13:54 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:13 UTC

On 8/30/2021 6:17 PM, Boris wrote:
> gfretwell@aol.com wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15:44 -0000 (UTC), Boris
>> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1
>>>
>>> Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6400v2, wifi router
>>>
>>> The last time I checked on the "Attached Devices" tab of the router
>>> was about two weeks ago. I did this because I couldn't print to my
>>> Brother wifi connected printer. Sure enough, it was not listed as
>>> 'attached'. A router reboot fixed the problem, and assigned a new IP
>>> to the printer.
>>>
>>> Same thing happened today...couldn't print. When checking "Attached
>>> Devices", the printer was missing again. I rebooted the router, and
>>> the printer appeared. The IP had not changed this time.
>>>
>>> However, today I noticed a device that I'd never seen before. On the
>>> router, it's listed as Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, IP is shown, as is the
>>> MAC. It shows connected via 5g. I recognize the 'DESKTOP-1J69CCJ' as
>>> the default format presented by Windows for 'Computer name'. My other
>>> machines are presented in the same format on the Attached Devices
>>> router screen.
>>>
>>> Windows Explorer also shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ (without Lenovo) as a
>>> device under Network.
>>> It also shows up on File Explorer on the Win10 machines around the
>>> house, but I can't log in, because there's no password set.
>>>
>>> Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ is not at all familiar to me. Pings and
>>> tracerts work fine. If I use the router to block Lenovo
>>> DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, pings and tracerts go no where. Unblocking Lenovo
>>> DESKTOP-1J69CCJ allows pings and tracerts to find Lenovo
>>> DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.
>>>
>>> I do have Lenovo laptop on the network, running Ubuntu, but it's
>>> properly identified by both the router and by Windows.
>>>
>>> Could a neighbor be connected to my network? How can I find what this
>>> DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is?
>>
>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
>> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
>> guess.
>>

> Hi, there,
>
> Yeah, that was my next move. Just waiting for all the users in the house
> to go watch TV so I can turn their devices off <g>. In the meantime,
> I've got the mysterious device blocked, and will unblock when I turn all
> other devices off.
>
> Thanks.

Get MACAddressView.exe from Nirsoft at
<http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mac_address_lookup_find.html>. You give
it the MAC address, and it will tell you about the device.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<ks5rigp26370cirat15ce90derqnald7dr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2299&group=alt.windows7.general#2299

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:46:58 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:46 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:17:27 -0000 (UTC), Boris
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15:44 -0000 (UTC), Boris
>> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1
>>>
>>>Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6400v2, wifi router
>>>
>>>The last time I checked on the "Attached Devices" tab of the router
>>>was about two weeks ago. I did this because I couldn't print to my
>>>Brother wifi connected printer. Sure enough, it was not listed as
>>>'attached'. A router reboot fixed the problem, and assigned a new IP
>>>to the printer.
>>>
>>>Same thing happened today...couldn't print. When checking "Attached
>>>Devices", the printer was missing again. I rebooted the router, and
>>>the printer appeared. The IP had not changed this time.
>>>
>>>However, today I noticed a device that I'd never seen before. On the
>>>router, it's listed as Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, IP is shown, as is the
>>>MAC. It shows connected via 5g. I recognize the 'DESKTOP-1J69CCJ' as
>>>the default format presented by Windows for 'Computer name'. My other
>>>machines are presented in the same format on the Attached Devices
>>>router screen.
>>>
>>>Windows Explorer also shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ (without Lenovo) as a
>>>device under Network.
>>>It also shows up on File Explorer on the Win10 machines around the
>>>house, but I can't log in, because there's no password set.
>>>
>>>Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ is not at all familiar to me. Pings and
>>>tracerts work fine. If I use the router to block Lenovo
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, pings and tracerts go no where. Unblocking Lenovo
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ allows pings and tracerts to find Lenovo
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.
>>>
>>>I do have Lenovo laptop on the network, running Ubuntu, but it's
>>>properly identified by both the router and by Windows.
>>>
>>>Could a neighbor be connected to my network? How can I find what this
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is?
>>
>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
>> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
>> guess.
>>

>Hi, there,
>
>Yeah, that was my next move. Just waiting for all the users in the house
>to go watch TV so I can turn their devices off <g>. In the meantime,
>I've got the mysterious device blocked, and will unblock when I turn all
>other devices off.
>
>Thanks.

