The most important early product on the way to developing a good product is an imperfect version.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Install Linux in Windows

SubjectAuthor
* Install Linux in WindowsPent
+* Re: Install Linux in WindowsMarco Moock
|`* Re: Install Linux in WindowsDex
| `- Re: Install Linux in WindowsMarco Moock
+* Re: Install Linux in WindowsBobbie Sellers
|+- Re: Install Linux in WindowsMark Lloyd
|+- Re: Install Linux in WindowsDex
|`* Re: Install Linux in WindowsPaul
| `- Re: Install Linux in WindowsBobbie Sellers
+* Re: Install Linux in WindowsMike Easter
|`* Re: Install Linux in WindowsDex
| `* Re: Install Linux in WindowsMarco Moock
|  `* Re: Install Linux in WindowsDex
|   +- Re: Install Linux in WindowsMarco Moock
|   `- Re: Install Linux in WindowsPaul
`- Re: Install Linux in Windowsstepore

1
Install Linux in Windows

<t6cq40$gcb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2108&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2108

From: in@out.me.com (Pent)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Install Linux in Windows
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:52:31 +0100
 by: Pent - Sun, 22 May 2022 07:52 UTC

There is a program for installing Puppy Linux into a folder on a Hard
dive, called LICK

https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.4

Just boot Puppy from the folder instead of creating a bootable DVD or
USB stick, but it only works on Puppy based distributions.

Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros like
Ubuntu or MX Linux?

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<20220522104715.67e806a8@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2109&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2109

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Install Linux in Windows
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 10:47:15 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 22 May 2022 08:47 UTC

Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2022, um 08:52:31 Uhr schrieb Pent:

> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros
> like Ubuntu or MX Linux?

For Ubuntu Wubi exist: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6dihl$e07$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2110&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2110

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 07:49:23 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sun, 22 May 2022 14:49 UTC

On 5/22/22 00:52, Pent wrote:
> There is a program for installing Puppy Linux into a folder on a Hard
> dive, called LICK
>
>  https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.4
>
> Just boot Puppy from the folder instead of creating a bootable DVD or
> USB stick, but it only works on Puppy based distributions.
>
> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros like
> Ubuntu or MX Linux?

Microsoft has invested in their own distribution of Linux which runs
from Windows. Of course that is putting the cart (Window) before the
horse (Linux) better to put Linux on the fixed drive and run Windows
from a virtual machine(Thus Lunux would be protecting the
Windows from intrusions.)

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS,
the Perfect Computer Linux Operating System.

and a minor case of hypergraphia

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<jevacqF9jjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2111&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2111

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 10:32:09 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 22 May 2022 17:32 UTC

Pent wrote:
> There is a program for installing Puppy Linux into a folder on a Hard
> dive, called LICK
>
>  https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.4
>
> Just boot Puppy from the folder instead of creating a bootable DVD or
> USB stick, but it only works on Puppy based distributions.

That's not exactly what Lick is doing.

From Windows you run Lick and it installs Puppy to the hdd and it mod/s
the boot so that you can boot Puppy from the hdd instead of Win. So, to
me, the 'problem' is the boot mod.

That method/strategy has disadvantages compared to some other Puppy
alternatives like a frugal install which does NOT need to make changes
to the boot sector, but IS able to park essential Puppy elements on a
dir on the Win hdd.

> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros like
> Ubuntu or MX Linux?

The newest fork of wubi is wubiuefi which supports up to Ub 20.04 and I
think other -ub/s which use Ubiquity installer.

Personally, if I wanted to put my linux/es on something faster than a
USB, I would put Ventoy on an SSD instead of a USB and just copy
whichever linux/es I wanted to the SSD.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<X5viK.6943$3Gzd.6542@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2112&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2112

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:16:23 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sun, 22 May 2022 18:16 UTC

On 5/22/22 09:49, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

[snip]

>     Microsoft has invested in their own distribution of Linux which
> runs from Windows.  Of course that is putting the cart (Window) before
> the horse (Linux) better to  put Linux on the fixed drive and run
> Windows from a virtual machine(Thus Lunux would be protecting the
> Windows from intrusions.)
>
> bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS,
>   the Perfect Computer Linux Operating  System.
>
>     and a minor case of hypergraphia

That is what I do for programs that require Windows. Xubuntu host. Disk
speed matters, so I have both (host and virtual machines) on NVMe drives.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests." -- Thomas
Paine (1737-1809)

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6f7ck$md3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2113&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2113

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 22:51:16 -0700
 by: stepore - Mon, 23 May 2022 05:51 UTC

On 5/22/22 00:52, Pent wrote:

> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros like
> Ubuntu or MX Linux?

