REST: P: Linus Torvalds S: Buried alive in email -- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS

computers / comp.periphs.printers / Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

SubjectAuthor
* Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?micky
+* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Marco Moock
|`- Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?R.Wieser
|`* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Carlos E.R.
| `* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Paul
|  `* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?R.Wieser
|   `* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Paul
|    `* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?R.Wieser
|     `* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Paul
|      `- Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?R.Wieser
+* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Char Jackson
|`* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Ken Blake
| `- Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Char Jackson
`* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Graham J
 `* Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Stuart
  `- Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?Carlos E.R.

1
Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<rqo4rh16l1qraa778lnt2a13qqcc7l6bnj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=212&group=comp.periphs.printers#212

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 00:21:51 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 05:21 UTC

Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

If I set a printer's network IP address, network mask, and Gateway and
mark it STATIC, does that make it less likely that the printer will
forget what the settings are? Less likely than if it was done with
AUTO/APIPA or DHCP?

(The previous thread was called "I can't print to my wireless printer",
and it starts at 11/1/2022 at 6:16am ET, but after all these years, I
still don't know if people are likely to see a new post in an old
thread. I am not likely to see it, but my version of Forte Agent is
from 2002. Since I save all the posts, a new post in an old thread will
be many, many pages up from the page I'm looking at this week.)

Anyhow it was subtitled "No wifi connection. " and was about my
wireless printer becoming disconected, but you guys, especially Graham
and Char, showed me how to fix it.

It happened again, and was harder to fix the second time. But I didn't
have to post again. I did have to use the full length instructions that
Graham gave. (The first time, abbreviating his instructions was enough.)

And it's happened a third time, but this time good fortune shone on me.

Brother has a program BRAdminLight. I wonder if it would work for other
printers or wireless networks in general. Probably not. See below**

Anyhow, I tried BRAdminLight the second time, but the printer was
totally off the network and didn't show up. This time it was listed
with some strange node name, and labeled Unconfigured. Right clicking
and clicking on Configure gave 5 methods for configuring, AUTO, STATIC,
DHCP, and a couple others.

Choosing Auto did not work, and if it had it probably woudl have
assigned the wrong numbers like the first time APIPA was used and I had
a problem.

But STATIC only required IP number, subnet mask, and gateway, and I
copied all 3 off the printout Graham had me make after following his
instructions.

And it worked, but more important, Now that it's set at Static, doesn't
that make it less likely it will lose track of what the settings should
be? I sort of thought that Auto, as good as it is, maybe re-autos
under certain circumstances. Or am I projecting from some webpages that
reload for no good reason?

*** I would think BRAdminLight would work with all printers and all
networks unless Brother went out of their way to require a Brother
printer. Yeah, I just remembered that I have another wireless printer
that didn't show up. I forgot it because I've only used once. I found
it on the sidewalk; it won't print and I couldn't fix it, but it scans
really nicely, has nice scan software to go with it. And I used it when
the Brother was off the network. It's an HP-Officejet-4630, and it does
not get listed by BRAdminLight. There is also BRAdmin-Pro but it seems
to have more than I would need and I haven't installed it.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tou0as$1mnmp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=213&group=comp.periphs.printers#213

Followup: comp.periphs.printers
From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 08:15:40 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 07:15 UTC

Am 02.01.2023 um 00:21:51 Uhr schrieb micky:

> If I set a printer's network IP address, network mask, and Gateway and
> mark it STATIC, does that make it less likely that the printer will
> forget what the settings are? Less likely than if it was done with
> AUTO/APIPA or DHCP?

You need to distinguish between IPv4 and IPv6.
IPv4 offers you static addressing. That means the address will be the
same - every time the interface comes up. DHCP means that there must be
a DHCPv4 server that give you an address. If no one is reachable, it
can use APIPA to create an address from 169.254.0.0/16, but your
computer also needs to know that this net is on the ethernet link.
I don't recommend APIPA.

For IPv6, the autoconfig exists and it will create a link-local address
from fe80::/64 automatically when the NIC comes up - no DHCP nor router
required. The autoconfig of the GUA is also normal - parallel to the
link-local address. Don't set IPv6 static until you have a fixed prefix
from your ISP.

