Hoping to goodness is not theologically sound. - Peanuts

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi

SubjectAuthor
* Micro SD card not latching in PiBrian Jordan
+* Re: Micro SD card not latching in PiChris Newman
|+- Re: Micro SD card not latching in PiChris Hughes
|`- Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pidruck
`* Re: Micro SD card not latching in Picharles
 `- Re: Micro SD card not latching in PiBrian Jordan

1
Micro SD card not latching in Pi

<59f2c5edefbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2194&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2194

Followup: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: brian.jordan9@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc,comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Micro SD card not latching in Pi
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 14:24:34 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 13:24 UTC

My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior indication
that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC OS Micro SD
card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to re-latch it
would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be writing this, but
it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than repair.
I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 (16-Dec-20) on Raspberry Pi

Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi

<59f2ceb1afcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2195&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2195

From: cvjazz@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 16:00:15 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:00 UTC

In article <59f2c5edefbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>, Brian Jordan
<brian.jordan9@btinternet.com> wrote:
> My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior
> indication that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC
> OS Micro SD card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to
> re-latch it would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be
> writing this, but it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than
> repair. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Which model/flavour of Pi?

--
Chris Newman

Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi

<3762d1f259.chris@mytardis>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2196&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2196

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 16:29:37 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:29 UTC

In message <59f2ceb1afcvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <59f2c5edefbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>, Brian Jordan
> <brian.jordan9@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior
>> indication that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC
>> OS Micro SD card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to
>> re-latch it would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be
>> writing this, but it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than
>> repair. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

> Which model/flavour of Pi?

I have heard of the issue, and various workaround people used.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi

<t7duq4$fhp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2197&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2197

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 22:34:58 +0100
 by: druck - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 21:34 UTC

On 03/06/2022 16:00, Chris Newman wrote:
> In article <59f2c5edefbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>, Brian Jordan
> <brian.jordan9@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior
>> indication that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC
>> OS Micro SD card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to
>> re-latch it would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be
>> writing this, but it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than
>> repair. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.
>
> Which model/flavour of Pi?

I assume it's one of the earlier Pi's with the sprung SD card "launch
and lose" system, which is why they no longer use it in more recent models.

It should not be possible for the card to fail to latch in an unsprung
slot, unless some foreign object is in there.

---druck

Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi

<5a11b984a3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2245&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2245

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 16:51:14 +0100
 by: charles - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 15:51 UTC

In article <59f2c5edefbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>,
Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9@btinternet.com> wrote:
> My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior indication
> that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC OS Micro SD
> card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt to re-latch it
> would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't be writing this, but
> it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge than repair.
> I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Gaffer tape? It cures many problems.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Micro SD card not latching in Pi

<5a11c9abfabrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2246&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2246

From: brian.jordan9@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 19:47:40 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 18:47 UTC

In article <5a11b984a3charles@candehope.me.uk>,
charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <59f2c5edefbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>,
> Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > My Pi stopped working today! Quite suddenly and with no prior
> > indication that anything was wrong. On investigation I found the RISC
> > OS Micro SD card wasn't latched into its holder and that no attempt
> > to re-latch it would work. Obviously there was a fix, or I wouldn't
> > be writing this, but it isn't pretty - better described as a bodge
> > than repair. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

> Gaffer tape? It cures many problems.

The aforementioned bodge is exactly that.