Did you see your neighbor looking out the window right after you
blocked it?
If nobody in your house has complained it probably isn't yours.
If I reset my router I hear "Hey the WiFi is down" right away ;)

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD96CB8632984nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2300&group=alt.windows7.general#2300

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:00:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:00 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> gfretwell@aol.com wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:15:44 -0000 (UTC), Boris
>> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1
>>>
>>>Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6400v2, wifi router
>>>
>>>The last time I checked on the "Attached Devices" tab of the router
>>>was about two weeks ago. I did this because I couldn't print to my
>>>Brother wifi connected printer. Sure enough, it was not listed as
>>>'attached'. A router reboot fixed the problem, and assigned a new IP
>>>to the printer.
>>>
>>>Same thing happened today...couldn't print. When checking "Attached
>>>Devices", the printer was missing again. I rebooted the router, and
>>>the printer appeared. The IP had not changed this time.
>>>
>>>However, today I noticed a device that I'd never seen before. On the
>>>router, it's listed as Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, IP is shown, as is the
>>>MAC. It shows connected via 5g. I recognize the 'DESKTOP-1J69CCJ' as
>>>the default format presented by Windows for 'Computer name'. My
>>>other machines are presented in the same format on the Attached
>>>Devices router screen.
>>>
>>>Windows Explorer also shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ (without Lenovo) as a
>>>device under Network.
>>>It also shows up on File Explorer on the Win10 machines around the
>>>house, but I can't log in, because there's no password set.
>>>
>>>Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ is not at all familiar to me. Pings and
>>>tracerts work fine. If I use the router to block Lenovo
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ, pings and tracerts go no where. Unblocking Lenovo
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ allows pings and tracerts to find Lenovo
>>>DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.
>>>
>>>I do have Lenovo laptop on the network, running Ubuntu, but it's
>>>properly identified by both the router and by Windows.
>>>
>>>Could a neighbor be connected to my network? How can I find what
>>>this DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is?
>>
>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
>> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
>> guess.
>>

> Hi, there,
>
> Yeah, that was my next move. Just waiting for all the users in the
> house to go watch TV so I can turn their devices off <g>. In the
> meantime, I've got the mysterious device blocked, and will unblock
> when I turn all other devices off.
>
> Thanks.

Well, I did that, and the Lenovo DESKTOP-1J69CCJ still appears on both
the router and on Windows file trees.

I showed my daughter what I was doing, and she remembered purchasing a
cheap Lenovo laptop two years ago. (The router calls any kind of a
computer a desktop until you specify desktop or laptop.)

I began to think this Lenovo was an 'orphaned' device, and found
suggestions online to delete it as such, but nothing worked.

Hmmm...

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD96CC03639C3nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2301&group=alt.windows7.general#2301

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:03:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:03 UTC

"David E. Ross" <not_me@not_there.invalid> wrote in

> On 8/30/2021 6:17 PM, Boris wrote:
>> gfretwell@aol.com wrote in

>>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes
>>> away. If it isn't you, change your router password to something
>>> harder to guess.
>>>

>> Hi, there,
>>
>> Yeah, that was my next move. Just waiting for all the users in the
>> house to go watch TV so I can turn their devices off <g>. In the
>> meantime, I've got the mysterious device blocked, and will unblock
>> when I turn all other devices off.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Get MACAddressView.exe from Nirsoft at
> <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mac_address_lookup_find.html>. You give
> it the MAC address, and it will tell you about the device.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I did run MAC AddressView against this
mysterious Lenovo device. Here's what I got, which so far, is also
mysterious:

Search String MAC Addresses Company Address Country Index
00:28:F8:FF:46:BE 00-28-F8-XX-XX-XX Intel Corporate Lot 8, Jalan
Hi-Tech 2/3, Kulim Kedah 09000 Malaysia 1

I did some searching on the above results, but nothing came up.