PS: See Follow-UP to comp.periphs.printers!

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tou0m6$13ir$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=214&group=comp.periphs.printers#214

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 08:21:34 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 07:21 UTC

"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
> Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
>
> If I set a printer's network IP address, network mask, and Gateway
> and mark it STATIC, does that make it less likely that the printer
> will forget what the settings are? Less likely than if it was done
> with AUTO/APIPA or DHCP?

I think you're not asking the right question. Its not about that printer
forgetting its settings, but if its DHCP request (for an IP) is answered.
If not, than either it can't be part of the network, or APIPA kicks in and
loads a earlier provided "fall back" IP.

But yes, setting a static IP should result in the printer not "forgetting"
its IP settings.

> ... my version of Forte Agent is from 2002. Since I save all
> the posts, a new post in an old thread will be many, many pages
> up from the page I'm looking at this week.)

I'm still using Outlook Express 6. The above problem is why I have not set
it to display grouped by subject, but instead just show all messages in
chronological order. All I than have to do is to start at the message at
the top of the list and work my way down to the last read one.

The only reason I sometimes switch to grouped by subject is to see where the
parentof a certain message is. Alas, OE6 is not smart enough to remember
which message was selected when I switch over (and unfold the subtree and
hilite the same message in subject view), so its cumbersome. :-\

> *** I would think BRAdminLight would work with all printers and
> all networks unless Brother went out of their way to require a
> Brother printer.

If you talk to a person wearing headphones and he doesn't appear to listen
to you, would you than come to the conclusion that *you* "went out of their"
to be incompatible with them ? The same applies here.

It works because that Brother printer has got some extra software which
likely listens for some specific LAN broadcasts coming from that
BRAdminLight software.

IOW, its not that that BRAdminLight can't be used for other printers too,
but that those other printers simply do not listen to/for what BRAdminLight
tries to tell them.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<f545rhlqj3mmbiunggogq1je3abh5e312o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=215&group=comp.periphs.printers#215

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 02:18:11 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 08:18 UTC

On Mon, 02 Jan 2023 00:21:51 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

Yes.

>(The previous thread was called "I can't print to my wireless printer",
>and it starts at 11/1/2022 at 6:16am ET, but after all these years, I
>still don't know if people are likely to see a new post in an old
>thread. I am not likely to see it, but my version of Forte Agent is
>from 2002. Since I save all the posts, a new post in an old thread will
>be many, many pages up from the page I'm looking at this week.)

It's fine to save all messages, but be aware that your version of Agent
(v 1.93) has a "1 million" message maximum per group, IIRC. Agent 2.0
increases that to 8 million messages per group, I believe.

Regardless, saving all messages doesn't mean that you have to display
all messages. At the top of the Message List window, (the upper right
window), you should see a pair of binoculars. Just to the right of that
is your current Message View. It probably says "All Messages". Double or
triple click it and the view selector will open. Select "Unread
Messages" (or "Unread Messages with Bodies" if you don't automatically
download bodies for each message). Now you'll see only the Unread
messages, even the replies to really old threads, without having to
scroll through endless read messages. You can change the view back to
All Messages whenever you like, but that's not a very practical view.

As you read a message, it'll probably get marked as Read, since that's
the default behavior. It'll stay in your view until you click to another
group and come back, at which point it will be hidden.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<touer0$1o6bt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=216&group=comp.periphs.printers#216

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:23:09 +0000
 by: Graham J - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:23 UTC

micky wrote:
> Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
>
> If I set a printer's network IP address, network mask, and Gateway and
> mark it STATIC, does that make it less likely that the printer will
> forget what the settings are? Less likely than if it was done with
> AUTO/APIPA or DHCP?

In principle, yes.

The printer will almost certainly forget these if it is "factory reset".
It's unlikely this will happen by accident, but it's not impossible
that a brief power interruption could cause it. Some devices retain a
static IP despite a factory reset, or take on a different static IP
address specified by the manufacturer.

The problem with a static setting is that you have to keep a note of the
values you set, so that you don't issue the same IP address to another
device on your LAN.

The advantage of the automatic setting using DHCP is that the router
provides the printer with a sensible IP address. How sensible depends
on your router. Some routers can be configured to recognise the MAC
address and issue a specific IP address that you choose; others might
simply remember what IP address was previously issued to that device and
issue the same one.

