For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

SubjectAuthor
* Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier thanHenry Crun
+* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs isMarco Moock
|+- Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it shoAnton Ertl
|`* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierjjb
| +- Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs isMarco Moock
| +- Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it shoAnton Ertl
| `* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierAlbert Arkwright
|  `* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierJoerg Lorenz
|   `* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierBobbie Sellers
|    `- Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierAndrei Z.
 `* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierMichael F. Stemper
  +* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierBobbie Sellers
  |`- Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs isMarco Moock
  `* Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickierPaul
   `- Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs isMarco Moock

1
Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<jj4jssF7h7qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2281&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2281

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than
it should be
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 09:50:03 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 06:50 UTC

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<20220712090603.41535a0f@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2282&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2282

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is
trickier than it should be
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 09:06:03 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 07:06 UTC

Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2022, um 09:50:03 Uhr schrieb Henry Crun:

> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a

| So far so good. However, for Secured Core PCs "it is a Microsoft
| requirement for the 3rd Party Certificate to be disabled by default,"
| according to Lenovo.

Another try from MS to stop users from installing another OS.

| Therefore if your PC ships with Windows pre-installed, there is an
| additional step to be taken to install Linux (or boot into something
| else) involving a jump into the BIOS setup to enable the Microsoft 3rd
| Party UEFI Certificate once again.

Do devices exists that don't have the possibility to change that
setting?

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<2022Jul12.091753@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2283&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2283

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 07:17:53 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 07:17 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> writes:
>Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2022, um 09:50:03 Uhr schrieb Henry Crun:
>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a
>
>| So far so good. However, for Secured Core PCs "it is a Microsoft
>| requirement for the 3rd Party Certificate to be disabled by default,"
>| according to Lenovo.
>Do devices exists that don't have the possibility to change that
>setting?

Who knows? And who knows what the next firmware update will change?
Remember that the Playstation 3 had the "OtherOS" feature and it was
removed with a firmware update.

It's better to avoid buying machines that are certified as "Secured
Core PCs".

- anton

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<taje9t$ve8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2284&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2284

From: invalid@invalid.nl (jjb)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier
than it should be
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 11:18:53 +0200
 by: jjb - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 09:18 UTC

On 12-07-2022 09:06, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2022, um 09:50:03 Uhr schrieb Henry Crun:
>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a
>
> | So far so good. However, for Secured Core PCs "it is a Microsoft
> | requirement for the 3rd Party Certificate to be disabled by default,"
> | according to Lenovo.
>
> Another try from MS to stop users from installing another OS.
>
> | Therefore if your PC ships with Windows pre-installed, there is an
> | additional step to be taken to install Linux (or boot into something
> | else) involving a jump into the BIOS setup to enable the Microsoft 3rd
> | Party UEFI Certificate once again.
>
> Do devices exists that don't have the possibility to change that
> setting?

Just wait. After the EU court has had its final say, there won't BE any
devices with this setting (at least not in the EU). To remind you: in
the past Microsoft changed its policies after some billion dollar fines...

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<20220712122646.1eff15e2@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2285&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2285

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
trickier than it should be
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 12:26:46 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 10:26 UTC

Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2022, um 11:18:53 Uhr schrieb jjb:

> Just wait. After the EU court has had its final say, there won't BE
> any devices with this setting (at least not in the EU). To remind
> you: in the past Microsoft changed its policies after some billion
> dollar fines...

This will take YEARS.

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tak06v$1c5j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2286&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2286

From: no-email@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 17:24:31 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 14:24 UTC

Henry Crun wrote:
> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a

Matthew Garrett: Responsible stewardship of the UEFI secure boot ecosystem

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/60248.html

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<2022Jul12.173256@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2287&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2287

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 15:32:56 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 15:32 UTC

jjb <invalid@invalid.nl> writes:
>Just wait. After the EU court has had its final say, there won't BE any
>devices with this setting (at least not in the EU). To remind you: in
>the past Microsoft changed its policies after some billion dollar fines...

The final say of the EU court in at least two recent rulings has been
that the fines levied against some monopolists are unlawful, i.e.,
their anticompetetive practices are lawful. We get the best laws that
money can buy.

So I don't think that MS has anything to fear from the EU court, and
no longer anything to fear from the Commissioner for Competition.

- anton

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tamihi$2clvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2291&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2291

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:49:38 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:49 UTC

On 12/07/2022 09.24, Andrei Z. wrote:
> Henry Crun wrote:
>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a
>
> Matthew Garrett: Responsible stewardship of the UEFI secure boot ecosystem
>
> https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/60248.html

I've been apprehensive ever since I heard about UEFI.

My M.O. when buying a PC has been to wipe the disk and install
Ubuntu from a flash drive. Does what these articles discuss mean
that I won't be able to do that -- at least with Lenovo?

--
Michael F. Stemper
Life's too important to take seriously.

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tamo20$2d229$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2293&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2293

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:23:44 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:23 UTC

On 7/13/22 06:49, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 12/07/2022 09.24, Andrei Z. wrote:
>> Henry Crun wrote:
>>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a
>>
>> Matthew Garrett: Responsible stewardship of the UEFI secure boot
>> ecosystem
>>
>> https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/60248.html
>
> I've been apprehensive ever since I heard about UEFI.
>
> My M.O. when buying a PC has been to wipe the disk and install
> Ubuntu from a flash drive. Does what these articles discuss mean
> that I won't be able to do that -- at least with Lenovo?

Does not Ubuntu have a 3rd party MS certificat then
you only have to go into the BIOS to enable the use of that as far
as I understand but better re-read the whole article.at the first URL.

