"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." -- Bert Lantz

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

SubjectAuthor
* What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsOttavio Caruso
`* What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsJörg_Lorenz
 `* What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsJörg_Knobloch
  `* What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsJörg_Lorenz
   +* What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsJörg_Knobloch
   |`- What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsJörg_Lorenz
   `* What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsOttavio Caruso
    `- What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vsJörg_Lorenz

1
What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<uk1rcv$3nhd0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2127&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2127

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs
copying a profile?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:35:11 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:35 UTC

In the last few weeks I switched from TB to Betterbird so many times
that the layout started to become weird. So I stuck with Betterbird,
created a brand new profile and imported settings from the old TB
profile using the import wizard.

Apart from re-inputting all the usernames and passwords for my accounts,
all settings were pretty much imported and now Betterbird works like a
charm.

What does this import wizard do that copying a profile doesn't?

And, incidentally, it would be great if Firefox had it, too.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<uk2b70$3q9rl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2128&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2128

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:05:04 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:05 UTC

Am 27.11.23 um 11:35 schrieb Ottavio Caruso:
> In the last few weeks I switched from TB to Betterbird so many times
> that the layout started to become weird. So I stuck with Betterbird,
> created a brand new profile and imported settings from the old TB
> profile using the import wizard.
>
> Apart from re-inputting all the usernames and passwords for my accounts,
> all settings were pretty much imported and now Betterbird works like a
> charm.
>
> What does this import wizard do that copying a profile doesn't?
>
> And, incidentally, it would be great if Firefox had it, too.

Copy the profile and use the profilemanager. In both cases!

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<78217c90-1c31-4f3b-8da4-aaef4e0fff5c@news.betterbird.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2132&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2132

From: jorgk@jorgk.com (Jörg Knobloch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:50:48 +0100
 by: Jörg Knobloch - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:50 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 16:05, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> What does this import wizard do that copying a profile doesn't?
>
> Copy the profile and use the profilemanager. In both cases!

It's the wrong way round. The question should be:

Which settings don't come across when using import instead of copying
the profile?

Answer: Unknown. We've seen many problems on imported profiles. Hence we
wrote on our support pages:

Warning: We have had many support cases where things don't work in
mysterious ways after using the import function to import a Thunderbird
profile. This functionality comes directly from our Thunderbird base and
appears to be deficient. So please use with care. It's better to
manually copy a Thunderbird profile in the OS if you require a copy in
the first place instead of running Betterbird on an existing Thunderbird
profile. We're unable to support users who have used the import function.

P.S.: I don't read this NG regularly, write to our support instead.

--
Viele Grüße, Jörg
Sent with Betterbird. Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<uk5k3v$e1b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2133&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2133

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:55:27 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:55 UTC

Am 28.11.23 um 21:50 schrieb Jörg Knobloch:
> On 27 Nov 2023 16:05, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>>> What does this import wizard do that copying a profile doesn't?
>>
>> Copy the profile and use the profilemanager. In both cases!
>
> It's the wrong way round. The question should be:
>
> Which settings don't come across when using import instead of copying
> the profile?
>
> Answer: Unknown. We've seen many problems on imported profiles. Hence we
> wrote on our support pages:
>
> Warning: We have had many support cases where things don't work in
> mysterious ways after using the import function to import a Thunderbird
> profile. This functionality comes directly from our Thunderbird base and
> appears to be deficient. So please use with care. It's better to
> manually copy a Thunderbird profile in the OS if you require a copy in
> the first place instead of running Betterbird on an existing Thunderbird
> profile. We're unable to support users who have used the import function.

That is exactly what I recommended to Ottavio.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<e50cac33-b8f4-49bf-85dc-5a12afbacbfc@news.betterbird.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2135&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2135

From: jorgk@jorgk.com (Jörg Knobloch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:00:28 +0100
 by: Jörg Knobloch - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:00 UTC

On 28 Nov 2023 21:55, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> That is exactly what I recommended to Ottavio.

No one is disputing this :-) - Sorry, I'm late to the party. I was asked
to stay out of this NG a while ago: <AQ6lJ.49730$JZ3.46879@fx05.iad>

--
Viele Grüße, Jörg
Sent with Betterbird. Simply better. www.betterbird.eu
Es ist immer wieder erstaunlich: Kaum macht man's richtig, schon
funktioniert's!

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<uk6mes$ms0v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2140&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2140

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:41:32 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:41 UTC

Am 28.11.23 um 22:00 schrieb Jörg Knobloch:
> On 28 Nov 2023 21:55, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> That is exactly what I recommended to Ottavio.
>
> No one is disputing this :-) - Sorry, I'm late to the party. I was asked
> to stay out of this NG a while ago: <AQ6lJ.49730$JZ3.46879@fx05.iad>

Your contribution is appreciated.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<uk7h64$s6q7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2157&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2157

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:17:40 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:17 UTC

Am 28/11/2023 um 20:55 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:

>>> Copy the profile and use the profilemanager. In both cases!
>>
>> It's the wrong way round. The question should be:
>>
>> Which settings don't come across when using import instead of copying
>> the profile?
>>
>> Answer: Unknown. We've seen many problems on imported profiles. Hence we
>> wrote on our support pages:
>>
>> Warning: We have had many support cases where things don't work in
>> mysterious ways after using the import function to import a Thunderbird
>> profile. This functionality comes directly from our Thunderbird base and
>> appears to be deficient. So please use with care. It's better to
>> manually copy a Thunderbird profile in the OS if you require a copy in
>> the first place instead of running Betterbird on an existing Thunderbird
>> profile. We're unable to support users who have used the import function.
>
> That is exactly what I recommended to Ottavio.

But this is what created the profile corruption in the 1st place.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: What does "import from another Thunderbird installation" do vs copying a profile?

<uk7s0k$tpn3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2166&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2166

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
copying a profile?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:22:28 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:22 UTC

On 29.11.23 15:17, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 28/11/2023 um 20:55 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:

>>> It's the wrong way round. The question should be:
>>>
>>> Which settings don't come across when using import instead of copying
>>> the profile?
>>>
>>> Answer: Unknown. We've seen many problems on imported profiles. Hence we
>>> wrote on our support pages:
>>>
>>> Warning: We have had many support cases where things don't work in
>>> mysterious ways after using the import function to import a Thunderbird
>>> profile. This functionality comes directly from our Thunderbird base and
>>> appears to be deficient. So please use with care. It's better to
>>> manually copy a Thunderbird profile in the OS if you require a copy in
>>> the first place instead of running Betterbird on an existing Thunderbird
>>> profile. We're unable to support users who have used the import function.
>>
>> That is exactly what I recommended to Ottavio.
>>

> But this is what created the profile corruption in the 1st place.

Certainly not.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)