panic: kernel trap (ignored)

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

SubjectAuthor
* Difficulties creating a new email account within ThunderbirdJohn C.
+* Difficulties creating a new email account within ThunderbirdAndy Burns
|`* Difficulties creating a new email account within ThunderbirdJohn C.
| `* Difficulties creating a new email account within ThunderbirdAndy Burns
|  `- Difficulties creating a new email account within ThunderbirdJohn C.
`- Difficulties creating a new email account within ThunderbirdCarlos E. R.

1
Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

<uk74p3$plsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2146&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2146

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 02:45:51 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:45 UTC

I'm experimenting around with TB so I can help out a relative who is
having problems creating a POP3 account with Charter (or "Spectrum" or
whatever they're calling themselves these days) and, on my own computer,
tried to get to where I can create a new email _account_. To do this, I:

1. Clicked on the hamburger
2. Clicked on "New"
3. Clicked on "Get a New Email Account..."

You would expect that this would be the straight-forward instructions
for accomplishing the task, but that's not the case:

What opens is a tab titled "Create a new email _address_" (NOTE:
"address", NOT "account) that only seems to allow me to "Buy a new email
address" from Thunderbird's partner "Mailfence" and to "Buy an email and
domain of (my) own" from Thunderbird's other partner "Gandi". I've put
up a screenshot of this window on Imgur. If you want to see what I'm
talking about, go here: https://imgur.com/a/kozZGwK

There is a subtle difference between what I wanted, which was to be able
to _create a new email account_, and what Thunderbird is attempting to
trick me into doing, which is to "Create a new email address".

The Thunderbird developers have buried the steps to create a new email
_account_ (eg. with your own ISP if they provide email service) way down
within the TB account settings window. To do this:

1. Click on the dreaded and hated hamburger
2. Click on "Account Settings" so that the "Account Settings" tab opens
3. On the left side of the screen, click on the "Account Actions"
dropdown (note that this is absolutely the incorrect place for this
procedure to be hidden, because the account settings you would expect
would only apply to the account you have selected above that dropdown)
4. Click on "Add Email Account..."

A window will now open which is titled "Set Up Your Existing Email
Address". _THIS_ is the window that should open when I follow the first
set of instructions I provided above.

It seems clear to me that the Thunderbird developers are trying to trick
newbies into buying Mailfence email addresses and buying Gandi email and
domains.

To me, this is the very definition of reprehensible and duplicitous
conduct. Or am I missing something?

--
John C.

Re: Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

<ksojjhFd6orU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2149&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2149

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:54:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:54 UTC

John C. wrote:

> 1. Clicked on the hamburger
> 2. Clicked on "New"
> 3. Clicked on "Get a New Email Account..."

Instead of "get a new email account" you should use "existing email"

Re: Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

<uk765q$pm2b$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2150&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2150

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 03:09:45 -0800
 by: John C. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:09 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> 1. Clicked on the hamburger
>> 2. Clicked on "New"
>> 3. Clicked on "Get a New Email Account..."
>
> Instead of "get a new email account" you should use "existing email"

Thanks, Andy. But you have to admit, that's not any more intuitive than
the second set of steps I provided in my OP. Following your steps does
open the mis-named screen for creating a new email _account_ though.

--
John C.

Re: Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

<ksontvFdq2uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2151&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2151

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:08:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:08 UTC

John C. wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Clicked on the hamburger
>>> 2. Clicked on "New"
>>> 3. Clicked on "Get a New Email Account..."
>>
>> Instead of "get a new email account" you should use "existing email"
>
> Thanks, Andy. But you have to admit, that's not any more intuitive than
> the second set of steps I provided in my OP. Following your steps does
> open the mis-named screen for creating a new email _account_ though.

You claimed the "existing email" option was somehow buried, when it
appears immediately below the "new email account" option that you picked.

Perhaps the phrasing could be clarified, but there's the whole concept
of creating an account within TB versus creating an account on a
provider's server.

Re: Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

<uk9vds$1bsf8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2180&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2180

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 04:32:59 -0800
 by: John C. - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:32 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> Instead of "get a new email account" you should use "existing email"
>>
>> Thanks, Andy. But you have to admit, that's not any more intuitive than
>> the second set of steps I provided in my OP. Following your steps does
>> open the mis-named screen for creating a new email _account_ though.
>
> You claimed the "existing email" option was somehow buried, when it
> appears immediately below the "new email account" option that you picked.
>
> Perhaps the phrasing could be clarified, but there's the whole concept
> of creating an account within TB versus creating an account on a
> provider's server.

The option is mis-named. It shouldn't be "Existing Mail Account...", it
should simply be "Mail Account...". IMO, the current name for the option
is a deliberately misleading misnomer, intended to confuse newbies into
thinking that their only option is to "Buy a new email address" from
Thunderbird's partner "Mailfence" and to "Buy an email and domain of
(my) own" from Thunderbird's other partner "Gandi".

My assertion stands.

--
John C.

Re: Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird

<kssgl3Fipa1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2196&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2196

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:28:51 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 22:28 UTC

On 2023-11-29 11:45, John C. wrote:
> I'm experimenting around with TB so I can help out a relative who is
> having problems creating a POP3 account with Charter (or "Spectrum" or
> whatever they're calling themselves these days) and, on my own computer,
> tried to get to where I can create a new email _account_. To do this, I:
>
> 1. Clicked on the hamburger
> 2. Clicked on "New"
> 3. Clicked on "Get a New Email Account..."
>
> You would expect that this would be the straight-forward instructions
> for accomplishing the task, but that's not the case:
>
> What opens is a tab titled "Create a new email _address_" (NOTE:
> "address", NOT "account) that only seems to allow me to "Buy a new email
> address" from Thunderbird's partner "Mailfence" and to "Buy an email and
> domain of (my) own" from Thunderbird's other partner "Gandi". I've put
> up a screenshot of this window on Imgur. If you want to see what I'm
> talking about, go here: https://imgur.com/a/kozZGwK

There is a button in that photo that says "Use an existing mail
account". The purpose is obvious to me.

On the hamburger menu of my Thunderbird, the top entry is "New Account",
and there I get "Get a new email" and below it "Existing email".

Again, everything very clear to me.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Difficulties creating a new email account within Thunderbird