Center meeting at 4pm in 2C-543.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Cannot access Windows Installer Service

SubjectAuthor
* Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceBilly
+* Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServicePaul
|+* Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceBilly
||`* Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceMayayana
|| `* Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceBilly
||  `- Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceSailfish
|`- Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceJava Jive
`* Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServiceBilly
 `- Re: Cannot access Windows Installer ServicePaul

1
Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf1drq$8ot$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2180&group=alt.windows7.general#2180

From: Billy@Billy.com (Billy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Cannot access Windows Installer Service
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:01:44 -0700
 by: Billy - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:01 UTC

Trying to install Macrium Reflect Free on Win 7 Pro laptop.
Booted then

Downloaded then try to run.

Get error
Reflect.ink cannot replace

Then
After all seems to be near done
Windows installer Service cannot access.

Installation reversed and old installed Macrium Reflect free is no toast.

Rebooted and tried again but still no install success.

Suggestions please.

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf1ger$jlc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2181&group=alt.windows7.general#2181

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 17:46:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:46 UTC

Billy wrote:
> Trying to install Macrium Reflect Free on Win 7 Pro laptop.
> Booted then
>
> Downloaded then try to run.
>
> Get error
> Reflect.ink cannot replace
>
> Then
> After all seems to be near done
> Windows installer Service cannot access.
>
> Installation reversed and old installed Macrium Reflect free is no toast.
>
> Rebooted and tried again but still no install success.
>
> Suggestions please.

Installing won't work, unless the currently logged in user
doing the installation belongs to the administrator group.

In this example, the lower-left account entry is no good
for software installation purposes. Because it doesn't have the
word "Administrator". Administrator is both a group and an account.
Any person, added to the administrator group, can install a program.

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/30065d1485950573t-remove-password-local-account-windows-10-a-control_panel-2.png

The upper-left one is obscured, but the visible part
of that entry suggests it is ready to be making
changes to Program Files.

Program Files is owned by "Trusted Installer" account. You
can't log in as that account. But the Administrator can
use "Windows Installer Service", to acquire the Trusted Installer
"token" when a Setup.exe runs, and only then can files be added
or removed from Program Files tree. This is similar to borrowing
the restroom key at a service station, from the attendant.

The Windows Installer service ("TrustedInstaller") runs on demand,
and if not used within five seconds, it shuts itself down. Normally,
that detail is transparent to the user. The "timing" of that service
and rendezvous with it, is only an issue when you're hacking stuff,
not when you are doing "regular" install work as you are.

If you are a member of the administrator group, you should be able
to borrow the restroom key and install Macrium.

Paul

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf1pk0$9t6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2182&group=alt.windows7.general#2182

From: Billy@Billy.com (Billy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 17:22:28 -0700
 by: Billy - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 00:22 UTC

I did a msconfig and Windows Installer Service is checked.

I wonder if the problem is cause by the extra time to respond to the
first error message regarding Reflect.ink.

How would I clear this ?

Paul wrote:
> Billy wrote:
>> Trying to install Macrium Reflect Free on Win 7 Pro laptop.
>> Booted then
>>
>> Downloaded then try to run.
>>
>> Get error
>>   Reflect.ink cannot replace
>>
>> Then
>>     After all seems to be near done
>>         Windows installer Service  cannot access.
>>
>> Installation reversed and old installed Macrium Reflect free is no toast.
>>
>> Rebooted and tried again but still no install success.
>>
>> Suggestions please.
>
> Installing won't work, unless the currently logged in user
> doing the installation belongs to the administrator group.
>
> In this example, the lower-left account entry is no good
> for software installation purposes. Because it doesn't have the
> word "Administrator". Administrator is both a group and an account.
> Any person, added to the administrator group, can install a program.
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/30065d1485950573t-remove-password-local-account-windows-10-a-control_panel-2.png
>

> The upper-left one is obscured, but the visible part
> of that entry suggests it is ready to be making
> changes to Program Files.
>
> Program Files is owned by "Trusted Installer" account. You
> can't log in as that account. But the Administrator can
> use "Windows Installer Service", to acquire the Trusted Installer
> "token" when a Setup.exe runs, and only then can files be added
> or removed from Program Files tree. This is similar to borrowing
> the restroom key at a service station, from the attendant.
>
> The Windows Installer service ("TrustedInstaller") runs on demand,
> and if not used within five seconds, it shuts itself down. Normally,
> that detail is transparent to the user. The "timing" of that service
> and rendezvous with it, is only an issue when you're hacking stuff,
> not when you are doing "regular" install work as you are.
>
> If you are a member of the administrator group, you should be able
> to borrow the restroom key and install Macrium.
>
>    Paul

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf1tvi$uul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2183&group=alt.windows7.general#2183

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:35:49 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 01:35 UTC

"Billy" <Billy@Billy.com> wrote

| I did a msconfig and Windows Installer Service is checked.

Did you try redoing it as Paul suggested, running as admin
and elevating?
Another possibility is that you've got something running that WI
needs to access. WI has error codes that can be looked up.
Did you get an error code? The errors you posted don't seem to be
the exact text of the error.

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf2fgh$qu1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2184&group=alt.windows7.general#2184

From: Billy@Billy.com (Billy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 23:36:05 -0700
 by: Billy - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 06:36 UTC

The Reflect.ink error message is from the Macrium Reflect file
preparation. The Windows Installer message comes after or near the end
of MR setting up its files.

