From: anakin@pobox.com (Simon Tatham)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Subject: PuTTY 0.79 is released
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:44:50 +0100
Originator: simon@tunnel.thyestes.tartarus.org ([172.31.80.4])
 by: Simon Tatham - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 12:44 UTC

PuTTY version 0.79 is released
------------------------------

All the pre-built binaries, and the source code, are now available
from the PuTTY website at

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

This is mostly a bug-fix release: there are only minor new features in
0.79 compared to 0.78.

The most important bug fix:

- Windows installer: we've reset the installation scope to its normal
state. In 0.78 we switched it from 'machine-wide' to 'per-user', as
a workaround for a Windows security issue. That issue is now fixed,
so our install scope can go back to normal.

As a result, unfortunately, 0.79's installer will not automatically
uninstall 0.78, for the same reason that 0.78 didn't automatically
uninstall previous versions. We recommend uninstalling 0.78
manually first, if you have it installed.

We apologise for all the inconvenience this change caused everybody!

New features in this release:

- the MAC algorithm HMAC-SHA-512 is now supported in SSH.

- when the terminal is in mouse reporting mode (so that most mouse
actions go to the application running inside the terminal rather
than to PuTTY's copy and paste), we now support reporting mouse
motions without a button held down, so that the server can display
information about what you're hovering the pointer over. We also
support horizontal scroll events, if your input device can generate
them (for example, they can be configured in some trackpads).

Other bug fixes in this release include:

- OpenSSH certificate support now works with older versions of
OpenSSH (7.7 and earlier). Previously it only worked with OpenSSH
7.8 and later.

- if an SSH server uses the 'pre-authentication banner' feature of
SSH to explain why it's about to reject your authentication and
disconnect you, PuTTY should now reliably display that banner.
Previously it forgot about it as soon as it received the
disconnection.

- Various crashes and hangs in the terminal emulator relating to
failed attempts to resize the window or font. If the server tried
to send a control sequence to resize the window in Windows PuTTY
when you had window resizing completely disabled, terminal output
would hang; doing the same thing in Unix PuTTY if the window was
docked to the left or right half of the screen in KDE, or trying to
change the font size while the window was maximised, would cause a
crash.

- A potential crash using the Raw protocol, if you pressed ^D to send
EOF more than once (if the server didn't respond the first time by
closing its own side of the connection).

- The 'bell overload' timing settings in the Bell configuration pane
were misinterpreted in Unix PuTTY and pterm 0.77 and 0.78, leading
to errors of a factor of 1000. If you saved settings with 0.77 or
0.78, you might want to check your settings for time values such as
0.002 or 0.005 seconds which should be 2 or 5.

- Using PSFTP with the '-b' option and a batch script ending with the
'close' command would report failure, even if the entire script
succeeded.

- Windows Pageant's OpenSSH interoperation mode now works even if you
have a space in your user name.

Enjoy using PuTTY!

--
for k in [pow(x,37,0x1a1298d262b49c895d47f) for x in [0x50deb914257022de7fff,
0x213558f2215127d5a2d1, 0x90c99e86d08b91218630, 0x109f3d0cfbf640c0beee7,