Swap read error. You lose your mind.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

SubjectAuthor
* I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
+* I can not sign mails with s/mimeGrant Taylor
|`* I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
| `* I can not sign mails with s/mimeGrant Taylor
|  +* I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
|  |`- I can not sign mails with s/mimeGrant Taylor
|  `- I can not sign mails with s/mimeJörg_Lorenz
+* I can not sign mails with s/mimeNobody
|`- I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
+* I can not sign mails with s/mimeDave Roya
|+- I can not sign mails with s/mimeDave Roya
|`- I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
+* I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
|`* I can not sign mails with s/mimeDave Roya
| `* I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
|  `* I can not sign mails with s/mimeDave Roya
|   +- I can not sign mails with s/mimeDave Royal
|   +* I can not sign mails with s/mimeAndy Burns
|   |+* I can not sign mails with s/mimeDave Roya
|   ||`- I can not sign mails with s/mime [SOLVED]Carlos E. R.
|   |`- I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
|   `- I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
+- I can not sign mails with s/mimeBob Henson
+- I can not sign mails with s/mimeCarlos E. R.
`* I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundCarlos E. R.
 +* I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundDave Roya
 |`- I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundCarlos E. R.
 `* I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundAndy Burns
  `* I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundCarlos E. R.
   `* I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundAndy Burns
    `- I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaroundCarlos E. R.

Pages:12
Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

<ujr8hs$2g6db$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2112&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2112

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 22:36:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 22:36 UTC

On 24 Nov 2023 22:51:48 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>On 2023-11-17 21:57, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have s/mime configured. That is, in Account Setup the account End to
>> End encryption has the certificates for signing and encryption selected.
>>
>> I write a post, I select sign.
>>
>> Thunderbird can not save the draft, nor send. It says:
>>
>> +++--------------------
>> Sending of the message failed.
>> You specified that this message should be digitally signed, but the
>> application either failed to find the signing certificate specified in
>> your Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings, or the certificate has expired.
>> --------------------++-
>>
>> The certificate is certainly there, the configuration found it, and it
>> expires in 2026.
>We found that the issue is that the certificate doesn't list any email.
>
>I found a workaround:
>
>Write the text to certify in LibreOffice writer, then export to PDF, and
>in the dialog add a certificate.
>
>Finally, just attach the resulting signed (certified) PDF to the email,
>and indicate this information in the text of the email.

Interesting. And it doesn't limit you to using email for the file
transmission: you could share it on a server, Dropbox for example, and
send a link. I didn't know LibreOffice had that facility.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

<kscpchF687vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2113&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2113

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 00:19:45 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 23:19 UTC

On 2023-11-24 23:36, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2023 22:51:48 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-11-17 21:57, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> I found a workaround:
>>
>> Write the text to certify in LibreOffice writer, then export to PDF, and
>> in the dialog add a certificate.
>>
>> Finally, just attach the resulting signed (certified) PDF to the email,
>> and indicate this information in the text of the email.
>>

> Interesting. And it doesn't limit you to using email for the file
> transmission: you could share it on a server, Dropbox for example, and
> send a link. I didn't know LibreOffice had that facility.

Yeah, I knew because I used this sometimes to sign invoices, which I
then sent using email or whatsapp :-)

It's a neat feature. The PDF export in LO has a lot of options.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

<ksdoh0FdsgrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2115&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2115

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:11:12 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:11 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I found a workaround:

But if you've paid your 'national mint' for an email certificate, won't
they re-issue you with one that actually is?

Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

<ksdvpaFforcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2116&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2116

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:15:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:15 UTC

On 2023-11-25 09:11, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> I found a workaround:
>
> But if you've paid your 'national mint' for an email certificate, won't
> they re-issue you with one that actually is?

No.

First, I did not pay, except with my taxes. The certificate is free,
because it is a requirement for paying taxes online, and they do want us
to pay online as this reduces the manpower needed. The alternative is
get an appointment at their tax office so that a temp official fills the
tax forms for you. Till now, filling it yourself in paper was not
admisible (although I think there was a court decision reverting that).

The procedure for "correcting" the certificate is: first I void the
certificate, then I ask for a new one. This needs some form filling
online, then book an appointment⁽¹⁾ with the authorities so that they
compare your ID document with your person, then they issue a paper with
a long number to type and retrieve the certificate when you get back home.

The last time I requested an appointment, all the time slots on my city
(which is a big one) were occupied, and the web sites did not give me an
appointment later. I was supposed to go click another day, and with
luck, find a time slot a month in advance. Or pay some black market
intermediary who has got all the time slota and was selling them. Or,
click an option in the website to find the soonest time slot anywhere in
the region. It did, then I had to travel 60 kilometres to be there at an
early hour.

Ok, the trip was entertaining, I did some tourism on the return trip.

(1) The appointments were necessary in covid times, but the obligation
has stayed after covid. The functionaries have found they love the empty
offices.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

<kseh25FdsgrU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2117&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2117

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 15:09:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 15:09 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> But if you've paid your 'national mint' for an email certificate,
>> won't they re-issue you with one that actually is?
>
> No.

Oh, I thought I saw something about it costing a couple of Euros on the
FMNT website?

> First, I did not pay, except with my taxes. The certificate is free,
> because it is a requirement for paying taxes online, and they do want us
> to pay online as this reduces the manpower needed. The alternative is
> get an appointment at their tax office so that a temp official fills the
> tax forms for you. Till now, filling it yourself in paper was not
> admisible (although I think there was a court decision reverting that).

Our government manages to accept tax forms online without being
digitally signed, just a username/password and 2FA SMS code. You can
even deliver them on paper (though the deadline is months earlier)
without e.g. showing a passport ...

Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround

<ksfg4kFqejqU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2118&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2118

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 01:00:20 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 00:00 UTC

On 2023-11-25 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> But if you've paid your 'national mint' for an email certificate,
>>> won't they re-issue you with one that actually is?
>>
>> No.
>
> Oh, I thought I saw something about it costing a couple of Euros on the
> FMNT website?

Oh :-?

They have several offerings, I think. Mine is gratis. Unless they have
changed tings meanwhile.

>> First, I did not pay, except with my taxes. The certificate is free,
>> because it is a requirement for paying taxes online, and they do want
>> us to pay online as this reduces the manpower needed. The alternative
>> is get an appointment at their tax office so that a temp official
>> fills the tax forms for you. Till now, filling it yourself in paper
>> was not admisible (although I think there was a court decision
>> reverting that).
>
> Our government manages to accept tax forms online without being
> digitally signed, just a username/password and 2FA SMS code.  You can
> even deliver them on paper (though the deadline is months earlier)
> without e.g. showing a passport ...

Interesting, no certificate.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: I can not sign mails with s/mime - workaround