I need to locate Reflect.ink and delete it probably.

Mayayana wrote:
> "Billy" <Billy@Billy.com> wrote
>
> | I did a msconfig and Windows Installer Service is checked.
>
> Did you try redoing it as Paul suggested, running as admin
> and elevating?
> Another possibility is that you've got something running that WI
> needs to access. WI has error codes that can be looked up.
> Did you get an error code? The errors you posted don't seem to be
> the exact text of the error.

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf326a$fu7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2185&group=alt.windows7.general#2185

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:54:46 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:54 UTC

On 11/08/2021 22:46, Paul wrote:

> Installing won't work, unless the currently logged in user
> doing the installation belongs to the administrator group.
>
> In this example, the lower-left account entry is no good
> for software installation purposes. Because it doesn't have the
> word "Administrator". Administrator is both a group and an account.
> Any person, added to the administrator group, can install a program.

Of course, as far as the OP is concerned, you are right, he needs
Administrator access for the installation to complete properly.

However ...

<Just For The Record>

Not quite, the *default* name of the Windows administrator account is
indeed 'Administrator', but as an extra security feature you can rename
it via Computer Management, and you can even enforce the renaming via a
Group Policy, but only on certain versions: Ultimate = yes, Home Premium
= officially no because the Users & Groups plugin is missing from
Computer Management (but there are other ways).

The default name of the administrators group is 'Administrators',
definitely plural; I've not actually tried renaming that, but would
imagine that it's equally possible.

I suspect that it's also possible that lazy third party programmers
might not realise this, and try to access the administrator account by
its default name of 'Administrator' instead of using the recommended
method of its numeric ID, which never changes no matter how the account
has been renamed, and is always of the form ...
S-1-5-21-<installation ID>-500
.... whereas a normal user's account is similar but has an ID ending in a
number >= 1000. You can see this if you look at the profile list in the
registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

> Program Files is owned by "Trusted Installer" account.

Again, by default, but, again, this can be changed if you don't want a
Microsoft bot owning your system; Trusted Installer has only very
limited access to the directory trees on my system drive, none at all on
the data drive.

However, I should point out that mucking around with these things is
definitely *NOT* for the faint-hearted and/or unknowledgeable, or those
without an image back up of their installation that can be restored
without hassle within half-an-hour or so. When administrator accounts
and/or permissions are involved, it's easy to break a system
irretrievably by a single false move.

</JFTR>

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf3j29$em5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2187&group=alt.windows7.general#2187

From: Billy@Billy.com (Billy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 09:42:46 -0700
 by: Billy - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 16:42 UTC

Really confusing.

There is NO registry entry of Reflect.ink
"Everything" App finds no Reflect.ink file.

I am the Admin !
I also started the MR installer by right clicking on the installer and
selecting Run As Administrator.

And yet MR installer says it cannot remove Reflect.ink.
And then it says Windows Installer Service not available.

Billy wrote:
> Trying to install Macrium Reflect Free on Win 7 Pro laptop.
> Booted then
>
> Downloaded then try to run.
>
> Get error
>   Reflect.ink cannot replace
>
> Then
>     After all seems to be near done
>         Windows installer Service  cannot access.
>
> Installation reversed and old installed Macrium Reflect free is no toast.
>
> Rebooted and tried again but still no install success.
>
> Suggestions please.

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf3ldt$r6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2188&group=alt.windows7.general#2188

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 10:23:08 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:23 UTC

Billy graced us with on 8/11/2021 11:36 PM:

> The Reflect.ink error message is from the Macrium Reflect file
> preparation. The Windows Installer message comes after or near the end
> of MR setting up its files.
>
> I need to locate Reflect.ink and delete it probably.

Are you certain it's "Reflect.ink" rather than "Reflect.lnk" the "i"
being a lowercase "L"? That extention is used to reference a Window's
shortcut; although, I can't understand why a shortcut would prevent the
installation, off hand.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Cannot access Windows Installer Service

<sf42ed$p54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2189&group=alt.windows7.general#2189

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 17:05:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 21:05 UTC

Billy wrote:
> Really confusing.
>
> There is NO registry entry of Reflect.ink
> "Everything" App finds no Reflect.ink file.
>
> I am the Admin !
> I also started the MR installer by right clicking on the installer and
> selecting Run As Administrator.
>
> And yet MR installer says it cannot remove Reflect.ink.
> And then it says Windows Installer Service not available.

I don't see a troubleshooter for this in Control Panels : Troubleshooter.

"Windows Installer Service could not be accessed"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed-error-when-you-try-to-install-a-program-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista-fd0c3d5f-76f0-ba9d-d830-059c0943e13d

Here is a picture of the service. It is a "Manual Start" service,
meaning that when you try to install Macrium, the service starts itself.
If msiserver is not used for a while, it shuts down on its own, ready for
a manual start attempt by the next Setup.exe.

https://i.postimg.cc/63ZpHDQR/msiserver.gif

So a person would not panic, if it is not running, as most of
the time, it is not running. If you start it, then look in Task Manager
for "msiserver", that entry should run for minutes, waiting for
rendezvous with a .msi action. If you were to click "Start" and
it would not start or made a fuss, that would be a sign of
what your problem is.

But now I can't figure out where the TrustedInstaller entry in
Task Manager comes from :-) Doh! I know that one is there while
Windows Update is busy doing stuff.

Paul