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<sgkbja$d9t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2302&group=alt.windows7.general#2302

From: not_me@not_there.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 21:35:53 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 04:35 UTC

On 8/30/2021 7:46 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:17:27 -0000 (UTC), Boris
> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> gfretwell@aol.com wrote in

>>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
>>> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
>>> guess.
>>>

>> Hi, there,
>>
>> Yeah, that was my next move. Just waiting for all the users in the house
>> to go watch TV so I can turn their devices off <g>. In the meantime,
>> I've got the mysterious device blocked, and will unblock when I turn all
>> other devices off.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Did you see your neighbor looking out the window right after you
> blocked it?
> If nobody in your house has complained it probably isn't yours.
> If I reset my router I hear "Hey the WiFi is down" right away ;)

I disabled my router's WiFi capabilities. Our computers are connected
to the router via eithernet cables.

I have read too many news items about router owners being accused of
downloading child pornography where it was actually a neighbor using the
router's WiFi. Of course, the owner of the router never changed its
password.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
See my <http://www.rossde.com/index#vaccine>.

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<ip6fn6FcmoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2303&group=alt.windows7.general#2303

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 11:48:05 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:48 UTC

On 31/08/2021 01:15, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
> guess.

Assuming you haven't been really daft and left the router's GUI
accessible from the internet it's not the router password you need to
change, it's the Wi-Fi passphrase.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD9768EFD66A0nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2304&group=alt.windows7.general#2304

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:19 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote in

> On 31/08/2021 01:15, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
>> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
>> guess.
>
> Assuming you haven't been really daft and left the router's GUI
> accessible from the internet it's not the router password you need to
> change, it's the Wi-Fi passphrase.

Both are passworded. Yes, it's the wifi password that would need to be
changed.

I forgot to mention that the Lenovo my daughter had two years ago, went
back to the store because it was crappy. But, it was on the network for
a few days. Don't know what it's name was, though.

At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if another
device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious. Regardless, I'll
later change the wifi password.

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<o8qsigdmjj0g1eoub0cr6j2mc4k324ms7d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2305&group=alt.windows7.general#2305

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (Dennis)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:42:23 -0400
 by: Dennis - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:42 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if another
>device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious. Regardless, I'll
>later change the wifi password.

I encountered a strange device on my network and blocked it. I
discovered it was my wife's Kindle a few days later when she complained
she couldn't download books. :-)

--

Dennis

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<sgm1rt$4c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2306&group=alt.windows7.general#2306

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:02:07 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:02 UTC

Dennis graced us with on 8/31/2021 10:42 AM:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if another
>> device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious. Regardless, I'll
>> later change the wifi password.
>
> I encountered a strange device on my network and blocked it. I
> discovered it was my wife's Kindle a few days later when she complained
> she couldn't download books. :-)

HaHa!

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD978E97B42FEnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2307&group=alt.windows7.general#2307

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:01:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:01 UTC

> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On 31/08/2021 01:15, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes
>>> away. If it isn't you, change your router password to something
>>> harder to guess.
>>
>> Assuming you haven't been really daft and left the router's GUI
>> accessible from the internet it's not the router password you need to
>> change, it's the Wi-Fi passphrase.
>>

> Both are passworded. Yes, it's the wifi password that would need to
> be changed.
>
> I forgot to mention that the Lenovo my daughter had two years ago,
> went back to the store because it was crappy. But, it was on the
> network for a few days. Don't know what it's name was, though.
>
> At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if
> another device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious.
> Regardless, I'll later change the wifi password.

When I blocked only the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device from the network,
my daughter yelled, "Dad, is the internet down?"

Eureka!

Earlier in this investigative process, when I went around and turned all
devices off at once, all devices, including the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ
device, disappeared from the router's Attached Devices list. OK, so that
means that the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is in the house, and I
touched it. But which one is it? All devices seem to be listed
properly, including the properly listed Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu.

My daughter's laptop is an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0xx, i7,
16GB. It is not a Lenovo, and when I looked at the device name assigned
by Windows 10 when the OS was first launched about two years ago, it
shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.

