186,000 Miles per Second. It's not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Installing additional older version of a program

SubjectAuthor
* Installing additional older version of a programme
+- Re: Installing additional older version of a programAlbert Arkwright
+* Re: Installing additional older version of a programBobbie Sellers
|+- Re: Installing additional older version of a programPaul
|`- Re: Installing additional older version of a programMark Lloyd
+- Re: Installing additional older version of a programstepore
`* Re: Installing additional older version of a programAnssi Saari
 `* Re: Installing additional older version of a programme
  +- Re: Installing additional older version of a programMike Easter
  +- Re: Installing additional older version of a programPaul
  `- Re: Installing additional older version of a programMark Lloyd

1
Installing additional older version of a program

<ta4shu$1oqg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2242&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2242

From: me@privacy.net
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Installing additional older version of a program
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 22:50:06 +0200
 by: me@privacy.net - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 20:50 UTC

I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with
dpkg, which of course complains that a newer version is already
installed. Is there a way to install an older version parallel to
the current one so that files of the current version do not get
overwritten?

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<ta4tne$7gr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2243&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2243

From: Albert.Arkwright@gmail.com (Albert Arkwright)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 22:07:49 +0100
 by: Albert Arkwright - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 21:07 UTC

On 06/07/2022 21:50, me@privacy.net wrote:
> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
> beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg,
> which of course complains that a newer version is already installed.
> Is there a way to install an older version parallel to the current one
> so that files of the current version do not get overwritten?
Don't waste your time. VirtualBox is not designed for multiple versions
installation. You can have only one Virtual system at any one time. I
believe this is Operating System restriction.

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<ta4u0p$4maf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2244&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2244

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 14:15:05 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 21:15 UTC

On 7/6/22 13:50, me@privacy.net wrote:
> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5 beside
> it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg, which of
> course complains that a newer version is already installed. Is there a
> way to install an older version parallel to the current one so that
> files of the current version do not get overwritten?

Well you could install a copy of Ubuntu to VirtualBox or other similar
emulator and may be able to run the earlier version of VB from there.
You will need a faster computer with larger memory in Ram and on
disk to do this sort of thing. But the newer machines have more than
4 cores and handle up to 32 GB of memory. I personally think that this
would be a waste of money and time. Upgrades to programs like
VirtualBox plug secuity holes so you would be adding to insecurity.

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<ta55gs$rdu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2245&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2245

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 19:23:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 23:23 UTC

On 7/6/2022 5:15 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 7/6/22 13:50, me@privacy.net wrote:
>> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5 beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg, which of course complains that a newer version is already installed. Is there a way to install an older version parallel to the current one so that files of the current version do not get overwritten?
>
>     Well you could install a copy of Ubuntu to VirtualBox or other similar emulator and may be able to run the earlier version of VB from there. You will need a faster computer with larger memory in Ram and on
> disk to do this sort of thing.   But the newer machines have more than
> 4 cores and handle up to 32 GB of memory.  I personally think that this would be a waste of money and time.  Upgrades to programs like VirtualBox plug secuity holes so you would be adding to insecurity.
>
>     bliss

That's called "nesting", and is an advanced topic.

(Currently this web page has a rendering problem, so
I have to use an archived copy.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200929050138/https://ostechnix.com/how-to-enable-nested-virtualization-in-virtualbox/

Rather than a more-fancy computer, I think
I'd want a 4K monitor while testing. The little CPU
I've got is a Zen3, so the recipe would probably work,
but my screen is too small for this.

I would expect there are a ton of challenges, after
you've done all the recipe steps. It's not a given
that it will be 100% functional (on the first day).

It would be a lot faster to install two Ubuntus
and put VBOX5 in one and VBOX6 in the other.
And reboot, to switch between their usage. Getting
one level of virtualization to work, is enough
of a challenge (not everyone gets USB passthru
to work). I'm sure Nesting will cause hair loss,
when you try to get the networking operational.

Generally speaking ("safest option"), you cannot
run two hosting softwares concurrently on the host.
You can only run one at a time, so booting over is
just fine as a solution. For example, I could
run aqemu for a while, quit it, then run vmm next,
but not both of them at the same time. It's just not
a good idea.

Paul

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<ta5gib$9aka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2246&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2246

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 19:31:37 -0700
 by: stepore - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 02:31 UTC

On 7/6/22 13:50, me@privacy.net wrote:
> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
> beside it.

Why?

But if you must have two, why not use KVM as your second hyperivsor.
It's better anyway. :)

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<sm0r12xl5m9.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2247&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2247

From: as@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 10:54:54 +0300
sha1:qKO+4ohlxNwz16slTjsY5nHYfIw=
 by: Anssi Saari - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 07:54 UTC

me@privacy.net writes:

> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
> beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg,
> which of course complains that a newer version is already
> installed. Is there a way to install an older version parallel to the
> current one so that files of the current version do not get
> overwritten?

You can at least extract the package to an alternate directory with
dpkg-deb -x. That isn't an installation but you might be able to run old
VirtualBox and doing that won't overwrite the system provided
VirtualBox.

Another problem is, VirtualBox uses some device drivers e.g. for file
and clipboard sharing between host and guests. I have no idea if those
are in any way compatible between VirtualBox versions and if not, you'll
need to be able to build the drivers manually and manually unload and
load the drivers for the version you're going to need.

So, it's maybe doable, not sure it's worth the effort. No idea why you'd
want to do this, maybe explain?

