For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

computers / alt.windows7.general / Any Chance For Win 7

SubjectAuthor
* Any Chance For Win 7Barney
+* Re: Any Chance For Win 7Sailfish
|`* Re: Any Chance For Win 7Barney
| `- Re: Any Chance For Win 7gfretwell
+* Re: Any Chance For Win 7JJ
|`* Re: Any Chance For Win 7gfretwell
| `* Re: Any Chance For Win 7Mayayana
|  `* Re: Any Chance For Win 7gfretwell
|   `- Re: Any Chance For Win 7JJ
`- Re: Any Chance For Win 7Ant

1
Any Chance For Win 7

<sf67oe$q9h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2190&group=alt.windows7.general#2190

From: Barney@Barney.com (Barney)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Any Chance For Win 7
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:48:49 -0700
 by: Barney - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 16:48 UTC

I must get a desktop running under Win 7 Pro.

If I buy a new desktop, will I be able to install a Win 7 Pro HDD (from
my dead desktop) and get it to run?

Leaving out the Win ?? that came with the new desktop to gather dust.

I need the features of Win 7 Pro that have been abandoned in the recent
MS OS screw overs !

What should I look for in a new desktop ?
What should I avoid in a new desktop ?

Is there some website that can help me with this ?

Thank you !

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<sf6aho$uee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2191&group=alt.windows7.general#2191

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Any Chance For Win 7
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 10:35:52 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 17:35 UTC

Barney graced us with on 8/13/2021 9:48 AM:
> I must get a desktop running under Win 7 Pro.
>
> If I buy a new desktop, will I be able to install a Win 7 Pro HDD (from
> my dead desktop) and get it to run?
>
> Leaving out the Win ?? that came with the new desktop to gather dust.
>
> I need the features of Win 7 Pro that have been abandoned in the recent
> MS OS screw overs !
>
> What should I look for in a new desktop ?
> What should I avoid in a new desktop ?
>
> Is there some website that can help me with this ?

There's a couple of options available to you but first it is important
to understand what you intend the system for, e.g, browsing, MS Office
apps, video editing, gaming (if so, type of game and video resolution
needed)?

Most newer Win10+ computers have motherboard and other hardware that
require drivers from the manufacturers to work that generally aren't
compatible with Win7. However, if your Win7 workload doesn't require the
performance of video-editing or hi-res gaming, you could purchase a
Win10 machine and load a free virtual system on it like Oracle's Virtual
Box and install Win7 on it.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<sf6bsh$pkp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2192&group=alt.windows7.general#2192

From: Barney@NoSpam.com (Barney)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 10:58:40 -0700
 by: Barney - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 17:58 UTC

I need to run, among other things, Windows Media Center as I have many
educational videos I need access to with the directory info that WMC
provides.

No games !

Sailfish wrote:
> Barney graced us with on 8/13/2021 9:48 AM:
>> I must get a desktop running under Win 7 Pro.
>>
>> If I buy a new desktop, will I be able to install a Win 7 Pro HDD
>> (from my dead desktop) and get it to run?
>>
>> Leaving out the Win ?? that came with the new desktop to gather dust.
>>
>> I need the features of Win 7 Pro that have been abandoned in the
>> recent MS OS screw overs !
>>
>> What should I look for in a new desktop ?
>> What should I avoid in a new desktop ?
>>
>> Is there some website that can help me with this ?
>>
> There's a couple of options available to you but first it is important
> to understand what you intend the system for, e.g, browsing, MS Office
> apps, video editing, gaming (if so, type of game and video resolution
> needed)?
>
> Most newer Win10+ computers have motherboard and other hardware that
> require drivers from the manufacturers to work that generally aren't
> compatible with Win7. However, if your Win7 workload doesn't require the
> performance of video-editing or hi-res gaming, you could purchase a
> Win10 machine and load a free virtual system on it like Oracle's Virtual
> Box and install Win7 on it.