Good luck! Do Not Fear the UEFI! Learn to use it for greater power
over partitions.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tamo5g$2da3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2294&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2294

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 11:25:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:25 UTC

On 7/13/2022 9:49 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 12/07/2022 09.24, Andrei Z. wrote:
>> Henry Crun wrote:
>>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a
>>
>> Matthew Garrett: Responsible stewardship of the UEFI secure boot ecosystem
>>
>> https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/60248.html
>
> I've been apprehensive ever since I heard about UEFI.
>
> My M.O. when buying a PC has been to wipe the disk and install
> Ubuntu from a flash drive. Does what these articles discuss mean
> that I won't be able to do that -- at least with Lenovo?

I think the article is saying, you go into the UEFI screen
and enable the shim again.

Here is your one-page PDF instruction manual, Dear Lenovo Customer.
Don't lose this.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/Enable_Secure_Boot_for_Linux_Secured-core_PCs.pdf

"This means that for any of these Lenovo platforms shipped with Windows preinstalled
an extra step is needed to allow Linux to boot with secure boot enabled."

You can pin that sheet to the dart board in your recreation room.

Paul

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<20220713182652.61f068e8@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2295&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2295

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
trickier than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:26:52 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:26 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2022, um 08:23:44 Uhr schrieb Bobbie Sellers:

> Good luck! Do Not Fear the UEFI! Learn to use it for greater power
> over partitions.

I don't fear it, i sometimes use UEFI.
Additionally, with Ubuntu, it is possible to boot on a legacy CSM
system from a GPT disk.
This is also the default of the Ubuntu installer. It creates GPT
partition tables instead of MBR, regardless if the system supports UEFI
or not.

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<20220713182844.40d99456@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2296&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2296

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
trickier than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:28:44 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:28 UTC

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2022, um 11:25:35 Uhr schrieb Paul:

> I think the article is saying, you go into the UEFI screen
> and enable the shim again.
>
> Here is your one-page PDF instruction manual, Dear Lenovo Customer.
> Don't lose this.
>
> https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/Enable_Secure_Boot_for_Linux_Secured-core_PCs.pdf

Rather funny is the fact that the took a photo instead of using their
own online BIOS/UEFI emulator:
https://download.lenovo.com/bsco/index.html

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tan1na$o1e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2298&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2298

From: Albert.Arkwright@gmail.com (Albert Arkwright)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:00:00 +0100
 by: Albert Arkwright - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:00 UTC

On 12/07/2022 10:18, jjb wrote:
> Just wait. After the EU court has had its final say, there won't BE any
> devices with this setting (at least not in the EU). To remind you: in
> the past Microsoft changed its policies after some billion dollar fines...
EU is corrupt. Look at Macron who took bribes from Uber and some
officials at the EU were also bribed by Uber.

There is nothing anybody can do when multi-billionaires own this
planet!. Their argument is they are creating jobs so the politicians
will dance to their tune and take bribes.

What is required is some Open Source people to get together and go to
China and ask them to make custom designed PCs and Laptops for Linux and
the OS is pre-loaded from the factory. Sell these machines at just 15%
markup so that uptake can be fast and in big volume. I don't understand
why Canonical <https://canonical.com/#products> take the lead to sell
its own machines - desktops, laptops and servers.

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tan7c5$5mb5$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2299&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2299

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:45:08 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:45 UTC

Am 13.07.22 um 20:00 schrieb Albert Arkwright:
> On 12/07/2022 10:18, jjb wrote:
>> Just wait. After the EU court has had its final say, there won't BE any
>> devices with this setting (at least not in the EU). To remind you: in
>> the past Microsoft changed its policies after some billion dollar fines...
> EU is corrupt. Look at Macron who took bribes from Uber and some
> officials at the EU were also bribed by Uber.
>
> There is nothing anybody can do when multi-billionaires own this
> planet!. Their argument is they are creating jobs so the politicians
> will dance to their tune and take bribes.

Americans live in the stone-age. They are not entitled to discuss these
issues.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tana51$2f0hj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2300&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2300

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:32:33 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:32 UTC

On 7/13/22 12:45, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 13.07.22 um 20:00 schrieb Albert Arkwright:
>> On 12/07/2022 10:18, jjb wrote:
>>> Just wait. After the EU court has had its final say, there won't BE any
>>> devices with this setting (at least not in the EU). To remind you: in
>>> the past Microsoft changed its policies after some billion dollar fines...
>> EU is corrupt. Look at Macron who took bribes from Uber and some
>> officials at the EU were also bribed by Uber.
>>
>> There is nothing anybody can do when multi-billionaires own this
>> planet!. Their argument is they are creating jobs so the politicians
>> will dance to their tune and take bribes.
>
> Americans live in the stone-age. They are not entitled to discuss these
> issues.

Another Fascist who does not understand the importance of Freedom of
Speech. Who fails to comprehend the anarchic nature of
Usenet reality.
All Americans and Europeans are living in delusions that
they can use up the planet before it gets to hot to survive.
Do you even know what Stone Age means? If you did
you would not use it to disparage anyone.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
and a minor case of hypergraphia.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be

<tanaio$5o7r$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2301&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2301

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
than it should be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 22:39:52 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:39 UTC

Am 13.07.22 um 22:32 schrieb Bobbie Sellers:
> On 7/13/22 12:45, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 13.07.22 um 20:00 schrieb Albert Arkwright:
>>> There is nothing anybody can do when multi-billionaires own this
>>> planet!. Their argument is they are creating jobs so the politicians
>>> will dance to their tune and take bribes.
>>
>> Americans live in the stone-age. They are not entitled to discuss these
>> issues.
>>

> Another Fascist who does not understand the importance of Freedom of
> Speech. Who fails to comprehend the anarchic nature of
> Usenet reality.

You have no clue what you are talking about:

Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)