The computer needs to know how to communicate with the printer. If it
uses TCP/IP then you must tell it the printer's IP when you
install/configure the driver. It might use a node name or other
proprietary mechanism to find the printer (as your BRAdminLight app
does). Each printer manufacturer may offer a different app to achieve this.

If I remember correctly I think the problem you had was that the printer
was unable to communicate with your router (i.e. the DHCP server) so
assumed an autoconfiguration IP address. Removing the unreliability of
WiFi is the only rational solution to this difficulty.

If you mix automatic and manual settings between different devices you
might run into problems when a manually configured device is powered
down, and the DHCP issues that device's IP address to something else.
Later, the manually set device is powered up and problems then arise.

In summary:

= The automatic settings ought to work, but when they don't you have to
understand every detail of the process to resolve the problem. "Black
Magic" solutions like "power everything off and back on" may appear to
work, but don't resolve wahtever underlying problem caused the failure
in the first place.

= The manual settings will work reliably but you need to understand
every detail in order to set everything correctly in the first place,
and keep proper notes.

So there's no substitute for having a thorough understanding of all the
details.

So here's a technical exercise: Suppose you bought a secondhand device
that you had seen working, but it doesn't work when connected (by wire)
to your LAN. What are all the possible things that could have gone
wrong, and how would you resolve the problem?

--
Graham J

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<q8ta8jxkrn.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=217&group=comp.periphs.printers#217

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 12:54:34 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:54 UTC

On 2023-01-02 08:15, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 02.01.2023 um 00:21:51 Uhr schrieb micky:

> PS: See Follow-UP to comp.periphs.printers!

Please don't.

Only the post initiator should be able to do this, and it is always a
risk, there can be people that are not subscribed to that selected forum
and who will not subscribe.

For example, myself.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<pata8jxkrn.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=218&group=comp.periphs.printers#218

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 12:55:37 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:55 UTC

On 2023-01-02 08:21, R.Wieser wrote:
> "micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>> Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
>>
>> If I set a printer's network IP address, network mask, and Gateway
>> and mark it STATIC, does that make it less likely that the printer
>> will forget what the settings are? Less likely than if it was done
>> with AUTO/APIPA or DHCP?
>
> I think you're not asking the right question. Its not about that printer
> forgetting its settings, but if its DHCP request (for an IP) is answered.
> If not, than either it can't be part of the network, or APIPA kicks in and
> loads a earlier provided "fall back" IP.
>
> But yes, setting a static IP should result in the printer not "forgetting"
> its IP settings.

Yes.

micky, please do set an static network at the physical printer.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<5a6074e201Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=219&group=comp.periphs.printers#219

From: Spambin@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 13:01:42 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Stuart - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 13:01 UTC

In article <touer0$1o6bt$1@dont-email.me>,
Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> The advantage of the automatic setting using DHCP is that the router
> provides the printer with a sensible IP address. How sensible depends
> on your router. Some routers can be configured to recognise the MAC
> address and issue a specific IP address that you choose

That is the system I use here. Everything on the network is given it's
same ip address every time

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<a23b8jx8s4.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=220&group=comp.periphs.printers#220

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 14:33:30 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 13:33 UTC

On 2023-01-02 14:01, Stuart wrote:
> In article <touer0$1o6bt$1@dont-email.me>,
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>> The advantage of the automatic setting using DHCP is that the router
>> provides the printer with a sensible IP address. How sensible depends
>> on your router. Some routers can be configured to recognise the MAC
>> address and issue a specific IP address that you choose
>
> That is the system I use here. Everything on the network is given it's
> same ip address every time

But the problem micky has, DHCP is not reliable in his setup; sometimes
his printer doesn't get an address, and switches to the backup protocol,
and the printer disappears in Windows.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<t7p5rhh0o220abqlp6e21vujiqddfr6a76@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=221&group=comp.periphs.printers#221

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 07:08:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 14:08 UTC

