21 May, 2024: Computers section is temporarily disabled for maintenance. It will take several days before it's back.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Looking for VNC

SubjectAuthor
* Looking for VNCF. W.
+* Re: Looking for VNCA. Dumas
|`- Re: Looking for VNCF. W.
`* Re: Looking for VNCgareth evans
 +* Re: Looking for VNCF. W.
 |`* Re: Looking for VNCNY
 | +* Re: Looking for VNCA. Dumas
 | |`- Re: Looking for VNCgareth evans
 | +- Re: Looking for VNCF. W.
 | `- Re: Looking for VNCChris Hizny
 +* Re: Looking for VNCNY
 |+- Re: Looking for VNCgareth evans
 |`- Re: Looking for VNCDennis Lee Bieber
 +- Re: Looking for VNCJoe
 +- Re: Looking for VNCdruck
 +- Re: Looking for VNCnev young
 `- Re: Looking for VNCYes

1
Looking for VNC

<sa71nu$t1b$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2129&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2129

From: me@home.com (F. W.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Looking for VNC
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:50:22 +0200
 by: F. W. - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:50 UTC

What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?

FW

Re: Looking for VNC

<60c70dd3$0$22698$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2130&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2130

Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Looking for VNC
From: alexandre@dumas.fr.invalid (A. Dumas)
Date: 14 Jun 2021 08:05:39 GMT
 by: A. Dumas - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:05 UTC

F. W. <me@home.com> wrote:
> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?

sudo raspi-config
.... 3 Interface options
.... 3 VNC

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa73gl$p6f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2131&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2131

From: headstone255@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:20:35 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:20 UTC

On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?

The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.

Their combined abusive attitude does nothing more than to
call into question the very existence of this discussion
forum for surely, every point that has been raised here
in recent months could have been resolved by googling?

Anyway, looking at the recent VNC thread about headless
installation, before I actually get around to commissioning
any of my RPis, are there any pitfalls to be avoided when
setting up a domestic TV as the HDMI display for an RPi?

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa75d6$l5e$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2132&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2132

From: me@home.com (F. W.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:52:55 +0200
 by: F. W. - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:52 UTC

Am 14.06.2021 um 10:05 schrieb A. Dumas:
> F. W. <me@home.com> wrote:
>> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>
> sudo raspi-config
> ... 3 Interface options
> ... 3 VNC

Thank you!

FW

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa75e5$l5e$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2133&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2133

From: me@home.com (F. W.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:53:25 +0200
 by: F. W. - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:53 UTC

Am 14.06.2021 um 10:20 schrieb gareth evans:
> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:

>> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?

> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.

I did googling but I am not very experienced with RPi yet.

FW

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa76e1$b9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2135&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2135

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:10:21 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:10 UTC

"gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
>> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>
> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.
>
> Their combined abusive attitude does nothing more than to
> call into question the very existence of this discussion
> forum for surely, every point that has been raised here
> in recent months could have been resolved by googling?
>
> Anyway, looking at the recent VNC thread about headless
> installation, before I actually get around to commissioning
> any of my RPis, are there any pitfalls to be avoided when
> setting up a domestic TV as the HDMI display for an RPi?

Make sure you've got overscan turned off at the Pi and the TV so the TV
actually shows the full extent of the desktop including the Raspberry Pi
"start" button at the bottom left and the clock at the bottom right of the
taskbar.

Make sure the Pi is set to a CEA rather than DMT video mode so any sound the
Pi generates is sent by HDMI to the TV. That one baffled me until I learned
of the difference a few day ago.

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa76ka$ccs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2136&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2136

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:13:41 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:13 UTC

"F. W." <me@home.com> wrote in message news:sa75e5$l5e$3@gioia.aioe.org...
> Am 14.06.2021 um 10:20 schrieb gareth evans:
>> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
>
>>> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>
>> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
>> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.
>
> I did googling but I am not very experienced with RPi yet.

As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with people asking FAQs and
questions that have already been answered or can be found on Google. The
problem with Google is sometimes knowing how to ask the question in a form
that will elicit a) the correct answer, b) nothing but the answer, c) the
up-to-date answer that doesn't relate to an obsolete device/package version.

If it is easier to refer people to a web site with the answer than to type
it out, I will always post a precise URL to that page, rather than give a
throwaway comment like "Why didn't you Google it?".