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL):
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6fhl3$rg7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2114&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2114

From: vaidam@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:46:28 +0100
 by: Dex - Mon, 23 May 2022 08:46 UTC

On 22/05/2022 18:32, Mike Easter wrote:
> Pent wrote:
>> There is a program for installing Puppy Linux into a folder on a Hard
>> dive, called LICK
>>
>>   https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.4
>>
>> Just boot Puppy from the folder instead of creating a bootable DVD or
>> USB stick, but it only works on Puppy based distributions.
>>
> That's not exactly what Lick is doing.
>
> From Windows you run Lick and it installs Puppy to the hdd and it mod/s
> the boot so that you can boot Puppy from the hdd instead of Win.  So, to
> me, the 'problem' is the boot mod.

Not a problem for me, or Win7 and Win10.

> That method/strategy has disadvantages compared to some other Puppy
> alternatives like a frugal install which does NOT need to make changes
> to the boot sector, but IS able to park essential Puppy elements on a
> dir on the Win hdd.
>
>> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros
>> like Ubuntu or MX Linux?
>>
> The newest fork of wubi is wubiuefi which supports up to Ub 20.04 and I
> think other -ub/s which use Ubiquity installer.

Tried it after Marco's reply and searching for a newer version. Ubuntu
wont shut down for some reason, have to hold power button down and do a
hard reset.

> Personally, if I wanted to put my linux/es on something faster than a
> USB, I would put Ventoy on an SSD instead of a USB and just copy
> whichever linux/es I wanted to the SSD.

That formats the partition, which is a big no for me. Thanks anyway.

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6fhq8$rg7$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2115&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2115

From: vaidam@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:49:12 +0100
 by: Dex - Mon, 23 May 2022 08:49 UTC

On 22/05/2022 09:47, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2022, um 08:52:31 Uhr schrieb Pent:
>
>> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros
>> like Ubuntu or MX Linux?
>
> For Ubuntu Wubi exist: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

No longer supported, download link heads straight to the Ubuntu desktop
download page.

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6fhu3$rg7$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2116&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2116

From: vaidam@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:51:16 +0100
 by: Dex - Mon, 23 May 2022 08:51 UTC

On 22/05/2022 15:49, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 5/22/22 00:52, Pent wrote:
>> There is a program for installing Puppy Linux into a folder on a Hard
>> dive, called LICK
>>
>>   https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.4
>>
>> Just boot Puppy from the folder instead of creating a bootable DVD or
>> USB stick, but it only works on Puppy based distributions.
>>
>> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros
>> like Ubuntu or MX Linux?
>
>     Microsoft has invested in their own distribution of Linux which
> runs from Windows.  Of course that is putting the cart (Window) before
> the horse (Linux) better to  put Linux on the fixed drive and run
> Windows from a virtual machine(Thus Lunux would be protecting the
> Windows from intrusions.)
>
> bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS,
>   the Perfect Computer Linux Operating  System.
>
>     and a minor case of hypergraphia

I'll stick with Windows :)

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<20220523111441.70bddc7a@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2117&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2117

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 11:14:41 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 23 May 2022 09:14 UTC

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2022, um 09:49:12 Uhr schrieb Dex:

> No longer supported, download link heads straight to the Ubuntu
> desktop download page.

I forgot to mention that, sorry.

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<20220523111507.02ce259b@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2118&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2118

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 11:15:07 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 23 May 2022 09:15 UTC

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2022, um 09:46:28 Uhr schrieb Dex:

> Tried it after Marco's reply and searching for a newer version.
> Ubuntu wont shut down for some reason, have to hold power button down
> and do a hard reset.

Please disable Plymouth in the boot options (disable quit and splash)
and then look what the problem is.

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6fpoc$mj9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2119&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2119

From: vaidam@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 11:04:44 +0100
 by: Dex - Mon, 23 May 2022 10:04 UTC

On 23/05/2022 10:15, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Montag, 23. Mai 2022, um 09:46:28 Uhr schrieb Dex:
>
>> Tried it after Marco's reply and searching for a newer version.
>> Ubuntu wont shut down for some reason, have to hold power button down
>> and do a hard reset.
>
> Please disable Plymouth in the boot options (disable quit and splash)
> and then look what the problem is.

I get this trying to shutdown.

https://paste.pictures/eSOHFnqzY.jpg

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<20220523135935.1de45219@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2120&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2120

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:59:35 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 23 May 2022 11:59 UTC

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2022, um 11:04:44 Uhr schrieb Dex:

> On 23/05/2022 10:15, Marco Moock wrote:
> > Am Montag, 23. Mai 2022, um 09:46:28 Uhr schrieb Dex:
> >
> >> Tried it after Marco's reply and searching for a newer version.
> >> Ubuntu wont shut down for some reason, have to hold power button
> >> down and do a hard reset.
> >
> > Please disable Plymouth in the boot options (disable quit and
> > splash) and then look what the problem is.
> >

> I get this trying to shutdown.
>
> https://paste.pictures/eSOHFnqzY.jpg

Interesting. Which device is loop0 when running the OS?
I/o error normally means faulty drives/cables.

