From: jetjock@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Deleting and replacing video drivers?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 10:56:40 -0500
 by: jetjock - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:56 UTC

Once more into Brother-in-Law's computer.

We downloaded a driver from Dell's Website that was supposed to be for
his monitor (E173EFPf) and installed it. Video is working but it
doesn't support Sleep state S1, S2 & S3.

When I type powercfg /a in the command prompt I get this message.

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent
this standby state:
VgaSave
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent
this standby state:
VgaSave
Standby (S3)
There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent
this standby state:
VgaSave
Hibernate
There are one or more legacy drivers installed:
VgaSave
Hybrid Sleep

I'm not positive that this is the exact wording but the gist of it was
that the VGA driver didn't support those states. Therefore, the
"Sleep" option is grayed out under shutdown options.

My questions are how to remove that driver and let Windows load a
driver that supports the 3 sleep states? If I uninstall it from
Device Manager won't I loose the monitor and not be able to see
anything? If I do, can I just hit the Windows key, right arrow twice
and hit "R" to restart, and if I do this, will Windows then load a new
driver, or just reload the Dell driver that was there?

Any suggestions as to how to reinstate the sleep states would be
appreciated. He said Sleep was there before we had to replace the
drive and reinstall Windows, so evidently there is a video driver for
his monitor that does so.

Re: Deleting and replacing video drivers?

<sfgvgf$j05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2211&group=alt.windows7.general#2211

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Deleting and replacing video drivers?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:34:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:34 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> Once more into Brother-in-Law's computer.
>
> We downloaded a driver from Dell's Website that was supposed to be for
> his monitor (E173EFPf) and installed it. Video is working but it
> doesn't support Sleep state S1, S2 & S3.
>
> When I type powercfg /a in the command prompt I get this message.
>
> The following sleep states are not available on this system:
> Standby (S1)
> The system firmware does not support this standby state.
> There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent
> this standby state:
> VgaSave
> Standby (S2)
> The system firmware does not support this standby state.
> There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent
> this standby state:
> VgaSave
> Standby (S3)
> There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent
> this standby state:
> VgaSave
> Hibernate
> There are one or more legacy drivers installed:
> VgaSave
> Hybrid Sleep
>
> I'm not positive that this is the exact wording but the gist of it was
> that the VGA driver didn't support those states. Therefore, the
> "Sleep" option is grayed out under shutdown options.
>
> My questions are how to remove that driver and let Windows load a
> driver that supports the 3 sleep states? If I uninstall it from
> Device Manager won't I loose the monitor and not be able to see
> anything? If I do, can I just hit the Windows key, right arrow twice
> and hit "R" to restart, and if I do this, will Windows then load a new
> driver, or just reload the Dell driver that was there?
>
> Any suggestions as to how to reinstate the sleep states would be
> appreciated. He said Sleep was there before we had to replace the
> drive and reinstall Windows, so evidently there is a video driver for
> his monitor that does so.

In Device Manager ("devmgmt.msc"), under Display Adapters, it might
mention Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. That's the fallback Microsoft
driver that runs graphics when the proprietary driver isn't installed yet (Intel).

video card ----+ Display Adapters : Intel <=== DirectX, OpenGL, ...

LCD monitor ---+ Monitors : Generic Display Adapter <=== Provides .ics colormap file.
Mostly decorative, names mon

The monitor has a serial link in it, which the video card reads.
The video card then has a table for working out resolution choices.

In that sense, a driver is not necessary to configure the
monitor, because the video card has pulled the table already.

The monitor driver doesn't have a DLL and should not affect
sleep states particularly.

The Intel/AMD/NVidia driver for graphics on the laptop, that
has many many DLLs and can have sleep state issues (warm driver state).
When a computer comes out of low-power sleep, the register set
in the GPU needs to be refreshed. It is support for such a state,
that can have the ACPI subsystem claiming the states are missing.

The VGASave/VESA/BasicDisplayAdapter driver, relies on the frame
buffer being at a well-known address (alias), and being a frame
buffer, you're writing pixels into it.

In this example, the poster struggles with this, because the
OEM computer site has Win7 drivers and he is installing WinXP
apparently. And his helper dredges up a driver off the Intel
site for WinXP, since the OEM computer maker doesn't list one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-vgasave-driver.1031838/

In Device Manager, there is an Update Driver thing. And one of the
options is to search Windows Update for a driver. That's one
way to do it.

"Search Automatically for updated driver software"

You could try that. Device Manager also has the option
for "one level rollback". If you didn't like the Intel
driver, you could go back to Device Manager again
and in Properties : Driver is a "Rollback Driver" button.
With the VGASave, there is no previous driver, and you've
hit rock bottom, so the Rollback button should be
grayed out at the moment.