Re: Looking for VNC

<60c728e6$0$22712$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2137&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2137

Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: alexandre@dumas.fr.invalid (A. Dumas)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:01:10 +0200
 by: A. Dumas - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:01 UTC

On 14-06-2021 11:13, NY wrote:
> As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with people asking FAQs and
> questions that have already been answered or can be found on Google. The
> problem with Google is sometimes knowing how to ask the question in a
> form that will elicit a) the correct answer, b) nothing but the answer,
> c) the up-to-date answer that doesn't relate to an obsolete
> device/package version.

Well, sure. But his question sure wasn't one of those, I thought. On the
other hand, the question by OP seemed like it was, so I answered directly.

> If it is easier to refer people to a web site with the answer than to
> type it out, I will always post a precise URL to that page, rather than
> give a throwaway comment like "Why didn't you Google it?".

My problem with it was: I knew the answer but to support it I would
still need to google up a precise page reference (which would be the
first result or thereabouts). And he didn't show any evidence of having
tried it himself. So I would be his manual google for an easy question.
Fcuk that. And certainly fcuk him now that he's throwing words like
"woke" around.

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa7arr$65a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2138&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2138

From: headstone255@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:26:02 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:26 UTC

On 14/06/2021 11:01, A. Dumas wrote:
> On 14-06-2021 11:13, NY wrote:
>> As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with people asking FAQs
>> and questions that have already been answered or can be found on
>> Google. The problem with Google is sometimes knowing how to ask the
>> question in a form that will elicit a) the correct answer, b) nothing
>> but the answer, c) the up-to-date answer that doesn't relate to an
>> obsolete device/package version.
>
> Well, sure. But his question sure wasn't one of those, I thought. On the
> other hand, the question by OP seemed like it was, so I answered directly.
>
>> If it is easier to refer people to a web site with the answer than to
>> type it out, I will always post a precise URL to that page, rather
>> than give a throwaway comment like "Why didn't you Google it?".
>
> My problem with it was: I knew the answer but to support it I would
> still need to google up a precise page reference (which would be the
> first result or thereabouts). And he didn't show any evidence of having
> tried it himself. So I would be his manual google for an easy question.
> Fcuk that. And certainly fcuk him now that he's throwing words like
> "woke" around.

"fcuk him" ??????

Grow up, Sonny!

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa7b0b$65a$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2139&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2139

From: headstone255@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:28:26 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:28 UTC

On 14/06/2021 10:10, NY wrote:
> "gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
>>> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>>
>> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
>> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.
>>
>> Their combined abusive attitude does nothing more than to
>> call into question the very existence of this discussion
>> forum for surely, every point that has been raised here
>> in recent months could have been resolved by googling?
>>
>> Anyway, looking at the recent VNC thread about headless
>> installation, before I actually get around to commissioning
>> any of my RPis, are there any pitfalls to be avoided when
>> setting up a domestic TV as the HDMI display for an RPi?
>
> Make sure you've got overscan turned off at the Pi and the TV so the TV
> actually shows the full extent of the desktop including the Raspberry Pi
> "start" button at the bottom left and the clock at the bottom right of
> the taskbar.
>
> Make sure the Pi is set to a CEA rather than DMT video mode so any sound
> the Pi generates is sent by HDMI to the TV. That one baffled me until I
> learned of the difference a few day ago.

Thankyou, but I fear that there might be a bit of a chicken-and-egg
situation there, having never switched an RPi on in the first place!

But thanks, I'll watch out for those !

Re: Looking for VNC

<20210614114600.0ade53eb@jresid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2140&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2140

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:46:00 +0100
 by: Joe - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:46 UTC

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:20:35 +0100
gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
> > What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>
> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.

Actually, it's the older, extremely non-woke ones among us who expect
someone to do at least minimal research by themselves first. Very often
such research will turn up one or more threads in a forum or newsgroup
which has already discussed the very same issue.

> Their combined abusive attitude does nothing more than to
> call into question the very existence of this discussion
> forum for surely, every point that has been raised here
> in recent months could have been resolved by googling?

No. There are many millions of answers which cannot be found through
Google, but even more which can, so it's worth a look first. Many of
the latter answers often come from information exchanged in forums,
which is why another of our pet hates are people who find the answer
elsewhere to a question they have asked but don't post that answer on
the forum. We are aware that we post not only for now but also for later
Googlers.