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<rqbehgtp28tf99mig15r6h9nupikm3i9dp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2195&group=alt.windows7.general#2195

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 22:50:42 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 02:50 UTC

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 10:58:40 -0700, Barney <Barney@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>I need to run, among other things, Windows Media Center as I have many
>educational videos I need access to with the directory info that WMC
>provides.
>
>No games !
>

>Sailfish wrote:
>> Barney graced us with on 8/13/2021 9:48 AM:
>>> I must get a desktop running under Win 7 Pro.
>>>
>>> If I buy a new desktop, will I be able to install a Win 7 Pro HDD
>>> (from my dead desktop) and get it to run?
>>>
>>> Leaving out the Win ?? that came with the new desktop to gather dust.
>>>
>>> I need the features of Win 7 Pro that have been abandoned in the
>>> recent MS OS screw overs !
>>>
>>> What should I look for in a new desktop ?
>>> What should I avoid in a new desktop ?
>>>
>>> Is there some website that can help me with this ?
>>>
>> There's a couple of options available to you but first it is important
>> to understand what you intend the system for, e.g, browsing, MS Office
>> apps, video editing, gaming (if so, type of game and video resolution
>> needed)?
>>
>> Most newer Win10+ computers have motherboard and other hardware that
>> require drivers from the manufacturers to work that generally aren't
>> compatible with Win7. However, if your Win7 workload doesn't require the
>> performance of video-editing or hi-res gaming, you could purchase a
>> Win10 machine and load a free virtual system on it like Oracle's Virtual
>> Box and install Win7 on it.

The only trick is finding drivers for your chipset.

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<1kw3co7oa5vfc.gmsip6zs8hs9$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2196&group=alt.windows7.general#2196

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 19:42:03 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 12:42 UTC

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:48:49 -0700, Barney wrote:
> I must get a desktop running under Win 7 Pro.
>
> If I buy a new desktop, will I be able to install a Win 7 Pro HDD (from
> my dead desktop) and get it to run?
>
> Leaving out the Win ?? that came with the new desktop to gather dust.
>
> I need the features of Win 7 Pro that have been abandoned in the recent
> MS OS screw overs !
>
> What should I look for in a new desktop ?
> What should I avoid in a new desktop ?
>
> Is there some website that can help me with this ?
>
> Thank you !

Make a list of all of the candidates that you've already chosen.

Find out their specifications such as brand and models of the motherboard,
and for any additional components such as video card, network card.

For each of them, find the driver for Windows 7 in their
official/manufacturer website.

If any of them no longer provide a driver for Windows 7, or no longer listed
in their official/manufacturer website, remove them from the candidate list.

For the motherboard, it should contains the drivers for the chipset (based
on motherboard brand and model, which is usually Intel, but can also be AMD,
or VIA), on-board audio chip (usually Realtek), and/or on-board network chip
(usually also Realtek). Make sure all of them are available for Windows 7.

Note: you may get only the older driver versions. This is fine, since some
hardware manufacturer no longer support Windows 7. Abbeit old driver, they
usually have gone through numerous updates. So, most of them are stable
enough already.

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<uajfhgt1grmarr9lkprodo669nk9p9v099@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2197&group=alt.windows7.general#2197

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 10:07:01 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 14:07 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 19:42:03 +0700, JJ <jj4public@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:48:49 -0700, Barney wrote:
>> I must get a desktop running under Win 7 Pro.
>>
>> If I buy a new desktop, will I be able to install a Win 7 Pro HDD (from
>> my dead desktop) and get it to run?
>>
>> Leaving out the Win ?? that came with the new desktop to gather dust.
>>
>> I need the features of Win 7 Pro that have been abandoned in the recent
>> MS OS screw overs !
>>
>> What should I look for in a new desktop ?
>> What should I avoid in a new desktop ?
>>
>> Is there some website that can help me with this ?
>>
>> Thank you !
>
>Make a list of all of the candidates that you've already chosen.
>
>Find out their specifications such as brand and models of the motherboard,
>and for any additional components such as video card, network card.
>
>For each of them, find the driver for Windows 7 in their
>official/manufacturer website.
>
>If any of them no longer provide a driver for Windows 7, or no longer listed
>in their official/manufacturer website, remove them from the candidate list.
>
>For the motherboard, it should contains the drivers for the chipset (based
>on motherboard brand and model, which is usually Intel, but can also be AMD,
>or VIA), on-board audio chip (usually Realtek), and/or on-board network chip
>(usually also Realtek). Make sure all of them are available for Windows 7.
>
>Note: you may get only the older driver versions. This is fine, since some
>hardware manufacturer no longer support Windows 7. Abbeit old driver, they
>usually have gone through numerous updates. So, most of them are stable
>enough already.

