"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing." -- G. Steinem

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

SubjectAuthor
* [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetoccam
+* [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetAndy Burns
|+- [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetoccam
|`- [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetJörg_Lorenz
+- [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetJörg_Lorenz
`* [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetPaul
 `- [Take 2] TB Connection to server resetoccam

1
[Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<ksouffFhcbuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2156&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2156

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:00:16 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:00 UTC

Hello

I'm currently running the latest version of TB (115.5.1 x64) on Win 10.

A few months month ago, when I updated my TB from the v102 to v115, I
noticed that my posts to usenet groups (e.g. this one) were failing
occasionally, with the error message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa0uqmqm87fk7y2/TB-server%20connection-reset.jpg?dl=0

(BTW, the same problem occurs with both <News.Individual.net> and
<news.eternal-september.org> servers.)

Several people here said 'Not a TB problem'. (It is.) I had no such
problem with TB v102 running on Win 7. The moment I upgraded to v115,
the problem cropped up in my Win7 laptop too.

P.S. I recently installed Betterbird v115 on Win 7, to see if it was
something the Betterbird folks had solved. 'Fraid not :-(

Baffled.

Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<ksp3u9Fj03dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2160&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2160

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:33:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:33 UTC

occam wrote:

> the same problem occurs with both <News.Individual.net> and
> <news.eternal-september.org> servers.

In my experience, the problem doesn't exit on NIN, but frequently exists
on E-S if the connection has been idle for a few minutes.

Maybe NIN does keepalives, but E-S doesn't?#

Maybe something in your setup doesn't do keepalives at all?

Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<ksp5j6FjgceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2162&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2162

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:01:42 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:01 UTC

On 29/11/2023 16:33, Andy Burns wrote:
> occam wrote:
>
>> the same problem occurs with both <News.Individual.net> and
>> <news.eternal-september.org> servers.
>
> In my experience, the problem doesn't exit on NIN, but frequently exists
> on E-S if the connection has been idle for a few minutes.
>
> Maybe NIN does keepalives, but E-S doesn't?#
>
> Maybe something in your setup doesn't do keepalives at all?

My setup is the same for TB v115 as it was just before the update, TB
v102. Would the installation of Thunderbird have change something?

Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<uk7rm6$tpn4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2163&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2163

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:16:54 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:16 UTC

On 29.11.23 15:00, occam wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm currently running the latest version of TB (115.5.1 x64) on Win 10.
>
> A few months month ago, when I updated my TB from the v102 to v115, I
> noticed that my posts to usenet groups (e.g. this one) were failing
> occasionally, with the error message:
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa0uqmqm87fk7y2/TB-server%20connection-reset.jpg?dl=0
>
> (BTW, the same problem occurs with both <News.Individual.net> and
> <news.eternal-september.org> servers.)
>
> Several people here said 'Not a TB problem'. (It is.) I had no such
> problem with TB v102 running on Win 7. The moment I upgraded to v115,
> the problem cropped up in my Win7 laptop too.
>
> P.S. I recently installed Betterbird v115 on Win 7, to see if it was
> something the Betterbird folks had solved. 'Fraid not :-(
>
> Baffled.

Believe me it is a server issue.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<uk7rom$tpn4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2164&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2164

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:18:14 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:18 UTC

On 29.11.23 16:33, Andy Burns wrote:
> occam wrote:
>
>> the same problem occurs with both <News.Individual.net> and
>> <news.eternal-september.org> servers.
>
> In my experience, the problem doesn't exit on NIN, but frequently exists
> on E-S if the connection has been idle for a few minutes.
>
> Maybe NIN does keepalives, but E-S doesn't?#
>
> Maybe something in your setup doesn't do keepalives at all?

The nntp-protocol is so old and primitve there is noch such thing as a
"keep alive". Simple polling and disconnecting.

BTW: I'm using TB 115 as well.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<uk85ns$vlkf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2168&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2168

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:08:27 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 20:08 UTC

On 11/29/2023 9:00 AM, occam wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm currently running the latest version of TB (115.5.1 x64) on Win 10.
>
> A few months month ago, when I updated my TB from the v102 to v115, I
> noticed that my posts to usenet groups (e.g. this one) were failing
> occasionally, with the error message:
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa0uqmqm87fk7y2/TB-server%20connection-reset.jpg?dl=0
>
> (BTW, the same problem occurs with both <News.Individual.net> and
> <news.eternal-september.org> servers.)
>
> Several people here said 'Not a TB problem'. (It is.) I had no such
> problem with TB v102 running on Win 7. The moment I upgraded to v115,
> the problem cropped up in my Win7 laptop too.
>
> P.S. I recently installed Betterbird v115 on Win 7, to see if it was
> something the Betterbird folks had solved. 'Fraid not :-(
>
> Baffled.

Using Wireshark, see if a server sends you a RST packet.

If it does, that is an overload indication. The server wishes
to break the connection. This is actually a natural part
of the Internet.

This protocol can also be abused. An ISP can use a DPI box, to
send RST packets in two directions. One packet is sent to you.
One packet is sent to the server. Both ends drop their connection,
thinking the other end is requesting this. This is how an ISP
does various kinds of traffic management.

The Bell Canada ISP did this for a three month period (a MITM attack),
when their DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) box was mis-programmed.
It was interfering with *all* web browsing (Port 80). You would randomly
go to a web site, and it wouldn't work. And if you checked
with Wireshark, you could see the occasional emission of RST packets.
And these were not coming from the server in question, which
had no performance problems with other ISPs. If I asked someone
"are you having intermittent issues with some.com?" others
would tell me everything where they were, was normal. It was
only by asking these questions, I could identify the potential
for a DPI problem. Suddenly one day, all of that nonsense just
stopped. And it was fixed.

E-S is like this. RST --->

Peers <----> E-S Transit Server <-----> reader.eternal-september.org <--- occam
(SpamAssassin) news.eternal-september.org

You can check the responsive-ness, using this test.

https://www.eternal-september.org/serverstatus.php?language=en

On occasion, you can check these, and see if there are
DNS changes, which can upset USENET operation with E-S for a day.

nslookup news.eternal-september.org

Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::2
135.181.20.170

nslookup www.eternal-september.org

Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::2
135.181.20.170

nslookup reader80.eternal-september.org

Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::1
95.217.65.137

nslookup reader443.eternal-september.org

Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::1
95.217.65.137

nslookup feeder.eternal-september.org

Addresses: 2a01:4f9:5a:451c::2
65.109.68.179

It's harder to explain why NIN is having a problem.
But that's why you have to use Wireshark.

Paul

Re: [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset

<ksqupfF51stU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2176&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2176

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:17:51 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:17 UTC

On 29/11/2023 21:08, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> https://www.eternal-september.org/serverstatus.php?language=en
>
> On occasion, you can check these, and see if there are
> DNS changes, which can upset USENET operation with E-S for a day.
>
> nslookup news.eternal-september.org
>
> Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::2
> 135.181.20.170
>
> nslookup www.eternal-september.org
>
> Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::2
> 135.181.20.170
>
> nslookup reader80.eternal-september.org
>
> Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::1
> 95.217.65.137
>
> nslookup reader443.eternal-september.org
>
> Addresses: 2a01:4f9:4b:44c2::1
> 95.217.65.137
>
> nslookup feeder.eternal-september.org
>
> Addresses: 2a01:4f9:5a:451c::2
> 65.109.68.179
>
> It's harder to explain why NIN is having a problem.
> But that's why you have to use Wireshark.

Thank you Paul. I have just installed it on my machine. Not having used
Wireshark before, this may take some time...

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / [Take 2] TB Connection to server reset