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<kTDxK.474913$JVi.356907@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2248&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2248

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 11:31:06 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 16:31 UTC

On 7/6/22 16:15, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 7/6/22 13:50, me@privacy.net wrote:
>> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
>> beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg,
>> which of course complains that a newer version is already installed.
>> Is there a way to install an older version parallel to the current one
>> so that files of the current version do not get overwritten?
>
>     Well you could install a copy of Ubuntu to VirtualBox or other
> similar emulator and may be able to run the earlier version of VB from
> there. You will need a faster computer with larger memory in Ram and on
> disk to do this sort of thing.   But the newer machines have more than
> 4 cores and handle up to 32 GB of memory.

I have 48 GB in the machine I bought last year. Its supposed to be able
to handle up to 128 GB.

Memory is important for VMs. Also, disk speed. My VM speed got much more
reasonable when I switched to NVMe.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of
God as a supernatural being is enormous." [Julian Huxley]

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<taf62n$e8e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2263&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2263

From: me@privacy.net
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 20:33:49 +0200
 by: me@privacy.net - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 18:33 UTC

Anssi Saari wrote:
> me@privacy.net writes:
>
>> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
>> beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg,
>> which of course complains that a newer version is already
>> installed. Is there a way to install an older version parallel to the
>> current one so that files of the current version do not get
>> overwritten?
>
> You can at least extract the package to an alternate directory with
> dpkg-deb -x. That isn't an installation but you might be able to run old
> VirtualBox and doing that won't overwrite the system provided
> VirtualBox.
>
> Another problem is, VirtualBox uses some device drivers e.g. for file
> and clipboard sharing between host and guests. I have no idea if those
> are in any way compatible between VirtualBox versions and if not, you'll
> need to be able to build the drivers manually and manually unload and
> load the drivers for the version you're going to need.
>
> So, it's maybe doable, not sure it's worth the effort. No idea why you'd
> want to do this, maybe explain?

I want to run unsupported systems like Windows 9x that could be
installed in ver. 5 but cannot in ver. 6. I hoped someone before
me already had this idea and a solution for the problem.

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<jj0o33Fje9pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2264&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2264

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 12:37:06 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 19:37 UTC

me@privacy.net wrote:
> I want to run unsupported systems like Windows 9x that could be
> installed in ver. 5 but cannot in ver. 6. I hoped someone before me
> already had this idea and a solution for the problem.

For my own reasons, I run lots of .iso/s live under Ventoy USB but don't VM.

So... if I were going to run such as W98se, I would run the .iso live
under Ventoy USB.

In the future I'm going to use a Ventoy SSD instead of USB.

I looked around to see if there were W98se available. I don't know if
this is a good site and I haven't tried the .iso:

https://archive.org/details/windows-98-se-isofile

--
Mike Easter

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<tafbcu$hn5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2265&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2265

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 16:04:45 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 20:04 UTC

On 7/10/2022 2:33 PM, me@privacy.net wrote:
> Anssi Saari wrote:
>> me@privacy.net writes:
>>
>>> I have VirtualBox 6 in usage, however I'd like to install ver. 5
>>> beside it. I downloaded the program and tried to install it with dpkg,
>>> which of course complains that a newer version is already
>>> installed. Is there a way to install an older version parallel to the
>>> current one so that files of the current version do not get
>>> overwritten?
>>
>> You can at least extract the package to an alternate directory with
>> dpkg-deb -x. That isn't an installation but you might be able to run old
>> VirtualBox and doing that won't overwrite the system provided
>> VirtualBox.
>>
>> Another problem is, VirtualBox uses some device drivers e.g. for file
>> and clipboard sharing between host and guests. I have no idea if those
>> are in any way compatible between VirtualBox versions and if not, you'll
>> need to be able to build the drivers manually and manually unload and
>> load the drivers for the version you're going to need.
>>
>> So, it's maybe doable, not sure it's worth the effort. No idea why you'd
>> want to do this, maybe explain?
>
> I want to run unsupported systems like Windows 9x that could be installed
> in ver. 5 but cannot in ver. 6. I hoped someone before me already had this
> idea and a solution for the problem.

Do some of the choices in the menu not work ?

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/L8XrdPNP/vbox6-OS-menu.gif

It lists all the way back to Win3.1 on VBox6.

You can tune some of the options, to be more historically correct.
An old OS would appreciate seeing four IDE devices on ribbon
cables. Rather than an offering of SATA ports necessarily.
The IDE ports would be mapped to interrupt 14 and interrupt 15
or something.

When I compare the OS menu in VBox 5 to 6 in the Windows
section, it's just new items added at the bottom.

The graphics choices could make a difference. Maybe that's
a contributing factor.

One thing I can tell you, is I made the mistake the first
time I used VBox, of changing settings :-) And my first
OS install black screened in the Guest. That's when I
realized the settings were not amenable to random adjustment.

Paul

Re: Installing additional older version of a program

<EdJyK.468606$5fVf.146689@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2266&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2266

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 18:25:21 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 23:25 UTC

On 7/10/22 13:33, me@privacy.net wrote:
> Anssi Saari wrote:

[snip]

> I want to run unsupported systems like Windows 9x that could be
> installed in ver. 5 but cannot in ver. 6. I hoped someone before me
> already had this idea and a solution for the problem.

I have VirtualBox 6.1 here. When I start to create a new VM there are
options for Windows 3.1 and 9x (95, 98, ME).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
things, that takes religion."

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Installing additional older version of a program