(It's not an orphaned device, or a neighbor's device.)

The only way I can think of as to how it got mis-labeled "Lenovo", is
obviously by me. Perhaps when my daughter replaced the low end Lenovo,
and within a week replaced it with the HP Spectre, I still had Lenovo in
my mind, and incorrectly labeled it as such on the router list of
devices.

gfretwell, the advice in your first reply would have settled this
quickly. But I was too lazy to run around the house, upstairs and
downstairs, and come back to the router, to see what's up each time I
turned off up to 12 devices.

Finally, why did the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ just appear in the last two
weeks? My daughter was evacuated from her home due to the Calrod fire in
El Dorado county, CA, two weeks ago, and is here with us at home.

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<sgmcct$7gk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2308&group=alt.windows7.general#2308

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:01:49 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:01 UTC

Boris wrote:

> When I blocked only the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device from the network,
> my daughter yelled, "Dad, is the internet down?"
>
> Eureka!

That will do it alright.

I suppose this is a side effect of having
a dozen devices in the house. It makes
network debug a challenge.

Renaming the PC in sysdm.cpl, you probably
couldn't get everyone in the house to agree
on what the naming scheme should be. This
single article has some names you could use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Dwarfs

Paul

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD97A593FCE60nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2309&group=alt.windows7.general#2309

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:16:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:16 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:sgmcct$7gk$1@dont-email.me:

> Boris wrote:
>
>> When I blocked only the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device from the network,
>> my daughter yelled, "Dad, is the internet down?"
>>
>> Eureka!
>
> That will do it alright.
>
> I suppose this is a side effect of having
> a dozen devices in the house. It makes
> network debug a challenge.
>
> Renaming the PC in sysdm.cpl, you probably
> couldn't get everyone in the house to agree
> on what the naming scheme should be. This
> single article has some names you could use.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Dwarfs
>
> Paul

Nice. Very nice!

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<usstigt5t8070lh9vg1ai0ddd9f39om6rk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2310&group=alt.windows7.general#2310

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:38:05 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:38 UTC

wrote:

>Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On 31/08/2021 01:15, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> Turn off the machines you have one at a time and see if it goes away.
>>> If it isn't you, change your router password to something harder to
>>> guess.
>>
>> Assuming you haven't been really daft and left the router's GUI
>> accessible from the internet it's not the router password you need to
>> change, it's the Wi-Fi passphrase.
>>

>Both are passworded. Yes, it's the wifi password that would need to be
>changed.
>
>I forgot to mention that the Lenovo my daughter had two years ago, went
>back to the store because it was crappy. But, it was on the network for
>a few days. Don't know what it's name was, though.
>
>At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if another
>device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious. Regardless, I'll
>later change the wifi password.

How is it possible that an unknown device can connect to your WiFi network?
What kind of wireless security are you using? Common security levels are:
WPA2 <-- Normally good enough
WPA <-- May be used if you have devices that don't support WPA2
WEP <-- Trivial to bypass
None <-- Wide open, anyone can connect

Note that WEP can be bypassed in a few seconds, so it's not much better
than None. Ideally, you should be using WPA2. You should also disable WPS,
if your WiFi router has that feature. WPS can be a huge backdoor into your
WiFi network, regardless of how secure your WiFi password may be.

--

Char Jackson

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<cdttigh6evv4qpvpdrkcmob5i4nvmc79k5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2311&group=alt.windows7.general#2311

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:44:12 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:44 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:00:28 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>I showed my daughter what I was doing, and she remembered purchasing a
>cheap Lenovo laptop two years ago. (The router calls any kind of a
>computer a desktop until you specify desktop or laptop.)
>
>I began to think this Lenovo was an 'orphaned' device, and found
>suggestions online to delete it as such, but nothing worked.

If you can ping a device, then it's not an orphan. It's real and it's on
your network. It's a trusted device and that's potentially not good at all.