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6h63d$8ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2127&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2127

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 19:41:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 23 May 2022 23:41 UTC

On 5/22/2022 10:49 AM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 5/22/22 00:52, Pent wrote:
>> There is a program for installing Puppy Linux into a folder on a Hard dive, called LICK
>>
>>   https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.4
>>
>> Just boot Puppy from the folder instead of creating a bootable DVD or USB stick, but it only works on Puppy based distributions.
>>
>> Are there other programs that can do that with other Linux distros like Ubuntu or MX Linux?
>
>     Microsoft has invested in their own distribution of Linux which runs from Windows.  Of course that is putting the cart (Window) before the horse (Linux) better to  put Linux on the fixed drive and run Windows from a virtual machine(Thus Lunux would be protecting the
> Windows from intrusions.)
>
> bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS,
>   the Perfect Computer Linux Operating  System.
>
>     and a minor case of hypergraphia

You can run rootless Linux graphical applications on Windows,
with no outward signs of the usual decorations. The beta version
for the Insider version of Windows10 was terribly jerky, but that
is fixed now. The Insider version of Windows10 is another name
for Windows 11.

They could have put this on Windows 10, but marketing said
not to.

This is a Ubuntu distro under the hood, in a couple containers.
With AMD graphics, you get a driver straight from the AMD site
to enable WSLg, while with NVidia graphics, the Windows Update
NVidia driver is good enough.

[Picture] If the frame is blank, right click and select "reload"

https://i.postimg.cc/9MWTXFgj/Dualing-Firefoxes.gif

I've already used this -- for cases where some UserAgent
sniffing activity requires a second browser with impeccable
credentials. And that would be the Linux one :-) Because I
don't like the incessant updating activity of the Windows one,
I just use an ESR on the Windows side.

Since the two profiles are in entirely different places,
they do not conflict.

The Ubuntu update activity is a bit different in this
environment, in that you type a command to do whatever
is in queue. There is a little less pestering. A nice model.

Since changing my graphics from AMD to NVidia, my VirtualBox 6
is working a little better, but it still isn't perfect. It isn't
qemu kvm good. So while I would normally suggest a decorated VM
window for this sort of thing, VirtualBox still isn't 100%.
(It was working for a bit, but some update damaged it.)

And I finally broke down and tried the Hyper-V interface...
and did not like the patronizing attitude. So back in the box
it goes. The thing is, Ben from Connectix showed them how
to design an interface. Why couldn't they have learned
something from that ? (Connectix used to be a Mac hw/sw
company until Microsoft bought it for the "Virtual PC" product,
which got ported to Windows.) The product succumbed to the
usual "form over function" disease.

Paul

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6heg2$oie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2129&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2129

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 19:04:50 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Tue, 24 May 2022 02:04 UTC

On 5/23/22 16:41, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> environment, in that you type a command to do whatever
> is in queue. There is a little less pestering. A nice model.
>
> Since changing my graphics from AMD to NVidia, my VirtualBox 6
> is working a little better, but it still isn't perfect. It isn't
> qemu kvm good. So while I would normally suggest a decorated VM
> window for this sort of thing, VirtualBox still isn't 100%.
> (It was working for a bit, but some update damaged it.)
>
> And I finally broke down and tried the Hyper-V interface...
> and did not like the patronizing attitude. So back in the box
> it goes. The thing is, Ben from Connectix showed them how
> to design an interface. Why couldn't they have learned
> something from that ? (Connectix used to be a Mac hw/sw
> company until Microsoft bought it for the "Virtual PC" product,
> which got ported to Windows.) The product succumbed to the

Thanks for the report, Paul.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS,
the Perfect Computer Linux Operating System.

and a minor case of hypergraphia

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Install Linux in Windows

<t6hjef$475$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2130&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2130

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 23:29:20 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 24 May 2022 03:29 UTC

On 5/23/2022 6:04 AM, Dex wrote:
> On 23/05/2022 10:15, Marco Moock wrote:
>> Am Montag, 23. Mai 2022, um 09:46:28 Uhr schrieb Dex:
>>
>>> Tried it after Marco's reply and searching for a newer version.
>>> Ubuntu wont shut down for some reason, have to hold power button down
>>> and do a hard reset.
>>
>> Please disable Plymouth in the boot options (disable quit and splash)
>> and then look what the problem is.
>>

> I get this trying to shutdown.
>
> https://paste.pictures/eSOHFnqzY.jpg

Try hitting "return" or "control-c" as a response.
Sometimes, while producing those long chains of
"this partition has been dismounted, but I will
continue to access it" behavior, there is also
something waiting on input, and a "return" is
sufficient to satisfy it.

Paul

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Install Linux in Windows