From: jetjock@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Ping: Paul. WSUSOffline last question.
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:19:54 -0500
 by: jetjock - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 18:19 UTC

I hope this is the last question.

I can't get it out of my mind that all I had to do was run
CleanUpRecall.cmd and it shut everything down just like it was
supposed to. My question is, "Why didn't WSUSInstaller run it like it
was supposed to?"

As you can see in the screen grab I was able to make of the
installer's final seconds, it says that everything is done, and it was
returning things to normal and shutting down. So why did it get into
a loop and not run the CleanUpRecall?
https://www.sendspace.com/file/67oq9a

Not a big deal if you don't have clue either. It just bugs me when
things happen that I can't explain. :-)

Re: Ping: Paul. WSUSOffline last question.

<sg6e39$esj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2282&group=alt.windows7.general#2282

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Ping: Paul. WSUSOffline last question.
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:52:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:52 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> I hope this is the last question.
>
> I can't get it out of my mind that all I had to do was run
> CleanUpRecall.cmd and it shut everything down just like it was
> supposed to. My question is, "Why didn't WSUSInstaller run it like it
> was supposed to?"
>
> As you can see in the screen grab I was able to make of the
> installer's final seconds, it says that everything is done, and it was
> returning things to normal and shutting down. So why did it get into
> a loop and not run the CleanUpRecall?
> https://www.sendspace.com/file/67oq9a
>
> Not a big deal if you don't have clue either. It just bugs me when
> things happen that I can't explain. :-)

Something disturbed its automatic reboot and
installation sequence, and it lost track of
when to run the cleanup.

It has a "counter", but I don't know what it
counts and how it determines it has done
enough cycles.

It didn't happen to me, because I don't use that
automation and I only run it until it "looks
patched enough" :-)

From the OS perspective, you can't install exactly
the same patch twice. Even if you wipe out Windows
bookkeeping which displays as "history", it is
the WinSXS folder and the scanning that keeps
track of what is installed. Keeping a history or
a log, users quite frequently play with that, but
the users don't fool with the component based
servicing itself, which is why it continues to work.
Every time Windows Update gets a chance to run,
it can at least attempt to work out a patch list.

Paul

Re: Ping: Paul. WSUSOffline last question.

<ekcfig9pe5m6dq5ch43tecg729vkn7s2ac@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2283&group=alt.windows7.general#2283

From: jetjock@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 10:31:32 -0500
 by: jetjock - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:31 UTC

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:52:40 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>> I hope this is the last question.
>>
>> I can't get it out of my mind that all I had to do was run
>> CleanUpRecall.cmd and it shut everything down just like it was
>> supposed to. My question is, "Why didn't WSUSInstaller run it like it
>> was supposed to?"
>>
>> As you can see in the screen grab I was able to make of the
>> installer's final seconds, it says that everything is done, and it was
>> returning things to normal and shutting down. So why did it get into
>> a loop and not run the CleanUpRecall?
>> https://www.sendspace.com/file/67oq9a
>>
>> Not a big deal if you don't have clue either. It just bugs me when
>> things happen that I can't explain. :-)

>Something disturbed its automatic reboot and
>installation sequence, and it lost track of
>when to run the cleanup.
>
>It has a "counter", but I don't know what it
>counts and how it determines it has done
>enough cycles.
>
>It didn't happen to me, because I don't use that
>automation and I only run it until it "looks
>patched enough" :-)
>
> From the OS perspective, you can't install exactly
>the same patch twice. Even if you wipe out Windows
>bookkeeping which displays as "history", it is
>the WinSXS folder and the scanning that keeps
>track of what is installed. Keeping a history or
>a log, users quite frequently play with that, but
>the users don't fool with the component based
>servicing itself, which is why it continues to work.
>Every time Windows Update gets a chance to run,
>it can at least attempt to work out a patch list.

Good enough explanation for me. :-)

Since we installed all of the important updates, and two of the
optionals, I think he has an updated enough system that I turned off
Windows Updates for him. They shouldn't bother him further. If an
important security update comes out again, I can always install it
manually for him.

Looks like we're done. Once more, many, many thanks!!