I am not really building machines these days but when I was I found
you can get drivers from other manufacturer sites if you know what
chip set you are dealing with. Dell used to be a great resource for
drivers for obscure stuff but I haven't looked lately. Board
manufacturers are seldom the actual builders of the chip sets.

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<3pudnSzgU4eLSIr8nZ2dnUU7-W2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2198&group=alt.windows7.general#2198

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 09:37:10 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 14:37 UTC

New desktop? Like a never used decade old PC? Sure. Not new PCs from stores these days.

--
Slammy times! 2021 is repeating 2020. :( Please get your vaccine shot(s) if you haven't done so! :)
| |o o| |

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<sf8tgt$ev6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2201&group=alt.windows7.general#2201

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:10:55 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 17:10 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote

| I am not really building machines these days but when I was I found
| you can get drivers from other manufacturer sites if you know what
| chip set you are dealing with. Dell used to be a great resource for
| drivers for obscure stuff but I haven't looked lately. Board
| manufacturers are seldom the actual builders of the chip sets.

I think there are two different issues there. As JJ describes,
you have to make sure there's any driver for Win7.

Then there's
also the problem you describe. Some companies just can't be
bothered. For instance, I think it was an Asus board I had that
didn't have XP drivers, even though it supposedly supported XP.
Asus just said they didn't support XP for the chipset. After some
searching I figured out that the chipset drivers were from Via,
and Via were very nice about it. They had one download, which
they explained was the driver kit for all systems. So Asus were
actually going out of their way to block XP chipset support!

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<hhbghglnl4vebcbfpg7nkpdnfj6q7f0qjk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2202&group=alt.windows7.general#2202

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 17:01:27 -0400
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 21:01 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:10:55 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

><gfretwell@aol.com> wrote
>
>| I am not really building machines these days but when I was I found
>| you can get drivers from other manufacturer sites if you know what
>| chip set you are dealing with. Dell used to be a great resource for
>| drivers for obscure stuff but I haven't looked lately. Board
>| manufacturers are seldom the actual builders of the chip sets.
>
> I think there are two different issues there. As JJ describes,
>you have to make sure there's any driver for Win7.
>
> Then there's
>also the problem you describe. Some companies just can't be
>bothered. For instance, I think it was an Asus board I had that
>didn't have XP drivers, even though it supposedly supported XP.
>Asus just said they didn't support XP for the chipset. After some
>searching I figured out that the chipset drivers were from Via,
>and Via were very nice about it. They had one download, which
>they explained was the driver kit for all systems. So Asus were
>actually going out of their way to block XP chipset support!

Just starting from the chip set I was usually able to track down
someone who had a driver, even if it wasn't supported by the board
manufacturer. Sometimes it would be from a thin client board company
since those tend to run older software. The toughest were usually DOS
drivers but even W/98 drivers were hard to come by once XP and Vista
were out.

Re: Any Chance For Win 7

<1bu3b2zoiypv8$.nto2r5i38d97$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2203&group=alt.windows7.general#2203

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:41:08 +0700
 by: JJ - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 08:41 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 17:01:27 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

> Just starting from the chip set I was usually able to track down
> someone who had a driver, even if it wasn't supported by the board
> manufacturer. Sometimes it would be from a thin client board company
> since those tend to run older software. The toughest were usually DOS
> drivers but even W/98 drivers were hard to come by once XP and Vista
> were out.

If it's an old machine, chances are that the manufacturer's site no longer
provide the required driver. But there's Web Archive which it may have
archives of the old versions of the site where the drivers are still
available.

PC/board manufacturers usually provide either complete drivers (as bundle or
separate), or nothing at all. They rarely provide only partial drivers. So,
information about the PC/board manufacturer is somewhat important.

Alternatively, you may want to try asking about the driver at your local
computer repair shops which have been around for a long time, cause they
usually keep a collection of hardware drivers. Old and new.