--

Char Jackson

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<srttigtn6os2egr73dgd997qmc5hld9n5d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2312&group=alt.windows7.general#2312

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:46:27 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:46 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:01:07 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
>> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote in

>>> Assuming you haven't been really daft and left the router's GUI
>>> accessible from the internet it's not the router password you need to
>>> change, it's the Wi-Fi passphrase.
>>>

>> Both are passworded. Yes, it's the wifi password that would need to
>> be changed.
>>
>> I forgot to mention that the Lenovo my daughter had two years ago,
>> went back to the store because it was crappy. But, it was on the
>> network for a few days. Don't know what it's name was, though.
>>
>> At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if
>> another device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious.
>> Regardless, I'll later change the wifi password.
>
>When I blocked only the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device from the network,
>my daughter yelled, "Dad, is the internet down?"
>
>Eureka!
>
>Earlier in this investigative process, when I went around and turned all
>devices off at once, all devices, including the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ
>device, disappeared from the router's Attached Devices list. OK, so that
>means that the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ device is in the house, and I
>touched it. But which one is it? All devices seem to be listed
>properly, including the properly listed Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu.
>
>My daughter's laptop is an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0xx, i7,
>16GB. It is not a Lenovo, and when I looked at the device name assigned
>by Windows 10 when the OS was first launched about two years ago, it
>shows DESKTOP-1J69CCJ.
>
>(It's not an orphaned device, or a neighbor's device.)
>
>The only way I can think of as to how it got mis-labeled "Lenovo", is
>obviously by me. Perhaps when my daughter replaced the low end Lenovo,
>and within a week replaced it with the HP Spectre, I still had Lenovo in
>my mind, and incorrectly labeled it as such on the router list of
>devices.
>
>gfretwell, the advice in your first reply would have settled this
>quickly. But I was too lazy to run around the house, upstairs and
>downstairs, and come back to the router, to see what's up each time I
>turned off up to 12 devices.
>
>Finally, why did the Lenovo-DESKTOP-1J69CCJ just appear in the last two
>weeks? My daughter was evacuated from her home due to the Calrod fire in
>El Dorado county, CA, two weeks ago, and is here with us at home.

Problem solved. Thanks for closing the loop.

--

Char Jackson

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<quCdnYnlULvUZLP8nZ2dnUU7-SWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2313&group=alt.windows7.general#2313

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:53:45 -0500
 by: Ant - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:53 UTC

Dennis <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

> >At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if another
> >device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious. Regardless, I'll
> >later change the wifi password.

> I encountered a strange device on my network and blocked it. I
> discovered it was my wife's Kindle a few days later when she complained
> she couldn't download books. :-)

Wow, you never noticed it before? :-O
--
Too many issues, videos, and free huge sized game trials!
| |o o| |

Re: Unidentified Device on My Network

<XnsAD986CE9C2BEAnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2314&group=alt.windows7.general#2314

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 17:42:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 17:42 UTC

Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote in

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC), Boris
> <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote in

>>> Assuming you haven't been really daft and left the router's GUI
>>> accessible from the internet it's not the router password you need
>>> to change, it's the Wi-Fi passphrase.
>>>

>>Both are passworded. Yes, it's the wifi password that would need to
>>be changed.
>>
>>I forgot to mention that the Lenovo my daughter had two years ago,
>>went back to the store because it was crappy. But, it was on the
>>network for a few days. Don't know what it's name was, though.
>>
>>At the moment, I think I'll block the Lenovo device, and see if
>>another device (from the neighborhood?) pops up. Just curious.
>>Regardless, I'll later change the wifi password.
>
> How is it possible that an unknown device can connect to your WiFi
> network?

Well, in this case, the device was known to the network, but unknown to me.

What kind of wireless security are you using? Common security
> levels are: WPA2 <-- Normally good enough
> WPA <-- May be used if you have devices that don't support WPA2
> WEP <-- Trivial to bypass
> None <-- Wide open, anyone can connect

WPA2-PSK[AES]

> Note that WEP can be bypassed in a few seconds, so it's not much
> better than None. Ideally, you should be using WPA2. You should also
> disable WPS, if your WiFi router has that feature. WPS can be a huge
> backdoor into your WiFi network, regardless of how secure your WiFi
> password may be.

Never cared for WPS, and this router does not have it. I've always
preferred to do things manually to help me understand what's going on.