> Anyway, looking at the recent VNC thread about headless
> installation, before I actually get around to commissioning
> any of my RPis, are there any pitfalls to be avoided when
> setting up a domestic TV as the HDMI display for an RPi?

The usual HDMI things, magnified by the 'domestic' tag.

E.g.: I use a TV with my workstation. Always after powering up, it is
in standby and must have a button pushed on it to wake it up, even
though it has an active connection on the other end of the cable.

Usually just the presence of termination resistors are enough to
tell the other end it's OK to turn on, but there is often a particular
order to turn things on the get the HDMI link up. At the very least,
they need to be connected first.

--
Joe

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa7f8a$ht2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2141&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2141

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:40:58 +0100
 by: druck - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:40 UTC

On 14/06/2021 09:20, gareth evans wrote:
> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
>> What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>
> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.

Here on usenet we have been telling people to RTFM since before the woke
generation were even a glint in their gender non-specific parents eyes.

---druck

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa7o3p$1fta$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2143&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2143

From: me@home.com (F. W.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:12:10 +0200
 by: F. W. - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 14:12 UTC

Am 14.06.2021 um 11:13 schrieb NY:

> As far as I am concerned, I have no problem with people asking FAQs
> and questions that have already been answered or can be found on
> Google.

The solution is absolutely gorgeous. Simply click on it and the Pi is
available in the net. What a brilliant computer system!

FW

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa7r19$t6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2144&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2144

From: newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:02:01 +0100
 by: nev young - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:02 UTC

On 14/06/2021 09:20, gareth evans wrote:

> are there any pitfalls to be avoided when
> setting up a domestic TV as the HDMI display for an RPi?

Yes.

Beware of the TVs that claim to be "HD Ready". They often do not have a
1920x1080 display so you will never get a full screen picture without
losing the borders.

Also some do not have audio on the hdmi.

There are probably many others too.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: Looking for VNC

<sa7sse$bps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2146&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2146

From: noone@invalid.invalid.com (Yes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:33:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yes - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:33 UTC

gareth evans wrote:

> On 14/06/2021 08:50, F. W. wrote:
> > What term do you type in to find VNC-Server for RPI?
>
> The danger of posing such a question herein is that the
> immature woke generation will lambast you for not googling.
>
> Their combined abusive attitude does nothing more than to
> call into question the very existence of this discussion
> forum for surely, every point that has been raised here
> in recent months could have been resolved by googling?
>
> -- snipped --

Reminds me of an issue raised during an engineering class discussion.
Teacher posed a question re: three students given a problem re: cooking
thermodynamics. One used his training to work out the solution using
math and engineering formulas. Another did experimental tests and the
third called his mom. Each of the them solved the problem. The
teacher's question to the class was to consider which one was the most
effective in this case.

Re: Looking for VNC

<duvecg16vui40ms2cu5nhlt7fbcemqt3op@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2147&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2147

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:13:46 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:13 UTC

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:10:21 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> declaimed the
following:

>Make sure you've got overscan turned off at the Pi and the TV so the TV
>actually shows the full extent of the desktop including the Raspberry Pi
>"start" button at the bottom left and the clock at the bottom right of the
>taskbar.

On my Samsung TVs, if I don't use overscan, I get a large black border
around the desktop.

I believe the TVs also have an option to fit the image to display area,
but if the R-Pi is sending black borders, that is what is fit to display.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Looking for VNC

<623711910@f1.n770.z17891.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2150&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#2150

From: nospam.Chris.Hizny@f1.n770.z17891.fidonet.org (Chris Hizny)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:06:59 +1200
 by: Chris Hizny - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:06 UTC

Re: Re: Looking for VNC
By: NY to F. W. on Mon Jun 14 2021 10:13 am

> If it is easier to refer people to a web site with the answer than to type
> it out, I will always post a precise URL to that page, rather than give a
> throwaway comment like "Why didn't you Google it?".

One of the great frustrations I have is in googling any number of technical
issues, sometimes dozens of hits on the subject I am googling consist of people
asking the same question, and these useless "Google it," replies (often with
some obnoxious verbiage attached.)

The effect is that over time, Google search results pile up with these
pointless replies, making finding the solution difficult. Like, "I *am*
Googling this, right now, and all I find are abusive replies to other people
saying "Google it."

I appreciate people who take the time to link to specific URLs; that is always
a fair response.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Looking for VNC