On Mon, 02 Jan 2023 02:18:11 -0600, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2023 00:21:51 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
>
>Yes.
>
>>(The previous thread was called "I can't print to my wireless printer",
>>and it starts at 11/1/2022 at 6:16am ET, but after all these years, I
>>still don't know if people are likely to see a new post in an old
>>thread. I am not likely to see it, but my version of Forte Agent is
>>from 2002. Since I save all the posts, a new post in an old thread will
>>be many, many pages up from the page I'm looking at this week.)
>
>It's fine to save all messages, but be aware that your version of Agent
>(v 1.93) has a "1 million" message maximum per group, IIRC. Agent 2.0
>increases that to 8 million messages per group, I believe.
>
>Regardless, saving all messages doesn't mean that you have to display
>all messages. At the top of the Message List window, (the upper right
>window), you should see a pair of binoculars. Just to the right of that
>is your current Message View. It probably says "All Messages". Double or
>triple click it and the view selector will open. Select "Unread
>Messages" (or "Unread Messages with Bodies" if you don't automatically
>download bodies for each message). Now you'll see only the Unread
>messages, even the replies to really old threads, without having to
>scroll through endless read messages. You can change the view back to
>All Messages whenever you like, but that's not a very practical view.

I agree, although there are clearly many others who don't, and like it
to be All Messages.

I keep mine set to Unread and Not Ignored.

>As you read a message, it'll probably get marked as Read, since that's
>the default behavior. It'll stay in your view until you click to another
>group and come back, at which point it will be hidden.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tous5u$1qheb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=222&group=comp.periphs.printers#222

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:10:54 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 15:10 UTC

On 1/2/2023 6:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-01-02 08:21, R.Wieser wrote:
>> "micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>>> Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
>>>
>>> If I set a printer's network IP address, network mask, and Gateway
>>> and mark it STATIC, does that make it less likely that the printer
>>> will forget what the settings are?   Less likely than if it was done
>>> with AUTO/APIPA or DHCP?
>>
>> I think you're not asking the right question.  Its not about that printer
>> forgetting its settings, but if its DHCP request (for an IP) is answered.
>> If not, than either it can't be part of the network, or APIPA kicks in and
>> loads a earlier provided "fall back" IP.
>>
>> But yes, setting a static IP should result in the printer not "forgetting"
>> its IP settings.
>

> Yes.
>
> micky, please do set an static network at the physical printer.

That used to be the more or less defacto advice long ago.

1) Set a DHCP range on the router, like 2..100 on the subnet.
2) Set the printer to a static value like 200, out of the way of the DHCP range.

And then they won't conflict in usage.

The netmask should be defined, such that all participants can see at
least 2..200 in the example.

You should not set the DHCP range, to exactly the number of computers,
because frequently you will forget some networking detail and mess it up.
Defining a larger range than is really needed, is a bit safer for
your peace of mind. For example, if I use virtual machines, those may
need a DHCP, as well as the main machine needing one.

Paul

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tout7m$1sts$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=223&group=comp.periphs.printers#223

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:28:47 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 15:28 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in message
> On 1/2/2023 6:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> micky, please do set an static network at the physical printer.
>
> That used to be the more or less defacto advice long ago.

Could you explain why it was the defacto advice for a printer, but (I
assume) not for computers ? What made up the difference ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<touv1m$1qsss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=224&group=comp.periphs.printers#224

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:59:49 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 15:59 UTC

On 1/2/2023 10:28 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 1/2/2023 6:55 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> micky, please do set an static network at the physical printer.
>>
>> That used to be the more or less defacto advice long ago.
>
> Could you explain why it was the defacto advice for a printer, but (I
> assume) not for computers ? What made up the difference ?
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Probably because network discovery didn't work properly.

If it had a fixed address, you had more options for
fiddling the HOSTS file and so on. Or sticking an IP
address in a dialog.

Dynamic addresses work fine, if the client computers
have a protocol to locate where the services are hiding.
There have been multiple attempts to do that.

When we worked on our OS at work, our service discovery
worked, and there was never a problem finding the printer.
My memory is so shot now, I can't remember how you sent
a print job on that. (No, it wasn't lpr.) We used to print
around 2000 sheets a day on our printer (four packs of paper).
We were print-crazed individuals back then. And that's
because of the state of graphics at the time.