On a WinXP install, we would be checking the "Computer" entry
for an ACPI entry. Modern OSes only install in ACPI power management
mode and not APM like Win98. In WinXP we might struggle with
ACPI multiprocessor versus ACPI uniprocessor (a relatively
simple state change). There's no struggling like that in
Windows 7. You can look there if you want, just to verify
that nothing is amiss.

ACPI x64-based PC <=== doesn't even mention multiprocessor any more

The BIOS can have a setting that chooses between
supporting just S1 or S1+S3 and the latter is desired.
Since your report from the software, concludes even
S1 is missing, then something worse than the BIOS setting
is happening.

Older (really old) computers can have an "ACPI 2.0" BIOS setting
and why that's not the default is a mystery. If that isn't
enabled, ACPI might be ACPI 1.1, a moth eaten mess. On those
older computers, the BIOS needs:

ACPI 2.0 Yes
Standby S1+S3

is about the best you can do, and everything should be
sleeping like a baby if so. Now you install your
Intel video driver for the Intel GPU or whatever,
and the report on power should be clean. There can still
be messing around in Windows to get "Sleep" and "Hibernate"
to appear. Which is S3 Sleep and S4 Hibernate.

driver over top of it. If you later uninstall the Intel
driver or you use the rollback feature in DevMgmt, then
the VGASave driver covers your ass in the interim. There
must always be some driver, and the driver you have now
is rock bottom, so you install the Intel to take its place.

Paul

Re: Deleting and replacing video drivers?

<q0aohgdp06tbmdcjpmsu9eb5ncfjhpocdd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2212&group=alt.windows7.general#2212

From: jetjock@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:01:47 -0500
 by: jetjock - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 22:01 UTC

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:34:54 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>and why that's not the default is a mystery. If that isn't
>enabled, ACPI might be ACPI 1.1, a moth eaten mess. On those
>older computers, the BIOS needs:
>
> ACPI 2.0 Yes
> Standby S1+S3
>
>is about the best you can do, and everything should be
>sleeping like a baby if so. Now you install your
>Intel video driver for the Intel GPU or whatever,
>and the report on power should be clean. There can still
>be messing around in Windows to get "Sleep" and "Hibernate"
>to appear. Which is S3 Sleep and S4 Hibernate.

> driver over top of it. If you later uninstall the Intel
> driver or you use the rollback feature in DevMgmt, then
> the VGASave driver covers your ass in the interim. There
> must always be some driver, and the driver you have now
> is rock bottom, so you install the Intel to take its place.

I downloaded Win64_152824.exe from Techspot.com. If you have a minute
would you please check if that is the right driver for an i3 2120
Intel Chip.
(https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17729/)

Thank you once more for being there when I need you.

Re: Deleting and replacing video drivers?

<sfhl8h$hg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2213&group=alt.windows7.general#2213

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 20:46:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 00:46 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> [...]
>> sleeping like a baby if so. Now you install your
>> Intel video driver for the Intel GPU or whatever,
>> and the report on power should be clean. There can still
>> be messing around in Windows to get "Sleep" and "Hibernate"
>> to appear. Which is S3 Sleep and S4 Hibernate.

>> driver over top of it. If you later uninstall the Intel
>> driver or you use the rollback feature in DevMgmt, then
>> the VGASave driver covers your ass in the interim. There
>> must always be some driver, and the driver you have now
>> is rock bottom, so you install the Intel to take its place.
>
> I downloaded Win64_152824.exe from Techspot.com. If you have a minute
> would you please check if that is the right driver for an i3 2120
> Intel Chip.
> (https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17729/)
>
> Thank you once more for being there when I need you.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/53426/intel-core-i3-2120-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

2C 4T, 3.30 GHz, 65 W

Products formerly Sandy Bridge
Launch Date Q1'11

Intel HD Graphics 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

2nd generation = Sandy Bridge microarchitecture

Looks good. (Compared to the contents of README.txt I can see inside the
EXE, using 7ZIP to burrow in.)

And the filename is traceable back to here.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17608/24970/intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-15-28.html

It used to be "downloadfinder" or "downloadcenter" as a
naming convention, instead of the www part.

Good detective work on your part. Searching the Intel
site isn't always lots of fun.

You still have to decide whether the OS install is
32-bit or 64-bit, before selecting a download file.

Paul

Re: Deleting and replacing video drivers?

<3m6qhgtbsvupd9b33f1oabpefic2af9lcv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2214&group=alt.windows7.general#2214

From: jetjock@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:38:20 -0500
 by: jetjock - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:38 UTC

Click here to read the complete article