From: NotReal@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 13:45:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 13:45 UTC

I run my own Linux mail server with email accounts for different
purposes and access those accounts using the Linux version of Alpine
through ssh. At the beginning of every month I am asked if I want to
move sent and received mail to other folders to save space for each
account. Is there way of turning that feature off? I have looked in
Main/Setup/Config but do not see any way of disabling this. Am I just
missing it?

Re: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?

<ip9hdlFidmnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=207&group=comp.mail.pine#207

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 16:35:33 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:35 UTC

On 01/09/2021 15.45, NotReal wrote:
> I run my own Linux mail server with email accounts for different
> purposes and access those accounts using the Linux version of Alpine
> through ssh. At the beginning of every month I am asked if I want to
> move sent and received mail to other folders to save space for each
> account. Is there way of turning that feature off? I have looked in
> Main/Setup/Config but do not see any way of disabling this. Am I just
> missing it?

https://kb.iu.edu/d/aftk
and after a long time scrolling you should see it, unless like me got so
tired of reading that you missed it.

You can also edit the .pinerc file

default is:
pruning-rule=

no prune at all:
pruning-rule=no-no

command line to change default to no-no:
sed 's/pruning-rule=/pruning-rule=no-no/' -i ~/.pinerc

--

//Aho

Re: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?

<sgo5hp$3ig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=208&group=comp.mail.pine#208

From: NotReal@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:17:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:17 UTC

J.O. Aho wrote:

> pruning-rule=no-no

I did go to the end and even used ctl-w to search. Unfortunately in
both cases I was looking for terms such as “move” and “save”. It
never occurred to me to look for “prune”.

In any case, I remmed out “pruned-folders=” and inserted
“pruning-rule=no-no” in /etc/pine.conf. Based on starting pine in
accounts I had not looked at previously this morning, it appears to be
working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and taking the
time to present all the possible ways of solving my problem. It is
much appreciated.

Re: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?

<sgo68b$8mr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=209&group=comp.mail.pine#209

From: NotReal@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:29:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:29 UTC

NotReal wrote:

> J.O. Aho wrote:
>
> > pruning-rule=no-no
>

> I did go to the end and even used ctl-w to search. Unfortunately in
> both cases I was looking for terms such as “move” and “save”. It
> never occurred to me to look for “prune”.
>
> In any case, I remmed out “pruned-folders=” and inserted
> “pruning-rule=no-no” in /etc/pine.conf. Based on starting pine in
> accounts I had not looked at previously this morning, it appears to be
> working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and taking
> the time to present all the possible ways of solving my problem. It
> is much appreciated.

I happened to read your post again and realized I probably did not have
to take out “pruned-folders=”, particularly when I found
"pruning-rule=" further down. Oh well, at least it works. Thanks
again.

Re: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?

<ipa45dFm0oqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=211&group=comp.mail.pine#211

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 21:55:24 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 19:55 UTC

On 01/09/2021 17.29, NotReal wrote:
> NotReal wrote:
>
>> J.O. Aho wrote:
>>
>>> pruning-rule=no-no
>>

>> I did go to the end and even used ctl-w to search. Unfortunately in
>> both cases I was looking for terms such as “move” and “save”. It
>> never occurred to me to look for “prune”.
>>
>> In any case, I remmed out “pruned-folders=” and inserted
>> “pruning-rule=no-no” in /etc/pine.conf. Based on starting pine in
>> accounts I had not looked at previously this morning, it appears to be
>> working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and taking
>> the time to present all the possible ways of solving my problem. It
>> is much appreciated.
>
> I happened to read your post again and realized I probably did not have
> to take out “pruned-folders=”, particularly when I found
> "pruning-rule=" further down. Oh well, at least it works. Thanks
> again.

No, I don't think you needed to do anything with "pruned-folders", as
it's meant for adding additional folders to be pruned in the same manner
as sent every month.

Glad you got it working as you wanted.

--

//Aho

Re: How Do I Stop Monthly Query To Move Mail?

<sgsgka$jhh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=212&group=comp.mail.pine#212

From: dennisdavis@fastmail.fm (Dennis Davis)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:50:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dennis Davis - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:50 UTC

In article <ipa45dFm0oqU1@mid.individual.net>,
J.O. Aho <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 01/09/2021 17.29, NotReal wrote:
>> NotReal wrote:

>>> I did go to the end and even used ctl-w to search. Unfortunately in
>>> both cases I was looking for terms such as “move” and “save”. It
>>> never occurred to me to look for “prune”.
>>>
>>> In any case, I remmed out “pruned-folders=” and inserted
>>> “pruning-rule=no-no” in /etc/pine.conf. Based on starting pine in
>>> accounts I had not looked at previously this morning, it appears to be
>>> working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and taking
>>> the time to present all the possible ways of solving my problem. It
>>> is much appreciated.
>>
>> I happened to read your post again and realized I probably did not have
>> to take out “pruned-folders=”, particularly when I found
>> "pruning-rule=" further down. Oh well, at least it works. Thanks
>> again.
>
>No, I don't think you needed to do anything with "pruned-folders", as
>it's meant for adding additional folders to be pruned in the same manner
>as sent every month.
>
>Glad you got it working as you wanted.

If you have set this:

[X] Expose Hidden Config

then you can find this option:

Last Time Prune Questioned = 150.1

The help for this option says:

OPTION: Last-Time-Prune Question

This value records the last time you were asked about deleting old
sent-mail. It is set automatically by Alpine at the beginning of each month.
In the past, if you wished to suppress the monthly sent-mail pruning
feature, you could set this to a date in the future. This value is relative
to the year 1900, so to set this, for example, to October 2005, use 105.10.

You can still do that if you wish, or you can use the Pruning Rule option,
which is probably a little more convenient to use.

So I'm not due to be asked about pruning until January 2050.

I'm not sure if this setting applies to folders other than
the sent-mail folder, ie folders set by the "Pruned Folders"
configuration setting. I suspect it does, but experimentation may
be needed.
--
Dennis Davis <dennisdavis@fastmail.fm>