Paul

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tov17b$1s46$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=225&group=comp.periphs.printers#225

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 17:36:50 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:36 UTC

> On 1/2/2023 10:28 AM, R.Wieser wrote:

>> Could you explain why it was the defacto advice for a printer, but (I
>> assume) not for computers ? What made up the difference ?
>
> Probably because network discovery didn't work properly.

That was the only thing I could think of myself and why I asked for the
difference between the two. IOW : Why the "for a printer" destinction and
not "for any networked device" ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tov3hp$1rbj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=226&group=comp.periphs.printers#226

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 12:16:41 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 17:16 UTC

On 1/2/2023 11:36 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 1/2/2023 10:28 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
>
>>> Could you explain why it was the defacto advice for a printer, but (I
>>> assume) not for computers ? What made up the difference ?
>>
>> Probably because network discovery didn't work properly.
>
> That was the only thing I could think of myself and why I asked for the
> difference between the two. IOW : Why the "for a printer" destinction and
> not "for any networked device" ?
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

I think the device types, have varied in their ability to work properly.

You would think that network discovery would be seamless, and the
devices would all behave the same and have the same reliability.
That's not my impression.

There have been so many failures of stuff to work over the years,
I'm not really in a position to offer odds on which thing was
"most broken". Stuff is still broken today (Win11 file sharing
being an example), and they never fix anything, just change the
broken symptom set. If you can't get networking to work
properly today, connect the cable from the Windows 11 machine last.
The network will come up, if the old OSes are allowed to browse
and elect, without the Win11 machine taking control and ruining things.

Paul

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<f176rhpa7hkkltk6fnq2kupkuqkv4k4nnf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=227&group=comp.periphs.printers#227

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 12:09:07 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 18:09 UTC

On Mon, 02 Jan 2023 07:08:55 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2023 02:18:11 -0600, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 02 Jan 2023 00:21:51 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?
>>
>>Yes.
>>
>>>(The previous thread was called "I can't print to my wireless printer",
>>>and it starts at 11/1/2022 at 6:16am ET, but after all these years, I
>>>still don't know if people are likely to see a new post in an old
>>>thread. I am not likely to see it, but my version of Forte Agent is
>>>from 2002. Since I save all the posts, a new post in an old thread will
>>>be many, many pages up from the page I'm looking at this week.)
>>
>>It's fine to save all messages, but be aware that your version of Agent
>>(v 1.93) has a "1 million" message maximum per group, IIRC. Agent 2.0
>>increases that to 8 million messages per group, I believe.
>>
>>Regardless, saving all messages doesn't mean that you have to display
>>all messages. At the top of the Message List window, (the upper right
>>window), you should see a pair of binoculars. Just to the right of that
>>is your current Message View. It probably says "All Messages". Double or
>>triple click it and the view selector will open. Select "Unread
>>Messages" (or "Unread Messages with Bodies" if you don't automatically
>>download bodies for each message). Now you'll see only the Unread
>>messages, even the replies to really old threads, without having to
>>scroll through endless read messages. You can change the view back to
>>All Messages whenever you like, but that's not a very practical view.
>
>I agree, although there are clearly many others who don't, and like it
>to be All Messages.
>
>I keep mine set to Unread and Not Ignored.

Yes, Unread and Not Ignored is a very practical view.

Over 20 years ago, in the early days of Forte Agent, we used to get
urgent requests from people who had been advised to change their message
view to one of the Unread variants, but then they'd panic when their
old/read messages 'disappeared'. Good times.

>>As you read a message, it'll probably get marked as Read, since that's
>>the default behavior. It'll stay in your view until you click to another
>>group and come back, at which point it will be hidden.

Re: Is a Static network connection more static than Auto?

<tov6r4$gou$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=228&group=comp.periphs.printers#228

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 19:12:45 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 18:12 UTC

>>> Probably because network discovery didn't work properly.
>>
>> That was the only thing I could think of myself and why I asked for the
>> difference between the two. IOW : Why the "for a printer" destinction
>> and
>> not "for any networked device" ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser
>
> I think the device types, have varied in their ability to work properly.

Again, thats the only thing I could come up myself too. Odd though, a
'puter working quite alright in that respect, but a printer failing to do
the same consistently enough to have caused that "just give it a static IP"
phrase.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser